• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is it normal for the XBox to get this hot?

berto

I Saw the Devil
I hadn't used my 360 in a while and I was installing a game and I put the controller right on top of the ventilation. When I pick the controller up it really hot. I turn the thing off and a few hours latter I start playing the game. I check the xbox and it's really hot. Is that normal?

It's a black elite 360, 250gigs, and I have it set up horizontally.

seraphmaycry

Unless the xbox hss been going for several hours it shouldn't get very heated, installing a game shouldn't be particularly stressful either. Doesn't sound like you've been doing anything wrong. Is the fan broken or damaged? is it making excessive noise? If you can fix the heat by using a fan, then the xbox fan may need replacing, I'm sure there ard better tests thag can be done. Try also the usual nonsense, make xbox vertical, and change the power source. I've also heard there are extra fans yoy can buy and just plug in. You can put in a free space so air can circulate more easily. Don't place on heat absorbing surfaces.

Hope at least some of this helped.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I can't tell if the fan is working. The area around the vent is really warm. The rest of the xbox is fine but it's not very loud nor can I hear much.

Dark Drakan

Admin
That's the ventilation, it's going to get warm from time to time. Make sure there's no dust blocking the vent itself & don't rest things over it when console is running. As you hadn't used it in a while there might have been a dust buildup either inside or on vent/fan itself. Usually not much to worry about.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Should I vacuum it? My PS3 is a fatty that's backwards compatible so I have to vacuum it on a monthly bases and that's help with it's life span.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Should I vacuum it? My PS3 is a fatty that's backwards compatible so I have to vacuum it on a monthly bases and that's help with it's life span.

Could give it a careful vacuum yeah & brush out the vents a little to make sure air is flowing well.

berto

I Saw the Devil
No. I bought my XBox at gamestop andit had a one year warranty which just ended a few months ago.
I once asked best buy about repairs and warranty and they told me unless I bought it there and unless I got the warranty within 15 days of the purchase they don't do repairs.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Before my 360 'died' its fan was really loud (louder than usual) and the discs where getting very warm (practically hot, but not hot enough that they were untouchable, if that makes sense).

If your's isn't like that then it probably just needs what Dark Drakan said (i.e. clearing dust.)

Top Bottom