• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Old School still rules. What do you enjoy more?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
When I look at my gaming playlist nowadays I can pretty much safely say I play more old school titles than new. DmC was probably the first game I got full priced and new since Batman: Arkham City in December of 2011. So as you can see, I don't go out and buy many new games often. The next game I will be buying will be Injustice: Gods Among Us because I am just a massive comic book geek and this is like my dream game.

I look at what I'm playing at the moment and besides DmC, I've been replaying Ninja Gaiden(X-Box), Shinobi(ps2), and of course I kind of never stop playing my NES, SNES, and N64. I'm pretty much on the verge of beating Banjo Kazooie and Starfox 64 for like the one billionth time. To me, these old school games are just more fun than newer titles which hardly seem to keep up with the good old days.

If I had to pick, I would say the Playstation 2 is the best gaming console of all time because it was a time where games were advanced but also did not deteriorate because of the advances and some amazing games were on that system. Final Fantasy 10, Shadow Of The Colossus, GTA San Andreas, Devil May Cry, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time etc. etc. etc. It really was probably the greatest console ever.

Overall I say I'm more of a retro gamer and enjoy these old school games more so than a lot of new ones. Which do you prefer?

I guess I'm a retro gamer myself. Nothing on current gen consoles has had me really interested except maybe Metal Gear Solid 4, Rising and the upcoming ground zero game. (All MG games...lol)

I can pick up older games anytime and play them to completion if I wanted, while newer games I struggle to play for more than an hour. I agree with your post about the PS2 being the best console for modern-ish games, 'cause it's kinda getting on now. Anywho if you gave me the choice to play a modern day game and Castlevania IV I'd play Castlevania IV.

Older games just click with me better. And I wasn't even old enough to appreciate those games when I was little, I grew up with the PS1 and Dreamcast, awesome consoles, good library of games, but I do wish I was born earlier to grow up with the Megadrive/Genesis and Super Nintendo.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Hard to say, there have been good, bad and mediocre games from all across my own gaming timeline. I would be lying to myself if I said I preferred one generation to the other, so I'll just say I like all generations in some way.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
I like older games personally. SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, PS 2, and the Gamecube were the systems I'd played. I mostly liked the old school rpgs and horror games. I have nothing against the newer titles coming out, but it feels like some are more style than substance. Games like Final Fantasy 4, Silent Hill, and Perfect Dark I loved.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I like older games personally. SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, PS 2, and the Gamecube were the systems I'd played. I mostly liked the old school rpgs and horror games. I have nothing against the newer titles coming out, but it feels like some are more style than substance. Games like Final Fantasy 4, Silent Hill, and Perfect Dark I loved.
Silent Hill 2 was a freaking masterpiece. Shame the series is such a mess now. It hasn't had a good one since 3.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I buy my fair share of new titles but there are old games I still play to this day.

KoTOR 1 & 2
Settlers 2
Lots of old Command & Conquer titles
Morrowind & Oblivion
Age of Empires 2
Rome: Total War

Sold most of my old consoles however to make some cash for bills when I first got my own place.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I'm more of a retro gamer myself then only games I usually get excited for are for handhelds (psp, 3ds) I still find tons of hidden gems for my ps2 and DS. Rule of Rose and Hotel Dusk are two of my favorite games ever their sooo good but so underrated :(

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Silent Hill 2 was a freaking masterpiece. Shame the series is such a mess now. It hasn't had a good one since 3.

Yeah. I love Silent Hill 2 and 3. And I tired to play Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and couldn't. It was a bit unnerving, but the controls sucked. :/

Terrutas

Retro gamer here. The only game I put more than 10 hours to that is rather modern is Skyrim I guess.

Most of the time I just play DMC1,3,4 And SSF4AE. But I still replay Final Fantasy 7, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro a lot.
Which reminds me, I need to replay Super Castlevania 4. That game was the perfect side scroller in terms of control.
Oh and Marvel vs Capcom 1. That game is decent and it has Megaman. (Who should be included in all of them,damn it.)

But yeah, I prefer older games. The modern games are stuck in this weird vortex of FPS,MMO,RPG,and action RPGs

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I like a mixture. I can find myself replaying the final fantasy games from PS1/2 and the Legacy of Kain games or fatal frame, but I also like the Super Nintendo with Donkey Kong and Mario or playing the Sega Megadrive and Sonic. It's nice to go back to older games and see how far graphics have advanced, but also seems to me that difficulty in games has gone down since then.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Hey i was looking for a thread like this for a while now to post this

Yeah ITS REAL and you can download that Public Beta here

> http://www.2shared.com/file/kPSb4jID/Unfinished_Project.html

Its NOT a Mod its an actual RE 1.5 patched and re-released by some hardcore mofos

If I had to pick, I would say the Playstation 2 is the best gaming console of all time because it was a time where games were advanced but also did not deteriorate because of the advances and some amazing games were on that system. Final Fantasy 10, Shadow Of The Colossus, GTA San Andreas, Devil May Cry, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time etc. etc. etc. It really was probably the greatest console ever.
Overall I say I'm more of a retro gamer and enjoy these old school games more so than a lot of new ones. Which do you prefer?

I'm the only geek on this board who mostly plays ps2 games because there are simply TOO MANY Great Games !

I feel like i've played like every great game there is then after that i stumble upon another game i feel like i'll be 30 by the time i finish playing ps2

Also i've gotta say Old Arcade games ROCKS.. and now you can only find them in overcrowded malls or some plazas that i couldn't give less of a fu*k about ONLY to find out that those games are also on Consoles like SF 4 and some boring ass cowboy shooting game

In short I miss 2d Beat'em'ups

I am honestly severely disappointing by this generation really it feels like just yesterday when that crysis demo was shown and blew everyone away and then halo came in to the party under all that hype i only found a library of crap ton of lackluster,soulless and uncreative games

I can still play Castlevania 1&megaman 2 because they're ageless and hella fun but i got bored by playing arkham city just right after i finished all the stupid mundane puzzles and tasks actually when i think about it it wasn't really that great of a game it just manipulates you think that its fun

I haven't seen virtually anything creative in this generation i fear to see the future of next gen gaming

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Hey i was looking for a thread like this for a while now to post this

Yeah ITS REAL and you can download that Public Beta here

> http://www.2shared.com/file/kPSb4jID/Unfinished_Project.html

Its NOT a Mod its an actual RE 1.5 patched and re-released by some hardcore mofos

I'm the only geek on this board who mostly plays ps2 games because there are simply TOO MANY Great Games !

I feel like i've played like every great game there is then after that i stumble upon another game i feel like i'll be 30 by the time i finish playing ps2

Also i've gotta say Old Arcade games ROCKS.. and now you can only find them in overcrowded malls or some plazas that i couldn't give less of a fu*k about ONLY to find out that those games are also on Consoles like SF 4 and some boring ass cowboy shooting game

In short I miss 2d Beat'em'ups

I am honestly severely disappointing by this generation really it feels like just yesterday when that crysis demo was shown and blew everyone away and then halo came in to the party under all that hype i only found a library of crap ton of lackluster,soulless and uncreative games

I can still play Castlevania 1&megaman 2 because they're ageless and hella fun but i got bored by playing arkham city just right after i finished all the stupid mundane puzzles and tasks actually when i think about it it wasn't really that great of a game it just manipulates you think that its fun

I haven't seen virtually anything creative in this generation i fear to see the future of next gen gaming
The next generation doesn't feel like a next generation but a simple extension of this one that has slightly better graphics. The Sony conference wasn't really good because if you look at all the games that were shown, most of them were just sequels or carry overs and there was no interesting new IP or quite frankly enough of anything to actually motivate me to get a new system. The gaming industry still wants to play it safe and not take the innovative risk it so desperately needs.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
The next generation doesn't feel like a next generation but a simple extension of this one that has slightly better graphics. The Sony conference wasn't really good because if you look at all the games that were shown, most of them were just sequels or carry overs and there was no interesting new IP or quite frankly enough of anything to actually motivate me to get a new system. The gaming industry still wants to play it safe and not take the innovative risk it so desperately needs.

If you're looking for something fresh and non-mainstream you're looking at the wrong place

you should be looking here > http://indiestatik.com/2013/01/01/top-50-most-anticipated-indie-games-of-2013/

or here > http://www.squidoo.com/top-10-indie-games-countdown

Ps4/xbox (insert a lame name here) is not going to have anything "Fresh" or "innovative" to look forward that i guarantee you

let's look at the history....

Atari introduced space shooter(grabbed everyone's attention and made gaming a sensation)

NES saved the 80's video game crash and introduced revolutionary platformers and 8-Bit graphics (at its time it was pretty much like ipod)

SNES perfected games from NES and polished them in 16 bit while introducing something fresh/innovative stuff like F-Zero and star fox,brandish

PS1 was nothing less of a revolution at its time it introduced Cd-Rom and For the first time full Motion CGI cutscenes (even if they're laughable today) it introduced full 3d Polygons and 3d environment,also laid out foundations for ps2 to continue

PS2 just like SNES perfected polygonal models and overall physics made it much faster,refined and fluid,it introduced Online gaming in some specified games but i never really knew that lol

Its awesomeness was so much of an overload that no console even came close to getting 20% game share ps2 had ps2 has the most largest and varied game library you'll ever find for any Console !

Ps3/360 Introduced and popularized Online Multplayer,Gave games a great Graphical Overhaul,gave the games more "Realistic" physics which just made the game less fun IMHO

PS4/XBOX ? what else is there to do ? its not like its going to be super HD its not like its going to be super innovative its not like its going to give us New types of games as we clearly don't have hardware restrains in ps3/360

Top Bottom