• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Konami Might Not Be Dead After All

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
That is completely true. That is completely true.

People often forget what forged the Castlevania series wasn't RPG elements or exploring...it was difficulty in platforming and level-to-level endurance. Hell, the first Lords of Shadow was more difficult on Normal Mode than all the Metroidvanias combined.

I love Castlevania in all forms---2D, 3D, Metroidvania, non-Metroidvania---but I won't pretend for a second that we've had a traditional Castlevania since the emergence of SOTN.

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece
By that logic, we haven't had a true Devil May Cry game since DMC1 and....god-forbid, 2. Remember - the original Devil May Cry wasn't so much about stylish action, as it was about efficient combat. But since DMC3, it's all been about dispatching enemies as flashy as possible.

Games need to evolve, otherwise they get stale.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
By that logic, we haven't had a true Devil May Cry game since DMC1 and....god-forbid, 2. Remember - the original Devil May Cry wasn't so much about stylish action, as it was about efficient combat. But since DMC3, it's all been about dispatching enemies as flashy as possible.

Games need to evolve, otherwise they get stale.
True, but if they stay in a certain format for so long, without any necessary evolution or innovation to keep it fresh, it will get stale.

That's exactly what happened to Castlevania during its Metroidvania stage: even someone who loves the series as much as I do will admit that it was getting stale around Portrait of Ruin.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Actually in case of Sotn it was mostly natural evolution. They already have some sort of exploration and optional scenarios in Rondo of Blood, which made you explore castle to find maidens. So SotN just picked form there and made fluid transfer between parts of castle instead of simple stage processing.

Top Bottom