• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I've tried to play DMC 4 after DmC again...

Opposite for me, I was like "wait a second? Why am I playing this when I can play DMC4"

And then I put 50 more hours into DMC4, besides DmC as stated by NT was designed to be a pick up and play game. Just like Angry Birds. The great and powerful Tammy Tam senpai knows what gamers want today. Going into a game and learning the ropes is not cool anymore.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
It doesn't pick up until you play as Dante.
Nero just doesn't feel right.

But, the game gets so much fun once you take control of Dante.
I would disagree, I found Nero to be much more fun to play with than Dante. Yeah Dante had a wider move list despite being the secondary character, a choice by Capcom that make 0 sense but Nero was really fun and easier to control, he felt more balanced and jumping into Dante after playing half the game with Nero was very Jarring, another choice by Capcom that makes no sense. I can say that I also had the same problem playing DMC4 again after this game. I hated having to lock on to enemies all the time in order to use a lot of my attacks, was annoyed by how slow and sluggish Dante and Nero moved. It's weird because on a nuts and bolts level DMC4 is faster than DmC and more fluid in some ways.

DarkSlayer54

I kind of thought about this... and having to hold the lock-on feels really out of place. I really don't know why, because in both DmC and other DMC's you have buttons to hold.
I think it's more about the dodge. Dodges in previous DMC's are pretty lame imo... jumping backwards is pretty useless, and rolling is limited. Using two buttons to dodge just feels out of place for DMC3 and DMC4.
I really like simplicity... and DmC isn't exactly simple, there's a lot to think about... like the Angel/Demon weapons, which weapon is currently equipped, and of course where enemies are. When I try to do combo's on the fly, it gets pretty challenging to think of everything.
As far as complexity goes, I think DMC4 is the only example for this. Dante was just way too complicated... as far as DMC1,2, and 3 went... I don't think complexity was ever a problem. You only had two swords at max to keep track of (3 if you count Vergil).
Dodging is what feels outdated due to the lock-on though. I feel that DmC got it right... make dodging super forgiving, but place players in trickier situations.

berto

I Saw the Devil
DMC4 was never that fun for me. I am strictly 1 & 3 player. Nether DmC nor DMC4 have what I'm looking for in a DMC game and DMC4 was never that high on my list of thing that defined DMC to begging with so this kinda seems like comparing the two pinnacles of what I didn't want as reasons for change.

I get the point, DMC4 is not as good as DmC in your opinion but in my opinion nether is the cream of the crop and to compare those two really doesn't have much of an impact on my.

aoshi

After I've invested about 50 hours into the new DmC, I've started up DMC 4 after a long time and I was really surprised.
I thought that I'll jump right into the action but apparently I was wrong.

Everything just feels...clumsy or dated? I don't know. But it was harder to get into it.

Sorry but DMC 4's combat was not dated but an advanced level compared to DMC 3 especially with dante. Yes, DMC 4 is harder to get accustomed to with style switching on the fly but dated...No. If you have not played DMC 3 at an advanced level with JC and royal guard, you will find DMC 4 even harder cuz JC and RG are now bread and butter compared to DMC 3 cuz other 4 styles(including darkslayer) are on the fly and effeciency has certainly shifted from jus JC to using styles effectively. This also demands that we use our left hand effectively with moves such as calibur and star-raving. I can play with nero at 90 % of his capacity since i can JC all moves of redqueen but could not use charge shots to max since charging with thumb which is my most active right hand finger. But with dante, I am at a 70 % capacity, cuz there are certain moves which demand left hand proficiency with moves like side star-rave, sideways guard cancelling which i can't perform but can star-rave, RG , JC, double weapon switch effectively with dante cuz i have played DMC 3 at a level that lets me enjoy DMC 4 advanced improvs with style switching.

DMC 3 and DMC 4 involve a lot of improvization with combinations from differente weapons and style which require a deeper understanding and can't pick up the game and play it right of the bat. But that does not make it dated.

I can't understand how some people can claim that the combat system is simplified. They obviously haven't played DmC, or they forgot (like me) how the combat in older DMCs actually is.

As you said before, you did find DMC 4 harder. Then you find DmC easier to play. How does that not make DmC simplified compared to DMC 4?

I made a little comparison:

Main character of DMC4 - Nero (Since you start with him and play around 60% of the game or more he is the main character, not Dante)

Again, though Dante is not the main character, his combat mechanics is highly diverse and not easy to use.If you look up his1nightmare's "bosses may cry" videos , you will understand how much dante is skillfull.

With the move set comparison, As i said before, DMC 3 and 4 involve a lot of improvization where combinations matter than treat them as individual moves. Nero, on the other hand, his snatch and buster ability are a huge advantage and combined with red-queen max act, Nero is a powerhouse. You jus gotta learn to play with them(improvize).

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Is it so wrong to prefer one game over the other?:/

Not for bullshit reasons it's not and i have every right to call anybody out on praising DmC for doing something that the DMC games apparently don't do when they've been doing it SINCE THE FIRST GAME.

TheNoHeartedBeing

I cant play DM4 after playing DmC. Its not that DMC4 is slow its just that they both feel so different. Im trying to use the devil bringer by pressing LT and X. I tried to do the roulette spin and i failed lol. In DmC the roulette spin is easier to use because they give you so much time in the pause. Matter the fact all the pause combos in DmC is easier. You have so much time to pause and continue the combo.

Rayl

Actually you know what? I actually had similar troubles between DMC1 and the other games before the HD Collection came out, not because of combo differences (Because there really isn't any changes, as i've said.) but because the PS2 version (Unless you're playing the Japanese version anyway) had triangle for jump, X for action/check/confirm, O for sword and square for gun.

Utter madness i say!

Rayl

you do realise what you just said? stomping on a persons OPINION because you don't agree with THEIR REASON. that my friend is s "bullshit reason" to stomp an OPINION.

He made a claim that he couldn't learn combos in DMC4 but DmC is fair game, okay fine but the basic combos are the same between each game so that's totally impossible, not an opinion but a statement of fact.

Next time try actually reading before you jump to somebody's defence.

I'd like to know what this game does better than the other games tbh, well more specifically 3 and 4.

Whenever I bring up enemies not attacking you off screen the question always seems to get dodged.

MasterBlasterAA

THEY ARE DIFFERENT GAMES. When I play DMC4 or earlier titles now, my mind automatically switches to the old button configuration. When I play DmC I switch to the new one. Simple as that. Its like playing Halo and then playing DmC or something, and using the respective button schemes when switching games. I feel that most people on this forum are not good enough at either game to judge them properly. I have gotten every achievement for DMC4 (not exactly an easy feat), 970/1000 for DMC HD (i couldn't bring myself to beat DMC2 bloody palace... such a horrible game...), and rank 13th on the DmC bloody palace, and I still don't think I am good enough to compare these games properly (love every one of them though, also my GT is MasterBlasterAA if you want to check).

If you are this guy, or play DMC4 like this guy, you have a right to hate DmC (and he vehemently hates DmC, justifiably so). He clearly put a ton of time into learning the nuances of DMC4's combat system, and switching to a new one after being that good would be pretty jarring.

Otherwise, you have no right to criticize the new system, because you are simply not good enough.

MichiGen

... feel of DmC are just so new compared to the other games it feels more comfortable.

That's exactly the word I was looking for. It feels more comfortable.
And comfortable doesn't mean simplified as some people claim. DmC character feels more swift, for example simple running around, jumping and changing directions feels more reactive.
Sure Dante in DMC 4 has more moves in its combat system, but lock-on after playing DmC feels like a very restrictive feature to me now, moreover you have to hold lock-on to perform dodge...

I was never one of those best DMC players who put their vids on youtube, but I've played all DMC games and I think I can say which combat system feels satisfying and which doesn't. For me the combat system in DmC is a good compromise between simplicity of Nero and complexity of DMC 4 Dante.

Thanks all for your opinions, some are interesting to read. :)

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not for bullshit reasons it's not and i have every right to call anybody out on praising DmC for doing something that the DMC games apparently don't do when they've been doing it SINCE THE FIRST GAME.
A person can like whatever game they want for what ever reason, it's their money and no one has the right to demand that they'd like or dislike something against their will.

We also have the right to dissagree however we want and argue our points. The strongerst arguements, by the way, are the ones that are backed up by facts and the weak ones are all opinion.

So, yes, you can call anyone out on their bullshit but they can like whatever they want.

DarkSlayer54

Otherwise, you have no right to judge the new system, because you are simply not good enough.
:/
I have no right to judge the new system? I can't agree with that at all...
My opinion of Dante in DMC4 is that he's overly complicated, and he plays no better than DMC3's Dante... as more of a casual player, I can judge the new system as far as complexity goes since it really affects my experience in the game.

As far as depth goes, I can't say anything since I never scraped the surface of DMC4's combat... is that what you meant? Because for me the new system is superior to DMC3/4 due to simplification.

Rayl

A person can like whatever game they want for what ever reason, it's their money and no one has the right to demand that they'd like or dislike something against their will.

We also have the right to dissagree however we want and argue our points. The strongerst arguements, by the way, are the ones that are backed up by facts and the weak ones are all opinion.

So, yes, you can call anyone out on their bullshit but they can like whatever they want.

Are you even bothering to read my posts? Where am i denying the right to have an opinion? You all need to stop claiming things i haven't even said, it's getting old.

Jerry Wirerammer

THEY ARE DIFFERENT GAMES. When I play DMC4 or earlier titles now, my mind automatically switches to the old button configuration. When I play DmC I switch to the new one. Simple as that. Its like playing Halo and then playing DmC or something, and using the respective button schemes when switching games. I feel that most people on this forum are not good enough at either game to judge them properly. I have gotten every achievement for DMC4 (not exactly an easy feat), 970/1000 for DMC HD (i couldn't bring myself to beat DMC2 bloody palace... such a horrible game...), and rank 13th on the DmC bloody palace, and I still don't think I am good enough to compare these games properly (love every one of them though, also my GT is MasterBlasterAA if you want to check).

If you are this guy, or play DMC4 like this guy, you have a right to hate DmC (and he vehemently hates DmC, justifiably so). He clearly put a ton of time into learning the nuances of DMC4's combat system, and switching to a new one after being that good would be pretty jarring.

Otherwise, you have no right to judge the new system, because you are simply not good enough.

The guy has obviously practiced his @$$ off and is talented, but seriously, he has a justifiable right to hate, because DmC is different? Seems a bit extreme?

MasterBlasterAA

:/
I have no right to judge the new system? I can't agree with that at all...
My opinion of Dante in DMC4 is that he's overly complicated, and he plays no better than DMC3's Dante... as more of a casual player, I can judge the new system as far as complexity goes since it really affects my experience in the game.

As far as depth goes, I can't say anything since I never scraped the surface of DMC4's combat... is that what you meant? Because for me the new system is superior to DMC3/4 due to simplification.

I was just saying that you can't say that the DmC's combat system is clunky when you aren't good enough to use all the combat complexities DMC4 had to offer. I should have replaced "judge" with "criticize". I was directing my statement at people who are comparing DmC's combat to DMC4's combat and criticizing the new system (not people like you, i agree with you). Again, I like both systems, I just want to tell people that you have to be qualified to criticize is all.

Edited my original post

Top Bottom