• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So I just finished playing Vergil's Downfall...

ZeroLove

(WARNING: May contain spoilers!)

I KNOW I'M LATE OUT!!! XD
But, y'know, life got in the way, however, now I have played it through. I'm not going to review it, just telling my likes and dislikes about it and theorizing on what the future might hold. ^^

First thing first... Vergil.
I like Vergil in DmC. He isn't a cold, calculated villain or some ancient, samurai warrior who lives by some codex of honour. He's human. Not in the literal sense, seeing as he is born a hybrid angel/demon child like his twin brother Dante, but he is human in the way he reacts, in the way he feels, his emotions, his thoughts, his personality. He lives by an ideal, that humans need a rightous and fair leader instead of the suppressing demonic regime Mundus leads... And Vergil thinks he could be the one to replace him. To lead the humans into better times, to guide them and be their leader.

As we all know (or at least most of us who actually played the game), Dante prevented him in seeing his dream come true. Yes, they freed humanity from the evil clutches of the demon king, but Dante is a freedom fighter! He fought to give the humans freedom, not to take over the throne. And thus he "betrayed" Vergil.

In Vergil's Downfall, we witness Vergil coming to terms with what happened. He is hurt, not just physically being on the point of death, but also emotionally and mentally. He trusted his newfound brother and gained a bond with him, he thought Dante would be by his side to lead mankind, but all that was taken from him and his dreams broke. It broke Vergil in every way. Physically, emotionally and mentally.

So what does he do? What can stop him from hurting like this?
From what I understood, Vergil fell into his own Limbo, into his own broken sanity and had to pick up the pieces. The way he does that is to "kill" those who broke him. And by doing so, slowly killing his own humanity. He takes control of himself... or does he? See, this is where I am a bit confused. Did he take control of his own powers... or did they take over him? Did he become demonic or just embrace his Nephilim self?

Either way, the demons confronts him in the end and bows to him. They found a new master to follow. And Vergil went along with it. But why would he do that? He hated demons so much in DmC. Well, I guess that is what happened when he got rid of his humanity. All he wants now is power and revenge, to kill the real Dante and the real Kat, taking what is rightfully his and become the new king of the world. That's what I got from the story anyways.

So, gameplay.
Vergil is ALOT faster than Dante, as he should be. I loved using his Angel side and summoning the swords while slashing through the demons was hella fun. But his Demon side was really slow, like REALLY slow. It felt like they were slower than Dante's Demon side, but don't hold me to that. I just hated using it. His dodge, however, was really useful. I liked Dante's Angel Dodge because he teleports away and Vergil does something alike, making hím be all over the battlefield, especially when using his Angel side.

All in all, I liked this DLC alot. It was, however, too short. 6 chapters? Well, I got it for free, seeing as I pre-ordered the game, so I guess I can't complain, however, it really made me want more.

Though it was beautifully made, the drawn cut-scenes annoyed me. It was good in the way it was made, I liked the style and it gave the DLC a darker feel to it... but I would rather have CGI cut-scenes instead, as the rest of DmC had. Why was this decision made? Why this sudden change of artstyle?

And the conclusion...
It was a good DLC. I am satisfied with it. And it made me want more, so I guess it served its purpose. Now I am holding out for a sequal. ^^

ChibiVerg

Vergil: Small and Cute.
I enjoyed the DLC myself!~ (well watching others play it.. as I don't own any consoles and I don't own the PC game T.T). Some of the cut scenes kinda make the comic appear (more) canon (I personally think the comics are canon on some level, however it's okay if others do not).

[SPOILER WARNING] Like maybe Vergil did care for Kat and now he regrets not doing more for her? Skip to 3:38

OR you can view it as "THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO SCREWED ME OVER, LETS KILL EM!"

Dante47

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I did as well.

Vergil has shown actual development as a character, and it doesn't feel forced.
It feels like the next evolutionary step in his life.
From his bitter feud with Dante and his unwillingness to accept that his brother is superior, Vergil seeks power, and the Hell he's in is so easily giving it to him, and driving him out of his wits.

In the end, he may be superior. Let's hope that means a tougher boss battle from him in the following games. :p

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I really liked how Vergil's character and personality is developed... I can relate to his internal struggle completely.
I am still left wondering what he is going to do, what is his purpose now... Let's hope he's not completely lost to his psychotic side! I'd like to see him developing further, hopefully facing his fears in a more... sane manner.

ReRave

smug jerk
Though it was beautifully made, the drawn cut-scenes annoyed me. It was good in the way it was made, I liked the style and it gave the DLC a darker feel to it... but I would rather have CGI cut-scenes instead, as the rest of DmC had. Why was this decision made? Why this sudden change of artstyle?

Drawings are cheaper than CGI. It's that simple. Unfortunately, one might add, because I really didn't like the cartoon style either.

Top Bottom