• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nice to meet you guys I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuodan

Present Day. Present Time.
Hello everyone. It might sound weird or funny to you but I've been regularly checking on this forum since a year ago, reading through your conversations. I've always been a slothful person myself so creating an account and joining your talks always seemed a bit...well, let's just say I always found an excuse not to create an account.

However, since the good news of DMC4: SE arrived, I couldn't hold myself much longer. Here I am! I'm sure I'll enjoy our time together and I hope you enjoy it as well.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Hi there!

As you've already been browsing our site for some time. I'm inclined to welcome you now not as a forum lurker, but as a forum member.

Enjoy your time here :happy:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I'd recommend joining a different forum. Over the past few months, I've seen some moderators excuse hating, and there's a strange reticence towards punishing forum members who spoil the atmosphere (with hating, trolling, or whatever else). I thought it was kind of weird that members got promoted to moderators in the first place -- it just makes it all the more likely that the moderator will be biased in their dealings with members, since they used to be members themselves and like to remain 'friends' with everybody rather than being their superiors (to moderate the site).

And then the people who point out the hating and complain about it... well, *they* get punished for speaking their mind, even if they simply speak their mind on their own profile page, without forcing anyone to read it. They get punished for getting angry, and the one(s) who made them angry get off scot-free. It's an upside down world on this forum. I got banned for two weeks, with a message saying I had gotten three warnings (I only got one).
There's also a very strange atmosphere here that looms over you, where any criticism you give of DmC: Devil May Cry is (often) met with instant bashing of the classic DMC games. Or just 'counter-criticism' towards DMC. Because some members here seem to think it's all a competition, or rather, a fight; a fight between DmC and classic DMC. Frankly, I got sick of it after having to stomach it for a year.

So yeah, even though there's not as much hating as before, I'm advising you to join a site where everybody's still respectful, and those who aren't are barred entry (as it should be). A site where you can share your opinion without it getting cursed at with ignorant remarks. I'm not gonna advertize for any specific site, but GameFaqs is decent, and 'darkslayerscave' at freeforums.net is even better, though undermanned.

If you still want to stay here, I suggest putting Chancey289, Vergilius, and maybe TheFinalOffer on your ignore list in advance. Still, there's gonna be a lot of ignorance coming your way. But good luck, and have a good time anyway!

Viper

Premium
@Lord Nero
Dude, that was mean. There are nice people here, and situation is gradually getting better. And if one doesn't like how they are treated on main forum, there is still plenty of awesome people more than open for a private conversation.
We're never going to make this forum work if you're going to chase people away like this.

@Wuodan
Don't listen to that Grouchy Smurf above me, stick around, reach out to people and we promise you a good time. :)

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
@Lord Nero
Dude, that was mean. There are nice people here, and situation is gradually getting better. And if one doesn't like how they are treated on main forum, there is still plenty of awesome people more than open for a private conversation.
We're never going to make this forum work if you're going to chase people away like this.

@Wuodan
Don't listen to that Grouchy Smurf above me, stick around, reach out to people and we promise you a good time. :)
I never implied there aren't nice people here. I'm just saying that the downsides of the forum outweighed the upsides for me personally. There's two or three members here I can't stand, and they made my time on the forum a living hell. Plus one mod who seems biased to me. I never said everybody on this forum was ignorant or a hater, or anything like that.
So... sorry, but I'm not being mean. I'm just giving my impression of what the forum is like, so that this new member can have an idea of what to expect. The forum is a decent place, but some people completely ruined it for me. Just sharing my experience.

''We're never going to make this forum work if you're going to chase people away like this.''
It's not my job or my responsibilty to make this forum work, nor is it yours. It's the admins' and moderators' job. If there's huge problems here, they need to fix them. It's kind of sad to hear that *we* are now expected to run the site and keep it from going into dire straits.
Besides, this forum already 'works'. Just recently there were talks of expanding to another site, so what are you talking about ''we're never going to make this forum work''?

I'm just advising him/her on what to do if they can't handle hating very well, like me. If they can handle it, and doesn't care about other people's ignorant comments, no problem. I personally just get ticked off whenever I see people being stubborn and sticking to ignorance.
I even literally told him/her to have a good time here if they did want to stay: ''But good luck, and have a good time anyway!''

I didn't mean my comment in a destructive way, I'm just voicing my thoughts.

@Lord Nero

@Wuodan
Also, private conversations really don't take the problem away. Hating and hateful trolling is inexcusable, and they cause anger that a simple conversation can't usually mend (though I acknowledge that whether or not it relieves the problem depends on the forum member). Aside from that, plenty of people don't even have time to talk with other members about their feelings, or don't want to.
The best thing to do would be to remove the root of the problem, to ban the user who's doing the hating/insulting. That, or to change their mindset so that they'll stop hating/insulting. That hasn't happened on this forum yet though, which is why I'm advising that new member to join a different forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viper

Premium
@Lord Nero

A forum with few active people is not a forum, it's a barren land. If you plant the seed of paranoia in people from the start, how is this supposed to grow into a big, healthy community?

I don't think you've noticed, but those members you named actually got slapped on the wrist not so long ago. There were no official warnings, and I think maybe one in total actually learned from it, but it proves moderators have their eyes open for anyone's bad behavior. You just need to report it.

Demons would never advise running as solution, let this devil tell you something - best revenge is having one hell of a party and not paying trolls any attention.

If they do get frustrated by a troll, I'm always open for a talk. We can plot their murder together and have the harmless fantasy fix our mood.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
@Lord Nero

A forum with few active people is not a forum, it's a barren land. If you plant the seed of paranoia in people from the start, how is this supposed to grow into a big, healthy community?

I don't think you've noticed, but those members you named actually got slapped on the wrist not so long ago. There were no official warnings, and I think maybe one in total actually learned from it, but it proves moderators have their eyes open for anyone's bad behavior. You just need to report it.

Demons would never advise running as solution, let this devil tell you something - best revenge is having one hell of a party and not paying trolls any attention.

If they do get frustrated by a troll, I'm always open for a talk. We can plot their murder together and have the harmless fantasy fix our mood.
I feel like you're demonizing me. I'm not planting the seed of paranoia, there is no paranoia in what I'm saying. Getting paranoid would be their own problem. I'm giving an account of my experience with this website, three of its users and one of its moderators. Like I said, this forum already 'works'. Just recently there were talks of expanding to another site, so what are you talking about ''we're never going to make this forum work''?

I've reported things multiple times, nothing was ever done about it. Users like Chancey have been hating for years, and it's caused people to leave the forum. Even if you ignore them, they'll still try to talk sh** about you behind your back, or they'll obviously reply to you, causing you to need to refute their comments again, otherwise your status on the forum might get threatened because people believe their accusations. Thus rendering the whole point of ignoring void.
Them getting 'slapped on the wrist' is not good enough. They keep going on with the hating, one or two users keep trolling, and only the most egregious examples of their behavior ever get penalized. One or two moderators treating me, Lord Dante, Innsmouth or any other users as the instigators, when we're the ones who got hated on, is inexcusable. Yes, we get angry because of some users' behavior... we're only human. One moderator's response? ''Grow thicker skin''. It's insulting.
And then when you point out how you think it's insulting or unfair to Steve, that same biased moderator is invited to the conversation to fix the problem, even though they were part of the problem themselves.

I'm just giving my account of my experience here, and if the new member's anything like me, I advise staying away from the forum. It's not like this forum'll crumble just because I told one member to find an alternative forum. :laugh:

Nah, best revenge is doing a stylish 'report' combo on their asses... if only it had any effect. But I respect your opinion, and I'm sure the new user will take your advice to heart too. After all, I doubt he/she's as easily angered as I am.

berto

I Saw the Devil
This thread is one that was made for a person who just became a member. It's here for him to introduce himself and for us to welcome him, NOT to rant and complain about all the things you don't like about the forum or the staff that maintains it or anything else for that matter. Take it outside and PM.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Lord Nero: Okay I have to stop you there. Let me just say that I have never seen anybody greet a new member here in the same manner as you have just done. And personally between you and me, opinions are sometimes just opinions that can be better left unheard. Because honestly despite you not liking certain members (who have been warned and are susceptible to a temp-ban just like anybody else here is) I do not see those you've mentioned spreading negative remarks about the place about you. I don't see them brandishing their opinion of you in the same way by passing their thoughts and feelings as to how they view you on to others. So really in that respect I don't find it very becoming for you to do such a thing and elicit your points in this manner.

They have clearly stated that they have viewed forum content - threads, posts, conversations etc as a non registered member of this forum. So it was honestly within their own decision to join up and create an account. I'd assume that if they thought the same way in which you do, they would perhaps of had second thoughts about registering. Alas they did not, so we go back to the area which I mentioned earlier which was 'some opinions are better left unheard'.

In regards to moderators, I have already previously addressed that we are NOT biased. We take into consideration everybody's feelings and we deal with situations fairly. We have stepped in where and when needed. We have given warnings, non official and official. And we have issued a few people with temp-bans, albeit they have gained enough official warnings. These are rules and guidelines we have stuck to and whether you view us as doing our jobs competently or not it is not in the slightest bit any of your business or anyone else's for that matter. No disrespect but I must stress that we are unbiased when it comes to handling those who are in the wrong, friends of ours or not. Each and every member is dealt with equally and accordingly.

Now I suggest we all move along and accept that Wuodan has decided to join up here and welcome them more appropriately. I do not wish for this particular incident to be discussed further. I have made all my relevant points clear.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Hello everyone. It might sound weird or funny to you but I've been regularly checking on this forum since a year ago, reading through your conversations. I've always been a slothful person myself so creating an account and joining your talks always seemed a bit...well, let's just say I always found an excuse not to create an account.

However, since the good news of DMC4: SE arrived, I couldn't hold myself much longer. Here I am! I'm sure I'll enjoy our time together and I hope you enjoy it as well.
Welcome to the other side. Hope we didn't scare you. It's lovely here most of the time, though sometimes I'm told that I don't understand and something about been an honest man.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I'd recommend joining a different forum. Over the past few months, I've seen some moderators excuse hating, and there's a strange reticence towards punishing forum members who spoil the atmosphere (with hating, trolling, or whatever else). I thought it was kind of weird that members got promoted to moderators in the first place -- it just makes it all the more likely that the moderator will be biased in their dealings with members, since they used to be members themselves and like to remain 'friends' with everybody rather than being their superiors (to moderate the site).

There is no excusing hating its called being respectful of everyones opinion and if they can voice an opinion in a mature manner (which you simply can not) then everyones opinion is welcome. Members (like you) who spoil the atmosphere with a hostile tone to every post are punished. Members who are mature, level headed and help a lot have been promoted to staff as they know the community and are a part of this community too and have proved themselves here. Its not that they remain friends and are biased with members but that they havent always been 'superiors' here and are more on the members level too.

Lord Nero said:
And then the people who point out the hating and complain about it... well, *they* get punished for speaking their mind, even if they simply speak their mind on their own profile page, without forcing anyone to read it. They get punished for getting angry, and the one(s) who made them angry get off scot-free. It's an upside down world on this forum. I got banned for two weeks, with a message saying I had gotten three warnings (I only got one).

No-one is punished for speaking their mind so long as they are mature about it and refrain from flaming or hate filled comments (again which you did not). Also you did have 3 warnings...

Lord Nero said:
There's also a very strange atmosphere here that looms over you, where any criticism you give of DmC: Devil May Cry is (often) met with instant bashing of the classic DMC games. Or just 'counter-criticism' towards DMC. Because some members here seem to think it's all a competition, or rather, a fight; a fight between DmC and classic DMC. Frankly, I got sick of it after having to stomach it for a year.

Some people like one, some people like another and some people like both so there are always going to be difference in opinion. Again so long as its mature then thats welcome but flaming and arguing is not and you spent half your time here involved in 'counter criticism' conversations....

Lord Nero said:
I'm advising you to join a site where everybody's still respectful, and those who aren't are barred entry (as it should be). A site where you can share your opinion without it getting cursed at with ignorant remarks. I'm not gonna advertize for any specific site, but GameFaqs is decent, and 'darkslayerscave' at freeforums.net is even better, though undermanned.

Respectful members are welcomed and those that arent are banned (like yourself). Also you werent going to advertise any particular site but then advertised 3... you seem to contradict yourself a lot.

Lord Nero said:
If you still want to stay here, I suggest putting Chancey289, Vergilius, and maybe TheFinalOffer on your ignore list in advance. Still, there's gonna be a lot of ignorance coming your way. But good luck, and have a good time anyway!

Its exactly these personal vendettas that got you warned and banned in the first place as everyone who disagreed with you, you ended up making things personal with and then trying to get them in trouble for every post they made that you personally didnt agree with.

Bottom line is that respectful, mature members are welcomed and those that cause more trouble than they are worth are not, so feel free to go to one of these forums you listed as your attitude is no longer welcome here. If your comments on those forums are the same as some of them on here then I expect you may soon start to run out of forums who want you there. Can see you spending a lot of forum time crying foul in the near future...

Bottom line is, if you act like a d***, prepare to get the reputation of being a d***.

Indeed and that memory will remain... :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom