• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question: Do you guys think Dante is a bad character in this game?

Dante94513

The guy that made this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BuoUfyMUQTc

Actually played the game and dislike him even more. I know Dante was unlikable and rude at first. But I thought that was the intention. He has a rough backstory and it shows throughout the early missions so has every reason to be what he was. He does say some cheesy one liners, but rarely caught them in the game and I have to say there were time that I actually made me laugh. As the game progresses, he sees the world more, and being around with Kat. He starts to develop a lot more and starts caring about the human. What do you guys think now after playing game? Do you think he is a bad character or just overlooked?

Frantix

That was a dumb video. It was made several months before the game was even out. o_O

Anyway, I actually quite like the character. In terms of the narrative, he's purposely an asshole to show character growth. He gradually grows into a more caring and trustworthy person. The story here is much stronger, and has more subtext and nuance than any of the previous games. I actually liked how it worked, myself.

He's a good character.

VergilNeroDante

Either way, opinions are opinions and everyone will have them. I haven't play but watchign the full walkthrough would help me understand the story rather than playing. I don't have to play it to understand and see if the story is well worth it. I will look into it, it might be better overall but still the original could have a major comeback AND set both universes to have something amazing to go by, therefore giving everyone what they want. I believe it.

Mystiq Doom

Yea that videos reasoning was dumb when I first saw it like 2 months ago and is still dumb now.

Once I beat the game, how out of context everything is taken in this video is way more apparent. Dante starts as a kid who is the result of being orphaned at a young age and growing up in an orphanage RUN BY DEMONS. I'd say, considering the circumstances, he relatively well adjusted.

He has no idea who he is, or what he is, or of his true potential, just an outsider. Once he finds purpose he shows growth, but keeps the cockiness to his personality. It's a much more coherent version of Dante.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
dude, Dante is ****ing hilarious in this game. my first playthrough had me rolling when Dante needed to **** off mundus.

he's a good character. cannot wait to see more.

JoshMoshes

DMC Aficionado
I saw the video before. I don't consider Dante a bad character at all. Sure he has character flaws, but who doesn't? I like him a lot actually. If the uploader doesn't like him, that's totally fine. I can't think of one person fictional or real that everyone likes/enjoys.

However, with that said this Dante is absolutely nothing like the old one. I could understand why people call him DINO. They both have smart alecky attitudes and have cheesy one liners but that's about it.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I wished he was as big of an ass as Izaya or Laxus from DRRR, and Fairy Tail, but I thought he was really awesome the way he was.

KaizenShio

I like when your dodging the lasers on sky bridge then drekavac appears with a few mobs an he goes "Oh F**k off!" I was actually thinking that cause my hp was low on my first play through .
Lol that actually happened to me alot....Everytime.....Every damn Time.... I smile =D

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I wished he was as big of an ass as Izaya or Laxus from DRRR, and Fairy Tail, but I thought he was really awesome the way he was.

If he became like Izaya he would become more annoying to most people :p

I think he is a good character. I really enjoyed listening to his dialogues even some them are cheesy. I'm used to cheesy dialogues anyway.

Gbraga

Always loved the new Dante, even though the story itself I think was weak and would probably be a lot better (both the story and Dante) if they stick to the original TGS 2010 vision.

Railazel

He was a cool guy at times, a jerk in others, and times where what he says were a little off and times where his character was a little inconsistent. All in all, he wasn't a bad character for the kind of person he was intended to be.

Top Bottom