• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Relatively unpopular opinions about any and everything

DarkSlayerVergil

@berto While my feelings for DmC have changed game play wise (the story I think is still bad and takes itself way too seriously) in the DE version, I still prefer 4 over it. DmC did have the best platforming, pacing, level design (though that falters once you get all of the collectibles, as that point each level is just a straight line), and accessibility compared to 4. Where it falters is being a lesser version of 4 and Bayonetta in terms of combat. I love the demon dodge, but it's just NT's version of Witch Time, and DmCDante was just a weird combination of Nero, Dante, and sometimes felt like a male Bayonetta. Ironic, because Tameem had clear dislike for the OG games and Bayonetta, so them aping features from them made the team all the more hypocritical. Despite DmC's flaws, it still better than most Western hack n slasher/brawlers such as Conan, Deadpool, Wolverine, Dante's Inferno, and Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.

Metal Gear Rising > Ninja Gaiden 1-3 (RE) .
Revenge of Shinobi & Shinobi III > Ninja Gaiden NES Trilogy
Onechanbara Z & Z2 > Lollipop Chainsaw

Evil Within 1 & 2 I enjoy more than RE4.
When did Tameen ever say he disliked the OG series and Bayonetta(Its not hypocritical to take ideas from something you dislike)? Also if you enjoyed Evil within more than RE4 more power to you, I just felt like Evil Within couldn't made up it's mind.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
When did Tameen ever say he disliked the OG series and Bayonetta(Its not hypocritical to take ideas from something you dislike)? Also if you enjoyed Evil within more than RE4 more power to you, I just felt like Evil Within couldn't made up it's mind.

Tameem made it pretty clear in all of the old PR disasters that he was not fond of Dante and the original series despite taking many ideas from it. Nor did Ninja Theory as a whole have much respect for the series either.

The video will automatically start a t 10:20 to see my point.

Bayonetta I misremembered as he did give it some praise, but he still comes off as hypocritical and insincere when you take features from the original series or the competitor (a spiritual successor to Devil May Cry) and don't do anything much better gameplay or story wise. For the record, I like Demon Dodge despite it being overpowered in the vanilla version. There was still a risk reward system to it.

I still enjoy RE4, but I hate the insta death QTEs. Not the worse (RE6), but definitely frustrating even when you have them memorized. Plus, the game drags at a certain point.

I admit that Evil Within 2 does this better than EW1. EW2 I consider the RE2 of its franchise. Better story, gameplay, and writing.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm interested in a potential third take on DMC in the Adi Shankar project. Neither DMC4 or DmC did a good job pushing the series forward. I just felt they were squandered potential/missed opportunities/mixed bags etc.

Captain Xin

Games on Iphone/Android can be super fun and addicting, just because there's Unity created asset flips doesn't mean everything on google play are asset flips.

The entire "gaming news youtuber" trend is awful. And Jim sterling is the worst self-patting proof of that.

Most of the Taiwanese movies are bad, the actings are bad, the visual effect pathetic, and the scrips are either pretentious nonsense or needless swearing for swearing sake.

Noah antwiler wasn't even that great to begin with. Just another obnoxious AVGN pretender that managed to gather money on patreon.

Oh, and I prefer Xbox to playstation. And I never got the hype around The Last of Us.

Can't wait to lose my Internet reputation I guess...XD

berto

I Saw the Devil
Here's mine.

I hate what DMC has turned into. I don't like DMC4, I don't like DmC and I don't like DMC5.

It hit me a few after the DMC5 announcement. I was looking at a Spanish translation for the 2nd drama CD and there was this scene where everyone was at the office and Patty sees the photo of Eva, looks at Trish, then turns to Dante and asks him if he has an Oedipus complex. Everyone starts laughing at him and Dante just sits there and sulks, telling everyone to shut up. I don't know why but in that moment something clicked. It was like something I sensed in the back of my mind but was always vague and undefined, but, suddenly, it had become clear to me. I don't want to say denial but that might not be too far off. I just realized it then and there: I hated what DMC had become.

This was just not the Dante I fell in love with. This man was an embarrassment, a pushover. I don't care that people laughed at him but the way he just sat there mopping and basically boohooing because he's getting picked at. The Dante that I admired was energetic, confident, self assured. If someone mocked him he'd either rolled with it or rebuttaled; he wouldn't have sat there and moped about it. This man lacked all the traits I admire about him.

4 was no better, who he was there was no better. Aside from being treated by the woman whose soul he saved and the one whose mother he avenged, like he was some dead beat, which he was, getting him to move was like pulling teeth, he was also just not passionate, or, at least, energetic These women who owe him so much, at best push him around and at worst treat him like he's an embarrassment. Both actually call him as pathetic in the anime. I don't expect them to worship him, that'd be just as bad, but this wasn't the kind of relationship that should've flushed from those persona histories and it reflected on Dante more than them.

It wasn't just Dante, either. I thought about everything I loved about the series and I realized that none of that was there, anymore. That atmosphere was gone, this no longer had anything remotely resembling horror, Nero is the new lead, the whole thing had become very colorful, the whole thing has become ludicrous and the demons all looked like they belonged on a different game, and that's not to mention the gameplay elements or that can of worms that would be DmC.

Over the years I made excuses for it all. Anime, different people, just an interpretation. 4, time and budget constraints. DmC, not the same game. I hoped it'd was all passive and I thought maybe 5 would cure that feeling but when the game came out it was just more of 4 with better graphics and I got pretty dissolution (5 is another long list of issues that could fill an entire page so let's not go there).

I stuck with the series this long because I always hoped to get something much closer to what 1 was but when I played 5 I realized that that's never going to happen. What the series is now is what it will be from now on and that hope for that old thing was never going to happen. The closest thing I got was playing as Dante in Viewtiful Joe for something closer to what he felt like once or that REmake HD for that atmosphere and presence. I haven't liked any DMC release since 3. That was a long time ago.

One thing that struck me in this little epiphany of mine. Another thought I think I ignored and sort of refused to accept even though it was always on the back of my head, vague as it was, was that I think the worst thing to happen to Dante is that they overpowered him. In 1 he was supposed to be incredibly powerful, sure, but he was impaled 3 times, electrocuted 3, drowned, strangled, lit on fire, had his life drained and beat up once or twice. in 3, impaled in 2 locations, sliced, stabbed, shot in the face, soul drained, punched to the ground, and beaten up a few times. That no longer happens, hes untouchable now, completely and effortlessly so, and I think might be my fault and the fault of the fanbase, in general, because we demanded it to be like that and we got what we wanted for it.

Just about everyone else, everywhere else, is completely in love with what 5 is. That one gaming brit guy made a whole hour video drooling on how everything about it was perfect. He isn't the only one. People are ecstatic and because of it this is the route the series will take from now on. Because of that I've all but tapped out. People like it and what right do I have to tell them not to, that's fine, but it seems like for someone like me, there is nothing left. Doesn't really matter, I'm just the one person and the series will thrive quite without me. Very likely won't notice my absence, either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
@berto I never knew about the audio drama. F#ck Patty, I never liker her any way. Dante hanging up on her in 5 is karmic retribution as far as I am concerned. From what you described makes everyone more out of character than the anime. This is why people tend to ignore the anime and I can't blame them. And I though the show was just okay.

While I miss the horror atmosphere that was in 1, it's loss is not a huge deal for me. My love for 5 may be high, there are issues and flaws I can't ignore. How style points work is very stupid and cryptic, V is lacking some extra melee moves and should've had Phantom as a summon, and changing how Heaven and Hell & Hell and Hell for no reason. Dante Must Die has the enemies as huge damage sponges like 3, but now the bosses get a major defense boost making them more drawn out and tedious to fight. There also a lack of costumes unless you have mods on the PC version.

GamingBrit I've started to like less and less, but I have not dropped him completely. He's kn h own for flip-flopping his opinions and becoming more like those he despises in gaming journalism. GB is not the only one to do so on. See his opinions DmC, Last of Us, and Killer Is Dead to what his opinions were when they first came out and how is opinion changed in later videos either out of convience or to seem smarter than he is. Plus, he is just another DMC fanboy with a loud mouth. Also, games like God of War 4 aren't killing the gaming industry like you and others on YouTube are claiming you spoiled twat.

@Captain Xin I'd say Jim Sterling is not the worse. That goes to people like ReviewTechUSA, The Quartering, Downward Thrust, and Cleanpricegaming. Jim Sterling I have my disagreements with sometimes, but at least he admits his mistakes and tries. The others I mentioned either changed their show just to get more views, constantly lie or make **** up, or are so out of touch with reality that roundhouse kicking them would do nothing. but made them think they are Gods gift to mankind.

Captain Xin

Come to think of it, I don't think Jim's the worst, guess I was pretty eager to find a scapegoat for the trend at the moment.@@

I think my real gripe about these "gaming youtuber" is that they almost always tend to stand by the most "trendy" bias... You just can't win with these guys. Even when they're objectively wrong, they'll find another way to bend what's happening to their narrative.

Oh, but I really hate that overused self-patting quote from Jim.

Thank god for you!? You didn't do ****!
@berto I never knew about the audio drama. F#ck Patty, I never liker her any way. Dante hanging up on her in 5 is karmic retribution as far as I am concerned. From what you described makes everyone more out of character than the anime. This is why people tend to ignore the anime and I can't blame them. And I though the show was just okay.

While I miss the horror atmosphere that was in 1, it's loss is not a huge deal for me. My love for 5 may be high, there are issues and flaws I can't ignore. How style points work is very stupid and cryptic, V is lacking some extra melee moves and should've had Phantom as a summon, and changing how Heaven and Hell & Hell and Hell for no reason. Dante Must Die has the enemies as huge damage sponges like 3, but now the bosses get a major defense boost making them more drawn out and tedious to fight. There also a lack of costumes unless you have mods on the PC version.

GamingBrit I've started to like less and less, but I have not dropped him completely. He's kn h own for flip-flopping his opinions and becoming more like those he despises in gaming journalism. GB is not the only one to do so on. See his opinions DmC, Last of Us, and Killer Is Dead to what his opinions were when they first came out and how is opinion changed in later videos either out of convience or to seem smarter than he is. Plus, he is just another DMC fanboy with a loud mouth. Also, games like God of War 4 aren't killing the gaming industry like you and others on YouTube are claiming you spoiled twat.

@Captain Xin I'd say Jim Sterling is not the worse. That goes to people like ReviewTechUSA, The Quartering, Downward Thrust, and Cleanpricegaming. Jim Sterling I have my disagreements with sometimes, but at least he admits his mistakes and tries. The others I mentioned either changed their show just to get more views, constantly lie or make **** up, or are so out of touch with reality that roundhouse kicking them would do nothing. but made them think they are Gods gift to mankind.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Here's another wave of unpopular opinions:

• Endgame isn't that good of a movie. It's really just three hours of plotholes and uninteresting situations to someone who stopped caring about the MCU. The third act is the only thing worth the 20+ bucks ticket admission.
  • DMC5 is a good game, but doesn't give me the feeling that I'm playing a Devil May Cry game at all.
  • Dante has become a pathetic bum as of late and that makes me feel like Nero really SHOULD take over.
  • Shazam>>>>>>>>>>>>>Endgame
  • Captain Marvel>>>>>>>Endgame
  • this is the hundredth school shooting in America and the Government will never do anything about it because they don't care.
  • It Chapter 1 wasn't that scary.
  • I actually could've gotten use to Sonic's live action look.
  • KH3 was a disappointment storywise.
  • Superman is still a more compelling character then Batman
  • Batman is overrated
  • I actually don't dislike Supergirl that much. I'm more indifferent to its themes of feminism, lgbt representation, and obvious man-hating scenarios.
  • Dark Phoenix looks good.

tehrugger

Banned
The Switch's game library f**king sucks.

The console has been out for over 2 years. Why can't developers get off their lazy asses and give it some worthwhile exclusives instead of just ports, ports, ports?!!!

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I liked Detective Pikachu more than EndGame

EndGame's final battle would've benefitted a lot more (warning spoilers) if only the named heroes showed up and not their entire armies. Maybe only a couple Wakandan troops, maybe only a couple wizards (okay a lot of wizards they seem to be the most valuable assets), maybe only a few Asgardians, maybe only the Ravengers and a couple Nova corps (or none weren't that all wiped out by Thanos in IW...but knowing Thanos only half was) . They honestly didn't need that many people nor does it made any sense they could rally all those forces in mere minutes even with Strange's teleportation powers unless Strange planned this all out and knew exactly where to look and even then drastically reducing the numbers would make the action far easier to follow and allow most of the heroes to do something rather than Black Panther and SpiderMan play football with the gauntlet and Dr.Strange holds down a GODDAMN DAM the entire fight (hahahaha like literally he had arguably the best one on one fight in IW with Thanos and has to spend the entire third act stopping water that honestly wouldn't be a hindrance if it flowed at all).
The Time Travel in EndGame is the most convoluted time travel I've seen since Final Fantasy 13-2 and that one made no sense at all.

So many people feel that the MCU is over (or should be) with EndGame. I thought it was great conclusion for IronMan, Captain America, and this Infinity Stone Saga but the stuff it sets up with the after effects of the snap, 5 year time jump, a potential Atlantis, the fact the stones are gone (some pretty bad news for Dr.Strange since he can no longer do that time loop trick on Dormammu again), creating multiple timelines/dimensions, and the future inclusion of Fox properties like Deadpool, Dr. Doom (and people think there won't be a better MCU villain than Thanos.....shiiiiieeeetttt), the Fantastic Four, and the mutants (probably last down the line). The party is only starting to get crazy.

Marvel should've gotten a director from Asia or at least one well versed in action/martial arts films to direct Shang-Chi. Destin Daniel Cretton doesn't have a single action movie under his belt. One department Warner Bros/DC beats Marvel/Disney at is picking more competent/talented directors. Outside the Russos, Watiti, Coogler, and Gunn the rest are pretty mediocre....well there was Shane Black but he was honestly hindered by Marvel and Wright left half way through AntMan....I find Joss Whedon to be massively overrated. Jon Favreau is okay. Honestly the saving grace of the MCU are really the writers.

And the 4 I listed aren't perfect either. Gunn when left unchecked can make bizarre decisions that can ruin pacing and tone which is why I find GotG Vol 1 far more cohesive and better put together than Vol 2. Watiti's humor can be too overbearing at times and he only made 1 good Thor movie. Coogler is still new to this big blockbuster movie thing and works better indie and thus makes rather bizarre decisions or does stuff he thinks is clever but flies straight over a lot of people's heads because most people don't think that deeply about movies about dudes in skin tight suits beating the crap out of other dudes in skin tight suits. Oh and the Russos. Don't get me started on them.

After seeing CW, IW, and especially EndGame I'm starting to think the Russo Brothers weren't as talented as we think they are and either got lucky with Winter Soldier or that Marvel was giving them too much to work with in their last 3 projects. They really don't have a distinct style or voice like the other 3. Their style of filmography is just a mish mash of different styles to suit the moment. You can watch WS, CW, IW, and EndGame and feel that different people made these movies...or a computer compiled all effective film making techniques to make something that works. Well they all have the same washed out color palette. These guys are basically chameleon directors. They could probably direct all the Marvel movies and no one would notice.

I feel the writers Markus and McFeely should be given more credit especially since they were on all the movies Russo Brothers directed.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
RE2make hasn't "replaced" the original RE2 for me. It's a great game and all, really enjoy it, well made, but the attention to details and the original atmos of RE2 haven't been met. I know every time I crank up the remake I'll go right back after to play RE2 to get something the remake doesn't give.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'm not a fan of Alastor or Agni & Rudra's design. Alastor looks too cartoonish even for DMC and A&R are so wide they look more like paddles than swords.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
@Foxtrot94 At least A&R have colors. The same can't be said to Gilgamesh and Lucifer with the generic gunmetal grey. Gilgamesh just felt like a weaker version of Beowulf, and Lucifer I barely ever used. I got more use out of Nevan, and I don't like how it controls.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
At least A&R have colors.

Doesn't solve the problem for me. Color doesn't change the fact that they look like you should take them to sail a boat rather than a fight, and I actually would have liked tamer tonalities. Still keep the orange and blue, but not as accentuated, let the fire and wind effects be the only major source of color.
In general when it comes to sword-like weapons, I don't like them too colorful or too oddly/cartoony shaped, which is why my favorite swords in the franchise are DMC5 Rebellion, Force Edge and Yamato.

As for Gilgamesh, it could indeed have used brighter effects on its glowing parts. Although to be honest, the mask is quite badass.

Lucifer might be lacking in color but I do like the how it resembles bony demonic wings.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Another round because I LOVE to vent
  • Nero's DMC5 look>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nero's DMC4 look. Shorter hair and and coat set him apart from both Dante and Vergil, as well as makes him feel like a legit character.
  • Spiderverse!Miles will ALWAYS be better than MCU!Peter.
  • DmC!Dante is still, imo, my favorite version of the character.
  • The reveal that Vergil was Nero's dad was absolutely mediocre with no real suspense in it at all. It was just 'He's your dad...so yeah. There ya go' and kept it moving.
  • I'm still bitter that we never got a skin to have the devil bringer back. Like maybe have it where it has all the abilities of all your other devil breakers with the ability to switch from each one.
  • Vergil is still a characterless villain whose so one-note that I'm actually thinking DmC!Vergil had more development in his story.
  • MK11's time travel story>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Endgame's time travel story
  • Steve Rodgers making out with his future niece is gross no matter how much the MCU tries to paint it as if its not, and it's even worse that some of the most dedicated fans will defend it.
  • the DCEU, despite its mess ups, is still a universe I'd put more attention on then the MCU.
  • Dr. Strange was only good with visuals and its color style.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
@Foxtrot94 Not to imply it will solve your problem, but that is my personal taste. I can get behind any version of Rebellion aside from the DMC2 design, because the designs are so detailed and unique. Rebellion has become more recognizable than Alastor by comparison. Gilgamesh's mask is all it has going for me. Lucifer designs detail looks cool, it just blends with all the other grey weapons. As much as I harped on DmC's weapons for being plain looking. I did enjoy the design of Osiris (bone skin) and Arbriter (samurai skin), and Aquilla. Force Edge, was just always there for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Another round because I LOVE to vent
  • Nero's DMC5 look>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nero's DMC4 look. Shorter hair and and coat set him apart from both Dante and Vergil, as well as makes him feel like a legit character.
  • Spiderverse!Miles will ALWAYS be better than MCU!Peter.
  • DmC!Dante is still, imo, my favorite version of the character.
  • The reveal that Vergil was Nero's dad was absolutely mediocre with no real suspense in it at all. It was just 'He's your dad...so yeah. There ya go' and kept it moving.
  • I'm still bitter that we never got a skin to have the devil bringer back. Like maybe have it where it has all the abilities of all your other devil breakers with the ability to switch from each one.
  • Vergil is still a characterless villain whose so one-note that I'm actually thinking DmC!Vergil had more development in his story.
  • MK11's time travel story>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Endgame's time travel story
  • Steve Rodgers making out with his future niece is gross no matter how much the MCU tries to paint it as if its not, and it's even worse that some of the most dedicated fans will defend it.
  • the DCEU, despite its mess ups, is still a universe I'd put more attention on then the MCU.
  • Dr. Strange was only good with visuals and its color style.

• I'm confused about the Steve Rogers niece thing. When did this happen?
  • From what I've seen, people seem to like both Spider-Men. I do admit to enjoying Miles more. Then again, all of the Spider people in Verse I enjoyed more than MCU!Pete cuz he's basic by comparison. Nothing new we haven't seen before.
  • I know we have disagreements with the different versions of Vergil, but I will give credit to NT for hinting of DmC!Vergil's view of humanity early on. "Meningitis is a human condition! You are not human, Dante!"

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I know we have disagreements with the different versions of Vergil, but I will give credit to NT for hinting of DmC!Vergil's view of humanity early on. "Meningitis is a human condition! You are not human, Dante!"

That had nothing to do with his philosophical view on humanity though. It was merely a "scientific" way of proving to Dante that it couldn't possibly be meningitis, the reason why he didn't remember anything, because he's physiologically unable to suffer from it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom