• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Vergil good or evil in DMC3? And Why?

Its like saying if you like Snoop Dogg or Eminem both have their artistic merits and its really hard to compare them on a technical level when it comes to that.
It's a matter of preference.But you can't deny if one is really good.
Just like you can't say a pop artist is worse than a rock artist just because you don't like the genre he/she is singing.They're good in their choice of entertainment.

EnJ

Shade
That topic needs another thread.... this thread is already getting out of hand >_> both are generally very great bands its just really hard to come to a conclusion just like that.

Its like saying if you like Snoop Dogg or Eminem both have their artistic merits and its really hard to compare them on a technical level when it comes to that.

But still technical level is objective point. For professionals. For us it's hard to say objectively who is better. Pretty same situation with the games.

And i guess this is my last post in this discussion. You free to say that "haha stubborn fanboy can't prove his arguments etc." let it be so, but i'm really tired of this dispute.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It's a matter of preference.But you can't deny if one is really good.
Just like you can't say a pop artist is worse than a rock artist just because you don't like the genre he/she is singing.They're good in their choice of entertainment.

Yeah. I mean, music is usually a very subjective topic. You can say Katy Perry makes terrible music, but technically, that would not be true. I'm sure she ticks all the boxes in the 'rule book', so to speak. Her songs probably have bridges and choruses, so there's not really anything wrong with it. It's just your taste in music that makes it sound revolting. However, let's say a child is randomly banging on a xylophone. There's no melody in it, there's just chaos, and it conveys no emotion. Objectively, that is indeed bad music (unless you call it art XD). Eh, anyway, Vergil. Good or evil. Sorry for the off-topic post. Temporarily ban me if you like :p

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
But still technical level is objective point. For professionals. For us it's hard to say objectively who is better. Pretty same situation with the games.
Actually its different with music because it mainly bases its criteria on talent whereas a video game is made from a general framework where flaws&shortcomings can pinpointed for ex:the story,game length etc

Basically there is no way you can "judge" how good someone's talent is and how good the person is at using his voice pitches its just going to get super technical and if you're not educated enough in that field you can't participate in the argument.

EDIT: I just hope to God that anyone who reads this thread finds these posts relevant or at least interesting >_>

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I don't think he's inherently evil as a character, but he do a lot of evil things and that's granted, but he also has some valors that he takes very seriously (about being honored as a fighter, for example). If someone's morals tendencies could be view in a spectrum, he would be at the middle between evil and neutral. He's cold, brutal and does a lot of **** to reach his goals, but he's also very honored and has no intention to harm innocents actively and directly; he does his things while not even caring for other people, either for good or evil purposes. I would say he is better defined as a neutral and loyal character if he would be put in some RPG system like D&D 3.5.

>>Yamato<<

Vergil's sword and #1 fan!
*sits in corner* Well tell me people, is DANTE good? He's half human/angel half demon. He dose whatever he needs to do to kill demons who are responsible for killing his mother. Now tell me about Vergil. He's driven by power because he couldn't protect his mother from demons. Both have similar motives. But since Dante is the main character of the story and he's a "funny and more likable" character he is considered the good guy of the story. When I played Vergil's Downfall I felt like Dante was the main evil guy and he fit! It's all a general view. Imagine: You're Vergil and you are finally going to achive the power of your father, Sparda. The only person who stands in your way is Dante. Now already Dante is the bad guy here because Vergil is the main character right now.

Even in the quote "I just don't like you, that's all" wich PROOVES that Dante didnt even know what the heck Vergil was planning he just knew it-... What did he know? What he knew was he didn't like Vergil and whatever he was planning, he would stop. Both in eachothers eyes are "the bad guy". Just through different points if view.

Vergil isn't a bad guy. He was just a man tortured into believing power is everything. And that whole power lust thing puts him more into the group of "bad guys" but that dosn't MAKE him evil. He just has a different view of things and life. Give him some slack he's suffered through a lot and he still never get's a second shot. You people need to understand he's got a heart to... A cold, dark, shattered heart!
:'(

... I'm not the only one who understands right?

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
*sits in corner* Well tell me people, is DANTE good? He's half human/angel half demon. He dose whatever he needs to do to kill demons who are responsible for killing his mother. Now tell me about Vergil. He's driven by power because he couldn't protect his mother from demons. Both have similar motives. But since Dante is the main character of the story and he's a "funny and more likable" character he is considered the good guy of the story. When I played Vergil's Downfall I felt like Dante was the main evil guy and he fit! It's all a general view. Imagine: You're Vergil and you are finally going to achive the power of your father, Sparda. The only person who stands in your way is Dante. Now already Dante is the bad guy here because Vergil is the main character right now.

Even in the quote "I just don't like you, that's all" wich PROOVES that Dante didnt even know what the heck Vergil was planning he just knew it-... What did he know? What he knew was he didn't like Vergil and whatever he was planning, he would stop. Both in eachothers eyes are "the bad guy". Just through different points if view.

Vergil isn't a bad guy. He was just a man tortured into believing power is everything. And that whole power lust thing puts him more into the group of "bad guys" but that dosn't MAKE him evil. He just has a different view of things and life. Give him some slack he's suffered through a lot and he still never get's a second shot. You people need to understand he's got a heart to... A cold, dark, shattered heart!
:'(

... I'm not the only one who understands right?
Uh-huh, Yeah. Good guys throw women off towers and beat on dead bodies

>>Yamato<<

Vergil's sword and #1 fan!
LOL WUT ?? Vergil is a very simple character mind you i like the Rebooted version much more because he has more of a character depth then the original.

Lady is only slutty in DMC 4 in DMC 3 she wasn't like that at all she had a character in DMC 3.
images
182px-Lady_4.jpg
basically lady in DMC 4 is just there for being a sex appeal.

Dude.. he's a 2d character idk what's so hard to understand here !

> He unleashes Evil (Knowing that it will kill many humans)
> He Attempts to end his competition (His own brother)
> He wants to gain power at the expense of human world merging with demon world
> He is selfish and wants power but doesn't want to share it with others.

All these actions scream loud&clear that he is a in fact EVIL.

He never unleashed any evil at all. He was just going to revive Temen-Ni-Gru take force edge and the power of Sparda but he never actually unleashed any demons onto the human world. The demons were already there!

He never actually killed Dante and in the end of Devil May Cry 3 he even let Dante go free and he... p-plummeted down the c-c-c- cliff!
Because... Lets be honest! Vergil killed the wraith, Arkham, Beowulf, and all the bloody demons in less than a second! But since he still cares aboht his brother he holds back. As did I. I can cut through anything there was no reason why I couldn't cut through Dante's body.

"There have always been demons" Vergil never endangers the human world with Temen-Ni-Gru since Dante did kill about ever single demon in there anyways.

Well Arkham "couldn't handle" the power. Do you really think anyone can actually harness the power? (Except Vergil) Vergil isn't being selfish because frankly no one ever wanted a slice of his power cake. "Why do you refuse to gain power?" He even offered Dante a chance!
These are all very reasonable actions. That or I'm just to crazy on Vergil.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well tell me people, is DANTE good?
Yup pretty good he doesn't mean harm to anyone and doesn't like to use anyone for his own purposes so i'd count that as a good person in my book.

>He does whatever he needs to do to kill demons who are responsible for killing his mother.
Actually in the game "Nocturne" he decides to not obey his client and spare an innocent demon so that proves that he doesn't blindly follow vengeance he makes sure that the demons he kills are evil.
this game takes place after or before DMC 2 i guess.

>He's driven by power because he couldn't protect his mother from demons.
He never told that its only assumed by fans but i just see him as really obsessed with his demonic heritage

>Both have similar motives
Not really Dante wants to rid the world of evil demons and make friends vergil just wants power... for reasons unknown.

>When I played Vergil's Downfall
this thread is about DMC3's vergil

>Just through different points if view.
Except Dante is the good guy and vergil is a power hungry psycho that is :D

>but that dosn't MAKE him evil.
Well let's see

> He unleashed Tem-ni-gru knowing that demons would be released into the human world (Cruel)
> He manipulated dante into getting his amulet and bludgeoned his brother in the process(Selfish)
> He ordered arkham to kill lady and killed arkham for not obeying his orders (Pretty cruel)
> He doesn't care about anyone around him all he cares about is his powers (Selfish)

>Give him some slack he's suffered through a lot
would you say the same for hitler ? LOL
He never unleashed any evil at all.
NOT really he erected tem-ni-gru and that destroyed a lot of the urban areas and also spawned many of the lesser demons around even in the end lady says "we have to clean this place"

>He never actually killed Dante and in the end of Devil May Cry 3
Well Dante WON so it was dante who let vergil go free.
>But since he still cares aboht his brother he holds back.
Like where did you get that from ? i need source for this
>"Why do you refuse to gain power?" He even offered Dante a chance!
Eh that's not offering that's questioning he never offered dante anything

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
This is getting a bit annoying, to be honest. ''No, Vergil is not evil, he just has different standards!'' ''No, he's not evil, just traumatized, which magically makes everything he does NOT EVIL''. ''I see someone as evil if he/she commits mass murder.'' ...wat.
''Yes, but Vergil had a good reason to kill Arkham/do the thingamajig with the doohickey.'' So? Having a reason to kill someone doesn't make it okay. How could you justify something so heinous?
OR BETTER YET, ''he's crazy! Batshit crazy!'' No. I see him as selfish and cruel, and competitive, but definitely not crazy.

He tried to kill Arkham. He'd kill his brother if he could. He probably didn't give a **** about all the humans living near where the Temen Ni Gru was erected. Deaths are acceptable to him. However, that doesn't mean it's acceptable to me, or that it should be to me or anyone else. Besides, it's not even proved that he's traumatized or anything else.

Top Bottom