• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The thing that bugs me about DmC?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I think they were going to make more out of this point. I was looking through the unused dialogue and found this:

'The sacred soul was born of an angel and demon. She was Nephilim, like you. Mankind are your brothers and sisters.' Not sure who's saying that line- Eva/Sparda? But whoever it is, they are grouping Dante with the humans. I guess they mean brothers and sisters in a figurative sense, but still I thought it was worth bringing up.

Domenic93

this bring up another elephant in the room, why is it that they loose humanity when they use the devil trigger, so what the angel genes are there just for show?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
this bring up another elephant in the room, why is it that they loose humanity when they use the devil trigger, so what the angel genes are there just for show?
Dpn't know. Devil genes are dominant over angel ones? Maybe angel genes would be stronger if it was angel father/ devil mother?:/

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Dpn't know. Devil genes are dominant over angel ones? Maybe angel genes would be stronger if it was angel father/ devil mother?:/
Mother's genes can actually be more dominent, since more genetic material comes from the mother, but I think it has to do with losing control of the demonic side more than just "you lose humanity". DT is like pure rage in DmC from what it shows in cutscene usage. It took Kat practically begging Dante to stop for him to realize he was losing control.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
I believe this is why Vergil says to Dante at the end of the game, "You're not human Dante, and you never will be."
In game they never say that they are human, they talk about humanity, in that Dante shows compassion and love and all this other mushy stuff because he wants to belong instead of being an outcast, which is how he has lived his life up to DmC.

XDmC12345X

#BringBackTheStupidFiles
Yes mostly humanity is in the mind in this game but it's hard to relate to them since there not human there pretty much aliens and they don't have the gifts/powers humans posses that former devil may cry games always pointed out in. But my point is how can they have humanity in themselves meaning physical and lose it if they have no human DNA in them which is funny how vergil loses humanity but he's not human he's not really losing his human side he's just giving in to his devil side and rejecting the angel side
Just stop thinking science and chromosomes, and relize that even a devil may cry(haha).......humanity is more than just dna and chromosomes, its about love,compassion,greed,lust. They are relatable not because they are part human but because they have these qualities that make them human in a way.

berto

I Saw the Devil
There's a concept that apparently not many people understand and it's just so irritating in the DmC world that bugs me. Both Dante and Vergil are nephilm which is a hybrid of angel and demon so why does everyone think they have humanity in them if there not even human. Seems odd how they could lose humanity when they have none to begin with since they are a hybrid of two super powers. That's all that really bothers me just giving human traits to something that's not even close to human in the first place is just completely controversial to your story and the name of the game.
Basic story telling. You want the audience to have some connection with them in this ever so fundamental level. If there isn't a connection with even that you will struggle to make the character as appealing. It would've been a bold move but that might be too much to ask.

Another example were some instances in the old Star Trek movies. The aliens that were just so human example comes up a lot. They are not human but associating certain positive attributes to them and referring to them as 'human quality' is common place. Even in the dinner scene in Star Trek 6 one of the aliens takes offence to that, to phrase 'basic human rights.'

It's also arrogant bullshit on our part. Not like we are that pure to begin with.

I believe this is why Vergil says to Dante at the end of the game, "You're not human Dante, and you never will be."
In game they never say that they are human, they talk about humanity, in that Dante shows compassion and love and all this other mushy stuff because he wants to belong instead of being an outcast, which is how he has lived his life up to DmC.
I find that to be a point of BS as well. If he isn't human well good for him, why would he want to be.

I've spend most of my life surrounded by people not of my race. I don't have any Mexican friends and I have almost no interactions with people of my same race. Sometimes that leaves me feeling like an outsider and sometimes even like I don't belong, and it's been over 20 years. I, however, never have any feelings of wanting to be American or a white dude, I have no regrets or complexes as to who I am an my own race and, to quite honest, I am rather proud of my heritage so why is it such a big deal for Dante to be human? I just don't buy it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Have you spoken to an angel, demon, or nephillim recently? Who is anyone to say exactly what's what when it comes to this stuff. I would have never guessed this is a work of fiction. :blink: Nephillim also have multiple interpretations and forms. One of them being cannibalistic giants.

Besides it still fits with the inception of the title Devil May Cry. The entire reason behind the title basically in the end comes down to the misconception that devils can't cry or feel emotions. This isn't true as you find out the reason for this title in the very first game when Trish cries for Dante. Trish is a demon. Kind of sappy. Then it all can all come back to Sparda who was a demon and fell in love with a human. Humanity means being human but also doesn't only have one definition.

DmC has given the most Dante centric storyline from the series as you can draw similarities between Sparda's history and Dante's development in DmC. They were really aiming for the origin story here with Dante and I could see him becoming the Legendary hero instead of Sparda which is good because why should Dante have to ALWAYS live in his father's shadow for some reason. We never see anything on Sparda so I don't even give a f*ck about him.

DankestDarkness

Wondering sprit from hell
Have you spoken to an angel, demon, or nephillim recently? Who is anyone to say exactly what's what when it comes to this stuff. I would have never guessed this is a work of fiction. :blink: Nephillim also have multiple interpretations and forms. One of them being cannibalistic giants.

Besides it still fits with the inception of the title Devil May Cry. The entire reason behind the title basically in the end comes down to the misconception that devils can't cry or feel emotions. This isn't true as you find out the reason for this title in the very first game when Trish cries for Dante. Trish is a demon. Kind of sappy. Then it all can all come back to Sparda who was a demon and fell in love with a human. Humanity means being human but also doesn't only have one definition.

DmC has given the most Dante centric storyline from the series as you can draw similarities between Sparda's history and Dante's development in DmC. They were really aiming for the origin story here with Dante and I could see him becoming the Legendary hero instead of Sparda which is good because why should Dante have to ALWAYS live in his father's shadow for some reason. We never see anything on Sparda so I don't even give a f*ck about him.
The whole point of DMC is that humans have a power that demons don't that separates Dante/Nero/Lucia/trish from the rest of them the ability to cry is a human gift only humans can have which means your not full devil and you embrace the hidden potential that mankind has if you sacrifice your humanity you will lose that power and that what really separated Dante from vergil in part 3 vergil wanted power willing to lose that humanity while Dante embraced it and it made him stronger so in this new one how can it follow the old franchise if he not human and the replacement power is embracing the angel side which is weak as hell in this game

Jerry Wirerammer

I think they were going to make more out of this point. I was looking through the unused dialogue and found this:

'The sacred soul was born of an angel and demon. She was Nephilim, like you. Mankind are your brothers and sisters.' Not sure who's saying that line- Eva/Sparda? But whoever it is, they are grouping Dante with the humans. I guess they mean brothers and sisters in a figurative sense, but still I thought it was worth bringing up.

This sounds like the Phinias speech about azreal?

Regarding humanity, wasn't this addressed every other episode in the original Star Trek show? ;)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The whole point of DMC is that humans have a power that demons don't that separates Dante/Nero/Lucia/trish from the rest of them the ability to cry is a human gift only humans can have which means your not full devil and you embrace the hidden potential that mankind has if you sacrifice your humanity you will lose that power and that what really separated Dante from vergil in part 3 vergil wanted power willing to lose that humanity while Dante embraced it and it made him stronger so in this new one how can it follow the old franchise if he not human and the replacement power is embracing the angel side which is weak as hell in this game
Um, not really. The meaning for the title Devil May Cry is actually in the title itself when you think about it. A devil may also cry. Trish cried for Dante and she has no humanity in her whatsoever. It's a very rare and unusual action for a demon but she is a full demon through and through. After all she was just a product of Mundus. The first Devil May Cry game explains the title. Demons aren't known for feeling any kind of emotion just because of their initial perception of being basically the embodiment of evil. This is not true. The entire title revolves around the misconception of this thing they established which is just complete bs.

Top Bottom