• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"The game is not challenging"? "Broken Weapons"?

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I will admit that the game isn't as overly difficult as the others, but really, what does difficult truly mean? The point of getting better at something is that eventually difficult becomes normal, and normal becomes easy. A task will never stay hard if You stick at it and learn the ins and outs.

If someone threw You into the the front lobby of Mundus' tower against the 2 Dreamrunners and the Witch on Mission 16 ('The Plan'), with no prior experience on how to deal with both enemy types effectively, You'd eat the controller.

I would liken it to Dark Souls actually, hyped up as a ball-crunchingly difficult game, but it's knowledge and prior experience that wins the day, there's no difference with DmC -- or any DMC.

Difficulty, especially in Spectacle fighters like Devil May Cry, works on many levels. While it's true that it can depend on rote memorisation to a degree, the unique permutations of enemy AI working in tandem against the player often leads to divergent tactics

In any game built on diverse monster design you need variance in attack methods in order to make every encounter interesting. Take DMC1 for example, even in the most average encounter with Marionettes, the lowliest enemies in the game, they had multiple weapons they could switch to, their spinning lunge attack, their grab and their scream. At any time in any melee with them you could be subject to every attack variant simultaneously, so you had to cautiously mark and evade each attack while finding the precise moment to counter attack. It's because of this tactical diversity the enemies had (Which also expanded considerably on higher difficulties) that the game includes a File system for charting every enemy you encounter, with each nuance of their tactics being annotated when Dante experiences it, so if you're having trouble with a monster you could take a look at what Dante has observed in their behaviour and what his tactical advice is for dealing with it. You could go through the game multiple times and still fail to encounter every paragraph of a monster's entry, and it made for a fun challenge to discover them all.
DmC's monsters lack that diversity that 1, 3 and 4 introduced, so there's less to discover and deal with. There's also the fact that all these massive exploitable bugs were discovered within days of the game's release and they're incredibly easy to trigger by comparison to the old games. I believe it took around two years for people to fully understand Distorted Real Impact in 4, whereas the average shmuck can play DmC and realise that they can use Ophion to pluck enemies out of the horde and wail on them forever in mid-air, never risking counter attack. The game will even reward them for doing so; without a style system that depletes when you spam the same attack over and over, you don't even have a reason to switch weapons, let alone tactics.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
The game will even reward them for doing so; without a style system that depletes when you spam the same attack over and over, you don't even have a reason to switch weapons, let alone tactics.
This statement is false. If you keep spamming the same moves, the amount of styles points you gain will keep halving until you reach a bottom threshold.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
This statement is false. If you keep spamming the same moves, the amount of styles points you gain will keep halving until you reach a bottom threshold.

But not zero, and the depletion of the style gauge won't exceed what you gain by spamming.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I thought we weretalking about reboot, not dmc3.
I thought we were talking about broken moves. Also, not everyone can consistently pull off demon dodge. I have seen plenty of walkthroughs and only one guy (seraphim17) consistently demon dodged while the others don't even bother using it at all.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
And DmC comes along stuffed to the gills with misbalanced and shallow combat elements, which is stunning considering it was made by the same guy.
If you play the game normally, there nothing wrong with it. It's only when you dig deeper you start to see its flaws, something not many gamers do.

Also, I believe Capcom said they wanted to streamline the combat so it may be intentional that the game isn't as intricate as past DMCs. However, the combat in DmC is also arguably the best at a basic level. It is so much easier to pull off combos right now when compared to past DMCs.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
If you play the game normally, there nothing wrong with it. It's only when you dig deeper you start to see its flaws, something not many gamers do.

Any player who perseveres with DmC into DMD mode will notice them, and those are the people who want their money's worth from the experience. That's part of the reason the Devil May Cry franchise has survived for so long: value for money. When the game presents a high level challenge to the player that takes months to fully master, they're more likely to persevere with the game for longer and have a deeper appreciation for it. If you grant the player instant gratification without a brutal challenge to overcome, they cast the game aside in a blink and barely consider it again.

It is so much easier to pull off combos right now when compared to past DMCs.

That's narrative disonance right there. If Dante's supposed to be on the brink of coming into his own with his abilities, shouldn't that mean that combos should be significantly harder to pull off, and thus more satisfying when you finally do?

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Any player who perseveres with DmC into DMD mode will notice them, and those are the people who want their money's worth from the experience. That's part of the reason the Devil May Cry franchise has survived for so long: value for money. When the game presents a high level challenge to the player that takes months to fully master, they're more likely to persevere with the game for longer and have a deeper appreciation for it. If you grant the player instant gratification without a brutal challenge to overcome, they cast the game aside in a blink and barely consider it again.
I have played DMC 3 and 4 for over 100 hours and not once did I engage in high level play. I have never beaten bloody palace without using super dante. My skills as a DMC player is about average. Despite all that, I still enjoyed the hell out of those games. I like the combat but I don't dig deep into it. Some people may find personal satisfaction from performing overly long and intricate combos but I find satisfaction by simply playing a game I enjoy and have fun with.

That's narrative disonance right there. If Dante's supposed to be on the brink of coming into his own with his abilities, shouldn't that mean that combos should be significantly harder to pull off, and thus more satisfying when you finally do?
It's more to do with the weapons. In past DMCs, I don't often mix and match my weapons during combos because they don't complement each other well enough and usually require the use of advanced techniques for maximum efficiency. In DmC, the combat system is far more streamlined. The ability to pause combo into other weapons is something I believe all future DMCs should have. The removal of styles also helped play a part in this as I could access all my moves at once without having to cycle through 5 styles.

Also, Dante is already a capable fighter from what I can tell. There are no cut scenes which show Dante improving his abilities other than coming to terms with his demonic side and gaining new weapons so I assume that he is already a capable fighter from the get go.

GF9000000Returns

Maybe you're just not very good at video games.

You're just not that good. If this game is too hard for you, I can't imagine what you'd say for DMD in DMC3. Train some more and even the Witch will be cake on DMD.

You guys are only half right cuz I'm an average gamer, but come on, the game is mostly for casuals.

Like some people said again, there are some moves in the original games that are cheap and powerful that can end the battle quickly in DMD mode. Take these two for example...

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
In DmC, the combat system is far more streamlined. The ability to pause combo into other weapons is something I believe all future DMCs should have.

As do I. It should be a mandatory feature in all hack n' slashes, if not all action-adventure games.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
You guys are only half right cuz I'm an average gamer, but come on, the game is mostly for casuals.

Like some people said again, there are some moves in the original games that are cheap and powerful that can end the battle quickly in DMD mode. Take these two for example...

Exactly. i love how people say DT and Demon dodge is OP and no other DMC is like that, yet they don't mention or bring up these moves from the past series either.:/

But like I said, I don't HAVE to use p*ssy OP moves in any of the games just because they're there.

Jerry Wirerammer

I'd also like to point out that fighting the boss by normal means nets you far more points than the Demon Evade + DT combo since you don't obliterate his HP so quickly. If anyone needs a comparison, I have two separate videos of me and my friend playing Mission 1 on DMD. He had less points than me at the beginning of the boss fight but he managed to overtake mine by fighting the Hunter fairly.

I feel this is the most relevant post in the thread. Basically, DmC is just like all the DMCs before it, there are cheap tricks and exploits to be abused but they dont get you top scores. Thanks Soupie.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I feel this is the most relevant post in the thread. Basically, DmC is just like all the DMCs before it, there are cheap tricks and exploits to be abused but they dont get you top scores. Thanks Soupie.

The difference is that Distorted Real Impact took years to discover and is difficult to master, as well as being a bug that can't be used on every enemy type. DT Demon Dodge is not only childishly easy to use but also an intentional design feature.

Jerry Wirerammer

The difference is that Distorted Real Impact took years to discover and is difficult to master, as well as being a bug that can't be used on every enemy type. DT Demon Dodge is not only childishly easy to use but also an intentional design feature.

A difference that makes no difference, is no difference. Result is the same, bosses gone in seconds, whether by accident or design.
In essence, isn't this what all DMCs are about? Its not killing the monsters but how many points you rack up while killing them. Yes there are always cheap ways to scrub your way through and if playing scrubby got the best scores, then there would be reason for complaint, but as it appears that stylish play wins out, it seems to me that NT have captured the spirit of DMC perfectly.

Top Bottom