• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Superiority complex

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Anita Sarkeesian does the same thing. Says something and censors others from challenging her.
And this is a forum btw, meant for discussion.

No. I spoke my piece. I said what I needed to, and that's that. It's done for me, and continuing would get old. So I'm done, I've said what I needed and see no need to continue on.

Simple, yes?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Since the time I've frequented here I've seen Dante been accused of a lot of things. He is cold, he is an uncaring a$$hole, he is just an a$$hole, he's a hobo, he is selfish and he is only in it for the money, and a bunch of others that I can't even remember. Now it turns out he's a sociopathic narcissist.

I know that none of them are even remotely true but you can't convince people that they are wrong when they don't want to listen, it is a matter of perspective and in their eyes, from what they see this is true and to refute that puts your and their values on a different level. While one side argues that he is a narcissistic a$$hole, I mean, just look at the evidence, how can you defend or justify this as anything else, the other side argues that that is completely incorrect and that the evidence is take out of context or it's been viewed with an oversimplifying eye.

Now, here is why Dante isn't a narcissist. First of all if Dante was a narcissist he wouldn't be able to care for anyone but himself, that alone is contradictory to any sequence where he uses the words 'devils never cry' because he cries for others, a narcissist only cries for themselves; it's the difference between reacting to someone else's death as 'why, god, oh, why' and 'what's wrong with all of you, yeah, they're dead but I'm still alive.' Dante has never shown such lack of empathy that it makes him down right self centered to that extreme. Now, you might pull some quotes from DMC3 but I'll remind you of Lady's words at the end of said entree.

Narcissism is an extreme version of all those things are listed in this thread, it's not just one or two, it's most, if not all. Dante's extreme attitude is a facade used to prevent demons from manipulating him. Don't get me wrong, he is still arrogant in DMC 3 but to call him narcissistic is like labeling someone who does things over and over again until he gets it right as obsessive compulsive, the difference been the former can get frustrated, go home, and try again the next day, while the latter can't go home, he has to get it right, he has to.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Heh I never really thought Dante was are narcissistic d*ck or anything. To me he just always seemed exceptionally confident in his abilities and lighthearted, without crossing the line of cockiness. Idk, maybe I'm not looking at it from the same angle as some of you o_O

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Dante never seemed to have a superiority complex to me. If he did, he would show it more often, to more people, including himself. I'm talking about narcissism too. If he said "my father wasn't so hideous. Can't you tell from looking at me?", that's just another example of his type of humor. He likes p*issing off demons and people who challenge him in general. He likes being a total ass, and he hopes to lure demons out of their shell that way. I don't know, he usually uses these things as taunts, challenging demons to be and do better than him. And if he actually thinks he looks good, then he's a narcissist. Doesn't make me like him less.

When he said to Berial "wish you would've noticed me earlier; now my coat's all charred", I feel that's a cynical attack on Berial, not a woeful remark concerning his coat. If he didn't want his coat charred, he wouldn't have sat on his tail to begin with. So I guess a lot of things can be interpreted in multiple ways. Does anybody have any more examples of him being narcissistic, or is it all explicable this way?

IncarnatedDemon

I know how people with superiority complex are like.

You may misinterpret Dante's behaviour (especially in 3) as narcistic...but that's not how it is.

Here is a great example of a character with the complex:
Vegeta_%28Render%29.png

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I don't know guys but i think he doesn't have a superiority complex he's just full of himself and totally overconfident&egotistical about everything his looks,his powers everything.
egotistical.jpg

he's like that rich kid you'd always like to avoid in the frat parties.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I would not say he has superiority complex. He is something that comes off as a doucheb*g to people, but he is not exactly that.
When he was a child, he was probably doted by his mother to a great extent.He had not a father( or his dad was "lost" or killed when he was very young);he became too close to his mom to whom he aimed to please.
By an unfortunate incident he lost his brother and his mother, probably the only few people he was used to deal. He became alone and psychologically stunt for the rest of his life.In his adulthood, his show off personality is just a facade: inside he is only a child who still aims to please.
This makes me thinks everytime he says how good looking he is or how great he acts, he is expecting somekind of approval from the ones who surround him now.He likes to be with people, he just doesn't know how to keep them with him.
Now this could be one reason he acts in such ways towards Morrison , Lady and Patty.A theory is he keeps debt towards Morrison and Lady in order to make them come to his office more often.( If it wasn't that way, they would probably visit him less frequently.) Keeping a dirty mess in his office is a way to make Patty take pity on him and come over to care for him.

But surely, seeing him from outside he comes off as a nuisance , an idiot or just a frat boy.

Sorry for the long post!

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
@ Gel: But then, why doesn't Vergil act the same in DMC3? He lost his parents, too. Still, that could be it. Maybe being mostly silent and sardonic is how Vergil deals with it. It's part of his personality. Of course, this is all speculation; there's nothing to indicate Vergil and Dante were even remotely traumatized (at least not permanently) by their parents' death.

Gel

Premium
First, everyone of us has his own facade: what we want the others to see in us.Second, to the same incident, everybody acts in different manner.
I took my conclusions from DMC1 novel, DMC1 game and some hints from Anime. In DMC3 and manly DMC4 characters fall victim of flanderization.
Of course, I must be putting more thought on this than Capcom ever did, but sure this is close to what Kamiya/Mikami had thought when created this series.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Sure, but I haven't really seen hints that Dante or Vergil were ever traumatized. I don't believe they ever even expressed sadness about Sparda's absence, so maybe they were too young back then to fully appreciate their relationship. I mean, they were eight, after all. I don't think those files in DMC4 and other DMCs illustrated how they felt about it. So it's all left to speculation, I'd say. Right now, I see it more as the type of characterization you see in cartoons like Johnny Bravo; he's just a goofball and a dote - it's his personality, and nothing else is said about it. But if anybody's got examples that indicate something else, feel free to correct me.

IncarnatedDemon

I am very sure they suffered from their past. Especially Dante who comes off as someone who keeps a distance between himself and others.

At least in the anime.

He wasn't like that in dmc1 though.

But i feel the anime kinda portrayed inner feelings of Dante pretty decent.

EDIT:
But Kamiya said he wasnt showing his sadness so that demons couldnt hurt him in dmc1.

Gel

Premium
If Vergil was traumatized? You just have to look to his profile: what was his main motivation to get power? His mother's death and the fact he couldn't do anything in the past to avoid it.Sure, the character wasn't well explored , but it is his past that torments him.
Why Dante became a mercenary?Just because he hates demons?No, he was obsessed with his mother's demise: he dreams with it over and over; he just lives to get revenge for his mother and his brother.
In the anime, the ending song is called "I'll be your home" and it's a song Eva probably sang to her boys.
Why Dante is not into relationships?Because he thinks of himself as dangerous to others, second to that he never learned how to related with other women than Eva.
Yes, he always says he has no luck with women, but everytime they seem to be into him, he just avoid them.
All these things can be found in the media related DMC.These data exists and are avaliable.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
If Vergil was traumatized? You just have to look to his profile: what was his main motivation to get power? His mother's death and the fact he couldn't do anything in the past to avoid it.Sure, the character wasn't well explored , but it is his past that torments him.
Why Dante became a mercenary?Just because he hates demons?No, he was obsessed with his mother's demise: he dreams with it over and over; he just lives to get revenge for his mother and his brother.
In the anime, the ending song is called "I'll be your home" and it's a song Eva probably sang to her boys.
Why Dante is not into relationships?Because he thinks of himself as dangerous to others, second to that he never learned how to related with other women than Eva.
Yes, he always says he has no luck with women, but everytime they seem to be into him, he just avoid them.
All these things can be found in the media related DMC.These data exists and are avaliable.

