• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mundus

Osaka

trollololol
After giving it some thought I now wish that Mundus hadn't shown up in DMC. I was quite disappointed with him to be honest. It would have been better if they'd have let the tension build to the last game, but since that's not possible I hope they rework his appearance and his attacks better and maybe make it a tag battle with a choice of characters who appear in the game (and I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 different endings but that's another topic.)

Anyway, how did you find Mundus and how would you like to see him in the future?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I don't think Mundus was coming back. And really, who cares if it was in the first game that you fought him? It wasn't meant to be a series, so they put the main villain there as the big bad guy. I found it a satisfying enough fight.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
it felt... meh...
I thought the battle was disappointing too. I can remember after the jackpot scene in the waterway and the game ended thinking, "is that it?"
I'm not keen on DMC's ending anyway. I thought the game built up brilliantly but it kinda deflated like a loud drawn-out fart at the end.

Osaka

trollololol
DreadnoughtDT;221856 said:
I don't think Mundus was coming back. And really, who cares if it was in the first game that you fought him? It wasn't meant to be a series, so they put the main villain there as the big bad guy. I found it a satisfying enough fight.

Ok, fair enough.

it was an alright fight but i did feel it should have been harder and more drawn out to the series
Yeah. I'd actually liked it to have been a longer fight or something.

it felt... meh...
I thought the battle was disappointing too. I can remember after the jackpot scene in the waterway and the game ended thinking, "is that it?"
I'm not keen on DMC's ending anyway. I thought the game built up brilliantly but it kinda deflated like a loud drawn-out fart at the end.
Couldn't have put it better myself, that last bit. lol

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
DreadnoughtDT;221856 said:
It wasn't meant to be a series

Nuff said

I can't see how they could have made the fight any better. The only thing I had a problem with was the
"oh look! A plane guess we arent going to die a dramatic noble death after all....lets rock outta this joint baby"o_O

Well according to Trish even after he resurrected it took him 20 years to get himself sorted out so I am expecting to see him again but not for a long long time (final chapter most likley). We know he hasn't been forgotten about when you fight Berial there is a sign on one of the little houses that says Mundus on it. So he is still in the minds of the creators even if that was just a little easter egg.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Osaka;221828 said:
After giving it some thought I now wish that Mundus hadn't shown up in DMC. I was quite disappointed with him to be honest. It would have been better if they'd have let the tension build to the last game, but since that's not possible I hope they rework his appearance and his attacks better and maybe make it a tag battle with a choice of characters who appear in the game (and I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 different endings but that's another topic.)

Anyway, how did you find Mundus and how would you like to see him in the future?

I guess they didn't know at the time if the game would be a success, so they chose to link the story directly with Dante's backstory and family loss and have him face Mundus. Actually I think them going all-out in the plot department and giving us so much over the top stuff was a positive move by Capcom and contributed a lot to the series' overall success.

I don't know, I quite liked Mundus' design - I was expecting a cliche devil king type-thing with horns and bat wings and so on... (like DMC2's final boss) but he was more like a mix of classical Greek or Roman God and Biblical angel. And he was huge and imposing like you'd expect. And his final form really was quite disgusting when his godly exterior fell away... he was a pretty nifty bad guy I thought. But the final part with the jackpot as you guys say... it was a bit anti-climactic in some ways and the flying out of there on the plane... I hate that bit as much as I'm laughing hysterically at the same time, it seems so out of place.

Eric

Great Demon King of Evil
I thought Mundus was awesome.
Sure the battle was not all that great but i still like the guy.
Only Ganon (IMO) is better as a villain.
But i hope that Mundus is brought back.
Maybe have Dante and Nero fight him.
That would be cool.
All i know is if Mundus is to be brought back, i would scream!

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Well, Mundus always promised to return. Doesn't seem like he can ever be 'killed' fully, since he resurrects. So yeah... maybe he'll come back for another game.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't know, I think it was pretty cool they put Mundus in there. In my opinion at least. I think it worked. I don't think he should of been too difficult to fight. I think that just helped make the point about how powerful Sparda really was, when Dante fought Mundus in the form of his father. It acted like a reminder to Mundus that Sparda's power was still very strong. Though in the end Dante was close to death perhaps, Trish came and saved him. It was only because Dante had done the same for her and a friendship was made between the two that she returned to help him. In this case, Dante's abilities and strengths and his kindness acting like a strength in itself showed that he was stronger than Mundus would ever be.

It also helped to give us a run down of the story of Devil May Cry. Showed us who the real big bad guy was that Dante's father had fought. It was interesting. And was done so soon because as many had said, it never intended to be much more than it was.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
I loved Mundus, I really hope he returns.

But if he is in any games in the future I hope they use a similar voice actor or at least get his voice sounding similar, cause to me that was one of my favorite parts about DMC. Sure people say the dialog was cheesy but if you can look past that the bosses in that game had the best VAs like the way Phantom says,

"Gargh, another small one. I sensed something a little bigger. What a disappointing catch"

EPIC.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I loved Mundus, I really hope he returns.

But if he is in any games in the future I hope they use a similar voice actor or at least get his voice sounding similar, cause to me that was one of my favorite parts about DMC. Sure people say the dialog was cheesy but if you can look past that the bosses in that game had the best VAs like the way Phantom says,

"Gargh, another small one. I sensed something a little bigger. What a disappointing catch"

EPIC.

"You puny pathetic thing! I'll step on you like an ant! Ah ha ha ha ha ha!"

Phantom's personality and the fact that he goes his own way separate from Mundus' agenda makes me think that he used to be a human for some reason. That's just the idea I've always had in my head.

And on topic, Mundus needs a return. The Despair Embodied felt like it was trying to be Mundus, but it kind of failed. Though it was still a great final boss.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Phantom's personality and the fact that he goes his own way separate from Mundus' agenda makes me think that he used to be a human for some reason. That's just the idea I've always had in my head.

Wasn't it stated that Phantom used to the the ruler of Hell until Mundus came along? Or did I just make that up? So instead of killing Phantom, Mundus just commanded him to work for him. He agreed, reluctantly, but once on the Island did his own thing.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Wasn't it stated that Phantom used to the the ruler of Hell until Mundus came along? Or did I just make that up? So instead of killing Phantom, Mundus just commanded him to work for him. He agreed, reluctantly, but once on the Island did his own thing.

That sounds vaguely familiar, but I couldn't imagine such a weak demon (even for a greater demon) as ruler of Hell.

Eric

Great Demon King of Evil
There was a demon that ruled Hell before Mundus but i don't think it was Phantom or any of the demons we have seen yet.
Though even though i doubt it, Argosax might have been.
The only reason i say that is because i remember someone saying that Mundus is the Prince of Darkness while Argosax is the King of Darkness.... but i still doubt he is.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
There was a demon that ruled Hell before Mundus but i don't think it was Phantom or any of the demons we have seen yet.
Though even though i doubt it, Argosax might have been.
The only reason i say that is because i remember someone saying that Mundus is the Prince of Darkness while Argosax is the King of Darkness.... but i still doubt he is.
It's Argosax...unless Capcom pulls some more "last minute crap" and change that part too... :confused:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
So lemme get this straight... Argosax the Chaos was the King of the Underworld and Mundus was the Prince? How the crap does that work? Assuming that Mundus was born into princehood, I mean.

Eric

Great Demon King of Evil
So lemme get this straight... Argosax the Chaos was the King of the Underworld and Mundus was the Prince? How the crap does that work? Assuming that Mundus was born into princehood, I mean.

Here is what i think.

Prince:
Argosax was the King of Hell.
Mundus was his son and he quickly grew more powerful and then overthrowed Argosax to become King.

Not Prince:
Argosax was the King of Hell.
Mundus was born and he rose to power quickly eventually overthrowing Argosax.

Don't know if that helps.

Top Bottom