• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Something I don't quite understand.

Exejpgwmv

I think it's because of power. The more power a demon has, the more he could abuse. Not a well cinstructed theory on my part, just what's on my mind.

Also, why did Dante's hair grow? I mean, I get why it turned white, but the growth still bugs me.
Well we never see him cut it, so I guess it just grew out naturally.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Now who ever said Mundus was a lord of all Demons? All we know is that he was a very influential and powerful demon king.
And what do you think 'king' means? You think the queen of England is only queen of only some of the English?

0:20-0:33

And I'm not basing their nature on just what I see. I'm basing it on logic. For example Phineas, an old and intelligent demon who has probably literally been to hell and back and knows many more demons than Dante does, tells us so. And Sparda is a prime example of a demon changing his ways.
He never said 'demons' aren't evil, he said he 'don't judge me for been a demon,' the subtle difference been he never implied that demons are not evil by nature, just him and his father which is what made them unique. Again, exceptions, not rules.

As for angles, what makes you think all Angles are inherently good?
I saw maybe six angels and none were portrayed as evil. All women, useless, except for Eva, they just stand around looking rather than doing, but not evil.

Last edited:

Sunaka Marién

I meant during the cutscene, he had his cropped hair and then suddenly, boom! Longer hair.
Because he's a magical girl! :tongue: I've always been wondering this too, I guess there isn't really a logical explaination to it, exept for like, some sorta foreshadowning that he's gonna have longer hair, like original Dante. Or maybe you could say, that since he released so much power, it made, uh, whaddaya call it? Idk, it just made his body do stuff quicker, so his hair grew, or something *shrugs*
1)Well since all morals are subjective and differ from person to person I don't quite get your first point.
2)I view demons like view people who are raised in ghettos or places with lots of violence and savagery. Yes even the "good" people from those kinds of places tend to be rough around the edges but it's not because they were simply "Born that way."
1) There is general consensus of what is morally ok and what not for a lot of things, for example pretty much everyone agrees that it is not ok to kill somebody, whereas demons don't really seem to think so.
2) I don't think you can compare them to those kinda people :/ Also, to stay in the game's world, look at Dante. He also grew up in ghettos, and he ain't quite like the demons.
Personally, I don't think we're even supposed to view them just like humans that grew up under bad circumstances, otherwise it wouldn't portrayed as being ok to just kill them, if they'd be just like human beings.

Exejpgwmv

[quote
And what do you think 'king' means? You think the queen of England is only queen of only some of the English?

He never said 'demons' aren't evil, he said he 'don't judge me for been a demon,' the subtle difference been he never implied that demons are not evil by nature, just him and his father which is what made them unique. Again, exceptions, not rules.

I saw maybe six angels and none were portrayed as evil. All women, useless, except for Eva, they just stand around looking rather than doing, but not evil.
="berto, post: 537746, member: 16927"]And what do you think 'king' means? You think the queen of England is only queen of only some of the English?

I saw maybe six angels and none were portrayed as evil. All women, useless, except for Eva, they just stand around looking rather than doing, but not evil.[/quote]

So despite Phineas saying it is incorrect to assume he is evil just because he is a demon (which implies that being a demon doesn't make automatically bad) and having no concrete proof you get assume so?
And the game use the term "Demon King" like it's based on how powerful you are. Not as if it's an actual position in a hierarchy.

Last edited:

Exejpgwmv

Because he's a magical girl! :tongue: I've always been wondering this too, I guess there isn't really a logical explaination to it, exept for like, some sorta foreshadowning that he's gonna have longer hair, like original Dante. Or maybe you could say, that since he released so much power, it made, uh, whaddaya call it? Idk, it just made his body do stuff quicker, so his hair grew, or something *shrugs*

1) There is general consensus of what is morally ok and what not for a lot of things, for example pretty much everyone agrees that it is not ok to kill somebody, whereas demons don't really seem to think so.
2) I don't think you can compare them to those kinda people :/ Also, to stay in the game's world, look at Dante. He also grew up in ghettos, and he ain't quite like the demons.
Personally, I don't think we're even supposed to view them just like humans that grew up under bad circumstances, otherwise it wouldn't portrayed as being ok to just kill them, if they'd be just like human beings.
1) I still don't get your point. I never said they had the same morals.
2)Why can't they be compared to those kind of people?
And yes he is. Dante is shown to be (most of the time) a ruthless killer. Some times even deriving pleasure/enjoyment from killing his enemies.

Sunaka Marién

1) I still don't get your point. I never said they had the same morals.
2)Why can't they be compared to those kind of people?
And yes he is. Dante is shown to be (most of the time) a ruthless killer. Some times even deriving pleasure/enjoyment from killing his enemies.
1) But having these morals is part of what makes us human, isn't it?
2) Not so sure, it just doesn't seem right...like, people that grew up in ghettos still have the morals of a human being, I guess? Sure, there are also people with the morals of a demon, and maybe someone who grew up in a ghetto is more likely to be like that then someone who grew up in a better environment, but those are a minority, I suppose? I don't know anybody who grew up in a ghetto, so I don't know all that much about it, but from what you see in the media, most people seem to be relatively good people, just that they're very poor and don't really have anything besides themselves, so comparing demons to them seems unfair and sorta rude to me.
3) But those enemies are demons :/ Demons that attack him, demons that tortured him and ruined his life. He was never shown to have killed another human being, or anybody else who was innocent.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
And the game use the term "Demon King" like it's based on how powerful you are. Not as if it's an actual position in a hierarchy.

It IS an actual position in a hierarchy! The lore of DmC states that Mundus rules over the demonic hordes as their king. The idea the he's the king isn't based on some arbitrary level of power, it's based on everyone and their mother in DmC talking about how Mundus is the king or how he became the king.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So despite Phineas saying it is incorrect to assume he is evil just because he is a demon (which implies that being a demon doesn't make automatically bad) and having no concrete proof you get assume so?
I do have proof, he is the only demon we see with any morals, name another demon in the game we actually see that fits that criteria, and Sparda doesn't count since we never see him but I will grant it since it's something we assume to be true. Now tell me, where in the game I can see these other demons that have moralistic values besides those two, where I can see the moral gray they are meant to portray or are capable of been.

You serious? :unsure: ← (Note emoticon for what I mean by that)
Because if you are I'd like to know where the other demon kings are and why killing them to free humanity isn't an issue.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Because if you are I'd like to know where the other demon kings are and why killing them to free humanity isn't an issue.

Supposedly there are a handful of demon kings (Sparda was one of them, as was Mundus), but Mundus was the grand pooba of them all since he was the one in power.

Exejpgwmv

It IS an actual position in a hierarchy! The lore of DmC states that Mundus rules over the demonic hordes as their king. The idea the he's the king isn't based on some arbitrary level of power, it's based on everyone and their mother in DmC talking about how Mundus is the king or how he became the king.
Well **** that lady.

Anyways, if you are correct and it is a hierarchy then I apologize. But if it is then wouldn't it have made more sense to have born into the role? Because in most hierarchies I know of you are born into your role and you can't simply "Raise through the ranks."

Exejpgwmv

I do have proof, he is the only demon we see with any morals, name another demon in the game we actually see that fits that criteria, and Sparda doesn't count since we never see him but I will grant it since it's something we assume to be true. Now tell me, where in the game I can see these other demons that have moralistic values besides those two, where I can see the moral gray they are meant to portray or are capable of been.

You serious? :unsure: ← (Note emoticon for what I mean by that)
1)The reason we don't see many good ones is because in the game Dante, Vergil, and Kat only go on missions to deal with the bad ones. In the context of the game we have no reason to meet ANY good demons.
2)Well since it's my theory that whether or not someone is demon king is based on how powerful they are I don't see why they would need to enslave humanity.

Exejpgwmv

1) But having these morals is part of what makes us human, isn't it?
2) Not so sure, it just doesn't seem right...like, people that grew up in ghettos still have the morals of a human being, I guess? Sure, there are also people with the morals of a demon, and maybe someone who grew up in a ghetto is more likely to be like that then someone who grew up in a better environment, but those are a minority, I suppose? I don't know anybody who grew up in a ghetto, so I don't know all that much about it, but from what you see in the media, most people seem to be relatively good people, just that they're very poor and don't really have anything besides themselves, so comparing demons to them seems unfair and sorta rude to me.
3) But those enemies are demons :/ Demons that attack him, demons that tortured him and ruined his life. He was never shown to have killed another human being, or anybody else who was innocent.
1)No? Anyways I said that demons were like humans in that they were not inherently good or evil not because have the same morals.
2)Okay let me be more clear.
"Good" people from raised in violent environments tend to be more like Dante. They are kind of rough around the edges, but not because they were simply "born that way." And the "bad" people tend to be like some of the bosses we face in the game: cruel and sadistic.
3)Well you asked me how Dante was similar to the Demons like Mundus and I gave you one. He is extremely violent, impulsive, and derives enjoyment in killing his enemies. BUT I do think for the most part he is justified in his actions.

Exejpgwmv

You mean like Phineas? If they were there why is there no mention of them? You keep saying they're there but not where? If they are so good why haven't they aligned with Vergil or tryed to help the humans?

Have you seriously not watched this:

1)What would be the point in mentioning them? And good doesn't mean "willing to help."
2)No where in that video is it said that Sparda was a Demon king or that there were several of them.

berto

I Saw the Devil
1)What would be the point in mentioning them? And good doesn't mean "willing to help."
To tell of of their existence. Something that important shouldn't just be left up to the imagination, it should be very clearly stated and imposed. Demons can be equally good as they can be evil is not something that should be vague. You still haven't provided evidence that there are more good ones out there out side 'what's the point of mentioning them?' That's just specious reasoning.

If they don't want to help what makes them so good? How are they good? That they don't hurt makes them good? Then they aren't 'good,' they are, at best, neutral. When they see evil happening and they won't even lift a finger in secret then they don't qualify as good, do they? If they had that potential than more than a few would act on that potential, not just the two.

2)No where in that video is it said that Sparda was a Demon king or that there were several of them.
Ah. There you go, there aren't any others, he is the only king.

Exejpgwmv

To tell of of their existence. Something that important shouldn't just be left up to the imagination, it should be very clearly stated and imposed. Demons can be equally good as they can be evil is not something that should be vague. You still haven't provided evidence that there are more good ones out there out side 'what's the point of mentioning them?' That's just specious reasoning.

If they don't want to help what makes them so good? How are they good? That they don't hurt makes them good? Then they aren't 'good,' they are, at best, neutral. When they see evil happening and they won't even lift a finger in secret then they don't qualify as good, do they? If they had that potential than more than a few would act on that potential, not just the two.

Ah. There you go, there aren't any others, he is the only king.
1)Says who?
2)That was not even remotely my only reason. And your only reason seems to be because you don't SEE anymore than Phineas and Sparda despite the fact that almost every single revolves around intentionally seeking out the bad ones.
And what "potential" are you talking about? And as you should know there is difference between willing and able.
Also not "seeing" something is not even remotely proof that it can't or hasn't happened.
3)Which is why I asked TWOxACROSS where he heard that there were more than one Demon King and that Sparda was one.

Top Bottom