I don't think his 'profile' said anything about him wanting power because of his mother's death. And even if that were the case, it doesn't say anything about him being absolutely traumatized by it, leading to a change in personality. For all we know, Vergil may always have been quiet and somewhat selfish and so on.

As for Dante, DMC3 stressed that he hunts demons for the fun of it ("I'm absolutely crazy about it!"). If he despised all demons, he wouldn't have let Jester live at first.I could understand that Vergil could be wanting power in order to be better able to protect things in the future, though.
Dante's sex life is pretty bad, really. Lady doesn't seem interested in him, and Trish certainly isn't. I don't count the anime, as I've only watched one or two episodes and found it pretty boring and not too similar to the games. Maybe it's been too long since I played the DMCs, but I don't remember them being as deep as you're making them out to be. There's a lot of reading between the lines you can do, but in the end, it remains guesswork. And considering Vergil really went missing at the age of eight and became Nero Angelo, I'm not sure there's any use in talking about him.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yes, but many times he felt inadequate.

Broly
Trunks and Goku supersaiyan, rest not

"I AM A SAIYAN PRINce!"
"SAIAYAN PRIDE!"

so on.

But yeah Vegeta is bad ass.
EDIT:
I felt he had many traits of superiority complex.

joke
jōk/
noun
noun: joke; plural noun: jokes
  1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, esp. a story with a funny punchline.

"she was in a mood to tell jokes"
    synonyms: funny story, jest, witticism, quip

• a trick played on someone for fun.

IncarnatedDemon

As for Dante, DMC3 stressed that he hunts demons for the fun of it ("I'm absolutely crazy about it!"). If he despised all demons, he wouldn't have let Jester live at first.I could understand that Vergil could be wanting power in order to be better able to protect things in the future, though.
I think your misunderstanding Dante. He hunts demons partially because of his mother's death, but he also does it for sake of protecting humans.
It's true Dante does not hate all demons, only evil ones.

But when it comes to those evil ones, Dante doesn't do it because he finds a joy in killing evil demon. He does it because by killing them he protects humans.
A evil demon killed is a human saved.

If Dante wanted to kill all evil demons he would have gone to demon world and massacred them all. I know...he did in dmc2. But in 1 he told Mundus "Goodbye and when you do come back give my greetings to my son will you".
This implies Dante (at least in dmc1) has no intentions to hunt evil demons for sake of hunting.
He does it with a cause: to protect others, and fact his mother was lost , he is more than happy to kill evil demons to protect humans from dying.

Dante's sex life is pretty bad, really. Lady doesn't seem interested in him, and Trish certainly isn't. I don't count the anime, as I've only watched one or two episodes and found it pretty boring and not too similar to the games. Maybe it's been too long since I played the DMCs, but I don't remember them being as deep as you're making them out to be. There's a lot of reading between the lines you can do, but in the end, it remains guesswork.
Absence of a romantic relationship does not mean there isn't one.
Just think of a professional software development. game =software.
There are constraints:
  • Time
  • Money
  • Other(?)
And you must do your best. compromissing.
Its not always you get to show sex scenes or portray a love relationship. (Kyrie- Nero).
Sometimes games arent mean to have such stuff in it, and when they do its very discrete.
dmc is like that, its not a love story.
Especially the games.

Ask yourself, "Why was there only a 5 characters shown in dmc3?".
Should we assume the abscence of no other humans than Lady, Dante, Vergil and Arkham means that most humans are dead in dmc3?
No. They just didnt prioritize this aspect of the story.

joke
jōk/
noun
noun: joke; plural noun: jokes
  1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, esp. a story with a funny punchline.

"she was in a mood to tell jokes"
    synonyms: funny story, jest, witticism, quip
    • a trick played on someone for fun.
Wasnt aware you were joking. My radar....has failed me.
Ima return it!

Top Bottom