• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

just one of my random thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Red Knight

master of the blade
i was just wondering, is it just me or does the devil may cry series seem to have some level of realism as far as the religious aspect goes? ive been wondering this for some time...alot of the series seems to me to be based off of roman cathoisism...wich has changed many a time over each generation..when it first started out if im not mistaken, they believed that sparda was a god...over time they some romans believed he was a demon..then it evolved into what the dmc series portraise wich is that he is a god who fell to the dark side and sealed himself away in hell in fear that the evil that was taking over his powers would someday destroy the world...does anyone else have any thoughts about this? and if this is too deep a discussion for the mods and administrators to allow plz feel free to lock this thread...i just wanted to see what ppl thought about this, but i have no problem with any objections to this topic

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
sure do...the game series are based on many religions such as...

1)Roman Catholic - Proof:Nero,Lucifer
2)Hinduism - Proof:Agni and Rudra

and others which i do not know of...

personally,even it can contradict with my religion,Islam,i don't really mind playing the games.Man,even Arabians play the games.To me,people who play DMC games are generally open minded and not touchy about religion...

Sparda™

Chaos Master;73332 said:

personally,even it can contradict with my religion,Islam,i don't really mind playing the games.Man,even Arabians play the games.To me,people who play DMC games are generally open minded and not touchy about religion...

Games are not made to contradict religion, ethnicity or other delicate subjects...

I personally find the Devil May Cry series to be found around Catholicism and the two studies of Angelology and Demonology. It's all about angels and demons. Sparda seems more like a god in the series, and everyone is trying to grab that power and use It for itself.

Dark Love

Order of R.L.C.
Chaos Master;73332 said:

Hmm. I didn't know that Agni and Rudra were from Hinduism. I know that Alastor is from Roman mythology and that Ifrit is mentioned in the Qur'an. Quite a few names are from the Divine Comedy which also touches on other reglions besides the authour's (Dante Alighieri/Roman Catholic), Paganism (whatever it was in that time period) and other old tales. There's probably a whole bunch of other stuff as well that I don't know about...

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
no it seems logical, as good and evil is the basis story for dmc it is only logical that religion is linked with it.

EDIT: Chaos Master is correct because that is not the only time I have heard Agni and Rudra being connected to hinduism.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Some interesting parallels can be drawn from major (and minor) religions when it comes to the DMC series. Personally, I think it adds a nice touch to the overall storyline of each game, regardless of personal faith. If there are strong religious denotations/connotations intended then they are portrayed well without patronising or attempting to undermine any religion. Just my opinion.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
^ It is a very good point Angel, rep+ to you.

Crimson Red Knight

master of the blade
wow i didnt think this thread would actually get so many replies within the span of one night..lol, and it's actually interesting to hear some of the opinions..u guys actually seem to draw the same conclusion i did..that there isnt any one religion in this game but actually a bunch and if we were to sit here and pick apart every religion in the game this thread would never close..lol, but really its just nice to see im not the only one who realized how religious this game really is..and they do it so well without putting any of the religions down or as angel said patronizing any one religion

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
^ I guess if we have all reached the same conclusion then your question has been answered.

Crimson Red Knight

master of the blade
yeah...although i didnt really expect this thread to last long anyway...i just wanted to see if it was really as religious as i thought or wether i just need to go check myself into the nut house..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom