• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Maybe it's the whole genre.

So no, it's not the genre. It's companies being stupid. Hack 'n Slash is kind of a niche genre anyway. Oh sure, there are a good amount of games in it, but the industry is dominated by shooters, action/adventure games, shooters, (western) RPGs, and did I mention shooters. Considering that, companies have to be careful with how they handle the hack 'n slash subgenre. Which they haven't been.

You're right.

I've become quite bored by shooting games even though I enjoy some of them.I liked and I still do like hack and slash because it gives you a lot of comfort and freedom while playing for eg: making combos,trying different cool weapons,some nice acrobatics and such.

I like adventure and action games but as I said I'm quite annoyed by the amount of shooting games,you get bored after a while because it loses its essence and originality and heck,it's my opinion but guns are still pretty dull to me after using so many in games,tipical western stuff. :/

Meg

You're right.

I've become quite bored by shooting games even though I enjoy some of them.I liked and I still do like hack and slash because it gives you a lot of comfort and freedom while playing for eg: making combos,trying different cool weapons,some nice acrobatics and such.

I like adventure and action games but as I said I'm quite annoyed by the amount of shooting games,you get bored after a while because it loses its essence and originality and heck,it's my opinion but guns are still pretty dull to me after using so many in games,typical western stuff. :/
Weapons in most shooters: assault rifle, sniper rifle, shotgun, sub machine gun, pistol, rocket launcher, etc.
Weapons in hack 'n slash games: guitar that shoots out electricity and bats, elemental swords, ninja star things, shields meant for bashing, guns with bullets that ricochet off walls, etc.

Now that's a generalization. There are some shooters, like Resistance, that have more creative guns, but for the most part it's the same few guns across games. Sometimes guns fire lasers instead of bullets, but it's still the same.

Shame. :(

Weapons in most shooters: assault rifle, sniper rifle, shotgun, sub machine gun, pistol, rocket launcher, etc.
Weapons in hack 'n slash games: guitar that shoots out electricity and bats, elemental swords, ninja star things, shields meant for bashing, guns with bullets that ricochet off walls, etc.

Now that's a generalization. There are some shooters, like Resistance, that have more creative guns, but for the most part it's the same few guns across games. Sometimes guns fire lasers instead of bullets, but it's still the same.

Shame. :(
Exactly.I can't say I don't love myself some games that are based on shooting because some are well done, of course there are,but the gameplay itself becomes boring after a while,that's why I find hack and slash more creative and original,they combine swords,guns and other amazing weapons with all kinds of crazy combos,acrobatics,jumps,moves and such.

I mean they are video games,alternate universes and aren't supposed to portray reality at all when it comes to different circumstances,they need originality and an innovative touch to them so the player won't become tired of it, that's why I find the experience of hack and slash to be really entertaining when it comes to gameplay rather than shooting games.
Not to add I become bored after seeing so many Hollywood movies which are the same as these type of games,who rely on gun attack and such.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Timesplitters was really good at making its weapons unique. Timesplitters: Future Perfect the most of all. My brother and I still do Injector-only matches... X3 The Injector is a dart gun that makes whoever is struck by it explode.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
I dont think the genre has a significant role as to why DmC sold 1.1m and not 2m or 3m.

Here are the factors i believe caused the sales:
1) Gameplay did not meet people's expectations
2) It was a reboot people did not ask for
3) It featured a character people did not ask for
4) Capcom acted like a douchebag
5) Tameem was a douchebag
6) The fans were patronized by gaming media which elevated the hate e.g "Why u dont like cuz its white hair?!"
7) The story did not meet people's expectations

This article sums up DmC pretty well

->You

The Point

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
You know what this genre REALLY lacks??

You know what the genre REALLY lacks?

godot_wallpaper_by_brightrai-d5kixft.png

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
It's not the whole genre. There are reasons while each game the OP listed didn't do well.

1. Lollipop Chainsaw isn't considered to be very good. It's also a new IP, and those are always a risk.
2. Ninja Gaiden 3 is mediocre.
3. God of War: Ascension suffered from franchise fatigue. I mean, think about it. There's God of War 1, 2, 3 plus the two for PSP. Not to mention the three GoW collections that came out. God of War was beaten into the ground.
4. Metal Gear Rising is just a weird game to a lot of people. People who don't like Metal Gear are more likely to ignore it because of the title, and people who do like Metal Gear are likely to ignore it because it isn't a traditional Metal Gear game. Rising suffers from an identity crisis, which makes branding difficult.
5. DmC suffered from a PR and marketing nightmare. Not to mention it could have been a lot better.

So no, it's not the genre. It's companies being stupid. Hack 'n Slash is kind of a niche genre anyway. Oh sure, there are a good amount of games in it, but the industry is dominated by shooters, action/adventure games, shooters, (western) RPGs, and did I mention shooters. Considering that, companies have to be careful with how they handle the hack 'n slash subgenre. Which they haven't been.
1. I haven't played Lollipop Chainsaw, but I liked the character Juliet.
2. NG3:Razor's Edge made up for NG3 with additional content. So think of it as NG Sigma 3. You have additional weapons, ninpo and extra feminine characters. Ayane is the only character having her own side story; Momiji and Kasumi are just for gameplay like Vergil in DMC3SE.
3. Looks like the GoW series is turning from being pigeonholed to being milked for the almighty dollar...
4. There are Raiden fans, you know?
5. Yeah; PR may have been bad, yet it was understandable...

The hack and Slash genre is never going to die because it's hasn't been saturated to point of it getting stale. It's going to continue to be a small genre that's able sustain itself for yours to come; so long as we still have companies like Ninja Theory and Platinum still willing to make fun games such as: Bayonetta and Enslaved.
From what I've heard, Enslaved is quite an underrated game.

--
And yes, we need the hns genre to have a balance of both single and multi player options. GoWA did just that at least.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
It seems my first post was vague. I apologize for that, but I hope to elaborate on it here:
In my first post, I did say that the games listed undersold regardless of whether or not they were good, and I didn't really mean for that to be a discussion of whether or not MGR, DmC, or any of the other games were genre-defying.

Look at the top ten games of 2012, according to the NPD group. A few of the games listed are pretty great, some are okay, and some are only worth a rental.

The things these games have in common is not quality, it's that they all come from genres that are easily-accessible. Adventure, dance, shooting, or sports. None of the games in that list are RPGs, none are fighters, and there are certainly no hack-and-slashes.

Now note that I'm not saying that (1) I wish games were easier, (2) that I think DmC was a perfect game, or (3) that those games selling more means they are better.

I'm just pointing out a market trend: games of difficult genres don't perform nearly as well as easy ones do. I loved Persona 4 and Catherine, but I'm willing to wager they're not flying off the shelves the way Battlefield or FIFA are.

And sometimes that's great. Tekken 6 sold about 3.5 million copies and that was wonderful for the series. That's what they were aiming for.

A game that I meant to put in my first example though, was Darksiders II. It had an improved fighting system, generally good reviews, and (from what I could tell) good marketing with a hell of a lot better PR than DmC. Its sales? 1.5 million.
That's not because it was bad, but because--especially when compared to the last two game generations--games where you have to pay special attention to fighting mechanics aren't all that popular anymore.
I think one of you guys mentioned Anarchy Reigns, saying that multiplayer is very useful for selling copies. And you have a very good point. The sad fact is that the HnS genre as a whole needs more fans. If multiplayer functionality's a way to achieve that, then so be it.

And even though I'd like for genres like RPGs, Fighters, or Hack-and-slashes to be popular into this next generation, it would take a small miracle to keep them from becoming simply "cult favorites" or something like that.

I hope that illustrates my point better.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
A game that I meant to put in my first example though, was Darksiders II. It had an improved fighting system, generally good reviews, and (from what I could tell) good marketing with a hell of a lot better PR than DmC. Its sales? 1.5 million.
Hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing when I first saw this. Dat epic voice crack @ 0:59. :lol:

Edit: I really don't want the hack n' slash to go anywhere. Nordic Games had better do a great job on Darksiders III. And if not them, then hopefully, another studio will be able to keep the HNS genre going.

Not Platinum Games, I mean someone else. Someone who can bring back the mechanics of DMC3.

There has to be someone out there. It may take as long as a decade, but it'll happen sooner or later.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
i still prefer hack and slash and rpg over fps i played zelda and mario back in the day then dmc1 shinobi tenchu z dynasty warriors ninja gaiden black etc nd still do i play fps games too but there all the same scope or ironsights assault rifle pistol and grenades off you go all they really have different is the maps and environments everyone camps or quickscopes online and they have lost there edge for it i could sit and play dmc3-4 or gaiden 2 for hours but after an hour of cod or bf3 im bored what i think would be cool is to have a game with combat like dmc bayonetta and ng and make it first person

MigsRZXAStylish

i still prefer hack and slash and rpg over fps i played zelda and mario back in the day then dmc1 shinobi tenchu z dynasty warriors ninja gaiden black etc nd still do i play fps games too but there all the same scope or ironsights assault rifle pistol and grenades off you go all they really have different is the maps and environments everyone camps or quickscopes online and they have lost there edge for it i could sit and play dmc3-4 or gaiden 2 for hours but after an hour of cod or bf3 im bored what i think would be cool is to have a game with combat like dmc bayonetta and ng and make it first person
Hey! I prefer RPGs and HnS over FPS anytime! I also like racing too (ex. Gran Turismo 5)!

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
ya gran turismo grid forza and juiced were all brilliant loved em all I love fighting games more than fps aswell dead or alive marvel vs Capcom my favorites

MigsRZXAStylish

ya gran turismo grid forza and juiced were all brilliant loved em all I love fighting games more than fps aswell dead or alive marvel vs Capcom my favorites
Just to let you know, I don't want to do anything with the GT vs Forza debate crap; it's pointless. I may prefer GT, but that's the only sim racing game I grew up with since day 1 in the PS1 days. I respect those who prefer the other way around.

I like fighting games too (ex. Street Fighter and Tekken); some hns games are beat-em-ups, which is like a fighting game, except you don't face one opponent... Doing combos, juggles... I knew Capcom did the right thing adding Dante in MvC3 because the DMC games are HnS and BeatEmUps. It's really hard to master Dante due to his 40+ moves. I saw XusesGB's UMvC3 Sons of Sparda (Dante and Vergil) combo and his combos reach at the range of 200+ hits! I bet it took time for him to learn such a long chain combo, from memorizing the moves and its input commands to chaining different moves for one devastating combo. Seen those vids?

Top Bottom