• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory Isn’t Working on Anything Else DmC Related, “Nor is Anything Planned”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixbran

Smashing~
  • PlayStation Lifestyle Article:

With the DmC Devil May Cry Definitive Edition finished, developer Ninja Theory isn’t planning on creating anything else for the Devil May Cry IP, with Product Development Manager Dominic Matthews telling God is a Geek:
    We’re not working on anything else DmC related, nor is anything planned. Devil May Cry is Capcom’s IP, so whether they draw a line under DmC is up to them.

Seeing the Definitive Edition as a “no-brainer” since it allowed them to revisit the game and improve it, Matthews says, “There is a lot in Definitive Edition that is there because the community asked for it.”

With the studio currently working on Hellblade for the PlayStation 4 and PC, Matthews talked about the challenges of creating a new AAA IP in today’s market:
    It is very difficult to create a new IP in the AAA market right now. The sheer number of players that a $60 game has to be sold to in order to be justified means that only the safest of bets will be placed by publishers. Players want more creativity in their games, more genres and more new IP, but the reality is that an established IP comes with an audience whereas a new IP has to build one from scratch. New AAA IP has to be backed to a phenomenal level to stand a chance and there aren’t many publishers willing to do that in the current market.

The difference between Hellblade and any AAA development is that we’re attempting to deliver AAA quality but under an independent model. We have a far smaller budget and a far smaller team. But because our costs are lower we don’t have to sell to millions of people to justify the investment. Hellblade needs to sell around 300,000 copies for it to break-even vs the many millions that a $60 retail AAA game needs to sell in order for the development costs alone to be covered.
    Next up for the Devil May Cry franchise is the Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition this Summer.
I know the article it self is fairly old, but still, I just found it and thought it worth sharing.

FANMADE_Rainbow_Dash_best_day_ever.gif

Last edited:

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Wow trading the rebooted crap series for the original crap series. Impressive. Will they be continuing the embarrassing anime trash of DMC4 or will they actually choose quality over quantity this time?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
well To be honest I was interested in seeing what NT could pull off with a DmC2, DmC ended with a Dante more akin to DMC1 Dante so I felt that NT really could have won some of the fans over with a DmC2.

But having said that a DMC5 seems more likely now which I would much prefer over a DmC2.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I have no clue why some people here think the two incarnations are somehow competing against each other where they are all part of the same franchise. That's how Capcom themselves see it.

As for E3, I'm fairly sure it's just SE stuff. Capcom's gonna be putting a lot of attention on Street Fighter V because that's a big one for them.

trickSTAR

Devil May Sexy
the fact that there are no more plans for DmC games means capcom can focus on the main DMC series. Don't focus on continuing a reboot of a series when people still are fondly attached to the original version.
?

Capcom is dumping out DMC4SE as a digital only game on Batman day. They really don't care.

Even at budget pricing, it likely won't meet their 2 million+ sales requirement. They probably want 4 million+ since it's selling at a low price. They'll end up saying that lax sales with cheap pricing are proof that not enough support the series and DMC will be the new Mega Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom