• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is DMC2 Canon or has Capcom erased it from the timeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper

Premium
I know it isn't Kamiya's game, but anyone with common sense would take in to account the game's predecessors when working on a prequel. And don't take what I said about DMC 1 literally.

If Kamiya was still on board this franchise throughout, DMC 3 would have never happened the way it did.

It's kind of a thin excuse saying it was Dante only remembering what he wanted to remember. Sure it was a happier memory, but he doesn't have many memories with Vergil.

We're told he lost his family 20 years ago. He's 28 in DMC 1. When he defeats Nelo Angelo, he only finds out it was Vergil when he discovers the amulet. The amulet also I'm guessing in Kaimiya's mind at the time, wasn't a supernatural item, but simply a family heirloom.

Seriously, even Kamiya talked about this and doesn't agree with the liberties taken when it came to DMC 3. That kind of story was never supposed to happen. Vergil was supposed to be dead and gone. Not somehow being a d!ck about things and seeing his brother off and on in the past decade.

Nero is definitely the walking plot hole.
The amulet was always a supernatural item, even back then Perfect amulet + Force Edge makes the Sparda sword, though there is a scene later on where it's seen separately, probably for the sake of drama. DMC3 only made it also be a key to the demon world.

Yes, Trish said he lost mother and brother 20 years ago. Dante could have easily thought she doesn't know about events of Temen-ni-gru. He could have also thought Nelo Angelo was just another devil playing tricks on him. It's kinda hard to expect brother you saw fall into demon world 9 years ago to show up on that very island and on the side of the bad guys, with a different fighting style.

Thin excuses... maybe. But DMC3 is canon, so you'll just have to learn to accept that fact.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
I know it isn't Kamiya's game, but anyone with common sense would take in to account the game's predecessors when working on a prequel. And don't take what I said about DMC 1 literally.

If Kamiya was still on board this franchise throughout, DMC 3 would have never happened the way it did.

It's kind of a thin excuse saying it was Dante only remembering what he wanted to remember. Sure it was a happier memory, but he doesn't have many memories with Vergil.

We're told he lost his family 20 years ago. He's 28 in DMC 1. When he defeats Nelo Angelo, he only finds out it was Vergil when he discovers the amulet. The amulet also I'm guessing in Kaimiya's mind at the time, wasn't a supernatural item, but simply a family heirloom.

Seriously, even Kamiya talked about this and doesn't agree with the liberties taken when it came to DMC 3. That kind of story was never supposed to happen. Vergil was supposed to be dead and gone. Not somehow being a d!ck about things and seeing his brother off and on in the past decade.

Nero is definitely the walking plot hole.

Got a link?

Devil Player

Lol, Capcom wrote themselves into a corner...:)

They don't know how to make a sequel after DMC 2, which is why they keep making prequels and prequels, even though they made a DMC 1 sequel ( DMC 4) which works as a prequel to DMC 2. This is embarassing.

They don't care about continuity, they don't care about the details, they care about nothing. A perfect sequel would be called Devils Never Cry, given the fact that both Dante and Trish changed the shop's name in DMC 1. In DMC 4, it's Devil May Cry again.

Just give us a DMC where Dante must fight his way out of the hell. He got there in DMC 2. By the way, how the hell his bike was in hell, is beyond me. :)

They still have to make a DMC game to explain why did Dante turn into the one we saw in DMC 2. So, that alone would be another prequel. Then, we could have a sequel set after DMC 2. If they're going with a sequel, then give us a Vergl game where this time he's the hero and he's looking for Dante. Nobody cares about Nero and they should have never created him....So, maybe they ignore Nero and give us another DMC focused on the characters we all like. XD

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Devil Player
Tbh I think they should resolved DMC2's questions a long time a go (DMC3) and that would have given Nero more room to breath so if they wanted to go forward with the classics I rather they just resolve 4 first before trying something new or something in the middle.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yes, Trish said he lost mother and brother 20 years ago. Dante could have easily thought she doesn't know about events of Temen-ni-gru. He could have also thought Nelo Angelo was just another devil playing tricks on him. It's kinda hard to expect brother you saw fall into demon world 9 years ago to show up on that very island and on the side of the bad guys, with a different fighting style.

I'm sorry but that's a load of bull pocky because DMC3 wasn't even a factor in Kamiya's mind in making DMC1. Which means there was no Temen-ni-gru, no prequel Vergil, and no Lady either. Anything that had to do with DMC3 wasn't something that Kamiya had in mind and as such, the comment about Trish talking about Dante losing a mother and a brother was accurate in the DMC1 story arc. And that's where one of the first plotholes was born.

Viper

Premium
I'm sorry but that's a load of bull pocky because DMC3 wasn't even a factor in Kamiya's mind in making DMC1. Which means there was no Temen-ni-gru, no prequel Vergil, and no Lady either. Anything that had to do with DMC3 wasn't something that Kamiya had in mind and as such, the comment about Trish talking about Dante losing a mother and a brother was accurate in the DMC1 story arc. And that's where one of the first plotholes was born.
Thank you for completely missing all my posts where I said that DMC3 and DMC1 were not properly connected in that point because DMC3 wasn't Kamiya's and therefore not in his mind.
What I said in the post you quoted was a fan's way of bringing these two games together to make some kind of sense instead of just crying "plotholes, plotholes" and even trying to proclaim a whole game non-canon cause of that.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Trish states dante lost a mother and brother to evil twenty years ago , that contradicts nothing , dante and vergil seperated as kids when eva died

vergil then went down the dark path which can tie into that statement

Basically this.

Eva - Dante and Vergil lost her aged 8.

Vergil - Dante lost him as a brother. Not because of death, but because of the evil things that happened.

If Trish had simply said 'lost', you would assume that meant dead. She says "lost to evil", which as we just mentioned can mean several things. When it's open to interpretation like that I don't see it as a contradiction.

Then again the thread is to do with DMC 2 anyway, so.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I dont really think of DMC2 and DMC4 as plotholes but more as unanswered questions since plotholes tend to be messing around with an established fact/moment.

DMC2/DMC4 are too vague in its setup to be a plotholes to me and they dont outright contradict things. Hell the only thing i know for sure about DMC4 is that its set after DMC1.

the problem i have is less about them not thinking ahead but more about them doing things sloppy because half the problems we had with the story were avoidable had they made more an effort to actually be consistent or taken an easier route.

An easier way to appeal to a younger generation than what they did would be to have given Dante a son and introduced him as the one on the motorcycle Lucia hears. You have him curious about who lucia is and what happened to Dante and there's your setup.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Thank you for completely missing all my posts where I said that DMC3 and DMC1 were not properly connected in that point because DMC3 wasn't Kamiya's and therefore not in his mind.
What I said in the post you quoted was a fan's way of bringing these two games together to make some kind of sense instead of just crying "plotholes, plotholes" and even trying to proclaim a whole game non-canon cause of that.

You can't exactly bring the two together like that because one would assume Mundus would tell the history of Dante's life to Trish including the battle between Dante and Vergil in DMC3, but he didn't and Trish didn't mention it because DMC3 wasn't a factor in Kamiya's mind when doing DMC1. We could go the easy way out and assume Mundus didn't tell her about that part, but whose to say.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Basically this.

Eva - Dante and Vergil lost her aged 8.

Vergil - Dante lost him as a brother. Not because of death, but because of the evil things that happened.

If Trish had simply said 'lost', you would assume that meant dead. She says "lost to evil", which as we just mentioned can mean several things. When it's open to interpretation like that I don't see it as a contradiction.

Then again the thread is to do with DMC 2 anyway, so.

