• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

still the most in depth combat system in any character action game

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I think the word you're looking for is 'deep', not 'in-depth'. The deepest combat system.

But yeah, it is pretty deep when it comes to combos, like Bayonetta. Sorry haters, but no matter how much you hate Bayonetta's story or characters or whatever else, it's got some really nice gameplay. Anyway, I can't say how DMC4 compares to every H&S game in existence. I really can't make huge assumptions like that. Nero's gameplay is pretty mediocre though.

Anyway, isn't this a pointless thread? It's not even a real thread, honestly. It's just one person giving his opinion and leaving it at that. Is there a specific question you want to ask, or do you want people to debate something? Be more specific, otherwise it seems like you're trolling.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
QTE. Not even once.
Not even once what? I know the game included QTEs, but if you think there was a constant stream of them, then you obviously haven't played the game much. There were maybe one or two QTEs in combat, but you could choose to steer clear of them by doing the right combo. You want QTEs, then look at Asura's Wrath. Those are QTEs.
Anyway, just because there were some QTEs, that doesn't invalidate the fact that the gameplay overall is good. There is no logic in that.
Fact is, it's very similar to DMC3 and DMC4 in terms of gameplay. And it's really quite good. Can't comment on what Bayonetta 2 will be like, though.

Last edited:

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
What is people deal with QTE anyway? Bayonetta's QTE was more like a reward after you took care of you enemy, and a really FUN one at that. Besides, they were short, so most of the time it wouldn't really get old. It's a stylish way to end combat.
MGR's ones were better though.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
God of War gets away with it because it's not aiming for combat depth, and it is really this grand cinematic game overall.

Ninja Blade is just kind of mediocre imo

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
What is people deal with QTE anyway? Bayonetta's QTE was more like a reward after you took care of you enemy, and a really FUN one at that. Besides, they were short, so most of the time it wouldn't really get old. It's a stylish way to end combat.
MGR's ones were better though.
I don't get it either. I know QTEs can suck, especially ones like those in Resident Evil 6 and games like Asura's Wrath. But the ones in Bayonetta actually served a purpose and weren't annoying at all. Honestly, I'm starting to think it's not Bayonetta's QTEs that people hate, but that the hatred is towards the game itself. I've seen many people hate on Bayonetta just because it contains flamboyant characters and a Japanese vibe overall. People seem to think it's cool to hate it because it represents ''the other side''. One side is western H&S games that focus on the characters and the story, and the other side is Japanese H&S games that focus mainly on gameplay, soundtrack and sometimes characters. People are always looking for something to hate or criticize, even when there's not much to criticize or hate in the first place. I mean, so you might hate Bayonetta's characters. Fine. No reason to start hating the entire game, though. It's not relevant to the thread either.
Maybe it's just all in my head, but that is what I think is going on. Saw the same thing happen with Metal Gear Rising. People seemed to hate it for mostly the same reasons, and (coincidentally?) the hate arose around the time DmC's popularity was at its peak. It's all about starting a little fight, apparently.

QTEs are bad if they take you out of the game. They're bad if you focus all your attention on pressing the right button because 'a millisecond late is too late'. They're bad if they're too exhausting too. In Bayonetta, I don't see the problem. Seems like Platinum Games knows how to implement them well.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well after actually playing the game, I can give an opinion on it now. Bayonetta's QTE's aren't as bad as people make them out to be. The only real downside to them is the button mashing of it all. And that's about it. Other then that the QTE's aren't that big of a deal.

and also, I didn't hate Bayonetta for it's characters and Japanese vibe. I hated it for it's non-exsistant story, and such a low focus on character development. After really playing the game I felt so disconnected with the story and character that really the game might as well have been just all fights no plot. It IS ridiculous though, both good and bad. good for gameplay and all around fun to be had, but bad for cliches and the occasional moments that try to be funny, but just fall flat on its face like the original Devil May Cry series and comedy. I think it's just cultural differences but who knows.

But back to the original topic;

I don't give two sh!ts. DMC4 can be praised as the best H&S ever. That ain't sh!t to me if I myself don't ENJOY what I'm playing.

For me, at least DmC and DMC3 kept me invested.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Well after actually playing the game, I can give an opinion on it now. Bayonetta's QTE's aren't as bad as people make them out to be. The only real downside to them is the button mashing of it all. And that's about it. Other then that the QTE's aren't that big of a deal.

and also, I didn't hate Bayonetta for it's characters and Japanese vibe. I hated it for it's non-exsistant story, and such a low focus on character development. After really playing the game I felt so disconnected with the story and character that really the game might as well have been just all fights no plot. It IS ridiculous though, both good and bad. good for gameplay and all around fun to be had, but bad for cliches and the occasional moments that try to be funny, but just fall flat on its face like the original Devil May Cry series and comedy. I think it's just cultural differences but who knows.

But back to the original topic;

I don't give two sh!ts. DMC4 can be praised as the best H&S ever. That ain't sh!t to me if I myself don't ENJOY what I'm playing.

For me, at least DmC and DMC3 kept me invested.
Yeah, I think the things that fall flat on their face for you are the things I (and many others) find really enjoyable about it. To you, DMC3 might be the worst one in that regard. I even find the clichés nice - honestly, DmC also had many of them; it's just western clichés instead of Japanese clichés. I guess it's just the kind of weird Japanese thing you have to be into.

I quite liked some of the humor, like when they're on the helicopter and the camera dramatically pans in on incoming rockets, young Cereza holding a stuffed puppet, and then suddenly Bayonetta's cleavage. XD
I love how self-conscious the game is about its clichés too.

As for the story, I think it was pretty basic (don't remember a lot of it), but basic is fine for me. I liked MGR too, even though I usually find deep characters pretty important. Character development is not important to me - there are many, *many* games that feature characters that don't change in any way, aside from playing out the plot. Most games are like that, I think, and I don't see any problem with it.

Yeah, I guess it depends on your preferences and priorities.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Honestly dunno what it has with story and characters. But hey imo, there is only 2 action games that really managed to keep character development and story on top and those were Lords of Shadows and Heavenly Sword. Sadly both were lacking in combat department. Otherwise I don't feel like deep engaging story is a must for action game. Best combat games out there (likes of Bayonetta, DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden) can't really boast good story, but they can boast sheer amount of entertainment. In the end it's all about which genre they belong to, since they don't require heavy story to keep player engaged with them.

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
Honestly dunno what it has with story and characters. But hey imo, there is only 2 action games that really managed to keep character development and story on top and those were Lords of Shadows and Heavenly Sword. Sadly both were lacking in combat department. Otherwise I don't feel like deep engaging story is a must for action game. Best combat games out there (likes of Bayonetta, DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden) can't really boast good story, but they can boast sheer amount of entertainment. In the end it's all about which genre they belong to, since they don't require heavy story to keep player engaged with them.
Pretty much. I'm a DMC fan for the action. I'm a LoK fan for the story.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
The only hack n' slash game I found to have a truly exceptional story was Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. And that game gets a lot of flak for gameplay elements derived from God of War, a complaint I find funny given how much GoW is derived from Legacy of Kain.

But in complete honesty, I believe the Devil May Cry series has the potential for a competent narrative if literally ANYBODY else pens the story instead of Capcom.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
GoW borrowed from original castlevanias, making whole complaint about how LoS copied GoW complete ignorant. Though LoS combat system could be a little bit responsive + upgrades could have make more impact.

Top Bottom