• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Devil Breaker might Break Nero's combat

ShiningTempest

We cant even SWITCH between breakers. The only way is to throw them away.
I know plenty of Youtubers big in the DMC series and fanbase who are aware it like ChaserTech who don't like it but will try to get used to it (I'm like noooo don't accept it we have 5-6 months to rally against it)
I am with you but, what if they dont change this and we are stuck with this crap?
Is there any way to fix this?
Like, can we get a D pad switching mod on PC?

Dominus

My hope is there some upgrade or other thing that makes it slightly less painful.. But from interviews sounds like this was Itsuno's whole design philosophy with Nero. Just seems like an odd thing from the guy that gave us on the fly style switching..

I'd at least like to hear that there is more to it if there is, or just dash my hopes right now and I'll wait for mods. Though I remember reading that RE engine is harder to mod...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Like, can we get a D pad switching mod on PC?

You know that is like a 100% guaranteed mod for PC, especially since Nero has so many unused buttons. Or who knows, maybe they'll look at the mods and implement them in the game, like they did with OppressedWriter's Trickster Angel Dash mod from DmC.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
My hope is there some upgrade or other thing that makes it slightly less painful.. But from interviews sounds like this was Itsuno's whole design philosophy with Nero. Just seems like an odd thing from the guy that gave us on the fly style switching..

I'd at least like to hear that there is more to it if there is, or just dash my hopes right now and I'll wait for mods. Though I remember reading that RE engine is harder to mod...

Wanna bet they take on the fly style switching out too?

At this point Im about to enter the 5th and last state of grief (Acceptance) with this whole situation.

I was in Denial when I was beginning to notice how in early gameplay footage Nero didn't use multiple different Devil Breakers in the same sequence and early footage of Gamescom. Then Matt basically confirmed it and out of Anger I made this thread (probably why I was so hard on him in the beginning lol).

I was hoping to Bargain with other people in both this forum and elsewhere (like Youtube) to see if we can start some campaign to express discomfort with this idea or at the very least people will universally see the flaws with this system and Bargain with the dev team to reach a much more better compromise. But that probably won't happen since everyone is too distracted by the hype to either notice or care enough. Now Im just Depressed. At this point I'm waiting to see if they somehow ruin Dante's and V's combat too before I Accept this.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's only ruining their playstyles if you think that each character only works thanks to one, very specific element. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, after all.

It's an inconvenience at best, or are DMC players so stiff they can't adapt?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
It's only ruining their playstyles if you think that each character only works thanks to one, very specific element. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, after all.

It's an inconvenience at best, or are DMC players so stiff they can't adapt?

If they could then DmC would've sold more (initially).
7376553.jpg

It's like this. There is a sequel after over 10 years of waiting (and a controversial reboot) and a character who in the previous game was pretty lacking and at the moment he seems relatively the same (outside some tweaks and small additions and changes to controls and firearms but nothing really major) and the only thing genuinely new about this character is gated behind some restrictive system (even his Buster is gated behind this system too). Its not ruined just a big disappointment.

However, after listening to a video about this topic from Vash I am coming around this system....somewhat. It is an unique and bizarre system that could promote an interesting combat style for Nero and help new players learn the game better through careful thinking, decision making, and planning and execution as well as mastering the basics (movement, positioning, dodging, Jump Cancelling, Ex-Act, etc) now that they can't get distracted and overwhelmed by all the shiny stuff. I'll just wait for more info (especially TGS) and when I can play the game to get a feel. If it fails then oh well (time to get good with Dante and maybe V if that is the case). I guess I'm at the Acceptance phase now.

ShiningTempest

However, after listening to a video about this topic from Vash
Vash also wants the D pad to be used for active switching.
I am coming around this system....somewhat. It is an unique and bizarre system that could promote an interesting combat style for Nero and help new players learn the game better through careful thinking, decision making, and planning and execution as well as mastering the basics
What the hell? This 'system' restricts combat and gameplay. There is no single advantage of having this.
As if breakers breaking was not bad enough. Thats why I came up with a solution in the form of switching mod on PC as opposed to any state of grief.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
If they could then DmC would've sold more (initially).

Ha.

It's like this. There is a sequel after over 10 years of waiting (and a controversial reboot) and a character who in the previous game was pretty lacking and at the moment he seems relatively the same (outside some tweaks and small additions and changes to controls and firearms but nothing really major) and the only thing genuinely new about this character is gated behind some restrictive system (even his Buster is gated behind this system too). Its not ruined just a big disappointment.

Keep in mind, we still haven't quite seen everything Nero has yet, especially not whatever his endgame state will be that every player will have access to once we're replaying it for the umteenth time. We still haven't seen everything that we can do with the Breakers, nor have we seen his full list of skills. Plus there's the entire Blue Rose ammunition concept that hasn't been elaborated on, and Itsuno said there'd be more than one type of charged shot. They've gotten save somethin' for the finale, right?

However, after listening to a video about this topic from Vash I am coming around this system....somewhat. It is an unique and bizarre system that could promote an interesting combat style for Nero and help new players learn the game better through careful thinking, decision making, and planning and execution as well as mastering the basics (movement, positioning, dodging, Jump Cancelling, Ex-Act, etc) now that they can't get distracted and overwhelmed by all the shiny stuff. I'll just wait for more info (especially TGS) and when I can play the game to get a feel. If it fails then oh well (time to get good with Dante and maybe V if that is the case). I guess I'm at the Acceptance phase now.

Gregaman referred to Nero's new element as something like "playing the top card," which fits in with Nero's whole gambling theme back from DMC4 (Shuffle, High Roller, Roulette, Fortuna). Plus, since Nero is supposedly meant to be the introductory character, they don't want to complicate him too much, so even by adding in this entirely new feature, they make your use of it more dependent on how you play your cards, rather than freedom of choice. I can dig that.

I'd still love to switch, but eeeeh, I'll adapt otherwise :cool:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I hope that they let us at least choose the order of the Breakers, so that when we break the current one, we can get the one we want. Cause the prospect of potentially having to break multiple arms to get to the desired one doesn't sound enticing at all.

I'm hoping to God that those unused button for Nero will let us do something along those lines in the final game. Cause if gets no additional Devil Arms or new Red Queen moves, a big chunk of his gameplay is gonna be pretty damn limited. It's still more than what he had in DMC4, sure, and I already had some good fun playing as him there but still, the possibilities, man...

Dominus

I hope that they let us at least choose the order of the Breakers, so that when we break the current one, we can get the one we want. Cause the prospect of potentially having to break multiple arms to get to the desired one doesn't sound enticing at all.

I'm hoping to God that those unused button for Nero will let us do something along those lines in the final game. Cause if gets no additional Devil Arms or new Red Queen moves, a big chunk of his gameplay is gonna be pretty damn limited. It's still more than what he had in DMC4, sure, and I already had some good fun playing as him there but still, the possibilities, man...
Yah exactly, if Nero doesn't get a DT, or another weapon locking his main new mechanic around this system will suck...

D-pad seems like such an obvious use too, and if it is unused that feels like a waste... Especially when DMC kind of paved the use of d-pad in action games (at least to my knowledge, could be wrong), and now DMC going away from that sees like regression.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Ha.

Keep in mind, we still haven't quite seen everything Nero has yet, especially not whatever his endgame state will be that every player will have access to once we're replaying it for the umteenth time. We still haven't seen everything that we can do with the Breakers, nor have we seen his full list of skills. Plus there's the entire Blue Rose ammunition concept that hasn't been elaborated on, and Itsuno said there'd be more than one type of charged shot. They've gotten save somethin' for the finale, right?

Gregaman referred to Nero's new element as something like "playing the top card," which fits in with Nero's whole gambling theme back from DMC4 (Shuffle, High Roller, Roulette, Fortuna). Plus, since Nero is supposedly meant to be the introductory character, they don't want to complicate him too much, so even by adding in this entirely new feature, they make your use of it more dependent on how you play your cards, rather than freedom of choice. I can dig that.

I'd still love to switch, but eeeeh, I'll adapt otherwise :cool:

I suppose. Well all I can do is wait. It seems Itsuno and co. are fully aware that people want genuine on the fly devil breaker switching. Either Itsuno really thinks this system is genius in someway, has other secrets about Nero he won't reveal yet, or probably will cave into feedback if it gets that strong and it seems discord seems to be tighter. I guess I misinterpreted Vash's words he apparently doesn't like this system that much neither does Daedron and many others. So I guess I was wrong there. I guess all of these fanboys aren't that much sheeps afterall.

So Gregaman is apart of the DMC5 discourse too? I never heard anything about or from him during this entire time.
If that is the case that does sound like a cool concept or premise. A strange one but still cool might as well up our magazine count beyond 4 (like maybe 8 or 10).

Yah exactly, if Nero doesn't get a DT, or another weapon locking his main new mechanic around this system will suck...

D-pad seems like such an obvious use too, and if it is unused that feels like a waste... Especially when DMC kind of paved the use of d-pad in action games (at least to my knowledge, could be wrong), and now DMC going away from that sees like regression.

I heard a rumor Nero might get Yamato to use. This was far earlier rumor and it was the same source that other rumors that turned out to be true (like Nico's van replacing Divinity Statues for Nero and aspects of V's character). And the thing is if that is the case Capcom will probably never reveal Nero gets Yamato before the game releases because that would be a huge story spoiler. Maybe a small hint/teaser in the last trailer or it would probably get leaked besides I don't think any DMC game (or just most games in general) shows off everything before release. I recall Kablooey was never shown in DmC, DMC4 never shown Dante using Yamato oh wait I mean DarkSlayer Style....did they ever reveal Lucifer or Pandora before release? I wasn't around the fanbase at that time so I cant seem to find any old pre-release trailer and gameplay footage.

Yeah same goes for DMC3 cant seem to find much earlier footage for that either.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
So Gregaman is apart of the DMC5 discourse too? I never heard anything about or from him during this entire time.
If that is the case that does sound like a cool concept or premise. A strange one but still cool might as well up our magazine count beyond 4 (like maybe 8 or 10).

Oh nah, he's not at Capcom anymore. We've just discussed it at length because...well, we like DMC games. He has a great perspective on it, even though it's only his, with no sort of like, insider information. I just really jived with what he mentioned about the "top of the deck" style, it makes a lot of sense.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Oh nah, he's not at Capcom anymore. We've just discussed it at length because...well, we like DMC games. He has a great perspective on it, even though it's only his, with no sort of like, insider information. I just really jived with what he mentioned about the "top of the deck" style, it makes a lot of sense.

I see know why he doesn't work there anymore?

Dominus

Well seems like this discussion has grinded to a halt, I was hoping at some point we could get a response from Matt, or Itsuno if there is more to be seen with breaker switching, or why the breaker switching is the way it is (when other games let you switch at will with most things)... We all have heard that interview repeated many times, where Nero needs to grab an arm quick to replace his broken devil breaker, but I'd like a more in-depth analysis of why it is this way....

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
At this point I think it's just healthier for people to accept that this is how it's gonna be and move on instead of continuing to hammer their heads down with whys, hows and whats. It's disappointing but I'd rather let my disappointment slowly fade rather than keep feeding it.

Jack500

At this point I think it's just healthier for people to accept that this is how it's gonna be and move on instead of continuing to hammer their heads down with whys, hows and whats. It's disappointing but I'd rather let my disappointment slowly fade rather than keep feeding it.

If only you people had done that with DmC. Then the fanbase probably wouldn't be so divided.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If only you people had done that with DmC. Then the fanbase probably wouldn't be so divided.

Negative. Accepting something doesn't mean liking it. Had everyone accepted DmC, the fandom would still be divided because there would still be people disliking it.
I think what you mean is that there would have been less arguments and toxicity.

Ultimately, in cases like this, the cause of the divide is always the decision maker. The source. Whoever decided to split the franchise in two instances of itself in the first place. In this case, Capcom. And there's no two ways around it.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Well this is just 1 mechanic for a character (who didn't had much going for him before so its better than nothing.....slightly) out of 3 playable characters. If it fails or backfires to appeal to people they'll probably just do a patch...or a Special Edition that fixes it.

DmC was an entire game that could determine the future of the franchise. If fans had done that to DmC it would've made enough money to warrant a sequel and we would be getting a DmC2 instead of a DMC5 right now....or a DmC3. That didn't jive well with A LOT of fans.

Top Bottom