• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

plotholes questions and stuff

Valcorn

I know there are already some threads on this topic, but here I come.
I'm yet to read the comic prequel and see VD's cutscenes, so I might have missed up a few things, but this isn't definitely clear from the game itself.
So:
-Why does Dante's hair turn white? Neither of their parents have white hair in this canon, so I'm going to assume that it means his powers blooming fully. But then again, how come Vergil has white hair since birth or at least childhood?
-Can someone explain me the "memory dimension" or what **** it is with the chained statue? I don't get it.
-Amulets unexplained as well
-Dante grabs the "DT key item" from Assiel or what **** and gets sucked into his own head and when he realizes himself, the emblem/symbol is gone... what happened to it? 0_o
-Since they are half angel/demon, why isn't there an angel trigger but there's a devil trigger? A Nephilim trigger would make much more sense than both imo.
-The game clearly hints on that not all demons are evil (Phineas, Sparda etc.) so I guess they aren't evil by nature just for the sake of it. So how come makes it sense for Dante and Vergil to loose "humanity" when they aren't even human?

I mean, that it doesn't take to be human to have "human qualities/morals" but neither being a demon automatically makes someone evil. So since Dante is good and his demon father was good, usage of his powers shouldn't be taking away something that's not even physically in him "_" using demonic powers shouldn't have any negative effect since his "humanity" neither "evilness" stem from his blood.

Anything to add to the list? I feel like it's simply a bad storytelling.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
I'm yet to read the comic prequel and see VD's cutscenes, so I might have missed up a few things, but this isn't definitely clear from the game itself.
So:
-Why does Dante's hair turn white? Neither of their parents have white hair in this canon, so I'm going to assume that it means his powers blooming fully. But then again, how come Vergil has white hair since birth or at least childhood?

Fanboys.

-Can someone explain me the "memory dimension" or what **** it is with the chained statue? I don't get it.

The Memory whirlpool is Dante being transported to deep Limbo-like sections of his repressed memory, breaking the chains off the giant statue is Dante slowly unlocking his past and future potential, piece by piece.

Keepsakes from their Mother, they don't need a huge focus.

-Dante grabs the "DT key item" from Assiel or what **** and gets sucked into his own head and when he realizes himself, the emblem/symbol is gone... what happened to it? 0_o

Not exactly sure what's going on here as I completely forget the moments Dante spent with Phineas, I believe touching the Devil Trigger symbol simply triggers other Memory whirlpool where Dante unlocks his full potential. And the symbol doesn't disappear actually, if You turn behind You and look down immediately after exiting Dante's memory, it's laying there on the floor.

-Since they are half angel/demon, why isn't there an angel trigger but there's a devil trigger? A Nephilim trigger would make much more sense than both imo.

Series consistency perhaps, Devil Trigger is still called Devil Trigger in the same way that Dante is still called Dante.

-The game clearly hints on that not all demons are evil (Phineas, Sparda etc.) so I guess they aren't evil by nature just for the sake of it. So how come makes it sense for Dante and Vergil to loose "humanity" when they aren't even human?

They've lived, breathed and been raised Human. Losing their humanity can refer to simply losing their compassion and empathy towards the Human race, believing them to be a sub-species, beneath them.

Valcorn

-lol... thought NT have a story-related reason behind everything since they were afraid Taunts would harm their narrative. So just for the sake of it isn't a satisfactory answer :I
-I know that, but what's with the statue, does it represent his true form or something?
-They are somehow linked to their power, but how it works wasn't elaborated upon. Also it's quite big of a deal since it had a major role in the original series.
-Oh, that explains it a bit, thought he absorbed it or threw away. But again, how can a symbol he has never seen trigger a memory?
-Again conflicting with their "good at storytelling" resume
-But why? As I sad, demons don't appear to be evil by nature but more like raised evil since they consider themselves superior and humans just a food, just like we have little feelings for insects.
If he got possessed by a power of an evil demon, okay... but in this case it's half of his blood and evilness isn't magically soaked into it since his father was good and so he is.
If it was stated that he can loose his humanity by doing bad things, then okay that's understandable, but activating his inherited powers can't take away something that's not materially.

Romy

Things like hair or devil trigger are simply a memento of old DMC games. They probably didn't want to change it too much. I'm more interested in as to why was Vergil's hair white since his childhood while Dante's wasn't.

zarion

Spoilers, but Vergil's Doppelganger, Hollow Vergil is referred to as Vergil's 'inner devil' and that thing was holding back on him.
After Vergil absorbs him he explodes with power and makes a transformation similar to Dante's DT.
Hollow Vergil may have been present since the very start, due to Vergil supposedly being more Demon-dominant though he looks more like an Angel imo.
And we don't know the colour of Sparda's hair, Phineas makes a comment which makes me believe that Sparda's hair was white.

Blacknerd

Id argue that the white hair is a nephilim trait. Because again phineis looked at dantes hair and noted him unlocking the devil inside of him so this could be a more demonic trait from him being a nephilim.

The amulets are both a memento for the brothers but also a source of there hidden power. As vergil noted when he had the necklace "Its useless it only works for him"

The symbol of the nephilim(I call it that because dante has it o his damned back as well) he probably just dropped it like he did everything else in the 2nd mission.

The spirit worlds are locked into there subconsciousness because there father helped lock away there past and hid alot from them. I believe its always mixed in with the amulets that glowed each time dante went into these worlds. His mom even noted your here because of me. So again its more than just a necklace.

Loosing your humanity can happen to anyone but most assuredly can happen to them. Due in part to them being demonic and angelic if you looked at how dante was damn sure about to kill vergil he was loosing grips with reality. Same with vergil wanting to rule humanity and treating kat like utter **** mid way through the game.

Valcorn

Spoilers, but Vergil's Doppelganger, Hollow Vergil is referred to as Vergil's 'inner devil' and that thing was holding back on him.
After Vergil absorbs him he explodes with power and makes a transformation similar to Dante's DT.
Hollow Vergil may have been present since the very start, due to Vergil supposedly being more Demon-dominant though he looks more like an Angel imo.
And we don't know the colour of Sparda's hair, Phineas makes a comment which makes me believe that Sparda's hair was white.

This is what confuses me, I'd like the story more if Vergil was angel-dominant and Dante demon-dominant, showing that one's powers and blood doesn't necessarily have with personality, that an angel may fall and a devil may cry LOL
The whole angels stuff in DmC is very undeveloped and mostly ignored, feels like they added it cause being half human isn't cool anymore.

Paexie

So:
I'm pretty sure it's just a Nephilim trait of unleashing your potential and all, that doesn't have too mean that it's physical. Vergil is more of a clean cut guy. Brains over brawn and all. He might have just been born with talent. "I'm smarter."
It's a metaphor man. Literally a battle in the human mind. The chained statue is his mother and childhood memories.
Amulets are a gift from Eva. That's the only explanation we are given and they have no relevance to this plot but only as momentous of their real parents.
Like all the other weapons, it's been absorbed.
If some demons where angels fallen from grace than they too have to be careful (in this sense they all have demon triggers as the deeper you go into it the more "demon" you become), nephilim ride between the lines so they are neither but they can fall into becoming monsters as well.
Dante identifies as a human being, he feels like he belongs with them no matter his heritage. Vergil on the other hand became aware of his "superiority" to humans and maybe to the angels and demons, too. He could never really relate to them at all. So in the game's context it's about choosing what ideal you align with.
Do you protect the underdog, do nothing, or take over them?

Sparda chose nothing, to exile and elope with Eva and she did the same. They did not choose human race itself, only to hide in it in peace as humans it seems. Phineas is loyal to Sparda so he followed in those footsteps of a neutral standing. It doesn't mean they identify with the race. Only Dante feels that need to protect them.

Vergil just doesn't see it in that way, because people can be just as terrible as the demons that controled them and their parents really didn't choose a side anyway so why hold people dear when he is ultimately not one of them. That's probably his train of thought.

I mean, that it doesn't take to be human to have "human qualities/morals" but neither being a demon automatically makes someone evil. So since Dante is good and his demon father was good, usage of his powers shouldn't be taking away something that's not even physically in him "_" using demonic powers shouldn't have any negative effect since his "humanity" neither "evilness" stem from his blood.
Mundus clearly showed some compassion or at least some mourning over his demon child. But you see, he wasn't angry because he lost it too, he's also angry because that was his future so he could continue rule over humanity. So it's all a matter of context. What are the ends to the means.
So again, some angels have fallen and turned into demons according to some mythos, it's completely possible that the more you delve into that side, the more you loose of your former self.

Anything to add to the list? I feel like it's simply a bad storytelling.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Here's a question: It's shown when the Order is raided that Vergil is in Limbo and he escapes using his magic and gets back to the human world. So why was it such a big deal with him being dragged into Limbo during the tower raid? Couldn't he just portal out?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Here's a question: It's shown when the Order is raided that Vergil is in Limbo and he escapes using his magic and gets back to the human world. So why was it such a big deal with him being dragged into Limbo during the tower raid? Couldn't he just portal out?

He could have made that ready long before he even met Dante.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
another plothole i found
why does he have Ebony and Ivory without needing them yet?
Not sure on that- made them himself? Stole them? But he did need them prior to the start of the game as demons were dragging him to Limbo before.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

The location of the rift (where he can make the portal) is only in one place. He couldn't get there because the demons had him cornered.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The location of the rift (where he can make the portal) is only in one place. He couldn't get there because the demons had him cornered.
Ah, didn't think of that- thanks

Okay, another one: How did they do the exchange without being discovered by the regular humans? It is shown that there are cars on the street, so there have to be people walking around the docks.
Did SWAT block that area off and only let Vergil drive his car to there?

Also, did SWAT dispose of Lilith's body? Or did they just leave it there? That would be a freaky thing for a human to find.:O

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Ah, didn't think of that- thanks

Okay, another one: How did they do the exchange without being discovered by the regular humans? It is shown that there are cars on the street, so there have to be people walking around the docks.
Did SWAT block that area off and only let Vergil drive his car to there?

Also, did SWAT dispose of Lilith's body? Or did they just leave it there? That would be a freaky thing for a human to find.:O

I'm pretty sure they cordoned off the area. Industrial shipping docks aren't usually all that crowded, anyway.

This scene takes place after Dexter breaks into one in broad daylight using nothing but some chain cutting shears (or whatever you call them). You'd think that, plus the fight, would attract a lot more attention than it did in the scene itself. Chalk it up to suspension of disbelief.

zarion

This is what confuses me, I'd like the story more if Vergil was angel-dominant and Dante demon-dominant, showing that one's powers and blood doesn't necessarily have with personality, that an angel may fall and a devil may cry LOL
The whole angels stuff in DmC is very undeveloped and mostly ignored, feels like they added it cause being half human isn't cool anymore.
Vergil is more cool and composed, while at the same time being scheming and manipulative. While Dante is more brash and reckless, though his intentions are pure.
Vergil could be the Fallen Angel, while Dante is the well-meaning Demon. There are various ways to interpret their characters.
I'm still sort of bummed out on Vergil not having any good aerial combos

Top Bottom