• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just curious, but does anyone still believe that silly "Nero being Vergils son" theory?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I'm still not buying Crapcom's crap of Nero being Vergil's son! No f'n way! No no!! :mad:
Agreed. I don't know why they even made a statement like that years after the game came out.
Sure, if they had included real hints in the plot of DMC4 that Nero was Vergil's son, then I would have been more accepting. The only hint we do get in Dante handing over Yamato, and maybe the part where Nero activates the devil trigger and says he needs more power like Vergil did.

It's a shame. They could've really done something with Nero and given him a backstory that cemented his family ties to Dante and Vergil. But it seems more like they just suddenly decided years later to explain Nero with a throwaway sentence in a book, a book only released in Japan. That's just plain lazy, Capcom.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Agreed. I don't know why they even made a statement like that years after the game came out.
Sure, if they had included real hints in the plot of DMC4 that Nero was Vergil's son, then I would have been more accepting. The only hint we do get in Dante handing over Yamato, and maybe the part where Nero activates the devil trigger and says he needs more power like Vergil did.

It's a shame. They could've really done something with Nero and given him a backstory that cemented his family ties to Dante and Vergil. But it seems more like they just suddenly decided years later to explain Nero with a throwaway sentence in a book, a book only released in Japan. That's just plain lazy, Capcom.

^ This is more or less how I see it, as well. I'm quicker to accept him as his Vergil's son, but only because personally, I like the whole familial ties thing, and since they lacked any other explanation (hell, he could have been Dante's son, lol!) I figure it's better than nothing.

But, I wholeheartedly agree; that was incredibly lazy of them; the least they could do is make sure the Deadly Fortune novels actually get translated and shipped to us Westerners as well, since all we have to go on in regards to the whole "Vergil being Nero's dad thing" is a rough, somewhat immature summary provided by devil's lair. :/ Not that I blame them for their disbelief and attitude on the matter, but it kind of takes away from the whole reading experience, when I keep having to bypass them constantly throwing their personal opinion into it every other sentence...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I still buy it more than the idea Dante is Nero's father.

And though they were only hints, they're pretty blatant hints, at that. . .

For now I guess it's the theory I go with... not that it seems to have much impact on the series so far.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
''The only hint we do get in Dante handing over Yamato, and maybe the part where Nero activates the devil trigger and says he needs more power like Vergil did.''

Well, Dante handing over Yamato doesn't mean Nero is Vergil's son. If you recall, Dante said 'it's gotta stay in the family', meaning the Sparda family. All it tells us is that Nero is somehow related to Sparda and the twins, nothing more.

The fact that he said ''give me more power'' is more significant. It tells me that Vergil is somehow involved, but again, it says nothing about him being his father. ''From that day forth, my arm changed, and a voice echoed: power. Give me more power!'' I think he's just referring to the day his demonic powers (sort of) awakened, which was in Mitis Forest when he got slashed on the shoulder. Since Vergil's presence is only made clear once Nero finds the Yamato (through the blue floating DT), I'm guessing part of Vergil is inside the Yamato. Nero probably heard the Yamato call out to him, but he didn't realize it was the Yamato. It would actually explain why he starts laughing when he gets the Yamato: he finally found the source of the voice that was driving him crazy.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
^ I kind of figured his crazed laughter actually had to do with the realization that he didn't have a big, gaping hole in his chest after being stabbed. :p Half relief, half euphoria.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
''The only hint we do get in Dante handing over Yamato, and maybe the part where Nero activates the devil trigger and says he needs more power like Vergil did.''

Well, Dante handing over Yamato doesn't mean Nero is Vergil's son. If you recall, Dante said 'it's gotta stay in the family', meaning the Sparda family. All it tells us is that Nero is somehow related to Sparda and the twins, nothing more.
That's the problem. The hints we were given during the game could go either way. Nero could be Vergil's son, or some other relation to Sparda's blood. The only certain indicator was the 'give me power' line, and Dante saying the sword needed to be kept in the family. But even that statement could mean Nero is related in some other way that is not Vergil's son.

So why Capcom suddenly decides to release the info that Nero is Vergil's son in a Japan exclusive book instead of the actual game is pointless to me. The timeline doesn't even match up for that to be possible. Vergil would have been really, really young when Nero was born.
The only way that idea would fit in would be if Nero was some kind of experiment using Vergil's DNA. I guess that would have been acceptable to me. But it seems like they're trying to imply that he had relations with a woman. Vergil would have been too young for that, and I don't think it's in his personality to even have relations of that manner with a woman.

Capcom are completely disregarding his personality just so they can make up rubbish years later. :facepalm:

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Wow... did you guys go frolicking through my old threads while I was away again!?!? You know that calls for a spanking right?? *takes off belt*

Alright everyone get in line. The quicker we get this done the better. :shifty:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Wow... did you guys go frolicking through my old threads while I was away again!?!? You know that calls for a spanking right?? *takes off belt*

Alright everyone get in line. The quicker we get this done the better. :shifty:

Why was my first thought a quote from Mr. Deeds...? XD

It's official; I'm one disturbed individual...

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
@Loopy

''The only way that idea would fit in would be if Nero was some kind of experiment using Vergil's DNA.''

Yeah, but then the question becomes 'how could anyone obtain Vergil's blood when he was like 11, and preserve it?' Still, I personally like to think that Nero is an experiment too, but rather a combination of Dante and Vergil's blood. It would explain Nero's 'Dante-and-Vergil-ness', if that makes any sense. But then, you can't make anything out of people's blood in real life, so... yeah. Nonsensical Japaneseness ho! XD

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
@Loopy

''The only way that idea would fit in would be if Nero was some kind of experiment using Vergil's DNA.''

Yeah, but then the question becomes 'how could anyone obtain Vergil's blood when he was like 11, and preserve it?' Still, I personally like to think that Nero is an experiment too, but rather a combination of Dante and Vergil's blood. It would explain Nero's 'Dante-and-Vergil-ness', if that makes any sense. But then, you can't make anything out of people's blood in real life, so... yeah. Nonsensical Japaneseness ho! XD
I was thinking more like they take fragments from Nelo Angelo, like they did to make the Angel demons in DMC4, harvest some DNA from it, and then create a clone that ages faster than a normal person. That wold negate the whole Vergil being very young problem, and fit in to the experiments Agnus was doing with fragments of Nelo Angelo.
Sure, that's very out there, but it is only a game so it's possible to suspend disbelief.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I was thinking more like they take fragments from Nelo Angelo, like they did to make the Angel demons in DMC4, harvest some DNA from it, and then create a clone that ages faster than a normal person. That wold negate the whole Vergil being very young problem, and fit in to the experiments Agnus was doing with fragments of Nelo Angelo.
Sure, that's very out there, but it is only a game so it's possible to suspend disbelief.

It's a nice idea, but I couldn't see myself going with it, since that would still mean Nero only has something to do with Vergil... but his colors are red and blue. Of course, Nero Angelo was purple, sort of (even his theme is called Ultra Violet), so maybe it could work.

What Sanctus said still sounds important to me: ''a descendant of Sparda's blood'', which is a very cryptic way of putting it, IMO. I mean, what 'blood'? Literally blood, or blood as in 'family'? *Sigh*... this is why I think Capcom itself doesn't know who Nero is. It's so chaotic and unlikely (both of our ideas), but him being Vergil's son makes even less sense. All I know right now is that there's some Nero Angelo references in DMC4 as well, which is interesting. Aside from that, Nero probably wasn't called Nero just for fun - it may have something to do with Nero Angelo.

Last edited:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
What Sanctus said still sounds important to me: ''a descendant of Sparda's blood'', which is a very cryptic way of putting it, IMO. I mean, what 'blood'? Literally blood, or blood as in 'family'? *Sigh*... this is why I think Capcom itself doesn't know who Nero is. It's so chaotic and unlikely (both of our ideas), but him being Vergil's son makes even less sense. All I know right now is that there's some Nero Angelo references in DMC4 as well, which is interesting. Aside from that, Nero probably wasn't called Nero just for fun - it may have something to do with Nero Angelo.
There's just too much vagueness in the game, and the only evidence that is certain is in that Japanese book they released recently, they said Nero was Vergil's child.
That's fine and all, but if they were intent on making Nero Vergil's son, why did they wait years later and then release this important information in a book that not many people outside Japan would be able to get their hands on, let alone read and understand it. Heck, even the Japanese book was vague. It just used the kanji 'ko' for child.

As for Nero and his name, they were going to call him Rodan according to one of the concept books. I don't know why they decided to change the name to Nero. Edit: Just looked it up, apparently Morihashi Bingo came up with Nero by accident, and it doesn't have anything to do with Nelo Angelo....weird. Talk about just throwing things together. There was me thinking there was some kind of planning and thought went into naming characters. Nope, it was an accident that Nero was called Nero. :facepalm:

That pretty much sums up this whole Vergil, is he, isn't he Nero's father. It's like Capcom just needed a convenient way to explain Nero and went with whatever they felt like for the sake of it. The best part is, we find out this information in a novel that isn't exactly cannon, and the concrete evidence in that concept book which pretty much spells it out. But in doing so, they disregard Vergil's personality and the timeline just to throw these ideas together.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
There's just ... ideas together.

Fuuuuuuuck... I see it too, on the Devil May Cry wikia. The change to Nero from Rodan, I mean.
This does make things more interesting, though. Dante is a character in the Divine Comedy, and so is Virgil (Vergil). Rodan (game name)... or Auguste Rodin, is the sculptor who created The Gates of Hell, which depicts some of the story that Dante and Virgil are featured in.

So... all of this gives me the strong impression that Nero (Rodan) was the sculptor of Dante and Vergil's lives, so to speak. This idea again supports my view that Nero is Sparda in some form, or that he is directly derived from Sparda's actual blood (genes). Then again, it could just be a name, nothing more.
So many references to Sparda, and then he suddenly becomes Vergil's son in that novel... it reeks of poor storytelling.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
^I'm pretty sure it's just a name; I have a sneaking suspicion Capcom didn't put as much thought into these things as the fans have. :p

(Also, I could have sworn Nero originally was going to be named "Ronin"or "Ronan". Great, now I have to check the wikia again (it's been many months since I last looked).

Curiously enough though, "Rodin" is a character in the Bayonetta series; a demon gun smith that owns a bar named, "The Gates of Hell"...

Not that it matters, since the only affiliation between DMC and Bayonetta is the fact that the first of the former was created by Hideki Kamiya...

Still, I thought it was interesting; I maintain little to no thought goes into character names, though.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wouldn't say I believe it but I'm more neutral to the idea as i dont think i know Vergil that well to say yes or no.

I agree with Loopy as they didn't give a lot of concrete hints as to whether he is Vergil/Nero/Sparda's kid or a reincarnation etc and it makes you feel sorry for him. Not even his creators gave a damn about him. :'(

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
^ This is more or less how I see it, as well. I'm quicker to accept him as his Vergil's son, but only because personally, I like the whole familial ties thing, and since they lacked any other explanation (hell, he could have been Dante's son, lol!) I figure it's better than nothing.

But, I wholeheartedly agree; that was incredibly lazy of them; the least they could do is make sure the Deadly Fortune novels actually get translated and shipped to us Westerners as well, since all we have to go on in regards to the whole "Vergil being Nero's dad thing" is a rough, somewhat immature summary provided by devil's lair. :/ Not that I blame them for their disbelief and attitude on the matter, but it kind of takes away from the whole reading experience, when I keep having to bypass them constantly throwing their personal opinion into it every other sentence...

Yeah its kind of hard to trust Devil's Lair on this issue when I read their summary they kind of half-assed explained the issue and seemed quite biased against the novel and even criticized it a lot. People can get different takes or perspectives on any material especially with books so hearing the novel contents from the perspective of ONE guy/source rather than multiple sources or the original source.

But this brings up another question why hasn't anyone actually translated the novel. I thought it would be easy due to it being a manga but its not a manga like the DMC3 mangas but a book like the DMC1 & DMC2 one but with occasion pictures.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Yeah its kind of hard to trust Devil's Lair on this issue when I read their summary they kind of half-assed explained the issue and seemed quite biased against the novel and even criticized it a lot. People can get different takes or perspectives on any material especially with books so hearing the novel contents from the perspective of ONE guy/source rather than multiple sources or the original source.

Exactly; I wish I could find another source that opted to do the same thing, just so I'd at least have the possibility of seeing it from the opposite side of the spectrum-or from someone with a more balanced perspective on it.

But this brings up another question why hasn't anyone actually translated the novel. I thought it would be easy due to it being a manga but its not a manga like the DMC3 mangas but a book like the DMC1 & DMC2 one but with occasion pictures.

I'm not sure, either. Whether it's a novel or a manga, you'd think an officially translated version would have been released by now. Perhaps any and all attention for the extra media of the classic franchise has pretty much been dropped? Or it could just be a lack of funding or motivation to do so...the latter seeming more likely than the former, though Capcom has had financially issues of late-or so I hear. I've yet to do any serious research on the matter.

Edit: Oh, and welcome back. I knew you'd disappeared for awhile.

Top Bottom