• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Itsuno Shoots down "DMC's Dependence on Sales" Hysteria in Interview

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It saves itself and it stays like that.

I know. That's why I said I need to save the setting before I launch the game, then launch it, then revert the setting to normal when I exit the game, then when I want to launch it again I need to repeat... blue balls!

And it's still an ugly artistic decision regardless, eeew. As bad as Dragon Age Inquisition's double sun.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
To say that DmC level design is recycled is also incorrect, due to the changing nature of each stage. Enemy placement, enemy types, and traversal type in each mission are very well thought out in the re-imagining of DmC.
It is recycled as hell. Not only you forced to do that nonsensical levels with statue in backgrounds more than once, every level plays same and lacks what it should have in the first place: action. You forced to jump and drag platforms for 50% of the game, making it more platformed than it should be, and that whole platforming is on verge of QTE isn't helping it either. There are like 5 filler level in DmC that may as well not exist and are there only to drag time, with 4 more levels being simple boss fight, two of them being just reskinned version of the same fight (since no matter what everyone's tries to say, Munduss and Succubus is essentially same. )

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I know. That's why I said I need to save the setting before I launch the game, then launch it, then revert the setting to normal when I exit the game, then when I want to launch it again I need to repeat... blue balls!
Again, it saves itself like that permanently until you change it. Unless you mean the PC version.

I thought it was the better looking design compared to the bland dark areas of DMC3 and the super sunny glorified areas of DMC4. But we will be arguing opinions at this point so I'm not gonna dip my foot in more crap.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Please get back on topic. The last part of page 2 and all of this page are off topic. I don't want to have to mention this again. Thank you!

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
That's where you and I disagree. Again you make good points, but with what DMC in general tries to accomplish in terms of platforming, it falls flat. DmC does it very well. The level traversal is just as fun as the combat. Even though Hack n' Slash games make that the status quo, doesn't mean us, as gamers, should agree with it. Especially when it's repetitive and lazy game design. To say that DmC level design is recycled is also incorrect, due to the changing nature of each stage. Enemy placement, enemy types, and traversal type in each mission are very well thought out in the re-imagining of DmC.

What I'm trying to convey (and perhaps not doing a very good job) about the game reviews, is that DMC4, with the addition of three new characters, isn't enough to garner it stellar ratings. Averaging of 7.5 isn't bad, but it's not what a game like DMC, with better platforming and the robust combat system it currently has, should be rated at. I believe there is another thread with a DMC5 wishlist that has some very good ideas that I believe would rocket the series into the upper rated echelons.
Why is platforming suddenly the topic? Weren't we talking about backtracking? Anyway, DmC had pretty boring monotonous platforming, IMO. Bayonetta did it better, and managed to often incorporate it into battles too. In DmC, it was mostly just 'press this button over and over until you get out of this enemy-less area, and progress plot-wise'. It often took you out of the flow, and into something that felt more like being stuck in traffic. IMO, DmC's platforming often served as nothing more than padding. DmC also has a lot of recycled level sections, it's just obscured slightly because of the fact that levels morph, like you said. Many levels in DmC look very similar, while it has less backtracking than previous DMC games. DMC on the other hand is pretty much the opposite: it often asked you to go back to certain areas, but didn't recycle that much. There are plenty of games that have much better platforming than DmC. I saw no problem with enemy placement in the DMC games either, it's good in DmC as well as DMC.

I'm not sure if by the second 'DMC' you mentioned you mean 'DmC', but I wouldn't rate DmC higher than a 7/10. Its gameplay (and combat) really isn't on a par with DMC3, or even DMC4. Even if you could argue that it had better platforming (which I'm not sure about), that's not enough to give it a score close to DMC3's score. But that's not the topic anyway, and I guess we should agree to disagree.

@Daimon Leon: Hold up. People are criticising the backtracking in DMC 4: SE, despite the fact that story and missions haven't been changed at all from DMC 4 - DMC 4:SE? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
Yeah, pretty much. The Gamespot review of DMC4 SE consisted mostly of the reviewer complaining about how much he disliked the backtracking (which is not a feature of the SE, it's a feature of original DMC4). It was literally 1/3 of his review, and he didn't review DMC4's story, gameplay, graphics, or anything else. So... if he was trying to review DMC4, not just the SE, he didn't really do a good job.
I can understand that the backtracking (Dante's levels) gets more annoying if you have two extra characters you need to backtrack with, but it just seems like such a pointless criticism to me. I mean, everyone who bought DMC4 SE knows that it has backtracking, they took that fact for granted. Aside from that, the backtracking is not something new. So they're essentially lowering the score of the SE for the original game's flaws... and I don't know if that's fair. If you're going to review the SE, you need to review what was added to the original game.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine if reviewers criticize DMC4 for its backtracking... but is it a good reason to suddenly give DMC4 SE a 6/10 instead of the original game's 8.5/10? The backtracking didn't need to be fixed -- it would be nice if it were, but yeah. What's more, it couldn't be fixed... not unless they remade the entire game and gave Dante his own campaign. In that case, it wouldn't be a Special Edition, it would be a remake.

I guess maybe Capcom should've added new levels for Trish and Lady at least. But that would mean there'd be extra paths to the levels' destination, and that would mean that the game is essentially again a remake. No matter what they add, if it changes the game, it basically makes it a remake. What I'm saying is, it's not fair to review a game based on one's own expectations and hopes... you need to review what's there, not what you want there to be. I never expected more out of this game, because it was marketed as a special edition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
iv probably said this in another thread already but
i really don't get why everyone just hags on the backtracking so much it's pretty much the only complaint you ever hear over and over again

yeah it would have been better to have more area's for Dante instead of just reusing Nero's
but the place your in rarely changes the way you fight
if your fighting a scarecrow in fortuna castle or in the forest or inside the savior your just going to fight it like normal

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
the place your in rarely changes the way you fight
if your fighting a scarecrow in fortuna castle or in the forest or inside the savior your just going to fight it like normal

Yeah but it's mostly cause seeing the same scenarios gets boring.

I'd like a Devil May Cry where you can use the stage to kill enemies, kinda like Bulletstorm. Even though DMC3 already had a glimpse of that.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
iv probably said this in another thread already but
i really don't get why everyone just hags on the backtracking so much it's pretty much the only complaint you ever hear over and over again

yeah it would have been better to have more area's for Dante instead of just reusing Nero's
but the place your in rarely changes the way you fight
It mostly stems now from the fact that Capcom had Dante going to hell in his own story, but it was scrapped for backtracking. That made a lot of the fans mad because Capcom missed out on a good opportunity to not only pay homage to Divine Comedy, but also to finally have a game where Dante goes into hell full time for the entire game.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Lilith's club is probably the best level/segment in DmC both aesthetic wise and level design wise. After that stage the quality in level design and level art went downhill. The designs (especially the Silversack tower) look bland and uninspired compared to the earlier stages and it basically devolved into more pull this and smash that.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Lilith's club is probably the best level/segment in DmC both aesthetic wise and level design wise. After that stage the quality in level design and level art went downhill. The designs (especially the Silversack tower) look bland and uninspired compared to the earlier stages and it basically devolved into more pull this and smash that.
I agree. The stages in the third act of the game weren't nearly as good as the first 2/3rds of the game.

I did kind of like the hell-inspired level with the lava-filled crevice. That seemed like a nice throwback to the earlier games.

Top Bottom