• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Plot holes in DMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvlsnvrcry432

Has anyone noticed how many plot holes there are in the entire series. It's an awesome series but I feel like all of the novels, games and anime kinda make the details and storyline have plot holes. idk, maybe its jst me.

Eris Strife

The Discordian Trickster
You're not the only one who thinks that way. I think most of us out there agree that Capcom royally screwed up with the entire plot, due to several reasons.

As stated in the DMC plot thread, Capcom made DMC2 a little too off from the original DMC, which resulted in DMC2 faring poorly. So they reversed direction for DMC3, which sold like hotcakes. Also, when they released DMC3 and 4, they screwed up the novels, robbing them of a chance at gaining canonity.

For now, we only know that the only non-game version of DMC that is declared canon by Capcom would be the anime. The manga and the novels have yet to be confirmed canon, due to inconsistencies with the game's plot.

dvlsnvrcry432

Yeah, but I jst dont understand why Capcom would ruin their own game by making things in the series like DMC2. The first game i played was DMC3 and fell in love with instantly, but as soon as i saw DMC2 i got angry cuz they ruined a good thing. not by much but enough.

Eris Strife

The Discordian Trickster
I remember someone mentioning that Capcom is not known for sticking to any one thing. They like to "explore" what they can do with something that was successful the first time round. Unfortunately, they didn't have the sensibility to keep the exploration to the designs and decided to share it with us, the fans.

All said, DMC2 was not such a bad game in terms of game play and bosses. Can't speak for the plot, though.

I also played DMC3 first, which pulled me into the series like Alice falling into the rabbit hole. DMC2 kind of stagnated my interest.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^That's true.remember Megaman X 6 and 7?They followed the DMC2 route.Then Inafune returned at the middle of the Zero series to end the X series thta were supposed to end with 5,making 8 to place things right.

Ps : Funny thing is that in some wiki,they have a name for what Capcom does and analize it as if they were psychitrists and Capcom was their patient.

Eris Strife

The Discordian Trickster
They do? Do you know the name of the page? Or a link to the page? That sounds very interesting, and maybe it'll explain why Capcom does what it does.

Eris Strife

The Discordian Trickster
Pretty funny article. XD I haven't finished reading the whole thing, just the first part got me laughing. It's true that Capcom, like so many other game coms *cough* Square Enix and Sega *cough* like to get the best out of a successful series, but sometimes they try too hard... and it becomes a complete flop.

Square Enix managed to break the cycle since FFVII (not saying that pre-VII games sucked), now let's see Capcom do it too. I don't expect them to fix all the plot holes by DMC5, but they better not create new ones to add to the confusion.

And Capcom, if you're reading this... please, for the love of DMC, don't retcon the series, or contradict anything you confirmed canon. Some of us can't handle it.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Some games companies are too afraid to try new looks.

It's like Castlevania. Because Symphony of the Night is classed as an excellent game, Konami are too afraid to change the layout. It's already been prove that Castlvania doesn't really work as a 3d game.

Nintendo struck gold when they released Ocarina of time (Zelda), the game hasn't really changed since then.

Then there is Sega... Sega tried Sonic the Hedgehog in 3D... TO MOST FANS,it didn't work. That's why Sega has released Sonic 4 as a 2D game.

Personally, I'd love to see a 2D-Castlevania-type game of Devil may cry.

I bought Megaman X7. I thought it looked very good.

Apparently some Capcom employees disregard DMC2, They just simply ignore it.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Vergil'sB*tch;209862 said:
Some games companies are too afraid to try new looks.

It's like Castlevania. Because Symphony of the Night is classed as an excellent game, Konami are too afraid to change the layout. It's already been prove that Castlvania doesn't really work as a 3d game.

Nintendo struck gold when they released Ocarina of time (Zelda), the game hasn't really changed since then.

Then there is Sega... Sega tried Sonic the Hedgehog in 3D... TO MOST FANS,it didn't work. That's why Sega has released Sonic 4 as a 2D game.

Personally, I'd love to see a 2D-Castlevania-type game of Devil may cry.

I bought Megaman X7. I thought it looked very good.

Apparently some Capcom employees disregard DMC2, They just simply ignore it.

Kojima now works with Mercury to change all this.The new castlevania looks very nice in 3D.But yeah those before...if anything the ps2 ones were very nice,but the N64 were...

True,but why do that?Anyway,the top guys said they will completely change Zelda with the new Zelda for the WII.[The one that has Link in artwork,making him possibly RIGHT-handed and a blue girl.]

Yup...Don't understand why though...if any game failed,that was unleashed.[Ok,the black knight too,but that was IMO because it didn't get multiplatform release.]

That's a good idea,but I think it was "scrapped" or "abandoned" twice : two games for a mobile phone.[Can't remember the names.]

Megaman X 7,like 6 just screwed up the story.Nothing more,nothing less.The rest was good like any other MMX game before 8.Or the remake for the PSP.

And yeah about the last...somebody's gotta teach a lesson...

dvlsnvrcry432

I just dont get why they had to do the sudden change from DMC to DMC2. DMC wasnt exactly unbelievably spectacular for me (im more of a fan of DMC3 and 4) but it didnt suck either. unlike the second game that just sucked completely. companies need to learn not to change things too much of a big hit. but im glad capcom learned from DMC3 when they were making DMC4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom