• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So this guy at 4Chan claims he tested the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Now, he says a bunch of stuff about the levels he played but 4Chan is 4Chan and you can really only trust so much of what is said there. I'm just ganna paste what he said, you decide if you belive him or not.

It's important that you know that this is very likely false, if any of you don't surf at 4Chan and are incline to belive him trust me when i say this happens alot and the only reason I'm posting is because I thought I'd let you deside for yourself rather than just not posting and waisting people's time. Besides it's a fun read, even if it's likely all false.

Alright, /vg/. I've spoken with some of you before about having playtested DmC before. Well, not too long ago I playtested a much more recent build of the game.​
Ask me anything and I will answer it to the best of my ability.​

Well since it doesn't seem many, or any, people are here I will just type some things out. I’ll have to break this up into multiple posts, and since most of them contain plot spoilers I will use spoiler tags.​
Overall the game is a lot more fluid since I last played it. It feels pretty floaty, and it doesn't really feel like Devil May Cry, but it wasn't too terrible. The combat seemed pretty simplistic, but at the very least, chaining attacks from different modes (angel, devil and human) works a lot better than it did before. The two grappling attacks can be abused pretty heavily, the angel one pulls you to an enemy and the devil one pulls them to you. It could have just been for the playtest, but enemy AI seemed really awful. They just sort of waddled towards your general direction, and were incredibly easy to avoid.​

Continued​
Alright, for story and whatnot, the first section we tested had to do with a “Hunter” demon bringing Dante into limbo. It served mostly as a quick tutorial. Something I found a bit annoying was a scene where a white wig or something hair-like blows in the wind onto Dante’s head and he looks into a mirror and remarks, “Not in a million years.” All of this took place on a pier / carnival, and in the real world it things being destroyed was considered the act of terrorists, or so we’re lead to believe.​

Continued​
The second section was a city section. I’ve seen this area in trailers, and I’ve also played it before. It has changed quite a bit since I played it about a year ago. Throughout the level you’re following Kat (I think that was her name). She is a psychic and can see things happening in limbo while in the real world. She mentions that Vergil taught her how to use magic and that he said she was a natural. She uses a spray paint can to “cast” a spell. She mentions that she prepares them in advance in these cans, or something like that. The police in the real world spot her using the spray paint on something, so she runs off and you start the platforming segment. Eventually you make your way to a church to fight a mini-boss of sorts, and after a world-morphing sequence where you use your angel glide to traverse, you break through a window and meet back up with Kat. It seemed mostly like a tutorial for using the grappling attacks in the environment to move platforms, and angel glide (a sort of triple jump that glides you forward) to get onto them.​

Continued​
The third section was a boss fight. I don’t recall if the boss’ name was given or not, but the whole thing was largely unfinished, and it was very obvious. The boss was this ugly larvae-looking thing with a face. It was dangling by some wires or something, handing onto a platform with its four arms. It knew Dante was the son of Sparda and Eva, and it was swearing constantly. The fight was pretty simple. Whack at its hands, and dodge its attacks. After you damage the hands enough you jump around and use your angel grapple attack to swing to other platforms and then use the devil grapple to pull sections of the wires out. After doing this twice it drops down below into some yellow liquid where you whack at its hands some more and it eventually gets cut up by a large fan. It mentions that Mundus, and how it is still useful to Mundus, or something of that sort. At the end of this section we see a cut scene that takes place somewhere else. A fat man with a symbol on his head (who is presumably Mundus) is ****ing a woman who is in a skin-tight suit, named Lilith. He mentions how his succubus was killed. I’m assuming the larvae boss was his succubus, but it was not clarified.​

Last one​
The fourth section starts with a cut scene. We see Vergil for the first time. He is wearing a black coat, and really looks nothing like Vergil from the other games. To be expected. Mundus has taken Kat and is holding her hostage for the Neraphim, if I recall correctly. Vergil is surprised by this. According the Vergil, Mundus is in the dark because he does not know that Dante is his brother or that Vergil himself is the Neraphim. He mentions how it is too risky to have Dante rush in there and save Kat. Dante mentions how he knows that Lilith is carrying Mundus’ child because some other demon told him about it. The level itself takes place in a night club, Lilith’s night club. I didn’t get to finish this level, but the world morphing turned it into a gauntlet of demons.​
And that is about it. If you've got questions, I will try to answer them the best I can. Feel free to not believe me, but if you've been around on /v/ and heard me talk about testing these games before, nearly a year ago, all of the things I said about it then have since come into light (such as angel and devil mode).​

After that there were some questions, he also posted a botton scheeme:

You can dodge in any direction on both the ground and air by default. This my be an ability you have to purchase at some point in the game. We could also double jump by default.

Which reminds me, I can post the game's control scheme

Y / Triangle = Attack
B / Circle = Launcher attack
A / Cross = Jump
X / Square = Grappling attacks in angel and devil mode
[X / Square is also for shooting ebony and ivory, when not using angel or devil mode.]
R1 or L1 = Evade
Holding R2 = Devil Mode
Holding L2 = Angel Mode
R3 + L3 = Devil Trigger
DPad = I believe these were used for weapon swapping, which we didn't have access to. We only had Rebellion, Ebony and Ivory, Devil mode and Angel mode. (I vaguely remember some people saying there were some sort of issues with cannon if he had ebony and ivory, but he does call his guns that).

Devil Trigger is used for some platforming things. Typing it out reminded me that on the fourth section, in the gauntlet area, there was a large gap with platforms spinning very quickly. Using Devil Trigger slows them down and allows you to use the angel mode grapple to move onto, and past them.

We had a cheat-sheet of sorts that listed the controls, and there was no lock-on. I suppose that could change in the future, since the game is still in development.

And here are a few other things that the guy said that might be of interest (if it's real:/ )

Devil Trigger lasted quite awhile. I don't know if this was because we were given a large DT meter and it would normally be smaller, or not. I never actually let to go from full to empty because it was really not necessary. It is incredibly easy mode. When you activated it, the enemies around you are thrown into the air, helpless, and everything slows down to a crawl. When you deactivate it, the enemies fall and remain helpless, on the ground, for a short while.
^We all knew this one already

The only enemy that I remember it being very noticeable with was a larger one, with a spherical thing on its stomach that was its weak point. After canceling DT it would fall down and lie on its back for a few seconds, allowing you to attack it with no repercussion.

The whole game seemed toned down, as far as difficulty goes. It was really easy to combo things until they were dead, or stay in the air indefinitely with the angel grapple. The environments were pretty bland, for the most part. Some of it was kind of neat, though. I recall an area on the pier/carnival stage that had a "haunted house" sort of thing, like you'd find at a carnival, with all sorts of cogs and whatnot that burst out of the walls and become a hazard. You take damage if you hit them, but they also pretty much killed enemies outright if you launched them into them. It really was not difficult at all. However, I would not be surprised if this was an easy setting or something because in the playtest you've got all sorts of people, including those with very little experience with these types of games.

It wasn't Ninja Theory who did the playtest. Game companies occasionally hire this market research company, whose name I will not specify, to get people to try their games for them and get feedback. My friend and I are both signed up to get emails whenever this company is looking for people to do playtests.

When you get the email, you're asked to fill out a short survey, and based on that they let you know if they can use you for the playtest or not. They're usually one day things, about 2-3 hours long, and pay anywhere from $50 to $100.

As i said, people, it's the internet, grain of salt.

ZeroLove

lol no!
As soon I read "4chan", I didn't believe a word of it. If he really had tested it, he would have posted this at a more serious forum. 4chan is for lollers.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
You believe 4chan? What kind of idiot are you? Those people are stupid enough to try to troll bronies, and they never succeed, because you can't troll us

Frantix

I'd try not to put to much faith in what you find on 4chan. I believe that's where the gun overheat rumor came from.

EDIT: It's very detailed, I'll give it that.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
ae037c5270eb6e2de9775fe388f0204e.jpg

berto

I Saw the Devil
You believe 4chan? What kind of idiot are you? Those people are stupid enough to try to troll bronies, and they never succeed, because you can't troll us

First of all don't call me an idiot. Second, did you read it? Did you read my post about where it came from and what that implies? Obviously not. The fact is that we all know the what 4chan is and how it goes. I posted it because I thought that poeple might get a kick out of it. In fact, if it wasn't all leaning to a very obvious not fake I would've made it in to a poll and have people bet on fake or not.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
>Separate button for launcher attack
>Dodge button not being a face button
>No taunt button

Oh god all of this has to be fake.
There's no way this is real.
But it wouldn't surprise me if some other forums mistook this for being authentic. Entertaining, anyway.

Railazel

For those of you who believe this is real, here are some tips:
1) He wouldn't be able to give that information out and there's really no incentive for him to do so.
2) The playtests he describes were already seen in trailers.
3) Pay attention to his story, does it make sense to you? Why would NT make up something like that?
4) The story "spoilers" detail a good amount of the story itself, enough for us to figure out the entire storyline if we wished. That's a little too much for a mere playtest.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
For those of you who believe this is real, here are some tips:
1) He wouldn't be able to give that information out and there's really no incentive for him to do so.
2) The playtests he describes were already seen in trailers.
3) Pay attention to his story, does it make sense to you? Why would NT make up something like that?
4) The story "spoilers" detail a good amount of the story itself, enough for us to figure out the entire storyline if we wished. That's a little too much for a mere playtest.
i definitely have to agree. i guess he should make a fan fiction :)

Chimera Khaos

Hades Leading General Commander
I'm in two minds:
A part of me wants to believe it, but the other part just can't, it seems too good to be true...
And how do we even know if it's real?
All they've done is post a couple things, no hard evidence...
If they can't give me hard evidence, then I'm not convinced...

Period...

ZeroLove

I'm in two minds:
A part of me wants to believe it, but the other part just can't, it seems too good to be true...
And how do we even know if it's real?
All they've done is post a couple things, no hard evidence...
If they can't give me hard evidence, then I'm not convinced...

Period...

Do like me: Don't believe anything than the hard facts, because those you can trust.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Personally, out of all of that I think it's the Vergil stuff that really screams fanfic the most. I might've belived everything else from another source, but the Vergil thing really sticks out for some reason.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
First of all don't call me an idiot. Second, did you read it? Did you read my post about where it came from and what that implies? Obviously not. The fact is that we all know the what 4chan is and how it goes. I posted it because I thought that poeple might get a kick out of it. In fact, if it wasn't all leaning to a very obvious not fake I would've made it in to a poll and have people bet on fake or not.
Maybe you would like to hear about their famous Club Penguin "Purple Republic"
That's the kind of stuff from them people get a kick out of, I know this because I go on it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom