• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Newbie - Will I understand DMC4 if it's my first?

WolfpupNX

Hi all,

Newbie - never played a Devil May Cry game before (though always thought they looked pretty sweet). Decided to try the demo and really have had a blast with it (even got a controller for my PC). I'm really thinking about picking this title up.

One question though - having not ever played DMC 1-3, do they make the story accessible? IE, will I feel lost the whole game, or does it stand pretty well on its own? I'm really hoping the latter as I'd love to get into this universe, and I quite enjoyed the demo's cutscene (especially Berial's).

The only other thing is I'm wondering how long it will take me to learn the various combos and such I need. I've gotten some down with Nero but feel I have a long way to go (though I did end up beating Berial in the end - hehe). Does the game teach these along the way, or do you have to discover them all on your own? (I'm sure there are lists out there.)

Thanks for any feedback!

harrycombs

I never played a DMC game before this, and you'll understand the story pretty well.

Also, after purchasing a skill, you can view how to do any combo in the skill list. You can access it by pressing start while in the game, and its one of the options if I remember correctly. You can also look at the skills in library area in the mission select screen.

Koemi

half-breed
First, welcome aboard! And frankly, DMC 4 is my first DMC game as well, and I am seriously in love with the game now - bought DMC 5th anniversary edition right after and the anime, manga and novels :D And I wasn't even an action-adventure, "beat'm up" games addict to begin with. Storyline is pretty simple to follow; try to go over the gamespot guide and/or youtube vids to get some ideas.

And one thing I learned about DMC series: you have to replay missions and a mode called "bloody palace" gazillion times. These will earn you the currency "red orbs" (for item purchase) and "proud souls" (for skill upgrades). You won't feel redundant, however, as you can work your way up the stylish meter as you replay - and that's the fun part of the game ;)

Veterans here had been doing some pretty amazing stuffs (styles and achievements) with DMC series so it's a rather solid proof that this game has endless replaying value ;)

Saix

Devil's Advocate
Yeah, you'll understand it but I guess you won't have the "whoa, look at dante... whoa, whose this nero guy..." thoughts...

Pick the other ones up after and see where all the obsession started

Ryuuji

Dark slayer
Saix;116129 said:
Yeah, you'll understand it but I guess you won't have the "whoa, look at dante... whoa, whose this nero guy..." thoughts...

Pick the other ones up after and see where all the obsession started

exactly
and welcom to the froum

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
http://devilschapel.com/ There's alot of good and legit info on that site. There are more formidable sorces of info around, but in all honesty I don't feel like finding them at the moment. ^^ Sorry just got offa work and im about to go to bed. (Also check out the extra links on that site.)

But anyways, id say play part 3 first or buy the pack with the first 3 for like 40 bucks. A brand new DMC3SE is only $20. DMC4 is okayish, (In my opinion.) but trust me babe, 3 is far more worth your time. Im not saying don't buy or play 4, I just feel that you will get a better understanding of the series if you experience one of the first 3 rather than just reading about them.

It's up to you hun, either spend about $40 on the first 3 and enjoy 3 kick ass games (...Well, maybe like 2 cuz part 2 wasn't all that.>_>) Or you can spend a little over the same amount for one, part 4. Either way I wish you a good time. ^^

BTW, if you decide to play 4 first, don't feel bad if you're left in the dark with what's going on, cuz even the fans that have been playing DMC since the first one came out no longer have a clue about what's going on in the series anymore. XD

WolfpupNX

Thanks for all the great responses all!

One clarification - I'm on a PC (haven't had a console since the SNES days - not opposed to them; just always been a PC gamer personally). So if anything, the only one I'd really have available to play before this one would be 3, which could be tempting. Can anybody tell me if it runs okay on Vista 64 tho' (don't see a demo anywhere)?

Other than that, I'm pretty pleased to hear 4 works pretty well standalone, and maybe playing 3 would give me a bit more story to enjoy. (And if its not compatible, sounds like I'll at least do alright with 4 only).

Also, much appreciation for the warm wishes. I can tell a lot of care, just from the demo, is put into the game and universe - it's saying something that I actually bought a 360 controller just for the demo. lol. (Keyboard just wasn't cutting it, though I didn't do too badly.)

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Im sorry I can't help you with info on the PC version, I worship my PS2 and can't recall ever playing a game other than solitaire on the computer.

lawltank

I myself have only played DMC3 and 4 due to that fact that I'm a PC gamer like you. I can tell you from personal preference that DMC3:SE is pretty unstable on the PC compared to DMC4. However, it is still playable because I played through it and got to DMD mode.

It may have been my computer at the time anyway to be honest. What happened was that one day, my save file for DMC3 got corrupted and I was unable to continue. =\ So yeah...it is not as 'stable' or well sync'd for the PC as DMC4 is, but you should be able to run it fine.

And for your information, I play DMC with my keyboard lol.

Kite

Shadow DMC Player
Vergilissexy;116139 said:
http://devilschapel.com/ There's alot of good and legit info on that site. There are more formidable sorces of info around, but in all honesty I don't feel like finding them at the moment. ^^ Sorry just got offa work and im about to go to bed. (Also check out the extra links on that site.)

But anyways, id say play part 3 first or buy the pack with the first 3 for like 40 bucks. A brand new DMC3SE is only $20. DMC4 is okayish, (In my opinion.) but trust me babe, 3 is far more worth your time. Im not saying don't buy or play 4, I just feel that you will get a better understanding of the series if you experience one of the first 3 rather than just reading about them.

It's up to you hun, either spend about $40 on the first 3 and enjoy 3 kick ass games (...Well, maybe like 2 cuz part 2 wasn't all that.>_>) Or you can spend a little over the same amount for one, part 4. Either way I wish you a good time. ^^

BTW, if you decide to play 4 first, don't feel bad if you're left in the dark with what's going on, cuz even the fans that have been playing DMC since the first one came out no longer have a clue about what's going on in the series anymore. XD

i totally agree me i'm a veteran
and i reccomend playing DMC 3 not DMC 3 SE because that version is a lot easier than DMC 3 and the fights with Vergil are harder than hell but as well and u could start with DMC 4 and work ur way back but i wouldn't either way welcome to the forums and welcome to the legacy known as Devil May Cry

WolfpupNX

Thanks again for all the great responses! Think I'll pick up 3 and 4 and start with 3 - hopefully can get it stable.

Still playing the DMC4 demo - finally getting a feel for beating Berial (he's certainly tough til you get his weaknesses down).

Janny

Dines with dementia
^ Glad to hear you're thinking of playing DMC3 first. You'll be able to understand some stuff better too (about Yamato etc). Games are always best to play in the right order, believe me. I played MGS2 the first and then MGS1 and half of the time they always mention stuff happening in previous titles, grr...

maSu

i played dmc4 without knowing anything about the dmc-story...

its a nice game and there is no problem @understanding the story.

WolfpupNX

Yeah, I think if DMC3 is available I might as well play it first. =o)

I'm getting a little nervous about controlling Dante - from what I hear, he's much more complicated than Nero to control? hehe. But I'm sure I can figure it out in time.

lawltank

Yeah...he is a bit harder to play in DMC4. In DMC3, it's ok because the area you fight enemies in is usually relatively small (unlike DMC4) so Dante is much much easier to handle.

WolfpupNX

Well, I ordered Devil May Cry 3 SE as well as 4. (It appears SE is the only version available for the PC). So I'm definitely going to play 'em. I know there are several patches for 3 so hopefully I can get it stable.

Other than that, think I've found most of Nero's moves in the demo and am getting pretty good at both of them. The only one I'm unsure of is the one called Roulette Spin. From what I've read, you hit the sword twice, pause, and once again in the air, but he doesn't seem to be doing anything differently than repeatedly hitting the attack for me it seems... (Though maybe in the demo he doesn't have that ability yet?)

I do have a question though. From what I understand, in 3 and 4, you can choose which character you play. Does the story progress differently depending on character? Do you alternate with different levels, or should you play the game through twice with each? *confused* Just wondering how it works.

Koemi

half-breed
There was another person asking a similar question on 4, and the answer to that is no - you can only use Nero at Nero's mission, and Dante at Dante's mission no matter how many modes you completed. The character-choosing is only for choices of Super Nero/Dante (unlimited DT but no health regen), Super Nero/Dante auto, norm. Nero/Dante, norm. Nero/Dante auto. You'll get the Super character after beating DMD mode.

In DMC 3 SE, you can play as Vergil after you completed the story as Dante once (easy does it); but you do need to start a new save file for that. Story is basically the same though... :|

If you're satisfied with Nero's move in just the demo, you'll love the rest - just remember you'll need plenty of replays to get enough orbs/souls to get the skills you need ;) Good luck!

Sparda™

Devil May Cry 3: SE, is the best way for beginners and amateurs to get started with, gameplay-wise and storyline-wise.;)

Top Bottom