• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

PS3 or X360?

VirgilTheart

Meh, personally I prefer the PS3, but that's partly because I've never been a fan of the XBox 360. :lol: My recommendation would be to ask about both of 'em at a store and compare and contrast the specs and games available for each console, and pick whichever one suits your desires more. ^_^

Hope that helps! :cool:

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Here is my own personal review about each console:

PlayStation 3

Pros

- Cheaper than a Blu Ray player.
- Has many awesome PS3 exclusive games, like Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted: Among Thieves, Yakuza 3, God of War III, inFamous, and etc.
- Free online services.
- Free signup for PlayStation Network.
- PlayStation Store is consumer friendly, with free demos and stuff.
- Play games in high definition.
- You can use any Bluetooth accessories.
- Controllers have rechargeable batteries.
- PS3 games are region free, so you can play any games from any regions. Only Blu Ray movies are region locked.
- You don't have to change discs while playing.
- Friendly user dashboard for users.
- Have Wireless Adapter.

Cons

- PS3 games can be very expensive, because it is Blu Ray.
- Weird shape to some people.
- A lot of PS3 games requires mandatory installation, which can be annoying sometimes.
- A number of multi-platform games are the inferior port in PS3 compared to Xbox 360, like Bayonetta.
- No backward compatibilities for PS2 games, especially PS3 Slim.

Xbox 360

Pros

- A lot of fantastic Microsoft exclusive games, like Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, and etc. (Mass Effect are available for PC too, and Mass Effect 2 are available on PC and PS3 in the future.)
- A number of multi-platform games triumph in Xbox 360 compared to PS3, like Bayonetta.
- Play games in high definition.
- You don't have to install the game to play it. It is optional installation.
- Great online services, albeit you must pay for signing up for Xbox Live.
- Xbox Live has more features compared with PlayStation Network.
- Playing multiplayer online in Xbox Live is much more satisfying.
- Has an extensive, wide selection of games compared to PS3. (for now)
- Friendly user dashboard for users.
- You can watch DVD movies.
- You can play Xbox Original games, albeit you need an Xbox 360 hard drive.
- Some Xbox 360 games are cheaper than PS3 games.
- Xbox Live Marketplace sometimes get game demos faster than PlayStation Store.
- Have Wireless Adapter.

Cons

- Some games have multiple discs, and you have to change discs to progress. Can be annoying.
- Xbox Live membership fees can be expensive to some people. Xbox Gold will allow full features on Xbox Live while Xbox Silver will allow fewer features.
- The disc reading noise emitted when you play games can be distracting and cumbersome. This applies to older models. Can be solved if you install the games in an Xbox 360 hard drive.
- A number of games are not region free. Although, some consoles in different countries are region lock.
- You need to buy batteries for your controllers. You can get a rechargeable battery for your controller for a good price to solve this matter.
- Weird shape to some people.
- Need an Xbox 360 hard drive to save any DLC, downloaded movies, etc as the older Xbox 360 models have not much storage. Only the newer Xbox 360, which is Xbox 360 Slim has large storage.
- Xbox 360 Arcade and Xbox 360 Elite does not have Wireless Adapters. Can be bought, but may be expensive to you.
- The old models have high failure rates, and one of the most popular one is called Red Ring of Death. The newer models have lower rate of failures.

It is hard to say which console is better, and I like both consoles. If you want to buy a PS3, get the PS3 Slim because it has large storage. If you want to buy an Xbox 360, get the Xbox 360 Slim because it has large storage as well.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
The post above actually is pretty good, doubtful anyone could say it better. Although you might want to switch the whole rechargeable battery thing from the con to the pros section, although I can see why you chose it there because you have to actually pay for it.

For a con on the Xbox 360, you might want to put its' failure rates, which are very high. Although the new Xbox 360 is rumored to not red ring at all. Don't forget both systems have Wireless Adapters built in (This does NOT apply to the Xbox 360 Arcade and Elites, they do not have built in Wi-Fi adapters and thus you need to buy one, and they're very expensive!).

But yeah, whichever is better is simply a game of opinion, personally I like them both equally and use them the same.

EDIT: Hey Chaos, might want to update your signature for some of the release dates on the games :I

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Ember To Inferno;278041 said:
The post above actually is pretty good, doubtful anyone could say it better. Although you might want to switch the whole rechargeable battery thing from the con to the pros section, although I can see why you chose it there because you have to actually pay for it.

For a con on the Xbox 360, you might want to put its' failure rates, which are very high. Although the new Xbox 360 is rumored to not red ring at all. Don't forget both systems have Wireless Adapters built in (This does NOT apply to the Xbox 360 Arcade and Elites, they do not have built in Wi-Fi adapters and thus you need to buy one, and they're very expensive!).

But yeah, whichever is better is simply a game of opinion, personally I like them both equally and use them the same.

EDIT: Hey Chaos, might want to update your signature for some of the release dates on the games :I

Never had a failure so far on my Xbox 360, so I didn't put it. Perhaps I will.

Yeah, I forgot about the Wireless Adapters. Thanks a lot. :)

Didn't matter, because I am planning to replace my sig soon. :lol:

Dark Drakan

Admin
I own a 360 obviously and have been more than happy with it. ^_^

Xbox 360 said:
The disc reading noise emitted when you play games can be distracting and cumbersome.

Only on the older models, mine used to sound like a jet taking off but when i had the new chipset put in it the noise was significantly less.

Xbox 360 said:
A number of games are not region free.

Ive been able to play both PAL and NTSC games on mine with no issues. Might be that some countries region lock their consoles but others dont couldnt tell you which countries though.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;278065 said:
I see. I better edit it. Thanks, Dark Drakan. ^_^

Oh yeah, does your console can play NTSC-J region games?

I dont know to be honest ive never tried any but i have friends who have ordered them from Play Asia and they have worked fine and i assume they use the same region.

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Dark Drakan;278067 said:
I don't know to be honest i've never tried any but i have friends who have ordered them from Play Asia and they have worked fine and i assume they use the same region.

Japan is in a different region than say America or UK. But yeah, I never knew the 360 was mostly region-free. I believe games like Blazblue online are region locked though (could be wrong).

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;278067 said:
I dont know to be honest ive never tried any but i have friends who have ordered them from Play Asia and they have worked fine and i assume they use the same region.

I see. Guess I will edit it. :D Thanks. :)

Dark Drakan

Admin
Ember To Inferno;278068 said:
Japan is in a different region than say America or UK. But yeah, I never knew the 360 was mostly region-free. I believe games like Blazblue online are region locked though (could be wrong).

Well the games on Play Asia seem to be region free (just looked)

Example:

Dead Rising 2 (look in compatibility list)

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
So it all depends on the game I suppose, well that makes everything more confusing -_-

Oh well, at least I can import if I so desire...Well, depending on the circumstances.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;278077 said:
That was done intentionally by Square Enix and was announced as so before release. Wasnt even allowed to be released for 360 in Japan.

Yeah, until now... Now they said that they want to release Final Fantasy XIII International in Japan for Xbox 360. And now the Japanese are outraged with that action. I believed you have seen that thread of mine regarding that, no?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;278078 said:
Yeah, until now... Now they said that they want to release Final Fantasy XIII International in Japan for Xbox 360. And now the Japanese are outraged with that action. I believed you have seen that thread of mine regarding that, no?

Yeah, took them long enough. First Japan get the game 4 months before anyone else, then they try to not get it released for 360 in Asian regions. I dont see what the big deal is, they had it for long enough. Should let everyone else play it, shot themselves in the foot in the end as sales were all over the place due to varying releases and it disappeared from top 15 in charts quickly. I didnt even bother buying it as i thought forget it, if they are going to be so awkward about it then they arent having my money.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;278079 said:
Yeah, took them long enough. First Japan get the game 4 months before anyone else, then they try to not get it released for 360 in Asian regions. I dont see what the big deal is, they had it for long enough. Should let everyone else play it, shot themselves in the foot in the end as sales were all over the place due to varying releases and it disappeared from top 15 in charts quickly.

Yeah, same here. Is this due to low sales of Xbox 360 in Japan? I am pretty sure that Xbox 360 sales went up when exclusive JRPG games released on that platform, like Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;278080 said:
Yeah, same here. Is this due to low sales of Xbox 360 in Japan? I am pretty sure that Xbox 360 sales went up when exclusive JRPG games released on that platform, like Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.

Yeah they dont like Western designed products selling well over there so they try to give people more reasons to purchase home made products (Sony, Nintendo). They prefer their own companies to get the market share of the profits rather than 'Foreign' companies like Microsoft.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;278081 said:
Yeah they dont like Western designed products selling well over there so they try to give people more reasons to purchase home made products (Sony, Nintendo). They prefer their own companies to get the market share of the profits rather than 'Foreign' companies like Microsoft.

I see. Square Enix must be one of those Sony supporters, no? Because other video game companies likes to develop multi platform games lately, like Capcom.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;278082 said:
I see. Square Enix must be one of those Sony supporters, no? Because other video game companies likes to develop multi platform games lately, like Capcom.

Well technically they shouldnt be as they are a 3rd party developer and are free to develop games for anyone. They have jumped on the multi-platform bandwagon too now as FFXIII was released for 360 despite Sony saying for years it was PS3 exclusive. In order to keep Sony happy for this though they made some games exclusive shortly after (FFXIII Versus) but id say those days are pretty much over now as the profit lies elsewhere in the multi-platform market plus the game hasnt yet got a release date.

Top Bottom