• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

RIP Terminal Reality :(

Dark Drakan

Admin
Agreed, Borderlands is taking the RPG route, not exactly like Deus Ex, but never the less, it's something different and in the right direction. Seems like Destiny is trying to do that too, again not in the Deus Ex way though.
But personally, I want FPSs to return to the more fast paced form, Titanfall seems to be preparing us for that, with it's jetpacks, twitch shooter gameplay and all, it spells for the perfect gameplay in a new Duke Nukem game.
There's no reason both of them can't exist though, it's just developers are focused on taking the easy way out.

Dont get me wrong I dont want to see something like Quake - Revenge of the Strogg and it being an emotional story of The Strogg seeking revenge :laugh:. I dont want them to replace the old school games as there is indeed room for both and I play both deep story RPG/shooters and standard run & gun FPS games. Im really interested in Destiny and its MMO style and like Borderlands as its a standard loot shooter but im more interested in both for the social aspect and the co-op. Story is being pushed as big point for Destiny but people dont play these titles for their story. TitanFall is the same as its multiplayer only and having story narrative woven into multiplayer games which is a fairly new idea and im glad they are trying something new too, however again story wont be its main selling point. Just think the games that do try to make story their selling point but rely on dated mechanics have been failing for years and need to look to games like Deus Ex for inspiration on gameplay mechanics and other franchise story driven games for story writing inspiration. Telltale cant hide behind fancy GFX, big set pieces and all the bravado & big budgets. Their story and game was laid bare for all to see and everything was stripped back to old school basics but done in ways that brought something new to an old genre and brought the emotion back to games that a lot have been missing for a long time. Also showed the big boys how to do episodic content (*cough* Valve im looking at you!)

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Dont get me wrong I dont want to see something like Quake - Revenge of the Strogg and it being an emotional story of The Strogg seeking revenge :laugh:. I dont want them to replace the old school games as there is indeed room for both and I play both deep story RPG/shooters and standard run & gun FPS games. Im really interested in Destiny and its MMO style and like Borderlands as its a standard loot shooter but im more interested in both for the social aspect and the co-op. Story is being pushed as big point for Destiny but people dont play these titles for their story, TitanFall is the same as its multiplayer only and having story narrative woven into multiplayer games. Fairly new idea and im glad they are trying something new too however again story wont be its main selling point. Just think the games that do try to make story their selling point but rely on dated mechanics have been failing for years and need to look to games like Deus Ex for inspiration.
Sadly, Quake is very likely to be dead, although Carmack said back in 2011 that he would like Quake to return and compete against modern military shooters by being nothing like them, I don't think it'll happen since he has left ID and they are struggling with Doom 4, it's very doubtful that we'll ever see Quake again. I doubt Doom 4 is even gonna be worth it.

Personally, I'm not that interested in Destiny, nothing about it really interests me to get it.
Speaking of Deus Ex, I have to play it again, it's been so long.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Sadly, Quake is very likely to be dead, although Carmack said back in 2011 that he would like Quake to return and compete against modern military shooters by being nothing like them, I don't think it'll happen since he has left ID and they are struggling with Doom 4, it's very doubtful that we'll ever see Quake again. I doubt Doom 4 is even gonna be worth it.

Personally, I'm not that interested in Destiny, nothing about it really interests me to get it.
Speaking of Deus Ex, I have to play it again, it's been so long.

Was merely an example, though Cliffy B has said that he wants to make an old school arena shooter on PC next so might be a new title in similar style on way. Doom was always the least interesting of the old school shooters to me, enjoyed it at the time but showed its age fast. I still have the original Deus Ex lying around that I purchased on release from a market for £10, to this day remains one of the best bargains I ever found. Really enjoyed Human Revolution though and looking forward to another and hope it comes soon. Destiny reminded me a little of Borderlands with the looter shooter style but then mixed it with tactical deep RPG style systems and great sounding co-op/social aspect so thats its main appeal to me. If they can pull it off well on all the consoles its being released on it will be a technical masterpiece.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Was merely an example, though Cliffy B has said that he wants to make an old school arena shooter on PC next so might be a new title in similar style on way. Doom was always the least interesting of the old school shooters to me, enjoyed it at the time but showed its age fast. I still have the original Deus Ex lying around that I purchased on release from a market for £10, to this day remains one of the best bargains I ever found. Really enjoyed Human Revolution though and looking forward to another and hope it comes soon. Destiny reminded me a little of Borderlands with the looter shooter style but then mixed it with tactical deep RPG style systems and great sounding co-op so thats its main appeal to me. If they can pull it off well on all the consoles its being released on it will be a technical masterpiece.
Cliffy B has said a lot of stuff, I think he's a bit of an idiot now. But if he's planning on making a successor to the Unreal shooters, then by all means.
That's the thing I love most about Borderlands is the looting system with it's countless guns, Destiny just seems to be a story focused tech demo to me, it reminds me too much of Halo and Mass Effect, I might try it out of curiosity one day, but I'm not excited for it.
But the idea I like most, is what Titanfall is doing, it bringing back the fast paced twitch shooter gameplay and the possibility of other developers taking that idea to the next level is what gets me happy, if another game can come along and bring the Deus Ex gameplay back then it'll be even better, even if that game is the next Deus Ex itself.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Cliffy B has said a lot of stuff, I think he's a bit of an idiot now. But if he's planning on making a successor to the Unreal shooters, then by all means.
That's the thing I love most about Borderlands is the looting system with it's countless guns, Destiny just seems to be a story focused tech demo to me, it reminds me too much of Halo and Mass Effect, I might try it out of curiosity one day, but I'm not excited for it.
But the idea I like most, is what Titanfall is doing, it bringing back the fast paced twitch shooter gameplay and the possibility of other developers taking that idea to the next level is what gets me happy, if another game can come along and bring the Deus Ex gameplay back then it'll be even better, even if that game is the next Deus Ex itself.

I can see the Mass Effect/Halo comparison as its does share looks and themes from both however they did create Marathon way back in the day too. Both Mass Effect & Halo were BIG sci-fi hits however its much more than a simple merger of the 2. Its almost got Borderlands mixed in too with its co-op and loot/gun customization system and the in depth back story of the races of Halo & Mass Effect with similar abilities to those seen in Mass Effect. The massive world co-op idea does sound sort of tech demo like as its a pretty new concept but all of the other mechanics are tried and tested systems and Bungie are great at crafting shooters. I applaud both Bungie and Respawn for trying something new and thinking outside of the box than their usual ideas. Bungie could have quite easily just kept accepting Microsofts cash and churning out Halo sequels for many more years but they wanted a different challenge. I mean you can add fire to your guns... who doesnt like the sound of that?

Destiny_42.jpg

Dark Drakan

Admin
4. Yea he was a bit too harsh & I see you're more open minded with different genre but can you blame him & others when genres like horror become C.O.D, or action adventure becomes point & click?

Agree on most points about open worlds, removing linear paths and expanding Customization, character creation, dialog choices & free roaming options. Horror games have pretty much been dead for years (with odd exception), far to many have followed movies into thinking horror means explosions, throwing countless amounts of grotesque enemies at players & upping gore rather than using atmosphere, suspense and well written dialogue. There has always been a blurred line between adventure games and point and click and they can work together to an extent, one will never replace the other. Partly gamers fault more developers have started to turn their games into CoD as gamers seem to flock to titles like that over other styles of game.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Look at QTEs
How that has nearly replaced the hands on approach to gameplay.

Yes but think about why.
It could be because C.O.D's genre is constant.

C.O.D isn't horror becoming action adventure, or action adventure becoming dramatic storytelling.
It's constant to it's genre.

QTE's are normally used in instances where they just cant think of another system where they can have cinematic experience and action in the same sequence (those with smaller budgets). Should never take control away from a player and make them feel they are watching a game rather than playing it. Some developers are lazy and use them as an easy way out however.

I think The Wolf Among Us had good middle ground, it did have QTE's in some fight scenes but you could pick which attack you used and where you next pushed/threw your opponent and what you hit them with etc and the choices in the scenes caused them to play out differently. I mean games like that just cant be action games as it isnt the genre but the QTE's did feel like you were controlling them and felt like you were choreographing a fight scene. If they absolutely HAVE to be used then I would rather have it this way as, as a rule I despise QTE's.

Its because CoD sells by the bucket load and more companies want a piece of that sales pie so they are trying to turn their titles INTO CoD in the hope that those same fans might lap their title up too. However its recently been reported that the sales decline of CoD Ghosts has been worrying so maybe we will see a shift soon. CoD isnt even one of the most googled terms of 2013 and for a game that in previous years was breaking all sales records thats a huge sign.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Agreed!
And that's happening far too much.
Sorry to keep bring it up but Beyond2Souls is a perfect example of QTEs gone wrong.
Just from playing the demo i could see things wrong.
I haven't seen a game like that where events, tense situations literally waited for you to progress.
Police chasing you in the woods will not catch you if you stop & stand before reaching the next progression mark.
How is that not harmful to gameplay.
And more games are doing things like this in the name of story.

2. No, i meant why do gamers flock to C.O.D
t could be because C.O.D's genre is constant.
Why do gamers flock to FFIA, to WWE games, to games like that that hasn't changed it's core since day1, same games different additions.
And they still sell. On the U.K charts FIFA 14 took number 1 from GTAV while GTAV stay on top for only a week straight.

Not played Beyond2Souls so cant put an opinion forward on it but sounds like they would get tedious.

Those games, FIFA, WWE, C.O.D, JUST DANCE, GRAN TURISMO 6, FORZA MOTORSPORT, etc & so-on
remain constant to their genre by revamping themselves not by relocating to a different genre.
WWE games just like the television show has been nothing but wrestling at it's core & both are still popular because it's fresh, not by turning into a horror reality tv show.
Change is fine, but when it involves relocating to a different genre then that's where longtime fans have a problem.
And it's difficult to remain with that title when it's relocated.

The point is something fresh helps but relocating to a different genre isn't necessary.
Final Fantasy doesn't have to become resident evil, TombRaider doesn't have to become GTA, GTA doesn't have to become Killzone.
I mean seriously if everyone on this & every other forum can pull brilliant ideas for keeping titles fresh within their own genre, they why can't the development minds behind the games they make do that.

Not much that can be changed in sports games to take them away from their core mechanics, the latest WWE & FIFA games are vastly different than older games with the in game systems but obviously the actual mechanics are very similar. Hard to play the latest version and then 'go back' and play earlier ones with less features and systems that feel stripped back. Biggest change in sports game I played was when they added a story mode to Fight Night series with Fight Night Champion and I really enjoyed it (felt like they took a risk). However beyond this they cant relocate to different genres as base mechanics must always remain, much more freedom for other developers in different genres to experiment.

No company would change the core mechanics of their games without good reason and usually its gamers that cause these drastic switches and the way they spend their money. Gamers must vote with their wallets and with social media being so huge these days its never been easier to speak to developers through things like Twitter to voice opinion.

Dark Drakan

Admin
What i don't understand is how can developers be so willing to sellout & turn their back on that genre a title started with just for a quick buck all in the name of we're gamers too.

I understand it's a business but developers could stop the BS politics.
Don't tell us we listen to the gamers then do something of the opposite, because if developers were listening we'd have new a Megaman title or RivalSchools.

I believe developers are so wrapped up in business they're not understanding the gamers that have shown support throughout the years & losing gamers because they're butchering fan favs by dabbling in genres they know nothing about.

Think thats why I have started paying attention to more indie developers and those developers who show that they do things out of passion for what they do rather than to make a quick buck. Good example is Assassins Creed, what started as a really promising franchise has been essentially killed by publishers/developers leeching it for cash. Its still selling well currently but if they carry on at the rate they are going it will have the CoD effect and sales will start to decline fast after release. Though CoD issue is the publishers rather than the developers themselves as its them that pushes developers into pumping them out every year and if they dont they find another studio to do it (or multiple to hit deadlines). Some titles need to go back to their roots and stop churning new titles out purely to up a companies quarterly profits.

There are far to many franchises that have been turned into businesses instead of being passionate games developers. Managed by suits who have no passion for the games industry just using it for money. They are turning companies into those businesses obsessed with quarterly profit predictions, deadlines and churning out paid for DLC to keep cash coming in all year round. Instead of concentrating on the enjoyment of gamers and their own enjoyment of their product. Developers are businesses and need to make money but if you create a game people enjoy and you have enjoyed created then the profits will come without the aggressive business route they are going down.

Guess on the other hand games are getting bigger and bigger budgets due to investments by some big companies/publishers and they will want to see a return on that investment and fast. So for the big blockbusters they wouldnt have that budget in first place without big publishers and they in turn have to give up some control so those investors can make sure their cash is put to good use. More and more developers are relinquishing creative control to those funding them and then series are heading down paths the developers didnt originally want. Or in some cases being shackled from pushing themselves too far outside of the safe zone and taking any risks. However when you sell your soul to the devil you cant really expect to have a say in what happens to it.

Top Bottom