• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's talk about epic female game characters

Meg

This was inspired by a thread in the DmC section about how women are portrayed in DmC/DMC. I thought we could have a thread to talk about some of our favorite women in video games. :D

So who are some of your favorites? :D

Here's some of mine:

1) Helena Harper (Resident Evil 6)- I'm not a Resi fan, so what possessed me to buy this mediocre game I don't know. But even though it was a "meh" experience, I did like Helena's character. I thought she really stole the show from Leon even though it was supposed to be his campaign. I mean, the fact that I chose to play as her....kinda...helped. :lol: Whatever.

2) Samus Aran (Metroid)- I know nothing about her other than she's some bounty hunter who does cool things. So....yeah. That's cool I guess. XD

3) Elena Fisher (Uncharted)- She's probably my favorite character in the series. (Although I do like Sully as well ^_^) I like how she's a realistic woman that still manages to hold her own. She's pretty well written too.

And that's all that comes to mind. Oh wait. Was I forgetting someone? I feel like I was forgetting someone...........hmmmmm..............nope. Nope, I think I got them all. Wait a seco-

250px-Lightxiii.PNG

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:!!!!!!!!!

There we go. ;)

So what about you guys? ^_^

Meg

I hate to say, coming from a female gamer myself, I haven't really got a big list of female characters that I like apart from the previous two I've mentioned :(
I agree. :( It's hard to find really awesome female game characters. I can name a bunch of great male characters off the topic of my head: Dante, Sully (Uncharted), Sly Cooper, Cole (inFAMOUS), Jak, Andrew Ryan (Bioshock), Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: HR), and so on. But female characters? Derrr....:(

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Lightning's a gender bended Cloud and i refuse to acknowledge that as epic. Nope not touching that one.

I suppose if i wanted to come across and be somewhat original i'd say Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, a strong female lead if there ever was one. I suppose i could throw Terra from FFVI into the mix as well.

Oh and all the girls from Persona 4 that end up in the party are all strong in their own right, simply by having the strength required to overcome their own personal shadows, nevermind the rest of the stuff they go through.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Might as well just drop this one right from the word go.

The_Boss.jpg

Ask me to name my favourite female character and I'll give you the same answer every time, The Boss from MGS 3.
I shouldn't even need to justify it, but I'll be damned if she's not one of the most well written and interesting characters to come out of the MGS series.
She's the mentor to Big Boss and flat out kicks his ass on more than one occasion, both her and Big Boss also effectively developed the hand to hand fighting style used throughout pretty much every MGS game to throw around, knock out and disarm opponents.

So yeah, The Boss, every single time.

S.F.W

King of Hearts
Lucia - I dont know what made me like Lucia so much, but I just... do. Her character design, her style, and her weapons appeal to me.

Alkaid - sama: This may just be my favorite female video game character ever. Alkaid-sama (.hack GU) is a typical tsundere that intimidates the main character and even goes on to almost defeat him in a arena match. You can even "marry" her at the end of the third installment. She's my favorite class in the series and is a strong character too.

Samus Aran - A sexy, silent, and deadly intergalactic bounty hunter who lets her actions speak for her. Samus can be cold to her enemies but also is shown to have a warm, caring side. Her adventures (atleast to me) never get old.... all except Other M.

Lightning - My favorite FF female character. She reminds me of a combination of Squall and Cloud. And the feature I like most about her is that she takes s@!# from no one! While she can be intimidating sometimes it felt, she also displays a talent for natural born leadership and authority. Not to mention, a inner strength that can appeal to just about anyone.

Meg

Lightning's a gender bended Cloud and i refuse to acknowledge that as epic. Nope not touching that one.
Subtle. ;)

The only Persona game I played was the third game, but I thought all the characters in it were well written. Cliches. :lol: But well written cliches.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I wish I could list some female characters that I like on this list, I really do, but just about every female game character I used to like, I just don't like anymore because they've either been ruined or rebooted.

I still like Claire Redfield and I really like Sunny from MGS4, she's just adorable :)

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
I agree. :( It's hard to find really awesome female game characters. I can name a bunch of great male characters off the topic of my head: Dante, Sully (Uncharted), Sly Cooper, Cole (inFAMOUS), Jak, Andrew Ryan (Bioshock), Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: HR), and so on. But female characters? Derrr....:(

I have a ton of male characters that I love as well :) I hope though, the new Lara Croft will be awesome - I wasn't a fan of the old Lara Croft, just the places she went too :p

Meg

I have a ton of male characters that I love as well :) I hope though, the new Lara Croft will be awesome - I wasn't a fan of the old Lara Croft, just the places she went too :p
Oooh! Yeah the new Tomb Raider. I was never a fan of the series, but I have high hopes for this new game. It looks to do a great job developing Lara's character. :D

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
Oooh! Yeah the new Tomb Raider. I was never a fan of the series, but I have high hopes for this new game. It looks to do a great job developing Lara's character. :D

The concept art and trailers for the game look breathtaking. She seems like a completely new Lara, someone who's real and has a soul. *crossing fingers that the game turns out good*

Reactions: Meg

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
I wish I could list some female characters that I like on this list, I really do, but just about every female game character I used to like, I just don't like anymore because they've either been ruined or rebooted.

I have no idea what you're talking ab-
title.jpg

OH GOD WHY.

Subtle. ;)

The only Persona game I played was the third game, but I thought all the characters in it were well written. Cliches. :lol: But well written cliches.

Sub...tle? What's THAT mean? :D

The third game had some strong female characters in it as well, don't get me wrong but the only one of them i liked turned into the UBER bitch in "The Answer" so i don't count her anymore.

Four's characters aren't any less cliché but i consider them better characters overall.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
My favourite has to be female commander Shepard from Mass effect.I don't know if it's a combination of the voice actor and the lines, but I really like Shepard as a character. She's tough, got guts, and takes control in a tough situation, but she also has times when she can show feelings and questions whether her actions are the right ones.

I also think Lightning is cool. I like how she's not overly emotional, she tries to put that aside to focus on her mission and she's a great fighter. Plus....she hit Snow:troll: Bonus points for that.

Trip from Enslaved. I like her design, but more than that, I like her as a character. She does the best she can in a bad situation, she tries to fight and defend herself, plus she's good with technology. But she also has a caring and emotional side to her.

Dominus

Might as well just drop this one right from the word go.

The_Boss.jpg

Ask me to name my favourite female character and I'll give you the same answer every time, The Boss from MGS 3.
I shouldn't even need to justify it, but I'll be damned if she's not one of the most well written and interesting characters to come out of the MGS series.
She's the mentor to Big Boss and flat out kicks his ass on more than one occasion, both her and Big Boss also effectively developed the hand to hand fighting style used throughout pretty much every MGS game to throw around, knock out and disarm opponents.

So yeah, The Boss, every single time.
I dunno about that, the boss felt flat throughout MGS3. I felt Eva had more character than she did................

And also before other M I was like yah Samus bad ass mother ****er. Now I'm just like whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I just pretend Super Metroid was the last Metroid game.....

ZeroLove

I could mention Trish, but I think you guys already know how much I like her. ^^

But there are definately other strong female characters I like, mostly from fighting games as I am a fighting game geek. :p

- Cammy from the Street Fighter series.
Cammy is a genetically modified young woman to become the perfect super soldier made by Shadaloo. There's even a theory that she is a modified clone of M. Bison as they share DNA, but it has yet to be confirmed. At first she was a brainwashed bodyguard and super assassin for Bison, but Dhalsim unlocked her free will which had her question her very existence and went against her master. However, he defeated her, almost killed her and left her with amnesia. Somehow she was brought to the Delta Red, a British secret service special forces team who took her in, made some tests and investigated her, but she had completely lost her memory other than knowing she was somehow connected to Shadaloo. She has since then found out what Bison did to her and has dedicated her life to take him and Shadaloo down.

42238_orig.jpg

Cammy's story is one of the deepest in the franchise, and knowing that Capcom are ****ty writers, that says alot. However, it is the UDON Street Fighter comics which really goes in the depth of Cammy's story and the reveals in that story is almost horrifying. Considering everything Cammy has been through and her young age (16 as Bison's bodyguard and 19-21 as part of the Delta Red), it is fascinating how strong a personality she has and how she deals with her traumatic past. If you are a Street Fighter or a Cammy fan, I would definately recommend reading the UDON comics.

- Jade from the Mortal Kombat series.
Born as an Edenian, she was given to the evil emperor Shao Kahn by her parents when she was but a child as a gift to show their surrender when he invaded the realm of Edenia and merged it with Outworld. Shao Kahn took her in and trained her to become a lethal assassin working for him, and a bodyguard for the princess Kitana whom she considers her best friend and like a sister. However, when Kitana found out about the truth about her "father" and her true heritage as an Edenian, she fled Outworld. Shao Kahn put Jade on the task to bring Kitana back which put Jade in a difficult position... Should she betray her emperor or her best friend? Along with her was Reptile whom was ordered to kill Kitana on sight which Jade found out, knocked out Reptile and decided to join Kitana against the evil emperor.
(The Story Mode of the newest Mortal Kombat game shows an alternative timeline hence why the story is different in that game)

jade_by_blufan-d3i75id.png

Now, Jade is more a secondary character, being the supporting character for Kitana, but I just love how she is this pillar of strength and support to Kitana and acts like an older sister, protecting her and helping her in her cause which becomes her cause as well - to free the realm of Edenia and its people from the evil Shao Kahn. She is shown as this elder sister character in the new Mortal Kombat, looking out for Kitana, and when she realizes the truth about Shao Kahn, she fights anyone who stands in her way to help Kitana. She is sassy, sometimes even a bit overconfident, mocking her opponents and then kicks their asses to show her superiourity which I just find fantastic. For a secondary character, I find her to have one of the strongest personalities in the games, not to mention I love her fighting style.

- Jen from Primal.
Jen was just a normal girl, living with her boyfriend Lewis who is the leadsinger in a metal band. One night when he was performing in a club, a tall, creepy guy with red glowing eyes stands in the crowd and stares at him. Lewis freaks out and tells Jen, but she is busier with getting over to their landlord and pay him so he won't throw them out of their apartment. The creepy guy turns out to be a demon who kidnaps Lewis and leaves Jen close to death on the road. At the hospital, a small impish gargoyle by the name of Scree frees her soul from her unconscious body and tells her that her world is in danger, as Abaddon, the lord of Chaos, has broken the balance between Chaos and Order, and that the demon who kidnapped Lewis works for him. Jen is now the only hope to restore balance and save her boyfriend, and on her journey she learns about her own heritage as possibly the daughter of Abaddon.

www.totalvideogames.com_47382_305.jpg
I love the story of Jen and the game Primal overall, how she is just a regular girl who turns out to be this hybrid of human and demon (demon in this world simply being a supernatural inhabitant of one of the four realms of Nexus) who unlocks her inner power to use against the evil lord of Chaos and save the mortal world. Sounds kinda like a female Dante, though personality wise she is nothing like him. She is this down-to-earth normal girl who is being pulled through all of this, and all she wants is to save her boyfriend. She has such a strong and warm personality that really touched my heart, and the story in the game is almost heartbreaking... I won't make any spoilers though, if you guys wish to play the game yourselves. Anyways, her partnership with the impish but wise Scree is both heartwarming and hilarious, as they constantly have this friendly banter between them from start to end. Too bad there only was this one game for the PS2, but I would definately recommend it.​
... Also... What is it with me and sleeveless women in games? XD​

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
THE BOSS- She is definitely up there and I got some feels when I had to kill her. I could go one with Metal Gear girls though so I'll just stop at The Boss. :'(

PRINCESS ZELDA- Ok, she is one of my major video game crushes. I really have a thing for her so of course she is one of my favorites.

SAMUS ARAN- Forget Other M happened but the sexy badass space girl is on the list. She is also one of my big video game crushes.

GLADOS- Does Glados technically count? I know she's a robot but she's also considered a female basically. Who doesn't love Glados? I got a weird crush on her I think I don't even understand lol.

SILENT HILL NURSE- Ok, I know a few of you may not understand why but.... just look at this awesome creature. Hey she has a nice body at least despite being a nightmarish Silent Hill creature from the depths of hell. Is there something wrong with me because I used the terms nice body and Silent Hill creature in the same statement? I'll give myself a W TF reaction people.

LARA CROFT- I haven't played the reboot and I have no clue when I will but I'm iffy on the whole concept of doing that to Lara Croft. I understand how it's an origin story that wants to make a more vulnerable Lara but it does seem rather jarring how such a brutal and harsh Lara Croft story which looks like is getting her beat up a lot will turn her in to the flirtatious and badass woman she becomes later on in life. Seems more like it would make her rough more than anything else. But Lara Croft reminded me a lot of someone like Selina Kyle because she took care of herself and had a very sexy attitude that was fun to watch. Seeing Lara get roughed up so much to this extent in the reboot from what I've seen is kind of weird.

CHUN LI- She's Chun Li people, Chun freaking Li.

THE GIRLS IN KATAWA SHOUJO- Anyone ever play this? If you did, you know exactly why I'm adding this. You love them.

JULIET STARLING- Ok, now the reason why I love her is because she's a fun and sexy character with such a bubbly yet badass charm you can't help but like her. Also I think this may also stem from how I have a crush on her voice actress Tara Strong.

JADE- Beyond Good and Evil. Nuff said. She needs to return.

SIDE NOTE LIGHTNING IS AWFUL!: I'm sorry to all the people who do like her on this thread but she (as everyone else in the 13 series) is a terrible character. She's about as deep as a kiddie pool and about as entertaining as watching paint dry. And of course I will add the obvious comparison that has to be made where she was literally designed to be the female version of Cloud but here's the thing, CLOUD HAS MORE PERSONALITY THAN HER AND HIS PERSONALITY WASN'T EVEN HIS OWN!

But back on track to awesome female characters and I feel the need to mention this and wonder why no one has even thought about it yet. She's not a grown woman but is one of the most captivating and greatest characters in video game history. It was all the motivation you ever needed. She's now become one of the greats. Get ready for the feels.
the_walking_dead_clementine_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Top Bottom