• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

nero / nelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Right now it is quite difficult. After dmc3 came they announced that the official name is Nelo Angelo and that's that. Since the games had him as Nelo Angelo it is quite expected that they'd do this sooner or later.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I think it was posted months ago (probably even before summer) somewhere in Sons of Sparda. But I'll do a little search now and if I find something I will edit.;)
EDIT: What I found was not a link but these 2 explanations.
1)Nelo Angelo as we know means Black Angel in some language (Italian?). As you may know Japanese people have a bit of a problem pronouncing L and R correctly. (Those who watched Devil May Cry Anime should have noticed that Lady was called Rady). Therefore the whole thing is just a myth. Nelo Angelo was always Nelo Angelo. The fact that in Japan many called him Nero Angelo is just a matter of accent and nothing more.
2) I also found that most people that say, 'hey I heard that Nelo Angelo, the boss/knight in Devil May Cry 1 was supposed to be called Nero Angelo but capcom changed it for some reason' or 'actually Nelo Angelo's correct name is Nero Angelo, it was just a mistake that was admitted and I remembering reading about it' never actually provide us with a link. I do not need to sound rude to people I don't know (not that they'll see this but whatever:p) but this should arise suspicion. I think we should conclude that the whole thing of him having another name was not ever the case for Capcom. As I said in point 1) the Japanese people may have just pronounced him Nero Angelo (of course someone would ask if they confuse it so much then why not call him Nero Angero by mistake? Well don't forget that the word Angel is one of the most common in anime/games etc. The fact that they used an Italian (?) way of pronouncing it shows that they are well accustomed with it, and don't call it Angeru or something similar.

However, wikipedia says some things about that Nero Angelo thing, but can we trust it?

Chrysander

Nero Angelo is Italian, and means Black Angel. Nelo doesn't mean anything in Italian. As far as I know, they wanted him to be Nero Angelo. Then they translated it to Japanese when making the game, and Japanese has no distinction between L and R. So then when they translated that word back into english, for the US and European releases of the game, it became Nelo Angelo, because they directly translated the Japanese word, rather than looking at the original Italian.

BUT I can't remember where I read that and I want to make sure I am correct about that.

If you look at this URL which is from the official japanese site for Devil May Cry 1, you can see the word "Nero" in the address, rather than "Nelo", which suggests to me that it was always meant to be Nero:

http://www3.capcom.co.jp/devil/topics/nero/index.html

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I see, thanks for the url. However right now Nelo is officially accepted is he not? In order to make people see that 'Nero' (the Devil Bringer guy) is not Nelo Angelo.

Chrysander

I don't know! That's why I'd like it confirmed one way or the other, but I can't find an article which does it

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I suppose we will see after DMC4 comes out. If Nero and the devil that resides inside him has some sort of connection with Nelo Angelo or not we'll know.
However wasn't Nero an orphan? If the Order of the Sword named him Nero then what?

heatlancer

1# Trickster
Tony_Redgrave;61817 said:
I suppose we will see after DMC4 comes out. If Nero and the devil that resides inside him has some sort of connection with Nelo Angelo or not we'll know.
However wasn't Nero an orphan? If the Order of the Sword named him Nero then what?

i take it he was orphaned at 5-7 years of age and his name was all he knew/remembered

and if anyone wants to know dante and vergil's last name just ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom