• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is the game still selling?

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
Last time someone posted on this blog, I believe the game was on 1,4 million copies sold.

I just really want the game to get that 2 million mark it deserves. I don't care when, I just want it to happen.

Steam purchases also count right? Because the current sale is helping, I think. I see people left and right putting DmC on their wishlist or buying it. 12,50 is a great deal for the game + all DLC. I even got my colleague to buy it! :D

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
you're asking us? Sure we can give you our best guesses and anecdotal "my friend bought the game, my other friend didn't" responses, but that won't count for very much. When they hit the 2 million mark, you'll hear about it, they like announcing their milestones like that. Or maybe they won't; who knows, this many years and after reducing their sales estimate twice, they might just not want to talk about it any more

sssensational

Supporter 2014
(Wikipedia) - So you know, if you trust Wiki? States as of June 14, 1.6 million copies have been sold.

That's a good number to me. I like to think that the game is still doing fairly well.

I'm just annoyed that it's so difficult to find it in stores. Anybody else have that? I already own the game, but I often walk into a video game store to search for DmC and I either don't find it at all or find it for 59,99. How are you expecting to sell a game with that price and such limited quantity?

Now, if I put MGR next to it, that game is everywhere, and 50% cheaper. It's easy for the consumer to make the choice then.

Sunaka Marién

I'm just annoyed that it's so difficult to find it in stores. Anybody else have that? I already own the game, but I often walk into a video game store to search for DmC and I either don't find it at all or find it for 59,99. How are you expecting to sell a game with that price and such limited quantity?

Now, if I put MGR next to it, that game is everywhere, and 50% cheaper. It's easy for the consumer to make the choice then.
I find it really weird how the game is still so expensive in the Netherlands. Here it's 19.99 everywhere, across all platforms.
It's isn't all that readily available here either, especially not if you're looking for the PS3 version. They do have the 360 at Media Markt, tho. Which I always put on the top rows of that software-pyramid thingy.
Oh, and Gamestop are still flooded with SoS Editions of the game it seems. Wich they're selling at 16.99. It's just sad, really.

The reason as to why they have such a limited stock is probably because it isn't selling so well, as stupid as it may sound, since they're not going to stock up on something that is unlikely to sell.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's honestly in the middle of the pack with all that stuff. It sells decently well, but oftentimes restockings take long, because games of this nature have trickling sales. I've said before how titles in the character action genre, or whatever we call it, never do incredible right out of the gate, but sales trickle in as time goes by as interest is piqued by word-of-mouth and videos of all the cool stuff you can do and experience. But because of that, demand seems wonky. People want it, but it's difficult to find sometimes because...people...don't always want it.

Prices, on the other hand, are dependent usually on the market in which you're seeing it. Where I'm from, normal copies of a new game just out are usually $59.99 (or cheaper), but here in Canada where I am now the they cost $69.99. If I remember correctly, things are even more expensive in places like Australia and New Zealand @_@

Kam

That's a good number to me. I like to think that the game is still doing fairly well.

dude, steam. I bought the game on sale for like 20 dollars, and that was over a year ago. Right now is the (tail end of) capcom publisher weekend, where all capcom games on steam are being sold for 50-80% off. DmC is 12.49 right now in the US, and the complete DLC pack is just 3 dollars. If you're buying a hard copy of a console game when you could buy that same game on steam, you deserve all the pain you're experiencing right now.

Plus the FPS isn't capped to 30, and you don't get the occasional frame rate loss that you occasionally see in the console version because unreal runs fantastic on PCs (unless your PC is a toaster). Also there's some killer mods out there; I know for a fact that SamD has been doing some insanely cool stuff with a modded PC version of the game that he occasionally posts videos of. Oh, and the added benefit of the steam copy is if your computer ever bricks, all your data is backed up by steam and you can pick up from where you left off, but if your xbox red rings, you're ****ed

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If you're buying a hard copy of a console game when you could buy that same game on steam, you deserve all the pain you're experiencing right now.
Come on, don't say that. You're coming off rude.

Besides, a lot of people out there prefer hard copies for their own reasons. Not everyone has to go digital.

Kam

Come on, don't say that. You're coming off rude.

Besides, a lot of people out there prefer hard copies for their own reasons. Not everyone has to go digital.
if you're going to a store looking for a $59 hard copy of a game that is on sale for 12, for a system that costs less than the console and runs better, me being rude should be at the bottom of your list of woes. Is the advantages of a hard copy really worth losing out on everything else?

Plus sssensational wanted to know how well the game was selling, so pointing out a weekend long, 80% off sale for all PC gamers seemed pretty relevant. If you're looking for the big flood of sales figures to boost those numbers, your local gamestop is the last place you should be scoping out.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
if you're going to a store looking for a $59 hard copy of a game that is on sale for 12, for a system that costs less than the console and runs better, me being rude should be at the bottom of your list of woes. Is the advantages of a hard copy really worth losing out on everything else?

I am that type of person that loves being able to TOUCH a game once I fall in love with it. I have a physical copy of DmC for my PC yet I bought it a while ago on Steam. Why did I buy it? Just so that I could put it on my shelf and look at it occassionally. ;-)

Oh, and by the way, if you want to call me out on my BS you might as well take into account the fact that I just paid for DmC on steam 3 times again. I just love giving it to other people, sue me.

I find it really weird how the game is still so expensive in the Netherlands. Here it's 19.99 everywhere, across all platforms.
It's isn't all that readily available here either, especially not if you're looking for the PS3 version. They do have the 360 at Media Markt, tho. Which I always put on the top rows of that software-pyramid thingy.
Oh, and Gamestop are still flooded with SoS Editions of the game it seems. Wich they're selling at 16.99. It's just sad, really.

The reason as to why they have such a limited stock is probably because it isn't selling so well, as stupid as it may sound, since they're not going to stock up on something that is unlikely to sell.

Are you from the Netherlands too? Yeah Media Markt has it at full retail price, still. Bart Smit, same story. Now, Nedgame offers it for 22, but where can one find a Nedgame? I have to travel an hour if I want to get there. ((I always take the opportunity to move DmC forward on the shelves))

I'd love an SoS edition! But that's just because I'm a fan. I wouldn't mind paying 16,99. Though the necklace in that edition looks a little too stiff for my taste.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It's weird it's full price anywhere as of now. In germany games dropping from price pretty fast, except rare japanese RPGs. Also I didn't noticed it being rare or anything. I was in gamestop last week and saw at least 2 copies in bargain bin for used games .

Sunaka Marién

Are you from the Netherlands too? Yeah Media Markt has it at full retail price, still. Bart Smit, same story. Now, Nedgame offers it for 22, but where can one find a Nedgame? I have to travel an hour if I want to get there. ((I always take the opportunity to move DmC forward on the shelves))

I'd love an SoS edition! But that's just because I'm a fan. I wouldn't mind paying 16,99. Though the necklace in that edition looks a little too stiff for my taste.
Nah, I'm from Germany. I just know you're from the Netherlands because of Tumblr, haha.
Don't you guys have that Software Pyramid thingy at Media Markt? All the games on there are only 20€.
And I also always move DmC forward on the shelves, welp.

Yeah, the SoS edition is a nice thing to have :3 I've even got two. the necklace really is quite stiff, but it's still cool to have. Not sure if they ship to countries outside of Germany, but you could try ordering one on their online store.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
Nah, I'm from Germany. I just know you're from the Netherlands because of Tumblr, haha.
Don't you guys have that Software Pyramid thingy at Media Markt? All the games on there are only 20€.
And I also always move DmC forward on the shelves, welp.

Yeah, the SoS edition is a nice thing to have :3 I've even got two. the necklace really is quite stiff, but it's still cool to have. Not sure if they ship to countries outside of Germany, but you could try ordering one on their online store.

I don't really go to the Media Markt all that often. I simply don't like them (or maybe I don't like the stores in my neighbourhood), they're not cheap and their amount of video games is always disappointing. In fact, I'm aiming to open up my own store because I'm getting kinda sick of this, lol.

I'll check it out! I'd love to get my hands on an SoS edition, just because I'm a collector. :D

I heard the game had more PlayStation Plus downloads than normal purchases.

EDIT: Okay, not MORE, but close.

Well, that's logical because you know, free.

Kam

I am that type of person that loves being able to TOUCH a game once I fall in love with it. I have a physical copy of DmC for my PC yet I bought it a while ago on Steam. Why did I buy it? Just so that I could put it on my shelf and look at it occassionally. ;-)

Oh, and by the way, if you want to call me out on my BS you might as well take into account the fact that I just paid for DmC on steam 3 times again. I just love giving it to other people, sue me.
how dare I not take into account all those things you didn't mention until afterward. I'm such a ****up

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Last time someone posted on this blog, I believe the game was on 1,4 million copies sold.

I just really want the game to get that 2 million mark it deserves. I don't care when, I just want it to happen.

Steam purchases also count right? Because the current sale is helping, I think. I see people left and right putting DmC on their wishlist or buying it. 12,50 is a great deal for the game + all DLC. I even got my colleague to buy it! :D
If Capcom put out another Devil May Cry title, to attract another audience, to build onto the fanbase some more, I'm sure fans of the new game will go 'HOLY MOLY there's a whole series?' and then go out and buy DmC. Imagine. Another, newly created fanbase. More sales for Capcom. Potentially more sales for DmC.
I'm totally not hinting or anything at Capcom :whistle:

Kam

If Capcom put out another Devil May Cry title, to attract another audience, to build onto the fanbase some more, I'm sure fans of the new game will go 'HOLY MOLY there's a whole series?' and then go out and buy DmC. Imagine. Another, newly created fanbase. More sales for Capcom. Potentially more sales for DmC.
I'm totally not hinting or anything at Capcom :whistle:
I'm kinda hoping they show a little love to the original fanbase. A lot of us liked the original series the way it is, and sure other people have different tastes, but why not just make a different game to suit those guys? Why take something people already loved and change it into something else because you want a different fanbase? I'll pretty much be sore about this forever

sssensational

Supporter 2014
I'm kinda hoping they show a little love to the original fanbase. A lot of us liked the original series the way it is, and sure other people have different tastes, but why not just make a different game to suit those guys? Why take something people already loved and change it into something else because you want a different fanbase? I'll pretty much be sore about this forever

I totally get where you're coming from, but I think Capcom has put themselves into a position where people will be sore no matter what they do. I mean, if they drop DmC and continue with the original franchise, I'm sure lots of people will be happy, but it's just not my personal cup of tea and then I'd feel sore for having to look elsewhere for a good action game.

I don't know why certain games don't really appeal to me, they just don't. I'm sure they're great games, mind you, but to each their own I suppose.

Tbh I just want them to give the IP to Ninja Theory, let them take control of the franchise and Capcom can go back to Devil May Cry. It might be confusing having two franchises out that sound the same, but I think it could work. However, I highly doubt that this is going to happen.

Top Bottom