• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Dante that important anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
There is still alot that can be done with Dante but there is also alot that can be done without him. alot of fans would be very unhappy if capcom announced a Devil May Cry game without Dante but they would get over it and probably like the game.

personally i think Dante is cooler than Nero and would prefer it if Dante remained a major part of the series but Dante is no longer reqired. Nero should get at least one more game as the main charicter to explain who he is. then i think it would probably be better to give the series back to Dante ( but it wouldn't be the end of the world if Nero stayed as the main charicter for a few more games)

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Did Dante REALLY have anything to do with DMC2 and 4 or was he just there because it started with him?
I am not saying that Dante should be clean cut out of the series but I have no problem whatsoever playing a game that seemingly takes the series nowhere (like 2 and 4) to introduce a new character or take the series in a new direction even if it's just to allow a bit more wiggle room for creativity. As long as the story and gameplay are good I will always buy DMC no matter where they take it.
I would obviously like to see Dante as the one who brings the series to a close one way or another but imo he doesn't NEED to be in every single game, especially when the story doesn't really have that much to do with him. As long as he comes back when he needs to I don't necessarily think Dante IS DMC.
I see DMC as a story of the heart and the definition of good and evil. Not just Dante shooting demons and saying clever things.

Short answer: No, not until they decide to wrap it up.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I feel that unless they have a character arc for Dante to go thru then they should not necessarily have Dante in the game just because they want to appease the fanbase.
Nero should be used more in his own spinoff series on the psp should Devil May Cry branch because i don't need dante on the psp outside of another prequel. Or in his own anime or comic book because he is easier to write in a passive medium such as comic books or anime.

Mephisto

Using Alchemy to hunt those Demons down!
I-I don't know. You see, I loved Dante even before I even KNEW what DMC was lol. Anyways, I agree with the user who posted that he is just an icon to the title of DMC. But still! I friggin' love him! But then again there's Nero...AHH! Dante = Nero

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
On the Nero and Dante debate - both characters have potential for growth. Every character ever thought up does. So Nero cried out for Kyrie more times than was necessary, and he actually cried at one point because...well geeze, he was kinda trapped in some ugly bastard's heart and couldn't get out fast enough and he was frustrated that he was where he was because he wasn't able to prevent his capture. I'd be friggin crying too, y'know. That doesn't make him any less than Dante. The same thing about him being younger - younger usually equates to raw strength, which can be daunting. If Nero had had the experience Dante had when facing him in that battle, yeah he would have totally owned Dante's ass. The point is, he didn't have that experience, even after being part of the Order and fighting demons for x amount of years, he still wasn't good enough to pawn Dante. That's where Nero falls short, and that's why Nero wouldn't be fit to be cast as the main character. I can't see him running a devil hunting business - that would put Kyrie at risk, because he'd be pulled into these demonic dealings ALL the time because it's his job. If he was to make a name for himself like Dante, it would be even all the more reason not to have a loved one at all. I always thought that's why Dante was flying solo, because he didn't want anyone close to him to get hurt because of what he does and who he is.
Anyway!

Should Dante come back in the series? YES! Why? There's way too much of his story that we don't know yet, that's all guess work by fans.

Should the series concentrate on Nero? No, not at all. He was introduced into the series as a lonewolf in an Order that was twisted. He saved his girl at the end and he was half demon at the end. Yeah his story could continue, but I'd leave that continuation up to the fanfictioners.

Dante's role in the series may have become fan service, but you need to keep in mind where Capcom has prevailed and where they have failed. Dante is now seen as fan service because he was a co-player in DMC2 and DMC4. He wasn't the center, and really at the end of the day he didn't have THAT much of a major role to play. BUT, DMC1 and DMC3 focussed on Dante, and in BOTH of those games you can see serious character development take place. Do you see the difference here? Do you see where I'm going with this? The best medicine for the series at this point is to keep Dante in the main spotlight and give his character that chance to redeem itself and grow further. A character is only stale when there is no progress made. DMC1 and 3 showed the potential Dante has and how well the series could become if they keep him as the main character.

All I've really done here is elaborated on my initial 'well because he's the main character!' answer.

Oh. And.

Dante is awesome.

Osaka

trollololol
Unless you want to totally deviate away from what is the core of DMC's world then yes, Dante is and will always be important. I welcome new characters with open arms since it breaths new life into DMC's world but I will have a problem with future developers if they keep using Dante as a "filler".
I'd just like to see Dante in top form (not getting anymore OTT) with a great storyline in maybe another 1 or 2 games after DmC. If you want Nero, or whoever else pops up in future games, to be the sole main character then it should be on their own merit and nothing to do with DMC.

Oh. And.

Dante is awesome.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Osaka;298997 said:
If you want Nero, or whoever else pops up in future games, to be the sole main character then it should be on their own merit and nothing to do with DMC.

[/I][/B]

if a Devil May Cry charicter is the main charicter in a game it is related to Devil May Cry. they might decide not to call it a Devil May Cry game but it would still be one. and Nero and Lucia were the main charicters of their respecitive games on their own merit. how else can someone be the main charicter? ( no seriously explain that one to me. i am reallly confused. what do you mean by that?:huh:?)

Osaka

trollololol
darkslayer13;299001 said:
if a Devil May Cry charicter is the main charicter in a game it is related to Devil May Cry. they might decide not to call it a Devil May Cry game but it would still be one. and Nero and Lucia were the main charicters of their respecitive games on their own merit. how else can someone be the main charicter? ( no seriously explain that one to me. i am reallly confused. what do you mean by that?:huh:?)

I'm a little confused with how you've put it but here goes -What I meant was that if nero or someone else is going to be the sole main character then what would be the problem with doing it without anything that has ties with Dante and DMC? I mean why couldn't Nero (or Lucia or any future characters) be able to support himself in his own game with a totally different story? (And I don't mean his past either.) As I said I'd rather Dante did not keep popping up as filler and just get on with being the main character.

I think that sums it otherwise I'm going to go round in circles.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
It kind of saddens me that people don't care about Nero enough to want to know his backstory. It's that very attitude that got them to make DmC, you know.

EDIT: I'm sorry if that sounded rude. It's just that saying that you don't even care just seems very counterproductive to me. To me, Dante has been used up. If they can make him better than he was in DMC1, then by all means I'll be pleasantly surprised. But until that day comes, I'm sticking with Nero.

Osaka

trollololol
Storm Silves;299003 said:
It kind of saddens me that people don't care about Nero enough to want to know his backstory. It's that very attitude that got them to make DmC, you know.

Didn't say I didn't care about Nero's past, just that I was talking about him having his own adventure in a "none dmc" story. Besides he could have his past done in writen form. Is it really that bad if it wasn't in a game?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Osaka;299005 said:
Didn't say I didn't care about Nero's past, just that I was talking about him having his own adventure in a "none dmc" story. Besides he could have his past done in writen form. Is it really that bad if it wasn't in a game?

I would prefer a game to a book. I don't read very often. Is it really that bad if it WAS a game?

Why not make two game simultaneously? One for Nero's past, then another for Dante. Then everyone would be happy and the bickering could cease.

Osaka

trollololol
Storm Silves;299006 said:
I would prefer a game to a book. I don't read very often. Is it really that bad if it WAS a game?

Why not make two game simultaneously? One for Nero's past, then another for Dante. Then everyone would be happy and the bickering could cease.

Let's both stop with the "really bad?" since it'll go no where. And yes that's a great idea, I'd buy that, but the only draw back to that would be cost and time.

Edit: agh! you keep editing your posts! The reason I go for wanting the games to concentrate on Dante again is to wrap up his story nicely and not let it drag out until it just becomes a lifeless cash cow and totally loses it's worth.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
On that first point... Yeah, I agree. Sorry for the unintentional flame-bait. >_<

But see, the sales would be so good that it would most likely balance out.

Osaka

trollololol
Storm Silves;299008 said:
But see, the sales would be so good that it would most likely balance out.

Maybe, maybe, but I can't see it happening....Though saying that think back to when DMC came out. Who would have thought that DMC2 would come out with 2 disks with one having Lucia's point of view of the story? I never did. So maybe it could happen....

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Now that I think about it Dante is still important to the DMC Dante IS DMC! Adding Vergil and Nero were GREAT but in the end Dante IS DMC and that's all you really need. Side note: As for Nero he is somehow part of Sparda's blood line that's good enough for me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom