• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's origins - What do you think?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I don't see him as someone who would have casual sex with someone just for the hell of it. If he had sex, then he wanted a kid. If he didn't, then Vergil really must've been more stupid than he seems in DMC3. He takes Sparda's legacy very seriously, and we need to remember that it doesn 't matter what is 'realistic'. It's Capcom's call, and I think they already had *one* kind of Vergil in mind. They don't care about what is the most likely or logical.

And I don't see why the experiment theory is any more far-fetched than anything else. Considering Sanctus knows much more than he lets on, it's quite possible Nero is some kind of experiment created from Sparda's DNA (since the Order is focused so much on Sparda). I remember Agnus saying it had only been a few years since he started his research, so he was probably not even a member of the Order back then.

Yes, it's mainly speculation, but so are the other theories. We just don't know.

I totally agree.

Personally, the 'casual sex' thing I've always associated with something that Dante would do.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Seriously? Him being half human, the idea of Vergil sleeping with a prostitute is more believable than Vergil pleasuring himself, that's for sure. It's clarified that Dante has a hard time keeping women around because his so-called "mommy-issues" present themselves and turn women off to him. Again, keep this mind people, as someone else said, if we squeeze the iffy time tables we have, he's still probably 14-16 tops, he doesn't have the luxury of being the badass we know him as today, "casual sex" as you call it is well within his realm of options.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I'm sorry, but to me, you seem to be stating your opinion as fact, when it's not. The age we have talked about is twelve and now 2-4 years has been added... Until Capcom clarify the whole damn thing, your opinion is also only a 'theory'.

What also amazes me is that a Japanese company like Capcom would have a character sire a child in it's teenage years, when in Japan, that sort of thing is frowned upon.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Seriously? Him being half human, the idea of Vergil sleeping with a prostitute is more believable than Vergil pleasuring himself, that's for sure. It's clarified that Dante has a hard time keeping women around because his so-called "mommy-issues" present themselves and turn women off to him. Again, keep this mind people, as someone else said, if we squeeze the iffy time tables we have, he's still probably 14-16 tops, he doesn't have the luxury of being the badass we know him as today, "casual sex" as you call it is well within his realm of options.
Dude, as far as Capcom cares, Vergil doesn't do anything sexual. He is a character, not a real person. Dante never does anything sexual either (aside from make sexual jokes about those feelers in DMC4), and it's never been implied he ever had sex or anything else. For all Capcom cares, the characters are asexual. Capcom wanted to attach a certain image to Vergil, and I don't think they'd throw all of that away just to make Nero make sense.

TonyRedgraveDMC

A user called Vergil'sBitch liked your post. Funny. Clearly Capcom can do ridiculous things like come up with a cool character and leave them THIS open ended, so of course they can imply their characters' sexuality for the sake of validating another.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Your point being?
I 'liked' the comment because I agreed with it.
Also, Vergil has always struck me as an 'asexual' character.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Your point being?
I 'liked' the comment because I agreed with it.
Also, Vergil has always struck me as an 'asexual' character.
That's it's funny... like I said? Under the premise of a hefty chunk of opinions, Sparda is asexual. Dante & Vergil must, and can ONLY be the products of artificial insemination, and Eva became Sparda's live-in caretaker for his 2 sons.

Meg

Okay, back up a second everyone. This whole debate about "is X character asexual" is worrying me. First off- Tony, asexuality, in this context, is a sexual orientation. It's the lack of sexual attraction to any sex or gender.

And VB, what do you mean Vergil struck you as being asexual? Is it because of his personality or because he's never expressed interest in sex? I ask because personality and sexual orientations have no connection. Now that I think of it, there's also gray-A (only occasionally experiencing sexual attraction/ desire). Hmmm....

Just so y'all know I'm not making this stuff up, I am asexual. I've also done lots of research on sexuality. Just so you all know. :blush:

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Okay, back up a second everyone. This whole debate about "is X character asexual" is worrying me. First off- Tony, asexuality, in this context, is a sexual orientation. It's the lack of sexual attraction to any sex or gender.

And VB, what do you mean Vergil struck you as being asexual? Is it because of his personality or because he's never expressed interest in sex? I ask because personality and sexual orientations have no connection. Now that I think of it, there's also gray-A (only occasionally experiencing sexual attraction/ desire). Hmmm....

Just so y'all know I'm not making this stuff up, I am asexual. I've also done lots of research on sexuality. Just so you all know. :blush:

You can't tell much about a character from one game (especially with the way Vergil was portrayed in DMC3. I can see why some people moan about him being a 'flat character').
He's so cold and, thinking about it, he didn't give Lady a second glance.

Meg

You can't tell much about a character from one game (especially with the way Vergil was portrayed in DMC3. I can see why some people moan about him being a 'flat character').
He's so cold and, thinking about it, he didn't give Lady a second glance.
You can't base a character's sexuality on how they react (or don't react) to one person of the opposite sex. o_O And like I said, if he IS asexual, it has nothing to do with him being a cold person.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
So, it's just easier to assume that he had sex with a 'prostitute' at twelve years old... *shakes head* Yay Capcom! :cautious:

TonyRedgraveDMC

Why would he be twelve? You brought that up before and I coulda swore he'd be fourteen-ish.
Correct, they are taking info that was given to us arbitrarily at face value, generating the notion that Vergil would have been twelve. This is wrong for two reasons, the result of taking such information at face value will lead to very off-kilter details, and even if he was 13-14, WHY must people find that troublesome given the setting and conditions involved?

Meg

Correct, they are taking info that was given to us arbitrarily at face value, generating the notion that Vergil would have been twelve. This is wrong for two reasons, the result of taking such information at face value will lead to very off-kilter details, and even if he was 13-14, WHY must people find that troublesome given the setting and conditions involved?
What information are you talking about? I don't remember. :eek:

TonyRedgraveDMC

No one can locate the link, but someone on the development team and such said that Lady is 10 years older in DMC4 than in DMC3 (meaning at LEAST 10 years) and the only thing we know is D&V were no younger than 8 when their family was attacked by demons. NO idea where any other age estimates came from.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
That's it's funny... like I said? Under the premise of a hefty chunk of opinions, Sparda is asexual. Dante & Vergil must, and can ONLY be the products of artificial insemination, and Eva became Sparda's live-in caretaker for his 2 sons.
Dafuq are you dribbling on about? What opinions? Where? Did you just completely miss the point of my comment, or do you choose to ignore it?
And Vergil'sBitch liked the comment because she agreed with it, like she said. There's nothing 'funny' about that.

As for Dante/Vergil's age estimates 'coming from nowhere', you're dead wrong. In DMC1, Trish said Dante lost a mother and brother to evil twenty years ago. Since it's established D&V were eight at the time, that makes DMC1 Dante 28. DMC4 is said to take place around ten years after DMC3, when Dante was 19. So that means he's, say, 29 or 30 in DMC4. Considering Capcom appears to like unrounded numbers (Nero was 17, DMC3 Dante was 19, etc), he may be 31 in DMC4. You can try to deny it, but Lady does NOT look like she's 40 in DMC4, she looks like she's 30. Hell, on wallpapers and that DMC4 start screen, she could pass for someone in her twenties.

Anyway, I stand by my opinion. I'm not saying Vergil is definitely asexual, I'm saying Capcom does not care about realism. I don't think they have any desire to portray Vergil as someone who has sex for the fun of it, and certainly not with a human. If he wanted a child, then he would make sure it's not a half-human child. Why? Because he has said himself that without power, you cannot protect anything - and he considers power to come from being demonic. So he would not burden his son with such a problem. And if he didn't plan to have a kid, then wow, Vergil really isn't taking his obligation to Sparda's legacy as seriously as he seems to be in DMC3.
Capcom is trying to tell a story with themes being important. They don't care about making it realistic.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Dafuq are you dribbling on about? What opinions? Where? Did you just completely miss the point of my comment, or do you choose to ignore it?
And Vergil'sBitch liked the comment because she agreed with it, like she said. There's nothing 'funny' about that.

As for Dante/Vergil's age estimates 'coming from nowhere', you're dead wrong. In DMC1, Trish said Dante lost a mother and brother to evil twenty years ago. Since it's established D&V were eight at the time, that makes DMC1 Dante 28. DMC4 is said to take place around ten years after DMC3, when Dante was 19. So that means he's, say, 29 or 30 in DMC4. Considering Capcom appears to like unrounded numbers (Nero was 17, DMC3 Dante was 19, etc), he may be 31 in DMC4. You can try to deny it, but Lady does NOT look like she's 40 in DMC4, she looks like she's 30. Hell, on wallpapers and that DMC4 start screen, she could pass for someone in her twenties.

Anyway, I stand by my opinion. I'm not saying Vergil is definitely asexual, I'm saying Capcom does not care about realism. I don't think they have any desire to portray Vergil as someone who has sex for the fun of it, and certainly not with a human. If he wanted a child, then he would make sure it's not a half-human child. Why? Because he has said himself that without power, you cannot protect anything - and he considers power to come from being demonic. So he would not burden his son with such a problem. And if he didn't plan to have a kid, then wow, Vergil really isn't taking his obligation to Sparda's legacy as seriously as he seems to be in DMC3.
Capcom is trying to tell a story with themes being important. They don't care about making it realistic.
For starters, there's totally something funny about a user whose username is Vergil'sBitch agreeing that Vergil was asexual. Pretty funny. Okay, the 20 years ago thing, but where did the 19 come from? Same for Nero's 17, where's that from? Again, it's VERY clear that one way or another, Vergil would have impregnated the woman prior to any of the events of DMC3, while not too young to do anything, he would not have grown into the allegedly 19 year old Vergil whose 19 year old mindset that everyone's defending. Can we get some sources plz?

TonyRedgraveDMC

[Dante & Vergil are no younger than 8 before demons attack their home] = Devil May Cry dialogue. [The attack takes place 20 years before Trish arrives at Devil May Cry] = Devil May Cry dialogue. [Dante & Vergil are exactly 8 years old on the day of the attack] = ???? [Dante & Vergil are 19 in Devil May Cry 3] = ???? [Lady, and thus Dante, is 10 years older in Devil May Cry 4 than in Devil May Cry 3] = ???? [Nero is 17 during Devil May Cry 4] = ????

Zero

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
You know, I don't think they ever stated LADY's age, even in DMC3. I always assumed she was same age as Dante. However, she could be younger than Dante by a couple of years.

Sure you could say she LOOKS in her 20's in DMC4 (I'd disagree.)...but I'm in my 20's and I still look like a teenager. =P You can't really tell how old a person is just by looking at them.

Sorry, no one is gonna convince me that DMC4 is only a year after DMC1 and that Dante is only 29. No, nuh uh, not happening. *shakes head* Even if the director stated it at some point there is no longer any proof that he did.

Capcom, seriously, give us an official timeline. Please. ;_;

You know, we should just build our own timeline. With blackjack... and hookers. (Like Nero's mom. OH BURN)

....I'm sorry, lame joke, I just had to, carry on. XD

Top Bottom