• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Devil Breaker might Break Nero's combat

heatlancer

1# Trickster
Thought I was ok with this, but thinking some more on it, it really doesn't make sense. By all means keep the durability/break system, it just doesn't make sense as to why you wouldn't be able to switch on the fly for variety on your custom combo's.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Lets see some evidence.

No thanks. You can sift through like, eight-year-old comment sections for that garbage.

The only issue really is that with this realistic take on combat it would be hard to animate Nero literally changing arms mid combo and not disrupt the flow of combat (this isn't like Devil Arms where they just pop out of nowhere or like DmC where Rebellion apparently transforms into other weapons) but it could be possible. I wonder if they'll try to add a strong sense of realism to Dante's animations and moveset too. That would be tough to do compared to Nero especially with that motorcycle.......hmmmmmmmmm...

As nice as some of the new animations are, there is always going to be a level of "disruption" in the animations in order to retain the flow of combat we love so much. The moment we switch weapons, things are going to look at least a little weird, and I'm sure they have accepted that fact. I'd be fine with being able to switch Breakers like we can anything else, or I'd even settle for something similar to DMC1's Devil Arm swap, where it had a specific animation to it, so we could see Nero shoving his arm onto a different Breaker. Or hell, best of both worlds like with his new reloading, have their be an animation, but also left us swap in the middle of other actions without the accompanying animation.

DMC

Devil May Cry
Im gonna miss his devil bringer but... I wonder if he will get his own devil trigger.. I havent kept up with much of the news of dmc 5 since i basically only using my phones data atm

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Im gonna miss his devil bringer but... I wonder if he will get his own devil trigger.. I havent kept up with much of the news of dmc 5 since i basically only using my phones data atm

There is a Devil Breaker that mimics the Devil Bringer's Buster grabbing moves, and regardless of which Breaker you have on, you always have access to the Snatch move. Sadly, instead of the phantom hand, it's just a wire. Yet, it's hard not to expect him getting his arm back or something. So far no news on a Devil Trigger, as pressing L1 with the Devil Breaker will just cause an explosion so Nero can escape, which also destroys the current arm he has on.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
It would be odd if Nero doesn't get a Devil Trigger since his battle theme is called "DEVIL TRIGGER" and if you listen to the lyrics it describes the process of going through a devil trigger or what the user feels before, during, and after they activate their devil trigger.

It is literally a song about the Devil Trigger and its the song that plays for most of Nero's battles.

DMC

Devil May Cry
Ya the song sounds like it is talking about nero lol.... God i hope he gets his on devil trigger... Even tho his dmc4 dt was awsome

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If he does it would be odd too since most of the DT functions are already covered in his base moveset. His Devil Breakers have pretty overpowered moves that usually would be regulated to be DT specific and his Break Away move also works as a DT explosion that can interrupt enemy attacks and escape dangerous situations.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/9bzhjh
so_good.png

Well this makes things a lot better (if this person isn't bull****ting).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominus

https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/9bzhjh
so_good.png

Well this makes things a lot better (if this person isn't bull****ting).
This was confirmed to be misinformation by Matt himself. Only way to switch between breakers is to break them...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
This was confirmed to be misinformation by Matt himself. Only way to switch between breakers is to break them...

Yeah I'm aware

7cda975076e04ad100f1b505ee103a03.png

Dominus

The dumb thing about this too is it sounds like you can only adjust the order at Nico's van. So in addition to order before the mission, you have to be aware of what order you pick the arms up in the mission... This sounds like a inventory management nightmare that could be addressed super easily... The whole thing is convoluted and dumb for no reason...

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Only way to switch between breakers is to break them...

And yet, here at around 18:05 he switches from Buster to Overture without breaking the former.

That tweet seems to address Break Away specifically. It sounds like he's specifying that BA is not the way you cycle through the DBs, rather than denying manual switching at all. Specifying that Break Away is its own thing.

Dominus

And yet, here at around 18:05 he switches from Buster to Overture without breaking the former.

That tweet seems to address Break Away specifically. It sounds like he's specifying that BA is not the way you cycle through the DBs, rather than denying manual switching in the first place.
I should have clarified besides picking them up. Because you cant switch this way if your arms are full, and the arm you pick up always becomes the first one. People thought the Reddit guy was saying was that you could switch to another arm without breaking as in cycling between the 4 arms one way.

Dominus

I feel a lot of people don't realize how limited the breaker switching is now, because they assume you can switch on the fly like DMC4... So that's why there is not a lot of talk about this limiting factor, except by people who have analyzed the details more closely... So when game releases a lot of people are going to be confused and annoyed that they can't switch to the breaker they want without destroying it.

Really wish we could get Itsuno and co to change their mind on this... Because this really is a huge thorn in my side with this game. I really like everything else, so it is just really confusing why Itsuno won't give us at least an option to cycle through them all without breaking. Not really asking for d-pad usage here...

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I feel a lot of people don't realize how limited the breaker switching is now, because they assume you can switch on the fly like DMC4... So that's why there is not a lot of talk about this limiting factor, except by people who have analyzed the details more closely... So when game releases a lot of people are going to be confused and annoyed that they can't switch to the breaker they want without destroying it.

Really wish we could get Itsuno and co to change their mind on this... Because this really is a huge thorn in my side with this game. I really like everything else, so it is just really confusing why Itsuno won't give us at least an option to cycle through them all without breaking. Not really asking for d-pad usage here...

I feel like Ive seen this exact comment elsewhere like Resetera or the GameSpot forums.

Not only that but people now will get all worked up over frivolous stuff like V's face and these dumb leaks now people will just have their attention on that instead and with TGS coming up with Dante and later down the line V. If Dante's gameplay is sick (or an improvement over 3 and 4) and V is also cool I feel that almost everybody will ignore Nero and this situation and if do know they probably wont care since 2/3s of the game is cool and most of these DMC drones are only here for Dante anyway.

I know plenty of Youtubers big in the DMC series and fanbase who are aware it like ChaserTech who don't like it but will try to get used to it (I'm like noooo don't accept it we have 5-6 months to rally against it) and SuperBestFriends who seem to like it and think its a cool idea (like how???). A couple others too are aware but are more in line with ChaserTech and is just willing to accept it or already throwing in the towel before even fighting.

Then you have some fanboys who defend this system and thinks its a great idea and something this series needs. One quote going

"I want to play what Itsuno and co have in mind, not what fans think they want."
"It's that entire Too Awesome To Use/Destroy dilemma. Breakers are supposed to be disposable/consumable combat tools that you're encouraged to burn through constantly. You can't switch to another one until you destroy the one you have equipped through either sloppy usage resulting in damage, a defensive burst (Breakaway) or deploying a super attack (Breakage). The second you can switch your Devil Breaker without destroying it, that's the second you start playing favorites and ignoring key tools of the system on a breaker-by-breaker basis.

For instance, I'd never destroy Gerbera because an air dash and a parry are too valuable in moment-to-moment gameplay and I don't value its breakage that much. It'd just turn into a Trickster/Royal Guard style switch where I use it in the second I need it and change back to a much less valued breaker when the coast is clear. I'd never end a fight with its breakage either, even if I was in an optimal place (A narrow cooridor) and I knew that I wouldn't miss its utility for the next few rooms until I stumble across another one. Same thing goes for Buster - I would only use its basic buster against enemies whose busters could be turned against other enemies (Basilisk, Gladius) or against bosses. Until then I'm perfectly happy to let it gather dust in its slot.

At the end of the day I like the breaker breaking. When I fought against Goliath yesterday, I felt like I made a mistake when I blew my Gerbera against him inside the church since he starts flailing and running away a lot more in the courtyard. That sort of regret was not a feeling I've had in a DMC game before. Blowing a DTE a bit too late in a fight stings, but fifteen seconds and a couple of taunts later you're typically good to go again. Having a whole new level of short/long-term resource management and fight/route optimization like that is a really neat niche for Nero to explore."

focused_136237178-Large-flock-of-sheep.jpg

Goldsickle

How would "Super Nero" work this time around?

Break Away and Break Age doesn't destroy the arm, plus being interrupted while trying to attack with an arm doesn't break it?
But if that's the case, how will Nero switch or pick up new Devil Breakers?

Top Bottom