• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I'm not impressed anymore.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
For some odd reason, and I honestly don't know why, but now every time I see a DMC4 combo vid...I'm not impressed. I guess it's because I've seen so much and after a while, they all look the same. It's like "Get 'em in the air, go crazy". and that's a wrap, on to the next enemy. I just dont feel as hyped as I use to with those combo vids.:/

Either I need to see a combo vid that's really impressive, or I just don't see the appeal for them anymore.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Either I need to see a combo vid that's really impressive, or I just don't see the appeal for them anymore.
I know what you mean. This is the exact reason as to why I'm frustrated with the hack n' slash market right now. There just aren't any games that are exactly like DMC3. Or even close, for that matter. Bayonetta doesn't even have RG -- and like I've said before, 'Witch Time' doesn't count.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Ninja Gaiden 2/NGS2 have some cool combo potential and is a top-quality hack'n'slash too, i've bought NGS just now to start with the series in my own console.

But, by the way, that "abuse" of jump-cancel was something that all the hardcore DMC community get somehow tired about with the time, but still you can find some impressive and creative videos like this one:

Pay attention to how switfly he times Lucifer's and CS3 explosions:

sparda@nana

The Legendary Dark Knight
Ninja Gaiden 2/NGS2 have some cool combo potential and is a top-quality hack'n'slash too, i've bought NGS just now to start with the series in my own console.

But, by the way, that "abuse" of jump-cancel was something that all the hardcore DMC community get somehow tired about with the time, but still you can find some impressive and creative videos like this one:

god damn fabulous time matching:O

3:44
PERFECT

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
For some odd reason, and I honestly don't know why, but now every time I see a DMC4 combo vid...I'm not impressed. I guess it's because I've seen so much and after a while, they all look the same. It's like "Get 'em in the air, go crazy". and that's a wrap, on to the next enemy. I just dont feel as hyped as I use to with those combo vids.:/

I do agree, however there is kinda a reason that things are the way they are.
There are a lot of different techniques available for ground based combat (check out Incneet, he does some fantastic ground based stuff) however there simply isn't as much as you can do in the air. The problem is we're still releasing content for a 5+ year old game and to the community that uploads videos the ground based stuff typically becomes much more stagnant, we've seen Yamato-guard cancels, we've seen double weapon switch combos, we've seen reverse attacks in fact we've seen pretty much everything possible from ground based combat (technically we did within a month of the games release). Unfortunately the only way to get any variety now-a-days is to do the more "adventurous" aerial based combos as there's so many more options possible and a lot of other things on the ground would be considered too standard/easy for a showcase such as a combo video.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Devil May Cry isn't one of those games that is particularly fun to watch. I'd rather play it myself so I couldn't care less what another person does. I don't want to watch Let's Plays unless it's entertaining. Which is why I really only watch Two Best Friends. At least they're funny.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Devil May Cry isn't one of those games that is particularly fun to watch. I'd rather play it myself so I couldn't care less what another person does. I don't want to watch Let's Plays unless it's entertaining. Which is why I really only watch Two Best Friends. At least they're funny.
It was fun (a lot of fun for me, anyway) for a good long while now. Then when combos vids started to repeat themselves using tricks (and I don't mean 'the usual combo/JC tricks' I mean almost everything you could think of) we've seen before, that's when things just started to get boring.

I'll go back to watching them again once some time has passed and I've forgotten some of the tricks they've used.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You're right. I should watch them. :|

tumblr_mcrnvz9Pm91rrpsd7.gif

:troll:

IncarnatedDemon

Like Spawn said, this game is old.

My biggest wish for DMC 5 is - Vergil. I really would love a game dedicated to Vergil, from a gameplay perspective the most.

A game with 1 character - that is exceptionally good is better than a game with 2 characters that's just "good".

:D

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Cool, but...the only thing I did like was the usage of the Lucifer and the switching, but other then that...meh or me.

I do agree, however there is kinda a reason that things are the way they are.
There are a lot of different techniques available for ground based combat (check out Incneet, he does some fantastic ground based stuff)
Yeah, I think he's really good with the ground combos.

Very stlyish.

however there simply isn't as much as you can do in the air. The problem is we're still releasing content for a 5+ year old game and to the community that uploads videos the ground based stuff typically becomes much more stagnant, we've seen Yamato-guard cancels, we've seen double weapon switch combos, we've seen reverse attacks in fact we've seen pretty much everything possible from ground based combat (technically we did within a month of the games release). Unfortunately the only way to get any variety now-a-days is to do the more "adventurous" aerial based combos as there's so many more options possible and a lot of other things on the ground would be considered too standard/easy for a showcase such as a combo video.

True. Maybe I'm just being selfish, but I just wish there was more. However, this is like a five year old game, so obviously everything's been seen before.

Maybe that's why: watching it and actually doing it are two different things after all.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
True. Maybe I'm just being selfish, but I just wish there was more. However, this is like a five year old game, so obviously everything's been seen before.

I don't think it's selfish, ground combat is certainly "lacking" in comparison to all the options you have in the air and DMC is a series known for being able to play however you want, if you want to be a Gunslinger you can, if you want to be evasive, go for it. It only makes sense that we'd want to see gameplay styles we like/play ourselves when we watch combo videos, in DMC3 this isn't a problem because things stay relatively simple so you can just find that decent Royal Guard video if that's what you're into and see all the cool things that go with it however with DMC4 there is only one main playstyle you'll see, which unless you play "high end" yourself (hope no one takes that the wrong way) may all end up looking the same and blurring together if you're not used to performing the techniques, especially when they all look fairly similar (fast paced, in the air, just hearing Dante say "swor, tric, swor, gun, tric, soreMASTA!)

That's why I'm such a fan of things like Inertia, it's a little bit impractical with some of the more adventurous stuff, but small uses of it can really change things up and add some flair.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I don't think it's selfish, ground combat is certainly "lacking" in comparison to all the options you have in the air and DMC is a series known for being able to play however you want, if you want to be a Gunslinger you can, if you want to be evasive, go for it. It only makes sense that we'd want to see gameplay styles we like/play ourselves when we watch combo videos, in DMC3 this isn't a problem because things stay relatively simple so you can just find that decent Royal Guard video if that's what you're into and see all the cool things that go with it however with DMC4 there is only one main playstyle you'll see, which unless you play "high end" yourself (hope no one takes that the wrong way) may all end up looking the same and blurring together if you're not used to performing the techniques, especially when they all look fairly similar (fast paced, in the air, just hearing Dante say "swor, tric, swor, gun, tric, soreMASTA!)

That's why I'm such a fan of things like Inertia, it's a little bit impractical with some of the more adventurous stuff, but small uses of it can really change things up and add some flair.

Exactly, i have a lot of fun trying to RG everything in DMC3 and 4. I think if the community of DMC somehow revitalize itself from the ashes, we could take some inspiration on some old pearls from the TSTs like Brea's Trickster entry in TST4, or that videos of people RGing bosses in a fantastic way. There's more room to explore in the game, but in general, the community that is still active to these days like more to combo the enemies and explore the combo system by itself instead the of the whole combat idea. I'm having a lot of fun with NGS right now when i have time to play it, and combat-wise i think that it's on the same level as the DMC series, combo-wise not so much but still interesting and fun.

Maybe that's why: watching it and actually doing it are two different things after all.

Yeah, you start to appreciate more the whole thing when you practice it and do not watch it as a completely "stranger" to that techniques in the realm of practice itself. But you have to like what are you're doing to move on with the practice in the first place, so if you're really tired about the whole DMC package i would really encourage you to try Ninja Gaiden, it's a very different hack'n'slash compared to DMC but is very good in what it makes, NG is very "defensive-heavy" when it comes to the whole combat, but it's defensive and still not boring as you have incredible mobility with Ryu and movements that really gives a fuel to the whole combat (Flying Swallow FTW); and i liked the whole package as well: a lot of blood and decapitations, a badass protagonist and some bouncing boobs. The cool thing with H'n'S is that if you got tired about playing it, you can stop for a month and them return to the game with all that passion you had when you started it, that's the whole reason why i'm a fan of DMC and are becoming one to NG series too.

Top Bottom