• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

RIP Terminal Reality :(

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/bloodrayne-dev-terminal-reality-quietly-closes-its-doors/

Terminal Reality, the company best known for creating the Bloodrayne franchise has closed it's doors. :(

This f**king sucks, I really liked Terminal Reality and I heard a while ago that TR was actually going to buy back the Bloodrayne IP, deny Uwe Boll from ever touching the IP again and then make more Bloodrayne games.

Sadly that'll never happen now :(

I bet this is all thanks to those a**holes at Activision forcing them to take the heat for that awful Walking Dead Survival Instinct.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Always a shame when developers are forced to close their doors, heres hoping they get jobs with other development studios.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I bet the only thing you know them for is Bloodrayne because I don't think you'd be interested in Nocturne seeing how you hate point and click story driven adventure games.

The best Bloodrayne game anyway is Betrayal developed by WayForward.

The first two were pretty crappy middle of the road hack n slashers. Betrayal took Rayne to the Metroidvania genre and it found itself a nice home there. Fantastic homage to oldschool Castlevania games. Betrayal looked beautiful, played beautifully, and was very difficult and challenging. Just how these kinds of games should be.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
I bet the only thing you know them for is Bloodrayne because I don't think you'd be interested in Nocturne seeing how you hate point and click story driven adventure games.

The best Bloodrayne game anyway is Betrayal developed by WayForward.

The first two were pretty crappy middle of the road hack n slashers. Betrayal took Rayne to the Metroidvania genre and it found itself a nice home there. Fantastic homage to oldschool Castlevania games. Betrayal looked beautiful, played beautifully, and was very difficult and challenging. Just how these kinds of games should be.

Nope, you're wrong again.
I've played both Bloodrayne games and loved them, first one was better though. (I can't say anything about Betrayal because for some dumba** reason it's not available down here and I can't play it, but I really want to.)
I've also played both their Monster Truck Madness games, if anyone hasn't played them, you're not a gamer, period.
Also I played the f**king awesome Terminal Velocity.
I could give a f**k less about Nocturne, but at least Terminal Reality made an original Point & Click unlike the other s**ty, overrated, unoriginal leech company that you and everyone loves to kiss the a** of.

Terminal Reality was a middle market developer that tried so hard and they ended up making all kinds of games that were actually good, they even made a video game version of that awful movie Æon Flux and the game was actually pretty good, they even made the good Ghost Busters game.
If they were given the freedom and time with their Walking Game instead of being forced to rush by Activision, we'd actually have a Walking Dead game that is actually good.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
We do have a Walking Dead game that's actually good. TellTale actually understands The Walking Dead franchise. A run and gun zombie shoot em up misses the entire point of The Walking Dead. Plus Left 4 Dead 2 is still out there and still a lot of fun to play if you want that.

Not my fault the only form of entertainment you're interested appeals to that lowest common denominator with the mindset that you need an explosion every 5 minutes and a character like Duke Nukem just to pay attention.

The Walking Dead isn't about killing zombies. It's about the human element and life after the apocalypse. I've been reading the comics since they came out and also have seen every episode of the show. If you're gonna make a game about The Walking Dead then you do what TellTale. If you just run around and kill zombies then it's not a Walking Dead game.

Don't make excuses for why their Walking Dead game was sh!t. There was a lot wrong with that game however to be fair it did have some good ideas. Overall still just completely sh!t and another drop in the bucket for sh!tty licensed games.

Sorry people are out of jobs but, they weren't very good developers. The best thing they are know for was Bloodrayne which was never that great in the first place. The side scrolling Betrayal is the best game in that series period.

And well I do admit enjoying the Ghostbusters game but that's basically because Ghostbusters is one of my favorite movies of all time.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Not my fault the only form of entertainment you're interested appeals to that lowest common denominator with the mindset that you need an explosion every 5 minutes and a character like Duke Nukem just to pay attention.
It is your fault for constantly thinking that all I want is explosions and s**t, do you even listen to me?
I don't know how many times I've repeated myself to you on that matter. I may as well make something I can copy & paste so it'll hopefully finally get through your thick skull -_-

The Walking Dead games are s**t, Telltale's games are s**t, their writing and stories may be good which yeah I agree, suits the Walking Dead franchise, but if that's all they're good at then they may as well just make CG movies, because they can't develop a game for s**t, The Walking Dead was poorly optimized when I played it, filled with bugs, texture pop ins, framerate drops and IMO the voice acting was rather crap and don't even get me started on their Jurassic Park travesty.
It's like 120 of Telltales 125 employees are writers and the other 5 are developing the games.

Terminal Reality was a WAY better developer than Telltale.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The second I saw Activision, I already knew what to expect.

They were responsible for closing Radical Entertainment and therefore; no more [PROTOTYPE] a game that actually COULD be be more popular then Activision thinks, but instead they chose to put more investments in their Call Of Duty, and little into the other games that could make a lot of money, but they don't bother to give it the right attention it needs.

[PROTOTYPE] was a great game with an awesome achievement of just destroying things while also having a stealth aspect to it. It was dubbed "Assassin's Creed on steroids". Because you play as a hooded character who sneaks into bases and finds out information, however you also have the chance to literally destroy things and slaughter army men along with regular people with giant weapons and attacks. [PROTOTYPE] is the dream game for those craving carnage action and over the top destruction with super powers.

But Activision decided to be d*cks and just forget about it.

R.I.P [PROTOTYPE]

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
If they're better than TellTale then why is Terminal Reality out of business? :shifty:

That only happens when the games you make are basically consecutive failures.

TellTale is good at what they do and the gamers who play them like what they do.

And it doesn't matter how many times you say you're not basically the Michael Bay hound. Every chance you get you ALWAYS bash any other game that tries to be a little more brain stimulating than a Duke Nukem game. Acting like a game that tries to tell good stories with well developed characters and worlds makes it somehow less of a experience and that's horsesh!t. If anything it makes it more worth while.

I'm not saying that that's all I want, I'm just saying that it's nice to see gaming come so far where they can find that balance and definitely be more than just a mindless video game. It's probably because I come from the circle that views video games as an art form and also likes all different types.

I can enjoy some mindless fun like Doom but, I can also fall in love with games like Journey and Shadow of The Colossus.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
it's not a good story with well-developed characters it's just games trying to be movies and failing hurr hurr

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
If they're better than TellTale then why is Terminal Reality out of business? :shifty:
Because of Activision, duh! Lets see Telltale go up against them.

TellTale is good at what they do and the gamers who play them like what they do.
Telltale is still here because they're the Allen Harper of video game companies. Call me when they take a risk.

And it doesn't matter how many times you say you're not basically the Michael Bay hound. Every chance you get you ALWAYS bash any other game that tries to be a little more brain stimulating than a Duke Nukem game. Acting like a game that tries to tell good stories with well developed characters and worlds makes it somehow less of a experience and that's horsesh!t. If anything it makes it more worth while.
No again -_- Don't you remember when I said "Old School Shooter does not mean throwing countless enemies at you"? I'm trying to get developers to figure that out so FPS games can be good again.
Flying Wild Hog got the closest, but they still made the same mistake.

You wanna know the funny thing?
A while ago you said I only like games that have pop up book kind of stories, when in fact that's you and the majority of gaming.
Games these days and Telltale games throw the story right up in your face and no thinking is required, SAME as modern gameplay.
The kind of stories I LIKE in games are the stories that are told through equal or better gameplay and actually require you to use your brain, like I said on the last thread I loved the stories in games like Quake, Borderlands etc, in Quake, Doom, Duke3D and Shadow Warrior 97, the story was told through the level design and GAMEPLAY, once you figured it out, it was very rewarding. That's part of what made those games so great. There were LOADS of games during the PS2 era that told even more great and compelling stories that had equally great gameplay, Jak and Daxter had a bit more of a in your face kind of story, but the gameplay was still very awesome and made me wanna keep on playing and experience the story more.
But games these days like Tomb Raider, DmC, everything from Telltale and more have gotten to the point which they treat the player like a f**king moron.
We're even getting to games that have little to NO gameplay like Beyond Two Souls.
This is the worst kind of evolution.

I'm not saying that that's all I want, I'm just saying that it's nice to see gaming come so far where they can find that balance and definitely be more than just a mindless video game. It's probably because I come from the circle that views video games as an art form and also likes all different types.
Video games becoming an art form is fine, but when they're all trying to be art, none of them will be.

As I've said a dozen times to you, I can appreciate good stories in games, games like Primal, Metal Gear Solid, SiN Emergence, Halo, Resident Evil etc, but games that get acclaimed for throwing the stories in your face and having crappy streamlined gameplay while causing other developers to follow suit with their franchises is what ****es me off.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Is this another rant about "video games should be more about gameplay and less about story", cause I think we've heard it for the 1000 time this year.
:facepalm::banghead:

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Is this another rant about "video games should be more about gameplay and less about story", cause I think we've heard it for the 1000 time this year.
:facepalm::banghead:
Don't blame me, blame Chancy for bringing it up again. -_-

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Because of Activision, duh! Lets see Telltale go up against them.
:banghead:

You don't go under for just ONE crappy Walking Dead video game published by Activision. They have a lot of other games under their belt that are still just as bad and failures without Activision even being a part of it. In fact, Survival Instinct is their ONLY game that's published by them.

Terminal Reality is also responsible for this sh!t and it speaks for itself.

Like I said, they had consecutive failures and that's why they're done.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The BloodRayne Betrayal is an insult to BloodRayne itself.
I tried the demo & i'm glad i did so i'd never by it, they should've never made a BloodRayne title like that. It was horrible to see.
You're crazy. Betrayal is the best in the series period. It looks great, plays great, and is challenging as f#ck. Just like those games are supposed to be. A fantastic homage to those old school MetroidVania type games and is actually a well put together game.

What are the other 2? Repetitive and shallow hack n slashers suffering from lack of polish and riddled with stiff animations and a clunky battle system. The trampy dressing vampires aren't some kind of saving grace for the game. I can just go look up some rule 34 of Rayne if that's all I'd want out of it.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Unlike the other s**ty, overrated, unoriginal leech company that you and everyone loves to kiss the a** of.

If they were given the freedom and time with their Walking Game instead of being forced to rush by Activision, we'd actually have a Walking Dead game that is actually good.

Gamers seemed to enjoy it 9.2 average (sold 8.5 million individual episodes by end of 2012) and has been praised for revitalising the adventure genre. Not to mention winning over 90 "Game of the Year" awards so technically we do have a good Walking Dead title, along with being voted studio of the year (and praised by developers across the board).

The Walking Dead games are s**t, Telltale's games are s**t, their writing and stories may be good which yeah I agree, suits the Walking Dead franchise, but if that's all they're good at then they may as well just make CG movies, because they can't develop a game for s**t, The Walking Dead was poorly optimized when I played it, filled with bugs, texture pop ins, framerate drops and IMO the voice acting was rather crap and don't even get me started on their Jurassic Park travesty.
It's like 120 of Telltales 125 employees are writers and the other 5 are developing the games.

Terminal Reality was a WAY better developer than Telltale.

Lots 0f opinion being voiced as fact right here, yeah there are a couple of technical hiccups here and there but nothing at all game breaking. Some great writing, voice acting was damn good (dont know how much you played). Yeah Jurassic Park was slated worldwide seemingly and Back to The Future werent great either but both The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us were VERY positively received by gamers/reviewers and critics alike. Still they arent a big studio with a big publisher backing so they only have the budget of an indie studio so that limits their technical aspects somewhat.

Telltale is still here because they're the Allen Harper of video game companies. Call me when they take a risk.

Games these days and Telltale games throw the story right up in your face and no thinking is required, SAME as modern gameplay.

The kind of stories I LIKE in games are the stories that are told through equal or better gameplay and actually require you to use your brain, like I said on the last thread I loved the stories in games like Quake, Borderlands etc, in Quake, Doom, Duke3D and Shadow Warrior 97, the story was told through the level design and GAMEPLAY, once you figured it out, it was very rewarding. That's part of what made those games so great. There were LOADS of games during the PS2 era that told even more great and compelling stories that had equally great gameplay, Jak and Daxter had a bit more of a in your face kind of story, but the gameplay was still very awesome and made me wanna keep on playing and experience the story more.
But games these days like Tomb Raider, DmC, everything from Telltale and more have gotten to the point which they treat the player like a f**king moron.

They are actually being referred to as the HBO of gaming because they are bringing peoples favourite comics/books etc to life into the gaming world and gamers are loving it.

You are praising games like Quake/Borderlands/Doom and Duke and using the word 'story' in the same sentence. There is no story aspects just moving from one AI enemy to the next while progression is handed to you in way of more powerful weaponry to dispatch enemies with. Im a big FPS fan but they arent a genre that requires much thought and most involve mindless shooting from level to level. There is no consequence or repercussions for your actions in most FPS titles and no emotion involved in the majority unless they do put story before the need to simple kill hundreds of faceless, personality-less AI enemies. No point comparing their style to FPS games anyway as they are a million miles apart in the gaming world and arent there to compete with them, they offer a different take.

Telltale I felt didnt treat you like an idiot, they made the choices yours to make and you had to live with the consequences of those choices. They even follow you into the sequel, anyone who dies in first game is gone and they are gone for good so you really have to think outside the box for the consequences of your actions. Now this IS evolution and making emotion a part of the experience and involving you in the telling of the games story. Its not being pushed in your face its telling a story to you and how it plays out is down to you. Not about huge action sequences or explosions/gun fights its about the experience as a whole and I personally welcome that change.

I mean I get its not your thing and your entitled to your opinion but seems a little patronising to be calling them **** developers who dont take risks. They took a huge risk taking on a well loved comic/TV series and by going for a genre that isnt as popular as your standard FPS games and it often seems the easy way out opting to go for the FPS genre for some licenses. Also using a child as the main character in such a dark world in Season 2 might be seen by some to be taking a huge risk. They are the first developers in a very long time to make me genuinely care about what happens to the characters and for me thats a big deal.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The Walking Dead was one of those few games that gave me feels.

The last one before that was probably Red Dead Redemption. That ending was a bummer. I know people who cried.

Top Bottom