• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

[Official] Nero is Vergil' son

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
As far as the prostitute thing, for some reason in the novel even Sanctus suggests that Vergil hooked up with a prostitute and that was how Nero was born, it wasn't just the kids making fun of Nero in the orphanage because "everyone knows everyone and no one could identify Nero's mom".

That part about "not being treated well" still baffles me, though. This is a place that worships Sparda "just like a god". They have statues and iconography of Sparda. They all wear the same clothes and it seems everyone belongs to the Order of the Sword, even if they don't belong to the Holy Knights of the Order. This suggests they're indoctrinated at an early age, the religion is in all aspects of their life (it's like Yevon in FFX). In the novel it even says that Kyrie's and Credo's parents adopted Nero because he resembled Sparda with his white hair, so people knew what he looked like in his human form, it wasn't some type of well-kept secret. This does mean he should be treated well, but for some nonsensical reason, everyone else disregards the fact that this random boy is a spitting image of their Lord and Savior, and instead the children make fun of him and he's treated awfully outside of his adoptive parents.

It's like if people saw a child that looked exactly like Jesus Christ, and decided instead to throw stones at him because of "dubious parentage" instead of acknowledging his appearance as a miracle because he doesn't have identifiable parentage. Do they really think their God is beholden to earthly limitations when making inexplicable things happen?

That right there is part of why people disregarded the novel. The translation that you quoted came from a source that put their opinion everywhere instead of simply translating the product as accurately as possible.

Let's be honest here.

When the only translation for something people want to know more about opens its page with

"Warning: Reading this novel may be hazardous to your mind, body and soul.
Devil's Lair will not take responsibility for any trauma you may suffer. "

That does not help.

When the summary has sh!t like
  • "My god… can you ever imagine Vergil impregnating a human woman?!"
  • "I mean just think about it, really. Majestic beetle-looking cool demon with a kick ass giant sword… and a handgun. That… is… so… awesome…! *Shoots you if you agree*."
  • "Since when does Nero read??"
  • "He came into the scene to save Kyrie and a bunch of orphans she brought for a walk in the forest (LOL?)"
  • "He figured that perhaps this arm is now how it originally should have been, just like how a caterpillar transforms into a pupa and then a butterfly. (Yeah he made this analogy, not me!) He thought that perhaps he had simply reached that time in his life to be who he really was. o_O… Okay…?? LOL."
  • "The novel wrote it this way: "the cry of a soul that only one of the same blood origin can detect". (WTF LOOOL)"
  • "(Goddamn Capcom, they really wanna make it official that Vergil's dead.) This, my friend, is how Capcom/Bingo wants us to welcome Nero into the Sparda family. *Spazzes out*"
  • ""Can you hear it, the cry of a soul?" (LMAO)"
  • "*GASP* It's Nero soul…! Best. Idea. Ever. (Sorry for those of you who believe the handsome blue spirit is Vergil. Apparently it's not working out)"
  • "As part of their tradition, the new Pope was to rest in the private room at the top floor of Fortuna castle (which was believed to have been Sparda's) in order to 'inherit' his 'noble soul', whatever that means."
  • "As sucky as this story is, there's still a piece of good news – Nero isn't convinced so neither should we! Yippee yay! =D"
  • "Yamato was known as the sword that "separates/divides humans from demons", whatever the hell that means."
  • "he kept his own consciousness pretty much by his sheer will to live and protect the one(s) he loves (LOL?)."
  • "How did he know they share the same blood? He just could feel it. LOL."
  • "why does he still have these three devil arms if Trish hadn't taken them away? Talk about plot holes."
  • ""Perhaps it was Sparda's whim of the moment... Just like his son." He thought. Wow... seriously... =/"
  • "During Dante's battle against the Savior, he took care of a bunch of Angelos simply by performing Pandora's Omen move and they vanished instantly. So… convenient…"
  • "Dante actually said (to himself) that in terms of brute power, Nero might just be stronger than him. Bullshit."
  • "[...] if by any chance they meant "the soul with a passion to hunt demons for the good of humankind", we should be prepared to quit this series."
  • "If you ask me, this has nothing to do with anything but Lady still deducted some money for this 'reason' anyway. Bitch is bitch.
    The ironic part, though, is that the novel keeps defending her and explains that Lady is indeed fussy about money but that is not because she is money minded. Reason is, unlike Dante and Trish, she really needs the money as she has no demonic powers and is fully reliant on her weapons to fight, and those things ain't cheap. Yes that does make sense, but it doesn't justify why she'd charge Dante/Trish for helping them save the people, especially when the novel goes on to say that she works a demon hunter not for money but because she hates demons with a passion. If that's the case, you wouldn't bloody charge your buddies for helping out as a demon hunter! What a bullshit of an excuse."
  • "Lady asked to join Dante and Trish in their new mission, she suggested they have a competition - the one who kills the most demons gets to take all the money she brought to the office today. That is the dumbest thing ever. How on earth can Lady ever beat a demon and a half demon?"
That does not help.

People latched onto that as "proof" for why the novel sucked, because even the person delivering it to them in ENG thought it was stupid, bullshit, ridiculous, plot-hole ridden. I'm not saying that people aren't adults that can't make their own decisions on whether or not to like something, but for the people that already didn't like the concept of the novel to begin with, they agreed with CaT because there was no impartiality to the translation. It was negative from the beginning.

With respect to the game as for getting proof Nero was Vergil's kid, it did a poor job portraying that Nero was connected to the Sparda lineage outside of physical looks. He had the strength feat of pushing the sword off of the Sparda statue and, if you count it, fighting toe to toe with Dante, but a) Dante was just "playing [him] from the beginning", and b) considering the stuff Lady could pull off even though it should be physically impossible for a normal human (see: surviving a fatal stab to her thigh that should have paralyzed her or bled her out), Nero could've just been "upper level human" instead of "1/4 demon".

There's also a bizarre leap in "Dante has no awakened DT, but can shrug off multiple stab wounds and still walk around with scythes embedded into him, and his DT is a full-body transformation like one his father presumably had" and "Nero has no awakened DT, gets stabbed once, is on death's door until he gets his DT and heals, then gets stabbed again on another occasion and is so drained of energy he needs the Yamato to even wake up and function normally, plus the DT is a ghost instead of full-body transformation". Nero is weak af in 4, and all that happened was a half-demon blood got cut in half again. If he had a son, that kid wouldn't even have a DT, probably, and his regeneration wouldn't even handle a papercut.

SOFT EDIT: I mean, if they wanted the game to at least suggest it outside of Sanctus saying so, they could've had the characters act like it. Not even Nero cares that Nero is Vergil's son. And yeah, Nero being Vergil's son is "obvious" now, but that makes it even worse. How could it not be obvious to the characters? Trish was infiltrating the Order, saw this white-haired punk, looked him dead in the eye, and didn't think "He's from the Sparda bloodline" and didn't relay that information to Dante? She got called out as "not anticipating" it. How? Nero wasn't some Dude McGuy with a dime-a-dozen features she could pass off as coming from someone else. White hair, blue eyes, pale skin, long coat. The character design screams "Dante clone" and Trish is blind somehow?

In terms of execution, Nero is like a terrible fanfiction OC. He exists, but with no regard as to how this affected the past games he would've already existed in. He was at least already born in DMC3. But the Vergil of that time, with having "fathering a child with a human woman" fresh in his personal timeline, would
a) still have "underestimate humans" as a character flaw deep enough for Arkham to exploit
b) casually kill a bunch of humans by raising a tower in a residential area, and if the tower's rise didn't kill them, the surge of demonic energy turning them into demons sure would have
c) "Why didn't you kill her? Perhaps because she's your daughter? Did some pesky 'fatherly love' get in the way?" "To further your study of the black arts, you sacrificed your loving wife to become a devil as well. Knowing this, I thought you'd be more useful to me, but I was wrong."
d) in case point c isn't clear, Vergil fully expects someone committed to the attainment of power to be able to kill their own flesh and blood. Fully knows that Arkham killed his wife, does not give one iota of a f#ck, called him out on not being ruthless enough.
e) somehow hold up through whatever Mundus put him through that ultimately broke or suppressed him, and undergoes this process without ever revealing he had a son.

Honestly, point e is the biggest problem IMO. Mundus captures Vergil, Vergil is defeated and brainwashed. Whether from torture or memory wipe, the specifics don't matter here. But Mundus hates the Sparda bloodline, would have killed them all when the kids were 8. No one thinks he would have gotten every last bit of information on if there was any of Sparda's blood left alive aside from Vergil? Like, he just found a Sparda. And Spardas are like roaches: you've seen one, there's probably more you don't know about. So he "broke" Vergil enough to take away his free will, but not enough to learn that Nero exists? Unless Vergil gave himself amnesia, or even he didn't know that he had a child, there’s no way Mundus wouldn't know about it. He had like, 9 years or so to find that out before Dante defeated him on Mallet.

Even keeping Nero's existence away from Arkham seems like a stretch. Arkham knows sh!t about Sparda it doesn't make sense to know, like who he impregnated and how many children he had, and treats it like a "legend"/"story". Highly unlikely that this is public knowledge or recorded in a book. He knew that Eva died 11 years before the manga in an inexplicable occurrence with a burned down house and signs of a struggle. He knew about the legend involving the priestess and knew that Lady would carry the same blood (either through him or his wife, depending on the source). But he wouldn't know that the guy he's talking to had a kid? His inexplicable "power of research" could've sussed out Vergil having Nero before Vergil even thought of having Nero.

In addition, pretty sure people should remember the various interviews where it seemed even the directors had no idea about the timeline. "Dante is 19 years old in DMC3" (Itsuno), "Nero is as old as Dante was in DMC3" (Kobayashi), "Lady appeared in 3, and now she’s about ten years older than she was in that one, but she’s grown up very nicely, as you’ll see." (Kobayashi). At least one of those things needed to be retconned after the fact (Tatsuya Yoshikawa saying in the 3142 artbook that 4Dante was "around 40 years old"), and even then it doesn't jive with the novel (Vergil visiting Fortuna "16-17 years" before DMC4, which would have placed his visit after he became Nelo Angelo in the timeline when he's obviously not, or Dante would be early 30s in 4 instead of "Almost 40" or "approaching 40").

And there was the problem with subtitles in the SE, increasing skepticism. "Fortuna, a few decades ago" in the ENG subtitles, versus German subs “Fortuna, over 10 years ago…” and the Japanese had

tumblr_inline_nrt3sqqYiW1rf8llf_500.png

“十数年前 , フォルトゥナ" = “jyuusuunen mae, Forutuna” = “Fortuna, over a decade ago” = “Fortuna, 10 years give or take a few months”, or more liberally, “10 plus a couple more years”, whereas ‘a few decades’ would have been rendered in JP as ‘suujyuunen’ (数十年) rather than ‘jyuusuunen’, making Vergil's visit too recent for Nero's age.
Okay, I get why you were ****ed off and bitter in the ranting thread, but I really wished you saved that bitterness for this kind of post. Right there.

I don't know how you got all this information and structured it exactly this way. It sounds like you know a lot about the series than you let on. :)

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Well now we have to see what the game actually has to offer in terms of explaining things.

Considering that they’re now going with whatever they’ve said in the Novels and Anime as canon.

BoBo

What do you mean? He does react to it. After the initial surprise, he also seems to start to assume Nero is one of the ascended members of the Order ("So you too are a...") before getting interrupted.

If you mean he doesn't recognize it as some kind of tie to Vergil, I don't see why he should have. Vergil never had (or at least showed) powers specifically related to his arms.

I was referring to mission ten (iirc) where nero and dante duke it off. Before the fight Nero devil triggers and Dante sees his brother's DT image behind Nero and says or does nothing worthwhile. He also says that Yamato's gotta "stay in the family".

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Let's be honest here.

When the only translation for something people want to know more about opens its page with

"Warning: Reading this novel may be hazardous to your mind, body and soul.
Devil's Lair will not take responsibility for any trauma you may suffer. "

That does not help.

When the summary has sh!t like
  • "My god… can you ever imagine Vergil impregnating a human woman?!"
  • "I mean just think about it, really. Majestic beetle-looking cool demon with a kick ass giant sword… and a handgun. That… is… so… awesome…! *Shoots you if you agree*."
  • "Since when does Nero read??"
  • "He came into the scene to save Kyrie and a bunch of orphans she brought for a walk in the forest (LOL?)"
  • "He figured that perhaps this arm is now how it originally should have been, just like how a caterpillar transforms into a pupa and then a butterfly. (Yeah he made this analogy, not me!) He thought that perhaps he had simply reached that time in his life to be who he really was. o_O… Okay…?? LOL."
  • "The novel wrote it this way: "the cry of a soul that only one of the same blood origin can detect". (WTF LOOOL)"
  • "(Goddamn Capcom, they really wanna make it official that Vergil's dead.) This, my friend, is how Capcom/Bingo wants us to welcome Nero into the Sparda family. *Spazzes out*"
  • ""Can you hear it, the cry of a soul?" (LMAO)"
  • "*GASP* It's Nero soul…! Best. Idea. Ever. (Sorry for those of you who believe the handsome blue spirit is Vergil. Apparently it's not working out)"
  • "As part of their tradition, the new Pope was to rest in the private room at the top floor of Fortuna castle (which was believed to have been Sparda's) in order to 'inherit' his 'noble soul', whatever that means."
  • "As sucky as this story is, there's still a piece of good news – Nero isn't convinced so neither should we! Yippee yay! =D"
  • "Yamato was known as the sword that "separates/divides humans from demons", whatever the hell that means."
  • "he kept his own consciousness pretty much by his sheer will to live and protect the one(s) he loves (LOL?)."
  • "How did he know they share the same blood? He just could feel it. LOL."
  • "why does he still have these three devil arms if Trish hadn't taken them away? Talk about plot holes."
  • ""Perhaps it was Sparda's whim of the moment... Just like his son." He thought. Wow... seriously... =/"
  • "During Dante's battle against the Savior, he took care of a bunch of Angelos simply by performing Pandora's Omen move and they vanished instantly. So… convenient…"
  • "Dante actually said (to himself) that in terms of brute power, Nero might just be stronger than him. Bullshit."
  • "[...] if by any chance they meant "the soul with a passion to hunt demons for the good of humankind", we should be prepared to quit this series."
  • "If you ask me, this has nothing to do with anything but Lady still deducted some money for this 'reason' anyway. Bitch is bitch.
    The ironic part, though, is that the novel keeps defending her and explains that Lady is indeed fussy about money but that is not because she is money minded. Reason is, unlike Dante and Trish, she really needs the money as she has no demonic powers and is fully reliant on her weapons to fight, and those things ain't cheap. Yes that does make sense, but it doesn't justify why she'd charge Dante/Trish for helping them save the people, especially when the novel goes on to say that she works a demon hunter not for money but because she hates demons with a passion. If that's the case, you wouldn't bloody charge your buddies for helping out as a demon hunter! What a bullshit of an excuse."
  • "Lady asked to join Dante and Trish in their new mission, she suggested they have a competition - the one who kills the most demons gets to take all the money she brought to the office today. That is the dumbest thing ever. How on earth can Lady ever beat a demon and a half demon?"
That does not help.

People latched onto that as "proof" for why the novel sucked, because even the person delivering it to them in ENG thought it was stupid, bullshit, ridiculous, plot-hole ridden. I'm not saying that people aren't adults that can't make their own decisions on whether or not to like something, but for the people that already didn't like the concept of the novel to begin with, they agreed with CaT because there was no impartiality to the translation. It was negative from the beginning.

This is exactly why I wanted an actual english translation of the DMC4 novels.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
This is exactly why I wanted an actual english translation of the DMC4 novels.
/watch?v=jQE66WA2s-A

On-topic: If someone had the time and ability to translate this, I'm sure they could make the effort. It's not easy though.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
/watch?v=jQE66WA2s-A

On-topic: If someone had the time and ability to translate this, I'm sure they could make the effort. It's not easy though.
:laugh: That video gave me a good laugh! Man it's been a while since anyone brought up All Your Base. I thought it went the way of The Game.

On-topic: Anyone that good at something shouldn't do it for free. Besides, Capcom should've cared enough to translate the DMC4 Novel to bring it to NA/EU audiences to begin with. Relying on JP-only material for their canon and expecting everyone else to understand it is bad form. Even Square had enough sense to re-release their older handheld Kingdom Hearts titles into the main consoles.... not that it helps much for the plot, considering it's KH. But Capcom's deal is more like a 500 piece puzzle but some of the corner/edge pieces are missing and a couple more ended up in someone's breakfast cereal.

Anyway, an actual translation for the novel is what we need. Now that Tokyopop is gone for good, we could get something good quality and not the dumpster fire that was the DMC3 Manga.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Chances are we won't be dealing much with Nero's mom. We might get a broad strokes info dump on who she was, Vergil might refer to her in a cutscene, maybe a flashback but I wouldn't expect more.

maybe a flashback dlc? I imagine she's dead so she probably wouldn't have much a role in the modern day.

Last edited:

outoftheblue

Whilst I definitely agree that Nero looks too old to be Vergil's son, the possibility of Sparda having other kids always felt too "Ehhh" to me since Dante and Vergil were always hyped up as the "Sons of Sparda" that is would feel really weird to bring in another love child this late in the game.

But no matters, at least it's being officially acknowledged now.
Yeah, Nero looked too old to be his son in DMC4, but with the glimpse we got of Dante in this one, I see no problem at all. Am I the only one who thinks Dante looks pretty old in the trailer, like grandpa old?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Am I the only one who thinks Dante looks pretty old in the trailer, like grandpa old?
It's probably the fact that his hair is a more muted grey rather than the bright white it was in prior games and since his facial hair is the same color it makes him look a lot older than his face would otherwise suggest.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
why couldn't we have something like that in the actual game Capcom!!! :'(
I can't state my thoughts here, but you can probably guess what I think of this (PM me if you're really that curious).

Anyway, this proves that Nero's DT is Vergil's soul and NOT Nero's like the novel suggested.

This is really important. If nothing else, everyone should just completely disregard that part of the book.

It's Vergil. Case closed.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Man, they really made the Dante/Agnus fight look a lot more badass than it actually was. :tongue:

But yeah, that scene with Nero's Devil Trigger and the spirit is actually Vergil helping him - why couldn't we have something like that in the actual game Capcom!!! :'(
There was! You just can't see the detail because of the hardware.

But yeah, the graphics are awesome. I wish that was a game. :cool:

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I can't state my thoughts here, but you can probably guess what I think of this (PM me if you're really that curious).

Anyway, this proves that Nero's DT is Vergil's soul and NOT Nero's like the novel suggested.

This is really important. If nothing else, everyone should just completely disregard that part of the book.

It's Vergil. Case closed.
I don't think that a Pachinko is canon in the slightest though

Keaton

Premium

Officially standing, previously Capcom confirmed that anything outside the main games and DLC, beside the DMC1 light novel and the DMC4 (Deadly Fortune) novel is concidered outside of canon.

Still, don't think they had a stance on Pachinko machines, though I'd lean into: outside canon.

More so on recent point as to whom the DT spirit belongs to, I would again lean on Nero: Vergil doesn't seem likely volunteer to be a puppet for someone elses gain ^_^.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Vergil doesn't seem likely volunteer to be a puppet for someone elses gain ^_^.
Wasn't he... Mundus' puppet?

Also, if you're going to consider everything in the novel as canon, then wouldn't Nero, who Dante considers as a "stronger" individual (from a brute force perspective due to his stronger magical energy) have the ability to (unconsciously) force Vergil to fuse with his DT?

Edit: Whether he did it voluntarily or not is besides the point. Vergil was under Mundus' control. So, it's not too big of a stretch to say the same thing about Nero when you take Dante's own admission of weakness into account. Dante had greater control of his power than both Vergil or Nero. But Nero just happens to be stronger than both (in the novel).

Didn't Vergil (voluntarily) give up the Force Edge when he lost to Dante?

Who's to say he didn't do the same thing with his soul (and the Yamato), but then go back on his deal because he changed his mind?

Whether Nelo Angelo was conscious of what he was doing or not, he still communicated to Dante in-game (through demonic grunts that only demons can speak apparently), which meant he knew what he was doing on some level (albeit under the "demonic drug" influence of Mundus' power-flow from hell).

So, either he was completely ignorant, or he had a say in what was going on, broke free (impossible to do if you're completely zombified) from both Nero and Mundus, and took back his literal "Devil Arm".

Think whatever you want.

Last edited:

DarkSlayer54

Who's to say he didn't do the same thing with his soul (and the Yamato), but then go back on his deal because he changed his mind?

Whether Nelo Angelo was conscious of what he was doing or not, he still communicated to Dante in-game (through demonic grunts that only demons can speak apparently), which meant he knew what he was doing on some level (albeit under the "demonic drug" influence of Mundus' power-flow from hell).

So, either he was completely ignorant, or he had a say in what was going on, broke free (impossible to do if you're completely zombified) from both Nero and Mundus, and took back his literal "Devil Arm".

You know, that makes me wonder... Nelo Angelo is just a fraction of Vergil, so what if the rest of his soul remained in Yamato?

Vergil has a clear motive for wanting Nero's arm, to get his Yamato back... but what if it's more than that? What if he takes the arm so he can become one again with the rest of his soul? That could be used to accelerate his recovery from his corrupt state, as far as the story goes.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@DarkSlayer54

That's a good theory. In fact, that might end up being Vergil's endgame for all we know.

I wouldn't trust Capcom to write up such a good motive though (yet). We'll have to wait and see.

Top Bottom