• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Something I don't quite understand.

Exejpgwmv

As we already know from the game being a demon is (mental/morally) like being a human, you are not inherently good or evil. Prime examples of this being Sparda, Phineas, and Mundus.

What I'm confused about is, if this is true then why would Vergil excepting his demonic side or using his Devil trigger make him "lose his humanity"?

The only explanation I can think of is that the power is to much for him to mentally handle and is making him go insane every time he uses it.

Railazel

No, he had this problem in "The Chronicles of Vergil" as well. Before the game even started.

It's true that when they DT, Dante and Vergil lose part of themselves but both learned how to control it. It wasn't until Vergil went to Hell where he embraced his demonic side which, as I said, is more Hell's fault.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Or it could be Angel and Demon blood not "mixing" well together meaning there's a higher chance of "madness" for Nephilims than Angels and Demons. Hmm, I don't remember correctly, but Vampire Hunter D played with this idea as well. D is a dhampir and like DMC Dante and DmC Dante, they don't want to abuse or use their unearthly heritage as much as DMC Vergil and DmC Vergil. I think D tries not to drink blood at any cost since it could make him addicted to it, kind of like how DmC Vergil overusing his demonic powers changes him. Maybe I'm thinking of another series, but there is a series besides Ben 10 where Kevin E. Levin and other Osmosians can become addicted and driven mad by overusing/abusing their powers. Well, maybe someone knows what I'm talking about.

The Final Offer

I believe it has alot to do with the use of the element. DT could be like a disease that spreads each time it's exposed. DT is focused on manipulating/abusing the amygdala. The more angry you are, the stronger the DT and the harder it is to think rationally. The only thing feeding you at this point is demonic energy because of your homicidal intentions are what powers it. I'd like to say it's flushing out the Angel element. Which would make sense seeing as all the Angelic weapons are lightweight and fast yet, weaker and clean.

The Final Offer

Who says anything demonic is what's behind why Vergil is a gigantic selfish douchenozzle? He just is. Similarly to the classic Vergil, the two are dickholes by pure virtue of feeling they're owed something for their "higher birth".

It's not really all that different from some yuppie f#ck with affluenza.

No, I don't believe that. I believe he's a being that relied on his powers too much and has been turned inside out by them.

When in Vergil's Downfall, did Vergil not try to save Kat from her pursuer? There is a reason his state is called "Weak Vergil", it's him before the events that changed him. The whole point of Vergil's Downfall was to help us understand that he can no longer fight for the good because of the evil that's been done to him has rotted his heart.

The strongest sin, is betrayal. This is why DmC has a emphasis on the act. Kat was betrayed. Dante was betrayed. Vergil was betrayed. Vergil started off as a the savior. He was cleansing Limbo, building an army, releasing prisoners, opening eyes, etc. They say the leader is always the one who gets it the worst and judging from my very own experience...I have to confirm that as truth.

Vergil simply wasn't strong enough to endure those events. He does triumph over his devil side and uses the persuasion of power to insure that he never EVER deals with that pain or manipulation again.

berto

I Saw the Devil
As we already know from the game being a demon is (mental/morally) like being a human, you are not inherently good or evil. Prime examples of this being Sparda, Phineas, and Mundus.

What I'm confused about is, if this is true then why would Vergil excepting his demonic side or using his Devil trigger make him "lose his humanity"?

The only explanation I can think of is that the power is to much for him to mentally handle and is making him go insane every time he uses it.
It's all debatable. You can chuck it up to hollow Vergil been a manifestation of his subconscious, his shadow, or his demonic side. It could also have no answer, just something to fit the situation rather than anything really that profound to be understood, just accepted.

You assume that demons are not inherently evil but through the entire game we only know of two who fit that criteria and you kill thousands who don't. The numbers are against that statement.

Sunaka Marién

Ah, I wouldn't say demons can be compared to humans so easily; while it is true that they have feelings and are capable of moral judgement, they don't seem to have the same understanding of morally right or wrong as humans do, and overall seem to be a much more brutal beings. For example, while Phineas is an example of a 'good' demon, he was the one to tell Dante to kill Mundus' child, a suggesstion that is at the very least morally questionable.
However, what I find more important about the 'loosing humanity'-thing is what happened to Dante during his fight with Vergil - he lost control over himself, and quite apparently wasn't able to distinguish between right or wrong; he even needed outside help to regain control. So, I'd imagine that, the more often Devil Trigger is being used, the more difficult it gets for them to stay in control.

Railazel

Demons appear to be a race of sociopaths, thinking in cold pragmatism more than feelings or morals

I wouldn't say cold pragmatism. Bob Barbas telling Dante about the SWAT teams invasion prior to it starting wasn't exactly logical. I would call it an attitude of supremacy.

Exejpgwmv

It's all debatable. You can chuck it up to hollow Vergil been a manifestation of his subconscious, his shadow, or his demonic side. It could also have no answer, just something to fit the situation rather than anything really that profound to be understood, just accepted.

You assume that demons are not inherently evil but through the entire game we only know of two who fit that criteria and you kill thousands who don't. The numbers are against that statement.
There are also 100's of thousands of humans in the world who are just as bloodthirsty and cruel as any demon we meet in the game.

Exejpgwmv

Ah, I wouldn't say demons can be compared to humans so easily; while it is true that they have feelings and are capable of moral judgement, they don't seem to have the same understanding of morally right or wrong as humans do, and overall seem to be a much more brutal beings. For example, while Phineas is an example of a 'good' demon, he was the one to tell Dante to kill Mundus' child, a suggesstion that is at the very least morally questionable.
However, what I find more important about the 'loosing humanity'-thing is what happened to Dante during his fight with Vergil - he lost control over himself, and quite apparently wasn't able to distinguish between right or wrong; he even needed outside help to regain control. So, I'd imagine that, the more often Devil Trigger is being used, the more difficult it gets for them to stay in control.
1)Well since all morals are subjective and differ from person to person I don't quite get your first point.
2)I view demons like view people who are raised in ghettos or places with lots of violence and savagery. Yes even the "good" people from those kinds of places tend to be rough around the edges but it's not because they were simply "Born that way."

berto

I Saw the Devil
There are also 100's of thousands of humans in the world who are just as bloodthirsty and cruel as any demon we meet in the game.
By numbers the amount of 'bloodthirsty' humans compared to the general population are in the minority. If you earned the trophy to kill 500o demons that 2 good ones to the thousands of bad ones.

Exejpgwmv

By numbers the amount of 'bloodthirsty' humans compared to the general population are in the minority. If you earned the trophy to kill 500o demons that 2 good ones to the thousands of bad ones.
Well since the majority of demons we see are just Mundus's henchmen we can't really pass judgement on all of them.
And what did you mean by "the numbers are against"? I just said demons are like humans in that they are not inherently good or evil. I didn't comment which side was more prevalent.
And also, how do you know how many demons there are?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well since the majority of demons we see are just Mundus's henchmen we can't really pass judgement on all of them.
And what did you mean by "the numbers are against"? I just said demons are like humans in that they are not inherently good or evil. I didn't comment which side was more prevalent.
And also, how do you know how many demons there are?
Since Mundus is the lord of demons those who are not his lackeys are in the decline, two good compared to the masses that are evil don't make an argument for a neutral nature that could go ether way, two are exception, not prof of nature.

I'm not using code. 'The numbers are against' is just that, thousands of demons against two good ones. Were demons a more benign or potentially benevolent race there would be a point of making it known. As to how many demons there are, the game tells me how many I killed, if there were just as good as there were bad it wouldn't be angels vs demons, it'd be the good demons and angels against the bad ones.

DMCGamer1989

I think it's because of power. The more power a demon has, the more he could abuse. Not a well cinstructed theory on my part, just what's on my mind.

Also, why did Dante's hair grow? I mean, I get why it turned white, but the growth still bugs me.

Exejpgwmv

Since Mundus is the lord of demons those who are not his lackeys are in the decline, two good compared to the masses that are evil don't make an argument for a neutral nature that could go ether way, two are exception, not prof of nature.

I'm not using code. 'The numbers are against' is just that, thousands of demons against two good ones. Were demons a more benign or potentially benevolent race there would be a point of making it known. As to how many demons there are, the game tells me how many I killed, if there were just as good as there were bad it wouldn't be angels vs demons, it'd be the good demons and angels against the bad ones.
Now who ever said Mundus was a lord of all Demons? All we know is that he was a very influential and powerful demon king.
And I'm not basing their nature on just what I see. I'm basing it on logic. For example Phineas, an old and intelligent demon who has probably literally been to hell and back and knows many more demons than Dante does, tells us so. And Sparda is a prime example of a demon changing his ways.

As for angles, what makes you think all Angles are inherently good?

Top Bottom