• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Meeting Reuben/Impressions

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
9a3YhsS.jpg
Thanks to the Cast and Crew of Sword Art Online hogging most of the buzz in the opposite hall, I was able to meet him under a more chill set of circumstances.
And the dude is cool. He's so laid back and chill, I half expected him to be lying back in his chair with his feet up on he convention table, with the Ebony and Ivory magazine in hand.

Some interesting things:
  • When he got a look at my poster, he said that I made a good choice, since he "prefers the DMC4 look."
  • He asked how big of a series fan I was, and I told him I was someone who frequented the DMC fan forums, which he actually took interest in and asked--if I could---to "extend his mass appreciation and to tell everyone to building hype for the series." He also told me about a Fight Choreography Panel he was hosting the next day, and to "tell everyone on the forums about what I see."
And the Fight Choreography panel itself was really awesome. He talked in great length about the process of doing fight scenes in a lot of the films he's worked on, and some of the challenges that have been reduced by the advent of more recent technology. He then proceeded to ask a handful of volunteers in the room to come up and partake in a light choreography instruction (an opportunity I felt obliged to excuse myself from, given how, Reuben or no Reuben, I've already had a long history of embarrassing myself by attempting physical stunts and didn't feel the need to replicate that here, in front of a whole host of people :p).

One thing I found amusing was seeing Ken Masters himself teach Terry Bogart how to be the "King of Fighters."
gypbxQX.jpg

4mxBE02.jpg
"Once more with gusto, Terry...try to bring out the Fatal Fury."

Frazz

General gamer
I am massively jealous that you got to meet Reuben! Sounds like a cool guy, glad to hear that he's still invested in the series and that he's still kicking ass!

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i find it pretty funny that as one of the people on this forum that is the most critical of DMC 3 and 4 Dante
you are the one that Reuben entrusted to tell everyone to keep building hype for the series

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
He asked how big of a series fan I was, and I told him I was someone who frequented the DMC fan forums, which he actually took interest in and asked--if I could---to "extend his mass appreciation and to tell everyone to building hype for the series."

This part looks promising to me.

Congrats on meeting Reuben :thumbsup: You're right, he does look pretty chill.

WolfOD64

I am massively jealous that you got to meet Reuben!
It really isn't something to be too jealous about at a con like this...believe it or not, the line to meet him was extremely small. Now again, I attribute that to a thousand other people having bad taste in anime and going to the Sword Art autograph booth instead, but the point remains that it would've been really easy to get in line and meet him.

What surprised me was that I was one of the only DMC fans in line. Everyone else was there for Street Fighter or (oddly enough, given its obscurity) Sengoku Basara. I could tell Reuben was happy to see someone like me approach him, and not have some Ken Masters memorabilia like a dozen others.

Sounds like a cool guy, glad to hear that he's still invested in the series and that he's still kicking ass!
From talking to him, I can tell he has a lot of personal attachment to the series. He happened to mention liking the DMC4 outfit the best, and I told him how I actually dug the chaps because of the Clint Eastwood look it added to Dante. And he was like: "Right?! That and the stubble. So much cooler than the man-bra from third game."

i find it pretty funny that as one of the people on this forum that is the most critical of DMC 3 and 4 Dante
you are the one that Reuben entrusted to tell everyone to keep building hype for the series
I know I've kind of built a reputation for being the nay-sayer of DMC3 and DMC4, but that has nothing to do with Reuben. I am and will always be entirely cynical about some of the brain-dead, flat-out moronic decisions made in developing DMC3 and 4, but that disdain is completely unrelated to the other people involved with making these games. There is a lot of talent showered (and sometimes, I feel, wasted) on Devil May Cry as a series, and its voice actors taking a wet fart of a script and turning it into an entertaining mess like DMC4's is very much apart of that. The fact that these people made me enjoy DMC4's nonsensical story with their acting and mo-cap talent alone speaks volumes of the magic they can do.

Besides, when it comes to me hating DMC or Dante as a character, no game or spectacularly-nightmarish moment encompasses that disdain like DMC3---but that was eleven years ago. I've been fine with both the character and Reuben's portrayal of him in both main entries and spin-offs alike....he wasn't perfect at the role at first, but he's done spectacularly since, to the point where I prefer him.

That's WHY I got his autograph. He IS Dante.

He's the Chosen One because he's the most level-headed around here.
Well, not having the same frothing, misguided obsession with the character certainly helps. I can't even imagine the kind of..."less restrained" fans Reuben's probably encountered in conventions like these.

And "level-headed's" a strong term. Keep in mind...if Marc Diraison, the voice of Guts, was at this convention, you would not see an OUNCE of level-headedness from me. My inhuman noise would drown out every fangirl screech within a thousand miles, and every one of you would hear it.

Well that's no surprise. From all the panels and conventions you can see that Reuben is the chill one and Dan is the playful one. The opposite of their characters.
Believe it or not, I'm more compelled to see Johnny Young Bosch in person than Dan. I'm deathly-curious to see what he's like in real life.

So that really is what you look like...?
I shaved slightly for the occasion.
Please excuse the angle of the photo, though...one accurate thing about this picture is that I'm humongously, even awkwardly-tall in real life.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I was in a bad mood earlier but this made my day bro thanks.

Even if what he's doing isn't DMC5 or whatever and it'd something new, that still be cool because it's a chance for him to try a new role which is a cool thing to me.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
9a3YhsS.jpg
Thanks to the Cast and Crew of Sword Art Online hogging most of the buzz in the opposite hall, I was able to meet him under a more chill set of circumstances.
And the dude is cool. He's so laid back and chill, I half expected him to be lying back in his chair with his feet up on he convention table, with the Ebony and Ivory magazine in hand.

Some interesting things:
  • When he got a look at my poster, he said that I made a good choice, since he "prefers the DMC4 look."
  • He asked how big of a series fan I was, and I told him I was someone who frequented the DMC fan forums, which he actually took interest in and asked--if I could---to "extend his mass appreciation and to tell everyone to building hype for the series." He also told me about a Fight Choreography Panel he was hosting the next day, and to "tell everyone on the forums about what I see."
And the Fight Choreography panel itself was really awesome. He talked in great length about the process of doing fight scenes in a lot of the films he's worked on, and some of the challenges that have been reduced by the advent of more recent technology. He then proceeded to ask a handful of volunteers in the room to come up and partake in a light choreography instruction (an opportunity I felt obliged to excuse myself from, given how, Reuben or no Reuben, I've already had a long history of embarrassing myself by attempting physical stunts and didn't feel the need to replicate that here, in front of a whole host of people :p).

One thing I found amusing was seeing Ken Masters himself teach Terry Bogart how to be the "King of Fighters."
gypbxQX.jpg

4mxBE02.jpg
"Once more with gusto, Terry...try to bring out the Fatal Fury."
I don't know why everyone is so surprised, I always knew you were really a wolf. And what was that about building hype for the series? Was that a hint I smell? Why would we build hype for something that isn't being made?

WolfOD64

Well in any case, I don't know what I would've done in your position... probably something incredibly foolish.
Something like, say, asking him to do the Twosome Time pose with me for a photo like a massive dork? Because that's exactly what I did.

I was in a bad mood earlier but this made my day bro thanks.
I'm happy to have helped.

And what was that about building hype for the series? Was that a hint I smell? Why would we build hype for something that isn't being made?
He probably means not to let the series' popularity slip so that Capcom greenlights a future game.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
Something like, say, asking him to do the Twosome Time pose with me for a photo like a massive dork? Because that's exactly what I did.

I'm happy to have helped.

He probably means not to let the series' popularity slip so that Capcom greenlights a future game.
In that case I would think that he would tell us to email Capcom, write them a letter or send them a tweet, anyway to let it be known that the fans want another in the series, not just build hype on the DMC forums that I'm absolutely positive the Japanese heads at Capcom are not frequenting.

Top Bottom