• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Dante=......Nero?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Lol at his comment about wanting the power to be good-looking....XD Oh, Johnny.
This the voice cast for Persona 4 "Vanilla" (2008 Version)

Erin Fitzgerald is Chie Satonaka instead of Tracey Rooney.
The voice cast for P4 Golden (this is the official canon version; which means that P4 Arena and its sequel Ultimax -- and P4 Animation for that matter -- is not canon) had its voice cast changed a little.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Megami-Tensei/Chie-Satonaka/

And Sam Riegel (known as "Kuma" (Bear) in Japan) is now Teddie (Eden Riegel's brother -- E.R. was cast as "Marie", a completely new character in P4G).

These changes have been made since the first Persona 4 Arena, which means they've all gotten a lot of work since.

So, to recap.

P4 Vanilla (old cast)

New Cast: [In Chronological Order]

Persona 4 Arena [Summer 2012] [Now officially made non-canon]

Persona 4 The Animation [Autumn and Winter of 2012 -- and Early 2013] [Troy Baker was switched out for Matthew Mercer in this one; I think it's because TB had to do the Joker for Arkham Origins while this was being done -- conflicting schedules.] [officially non-canon]

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Megami-Tensei/Kanji-Tatsumi/

Matthew Mercer sounds exactly like TB. I didn't even know the difference until I saw the credits. Awesome.

Persona 4 Golden [November 2012] [Official Canon Version]

Persona 4 Ultimax [Fall 2014] [Non-canon but who cares because it has almost the entire cast of P3 FES (P3 FES is the official P3 Canon story whereas P3 Vanilla and P3 Portable is non-canon]

Persona Q [Definitely Non-Canon because there's no way that this, Arena and Ultimax could have happened and no one remembers each other... however, it does have Marie in it, so it's Canon-non-canon] [2014]

****Aneurysm**** >_<

Persona Dancing All Night [Horrendous Slash Fiction with Yu, Rise, Kanamin... and Teddie] [2014]

[Kanamin was Rise's rival; they were both Idol Celebrities.]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't think that the Persona storyline is somehow the new MGS. That's a whole other debate I'd rather not get into, and besides, unlike the MGS series, it does make sense if you know all the details, whereas MGS keeps adding new games to its past storyline.

Even Kojima admitted in an interview (back in 2007, I think) that he had a hard time keeping up with the story. No, I honestly think that there's no damn excuse for that.

Know your ****, Kojima. You are not R.R. Martin or Frank Herbert. Not even close.

Persona Trinity Soul [January 2008] [I'm not sure, but I think I can safely say that this is non-canon; which is why I didn't even think of it until just now.]

Persona 3 Movies [Spring of Birth, Midsummer Knight's Dream, Falling Down, etc.] [2013, 2014]

The first one was good, and the second one will probably be even better. Third and fourth will be as good as expected. At least they used melee skills whereas in P4A, they just let their Personae do all the work.

P5 [2014 Japan, 2015 Western Release]

Hopefully, they'll only make one, official canon version of this and hopefully it'll be the sequel that wraps everything up.

Also, don't worry about the vid, there's no spoilers. Give it a watch. I posted that vid specifically because the other ones featuring JYB talking to himself had most of the spoilers I was worried about.

Last edited:

Rilgar

I fought the war but the war won't staaaahhhppp...
He's, wait for it..................Dante.

Nero wasn't even that much different from Dante to begin with. They basically looked and acted the same. Nero was really pointless in every sense of the word.
Nothing malicious or anything of the sort. He's just a person I've never been to fond of.

Rilgar

I fought the war but the war won't staaaahhhppp...
I don't think a lot of people are really that fond of him. A lot of them only became fans out of hatred for the new Dante.
Really?! Wow, that sounds like one heck of a plot twist. I didn't realise that the kind of animosity fans have towards the new Dante would have such scope.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@berto Hmm...also a fair point; what shared aspects would you say are merely coincidence, and which ones do you suspect were intentional? Aside from the rebellious young man aspect, I mean.
Design choices.

While I can see the physical similarities, like the hoodie and coat looking a bit alike, the similar appearance of Rebellion and the Red Queen, and any other physical similarities I don't think they were on purpose.

At first I thought that it was intentional, but the more I've seen and read on the concept art of the game the more I realize the similarities are coincidental.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Design choices.

While I can see the physical similarities, like the hoodie and coat looking a bit alike, the similar appearance of Rebellion and the Red Queen, and any other physical similarities I don't think they were on purpose.

At first I thought that it was intentional, but the more I've seen and read on the concept art of the game the more I realize the similarities are coincidental.

*Nods* I can believe it; for any of the devs who were the same between DMC4 and DmC, it was probably slightly subconscious on their part. I can't remember who said it, but I seem to recall someone mentioning that Itsuno took a direction with DmC that, for whatever reason, he wasn't able to in DMC4, which is why some of new Dante's abilities are so much like Nero's (which I believe someone else also mentioned in this thread).

As far as attitude goes, even classic Dante has it-albeit a bit different, though it would be remiss of me to pretend the anime version didn't share some of the same snark as new Dante (that's about the only time I can think of where classic Dante does use a fair bit of cursing).

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Maybe, but, I can't see the same with Neo Dante and Kat anyway xD

Well with Dante and Kat it's not romance. It's a platonic relationship since Kat was the very first real friend Dante has. With Nero and Kyrie, they've been together since Nero was dropped off in Fortuna as a baby so they've had years to develop a relationship. new Dante and Kat have only had the sum of 3 days at least to really get to know each other during the killing of Mundus thus no real time to form any kind of romantic relationship.

Railazel

Well with Dante and Kat it's not romance. It's a platonic relationship since Kat was the very first real friend Dante has. With Nero and Kyrie, they've been together since Nero was dropped off in Fortuna as a baby so they've had years to develop a relationship. new Dante and Kat have only had the sum of 3 days at least to really get to know each other during the killing of Mundus thus no real time to form any kind of romantic relationship.

People still ship Dat though. (Get it?)

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Yeah, I know, But people ship anything just from a single hand touch to saying hi to each other.
j2a8n.gif

OTP!
tumblr_n2i8shAufK1sjr9rro1_500.png

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
The only comparison I can draw from DmC Dante and Nero is that they're one of the few characters in the entire series with clear and rational motivation. They develop a specific goal, and pursue it seriously...facing every obstacle with the expected emotional reaction.

In essence, they're the more three-dimensional characters in the series...and less like the one-note anime caricatures inhabiting the rest of the Devil May Cry universe.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The only comparison I can draw from DmC Dante and Nero is that they're one of the few characters in the entire series with clear and rational motivation. They develop a specific goal, and pursue it seriously...facing every obstacle with the expected emotional reaction.

In essence, they're the more three-dimensional characters in the series...and less like the one-note anime caricatures inhabiting the rest of the Devil May Cry universe.

Not only that, but both Nero and newDante were the only characters to be more crude and graphic in the entire series. Nero was the first in the series to say "go blow yourself" and use the middle finger, however it was CLASSIC Dante who used the F-word first in the series. It was in the anime, which is canon.

Railazel

I would have to disagree with that last paragraph. Old Dante was pretty three- dimensional in DMC 1. The entire game was him facing his past and watching it all unfold in front of him showed a Dante we wouldn't see in any of the sequels. Sure, he was practically a 90s action hero, but seeing the tears fall from his face when Trish "died" was heart- breaking.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I would have to disagree with that last paragraph. Old Dante was pretty three- dimensional in DMC 1. The entire game was him facing his past and watching it all unfold in front of him showed a Dante we wouldn't see in any of the sequels. Sure, he was practically a 90s action hero, but seeing the tears fall from his face when Trish "died" was heart- breaking.
Actually, I agree. DMC1 Dante was the more fleshed-out incarnation of the character. He showed caution, suspicion, realization, even contempt (most prominently during the scene where he witnesses Mundus mercilessly obliterating Griffon). It makes me sad that the future devs didn't go with that approach when taking on Dante in the rest of the series. I would've killed for a better-voiced DMC1 Dante in future games...instead of that insufferable ass-hat in DMC3.

In all honesty, though, the scene where Dante's tears nestle on Trish's face actually made me laugh when I first saw it. I'm sorry, but that's anime cheese on an almost fatally-hilarious level.

Top Bottom