• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Spoiler Alert* Vergil's Downfall ending question

Zarmat

That's true, I didn't mean to exactly compare there, just a quick comparison how they are more alike from those point than DMC Nelo Angelo, though technically there were people in the city in DMC3, just not what we saw, beside from the blood stains in that strip club :p

But so far I've been enjoying the DmC Vergil a lot more than the old one, I always like seeing a good guy go bad from whatever reasons, was always a fan of the Lich King from WoW for example. I felt the old one wasn't ever explored enough.

Nelo_Vergil

That's true, I didn't mean to exactly compare there, just a quick comparison how they are more alike from those point than DMC Nelo Angelo, though technically there were people in the city in DMC3, just not what we saw, beside from the blood stains in that strip club :p

But so far I've been enjoying the DmC Vergil a lot more than the old one, I always like seeing a good guy go bad from whatever reasons, was always a fan of the Lich King from WoW for example. I felt the old one wasn't ever explored enough.

you know i never really understood why DMC vergil is bad..... there's no real motive aside from the generic "more power". Basically he wants power but for no reason.

Zarmat

before his corruption, I don't believe he was bad, just wanted the power for unknown reasons, seen a few theories behind it over the years, like how their mother death impacted him and felt useless that he couldn't protect the ones he cared about and wanted the power so he was able to do so, which would also explains why he still cared for his brother at the end. But yea this is why I felt the old Vergil still need more exploring, he wasn't fleshed out enough, even in it was just a comic or something.

Nelo_Vergil

before his corruption, I don't believe he was bad, just wanted the power for unknown reasons, seen a few theories behind it over the years, like how their mother death impacted him and felt useless that he couldn't protect the ones he cared about and wanted the power so he was able to do so, which would also explains why he still cared for his brother at the end. But yea this is why I felt the old Vergil still need more exploring, he wasn't fleshed out enough, even in it was just a comic or something.

but even that theory doesn't make sense for two reasons.

1) the novels aren't really cannon and capcom not saying they are only makes it harder to prove they are.

2)his mother is already dead so his reason to gain power again makes no sense. during the game he didn't mention he wanted to protect anyone either and he was willing to kill dante if need be to attain such a power.

that i aside i feel old vergils character was completely botched. DmC vergil is much more out there and fleshed out. He even has his own motivations and a somewhat complete backstory

Zarmat

Like I said just a theory I was using an example. Plus I wasn't mention any past novels/comics, but releasing some in future which could explain his actions better which they could count as canon, since I doubt it will ever be done in another game.

that i aside i feel old vergils character was completely botched. DmC vergil is much more out there and fleshed out. He even has his own motivations and a somewhat complete backstory
This is how I exactly feel about the new Vergil. I love the old DMC series and even hope maybe one more game to finish the series off better sometime down the track BUT I'm loving the new DmC, its been great restart and so far and seems to have learnt from the mistakes of the old series.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
So many things come into play with new Vergil. He's jealous that Dante ran off with his former lover, he feels betrayed by his whole family and worst of all everything he ever believed him disappeared.

That's enough motivation for power. Both the sons of sparda craved power. But their use for power is different.

That is why DmC vergil is miles ahead of old vergil story wise.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
1) the novels aren't really cannon and capcom not saying they are only makes it harder to prove they are.

Yes they are, Capcom has said in the past they are, and Kamiya even relayed before he left capcom that the old DMC novels are canon, so was the manga. He noted the conflicting backstory info due to DMC3, but the novels are still canon.

2)his mother is already dead so his reason to gain power again makes no sense. during the game he didn't mention he wanted to protect anyone either and he was willing to kill dante if need be to attain such a power.

Yeah, and it's not "theory" that Vergil's obsession with power is because of Eva's death, that's verified by Capcom with his character info in MvC3.

Nelo_Vergil

Yeah, and it's not "theory" that Vergil's obsession with power is because of Eva's death, that's verified by Capcom with his character info in MvC3.

now thats just stupid -_- its like they made vergil only for DMC3 and didn't know what to with him afterwards. I laugh at anyone who ever uses such a poor motivation

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
now thats just stupid -_- its like they made vergil only for DMC3 and didn't know what to with him afterwards. I laugh at anyone who ever uses such a poor motivation

Oh, trust me, I know. Even the Manga tried to give him some kind of motivation, or at least seemed to start on it. We got some vague hint in DMC3 that it was to be like Sparda...and even Dante pointed out "You're NEVER going to be like him." A lot of it, i think, comes from teh fact that the writing staff under Itsuno really didn't care much for Vergil and really only worried about having this easy workable 1-dimensional villian. It's really teh FANS that have tried to give depth to him until we got DmC!vergil and an explination that he HAD semi-benevolent intentions that got twisted by his anger and need for control.

Nelo_Vergil

Oh, trust me, I know. Even the Manga tried to give him some kind of motivation, or at least seemed to start on it. We got some vague hint in DMC3 that it was to be like Sparda...and even Dante pointed out "You're NEVER going to be like him." A lot of it, i think, comes from teh fact that the writing staff under Itsuno really didn't care much for Vergil and really only worried about having this easy workable 1-dimensional villian. It's really teh FANS that have tried to give depth to him until we got DmC!vergil and an explination that he HAD semi-benevolent intentions that got twisted by his anger and need for control.

what capcom needs to do is not a whole childhood backstory but highlight specific moments in vergils childhood that made him want to become like sparda. Vergil wanting to become like sparda is a much better drive but then the question becomes what drove him? hence why i want capcom to highlight those moments instead of doing a whole childhood thing.

Top Bottom