But then Dante says this

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To be honest I rather keep it canon and go from there since the franchise would be better off with it resolved rather leave it as the mess hidden under the bed (so to speak)

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
DMC2 as canon confirmed:

Kobayashi''': The timeline of the Devil May Cry series can be difficult to keep track of since the four games don't exactly occur one after the another. To set the record straight, the chronological progression goes like this: DMC 3 is the earliest, followed by DMC 1, then 4, and finally 2. It should also be noted that despite rampant internet rumors, the events of DMC 2 are not being removed from the series' canon .They occur very far after the events of 4.

Game Informer'' Kobayashi Interview October 2006

Dante is in 30's in DMC4:
'''Kobayashi''': Well you will have to forgive me for not knowing about the personality of Dante in part 2 because I didn't work on that one. In 3, Dante is very young and hot-blooded, in his teens. In 4, he is in his 30's but he is still Dante and he is still kind of hot-blooded. Dante will always have the sort of audacious quality to him.
''Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview''. Game Informer magazine, September 2006.:[http://web.archive.org/web/20071109114628/http://www.gameinformer.com

LoyalDanteFan

DMC2 as canon confirmed:

Kobayashi''': The timeline of the Devil May Cry series can be difficult to keep track of since the four games don't exactly occur one after the another. To set the record straight, the chronological progression goes like this: DMC 3 is the earliest, followed by DMC 1, then 4, and finally 2. It should also be noted that despite rampant internet rumors, the events of DMC 2 are not being removed from the series' canon .They occur very far after the events of 4.

Game Informer'' Kobayashi Interview October 2006

Dante is in 30's in DMC4:
'''Kobayashi''': Well you will have to forgive me for not knowing about the personality of Dante in part 2 because I didn't work on that one. In 3, Dante is very young and hot-blooded, in his teens. In 4, he is in his 30's but he is still Dante and he is still kind of hot-blooded. Dante will always have the sort of audacious quality to him.
''Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview''. Game Informer magazine, September 2006.:[http://web.archive.org/web/20071109114628/http://www.gameinformer.com

That is what I call proof. XD

Also, I knew Dante's in his 30's in DMC 4! Now I can gloat to my friend that I was right.

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
Here's what I have come to understand.... the canon order is
DMC 3 Manga
DMC 3
DMC 1
Anime
DMC 4
DMC 5

DMC 2 will be set way in the future. That was always my thought.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I question more whether or not DMC 3 and 4 are canon.
Your post has triggered me.

Shin Megami Tensei Dante is the only Dante in my own personal headcanon anyway.

That guy would literally slash anyone he meets into oblivion...

"Until then, try and keep yourself alive. Who knows? Maybe I'll have another chance to #### you."

------------------------

Even OP DMC4 Dante would hesitate before saying something like that to the actual Demi-fiend.

[0:40 in the vid]

------------------------

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Demi-fiend

"Demi-fiend's difficulty has made him an infamous boss fight, appearing as #1 on multiple Top-10 most Difficult RPG Bosses, and many other gaming websites also consider him the most difficult as well. The Random Battle Music from Nocturne plays during his encounter, generally believed to represent his view of the battle as an everyday, random encounter."

-------------------------

As far as I'm concerned, this is what happens after Dante rides into void at the end of DMC2.

There's bound to be at least a few alternate dimensions down there worth exploring...

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
i don't have much to remember about dmc2 but why do people keep saying "how dante changed that way" to DMC2 dante, he isn't strikingly different imo, especially if you compare it to the first game since it is the direct sequel.. but if you compare to 3 and 4 then he is different, but that would also make the first dante different too

everytime i see the videos he still has quite the same personality, the only thing that made him strikingly different than other dantes is the brooding artworks, which are cool..

and wether it's canon or not, it's always canon to me, i won't take seriously what capcom or the creators think about it, to deny a game's existence because they think it's not that good is too stupid, it's done and it carries devil may cry name so it'll forever be a devil may cry game..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom