• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If Devil May Cry were to continue...

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, that's not gonna happen but for the sake of the argument I'll play along.

Platform:pS4
Publisher:Capcom, and, you know, if they decide to go exclusive PS4 then Sony should lend a hand.
Reasons:Because I don't have a Wii U or a 1. If you're seriously asking the question then it's obvious that for most people it's going to be the platform they own. Whatever other reason they might have it will come down to that for those who can't afford more than one council, like myself.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Platform: Wii U (Although I personally believe that Console Exclusivity for Capcom games is a needless hindrance)
Publisher: Platinum Games, in collaboration with Nintendo
Reasons: One of the main reasons Bayonetta 2 did as well as it did was because of Nintendo aiding Platinum in giving the sequel the necessary polish. Applying that kind of treatment, production value, testing and development care to Devil May Cry could repair the many chips and flaws the series has still retained after all these years (its camera and controls, in particular), and polish its strengths to a glossy sheen.

But apart from that, the series would finally be in the hands of the person it so badly needs to be in: Hideki Kamiya's.

Now, I'm not going to be "that guy on every forum" who preaches the "irrefutable magnificence of Kamiya's flawless, cancer-curing game design and perfection", because claiming that everything he's done as a work of flawlessness is a laughable boast at best. However, when it comes to Devil May Cry, I really think that he was the only developer to truly understand what it needed to be. He understood the tone, the necessity of Gothic and mythological references, the proper balance of Western and Eastern influences, and yes...the definitive personality for Dante. Gameplay aside, practically every DMC since the first game has failed to deliver on ANY of those factors, and it hasn't done the series any favors in the story or aesthetic department. And now that Kamiya is no longer the stranger to action games that he was back in 2001, and has had plenty of experience with both Bayonettas, I can't think of anyone else more suited for the task.

Plus, Nintendo has Intelligent Systems as a firm contact, and they could be hired to give Devil May Cry the proper plot. If the games were really missing something crucial, it would be a competent plot...and as much as I hate to say it, I don't really trust Kamiya to fully deliver in that category.

HandsomePeanut

Satan Claus
I've got to agree with berto.

Platform: PS4
Publisher: Capcom, but with help from Sony since it'd be a high-profile exclusive.
Reasons: I've always preferred Sony consoles. They're good, sturdy things with good libraries. I am most likely to buy a PS4 (probably this year as a birthday or Christmas gift). I really don't want to by a X1 because I still have a very bad taste in my mouth from the practices they were going to put in place. While I wouldn't mind the U, I still prefer PS4 because Sony would likely back it to get a rival to Bayonetta, and Nintendo wouldn't because they already have Bayonetta.

As for the publisher, I really think Itsuno's team should continue with developing it (I'm speaking for original, apply this to Ninja Theory if you're thinking about the reboot). I love DMC4's combat, and I fear any other team might not get it. I fear any other team might put dreadful QTEs, or they might give bland enemies (admittedly, I believe NT did that with the reboot - they all look the same, there is no variety). Plot wise though, bring on a professional writer plz.

But apart from that, the series would finally be in the hands of the person it so badly needs to be in: Hideki Kamiya's.

I don't think this series needs Hideki Kamiya. It's quite fine with Itsuno. Kamiya has expressed zero interest in the series, and if I recall correctly, gets grumpy when people ask him about it.

If Kamiya were to get the game, I think he would completely ignore anything after 1 and I really like the stories and ideas set up in 3 and 4.

Edit: I don't think gothic settings need to be in DMC. A variety is what it needs, gothic, light, Eastern, and Western. As for Dante's personality, that is a matter of opinion and I personally prefer uncle Dante over silent Dante. It contrasts him perfectly with Vergil.

Anyway, looking at Bayonetta, why do you think he'd continue with that gothic style? Bayonetta isn't gothic, and DMC has strayed from that.

WolfOD64

I don't think this series needs Hideki Kamiya. It's quite fine with Itsuno. Kamiya has expressed zero interest in the series, and if I recall correctly, gets grumpy when people ask him about it.

If Itsuno were to get the game, I think he would completely ignore anything after 1 and I really like the stories and ideas set up in 3 and 4.
Hey, this is all a dream scenario of mine. I know for a fact that this probably will never happen...when Kamiya says no, he means no. Just look at his reaction to people pestering him about the meager interest he showed in making the next Star Fox.

And, hey, if Itsuno comes back to work on DMC5, I'll be all up for it. Even if he's not the first producer I would choose, he's definitely my second. DMC4, DmC, and Dragon's Dogma all had excellent combat...and I'd be more than happy if he applied the same techniques to our long-awaited fifth entry. And despite my vocal aggravation of the direction Capcom took the story in 3, I still enjoyed the story---or rather, the half of the story we ended up getting---in DMC4. Even now, I still want to see where the Older Dante and Nero go after the end, and what new threats the two of them face. I just don't feel an attachment to anyone else in that series---Lady, Trish, Lucia, even Vergil never really stood out enough to care about them (as heretical as it might seem).

Besides, at least we agree on one thing: DMC is in dire need of a professional writer. That much is obvious.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Classic DMC is in dire need of an enema.

Unnecessary comment that brings nothing to the discussion except a potential arguing. And to think that in that other thread, you played the White Paladin of Not Flaming in the Threads. Bah.

My thoughts:

- Platform: PC
- Publisher: Capcom
-Reasons: DMC is a series whose strong points are visual style and stylishness of combat. I think PC is the platform on which it can achieve excellence in both.
We all know the capabilities of PC in terms of game aesthetic, so I think no need to talk about that.
As for combat, the stylish community of DMC has been revolving around PC since DMC4, when it got Debug Mode. It lets you play with the game's internal settings allowing you to train effectively, making the enemies immortal etc. Whether you are a PC gamer or a console gamer (which is totally fine, don't misunderstand this, I'm not saying console gaming is garbage or stuff like that), to be high level player, you need to pass through the PC version of DMC4.
For DmC it was more or less the same thing, on PC you had mods for Turbo Mode, Vergil Bloody Palace etc etc etc you already know. Those things were something the game needed and people appreciated them, so now console gamers are gonna have those as well with the DE, as well as other very welcome features.

The only downside I can think of is the fact that maybe hack and slash players are not that numerous within the PC market, meaning less sales. I may be wrong though, I need to do some research.

Oh, of course, as WolfOD said, this is all an ideal situation, I got no problem with game being released multi platform.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Publisher: Capcom
Reason: It would feel a bit odd to have anyone but capcom involved with a DMC game. DmC DID have Capcom present and to have that missing would feel...unusual. All Capcom needes to do is hire a compitent story writer, a better wardrobe designer, and look into darker archutecture of both East and West. Take elements from DmC (Some mechanics, enviornment, etc) add better people to do wardrobe and story, put a little spin on gameplay, make old Dante likable again and BOOM you got a damn good Devil May Cry game in the bag.

Of course if we're also talking about the reboot;

Publisher: Ninja Theory with Platinum games
Reason: Despite the difference in styles they have, in actuality DmC and Bayonetta have a lot in common. Both have moving worlds, platforming, and detail along with some other things. So adding NT's detail with enviornment, story, gameplay, and world building fused with P*'s engine, eccentric gameplay, over-the-top gameplay action, and such, I think a DmC sequel would look pretty intresting.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Oh I forgot to mention earlier that actually, even DMC3 got an awesome mod, which is the Style Switcher mod, which greatly improved combat, a la DMC4 (possibly even better), and also graphics.

So yeah, if you think about it, PC is the definitive platform for a DMC game. But only thanks to the modding community. I can only imagine what would happen if Capcom itself decided to make DMC a PC exclusive, exploiting all the potential the platform offers. But this is actually the dream of every PC gamer, for every game, so I think I'm derailing a bit.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
As much as I'd like it to be on Wii U and have as much effort put into it as Platinum did to Bayo 2, that just isn't going to happen because, let's face it, it's Capcom. They'll cut whatever corners they can with a DMC5 rather then put effort into it just like they're doing with RE Revelations 2(Again, anyone who buys Revelations 2 is part of the problem and you should feel bad if you do!!! SPEAK WITH YOUR F**KING WALLETS PEOPLE!!!!).

But I'll bite anyway.

Platform: Wii U
Publisher: Nintendo
Reasons:
Cause Nintendo wants to make Video Games, not causal show and tells.

Also get rid of Capcom, they WILL screw something up.

WolfOD64

All Capcom needes to do is hire a compitent story writer, a better wardrobe designer, and look into darker archutecture of both East and West.
In other words, bring back everything that made DMC1 great, and was sorely lacking in DMC3 (excluding the "competent story" bit. DMC has never had that, inside or outside the games). DMC4 did bring back the attention to architecture---especially since Kobayashi and Co. went to Italy and Turkey to study architectural influences, just like Kamiya did for DMC1. Of course, you could argue that DMC1's backdrops were more memorable than 4's...but that honestly speaks more to the fact that DMC4 had, like, five locations rehashed over and over again (Fortuna City, Fortuna Castle, Echidna's Forest, Order of the Sword HQ...rinse and repeat).

As for wardrobe, well...you're grasping at the wind if you think that the designers are going to abandon the Cosplay Get-Ups that the characters have sported for the past three games. Still, not all of them were terrible...Dante and Trish's DMC1 attire have aged fairly well, and Nero's mercenary trenchcoat hoodie is pretty neat (in fact, all of the Order of the Sword Uniforms looked great).

The only game where the outfits were truly outlandish and ramen-stupor-inducing were....once again...DMC3. From Dante's Edge-Lord, Open-Shirt look with biker gloves and round, K-Pop hair, to Lady's wildly-impractical school-girl skirt with knee-high boots...in fact, the only person that looked decent was Vergil, and he was draped in what looked to be Final Fantasy-villain regalia.

Of course if we're also talking about the reboot;

Publisher: Ninja Theory with Platinum games
Reason: Despite the difference in styles they have, in actuality DmC and Bayonetta have a lot in common. Both have moving worlds, platforming, and detail along with some other things. So adding NT's detail with enviornment, story, gameplay, and world building fused with P*'s engine, eccentric gameplay, over-the-top gameplay action, and such, I think a DmC sequel would look pretty intresting.
The sheer prospect of a Ninja Theory and Platinum collaboration makes me yearn for a different game entirely. Forget about the Devil May Cry license---I want to see where Platinum's free creative reign and NT's imaginative embrace for surrealism would take them on an independent project. It could end up outdoing DMC all together.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Just as I figured, most of you here are just fans of DMC 3 and or 4. That's how you define the series as a whole. To me, that's wrong being a fan since the inception. Putting aside gameplay, Kamiya taking on his creation yet again, is the thing I'd dig.

Still, that doesn't mean I think Kamiya is flawless. I poo poo'd enough on his work with criticism. I just still think he gets the gist of Devil May Cry. And he's got enough practice with gameplay now. Some would argue Bayonetta's gameplay Devil May Cry'd harder than Devil May Cry ever did. Just get some more talented writers and such on board with him and tada!
uXphjNt.jpg

Itsuno and his team doesn't get it. He helped reinvigorate the gameplay, but that was about it. Look at his legacy on the DMC franchise. He tries to reinvent Dante and the series with DMC 2, and look how that turned out.

Afterwards, he looks to fix the biggest criticism with DMC 2 (Dante's character) and bring it back to how we knew him. And just makes a rather obnoxious version of his former self that never shuts the f#ck up. He then totally forgets there was a little something called plot in the first game, where he started making plot holes and continuity issues.

To top it all off, he starts adding this poorly written and performed melodrama that seems to lose itself in tone and the self aware nature one could argue existed in the first game in that regard. And he brought back Vergil who became one of the lamest and generic Devil May Cry characters to date.

He then continues with DMC 4 making even more plot holes, and adding more badly done melodrama. That gets pretty damn bad. A sappy and bland teen romance with cardboard cutout characters in some arbitrary attempt to appeal to female gamers, and more of Dante just being an obnoxious shadow of his former self in DMC Uno. And this is not even mentioning how lazy and poorly designed game in general DMC 4 was.

He's done enough. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Itsuno. Go play with something else.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Hey, this is all a dream scenario of mine. I know for a fact that this probably will never happen...when Kamiya says no, he means no. Just look at his reaction to people pestering him about the meager interest he showed in making the next Star Fox.

I gotta still wonder how a P* developed StarFox would have turned out. You're a big StarFox fan as well, how do you think that would have worked out?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I don't think this series needs Hideki Kamiya.

I agree with you there, I want the series to go back to the awesomeness and epicness of DMC3 (even though I found DMC4 pretty damn well directed as well, I can't deny that I felt it as a step down compared to 3), and the only one I can think of who can do that is Itsuno himself. But this time, with someone more competent at his side to write the plot.

As for gameplay, I'm actually a bit worried. Just a bit. With DMC4, they got extremely lucky, cause the game's got pretty noticeable glitches. Luckily for them, they turned out to be the "good" kind of glitches, that actually improve the gameplay instead of ruining it, but I fear they'd rely on this happening again, skipping the test phase again. That would be stupid and extemely risky, with high odds of it turning on them this time around.

The Final Offer

giphy.gif

Platform: Playstation 4
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment (Co-published by Capcom)
Reasons: Originally, Devil May Cry was a Sony exclusive. Having birthed the series on the most powerful platform at the time, this would be Capcom's greatest choice to bring DMC and DmC into a light that illustrates the return of Sony exclusives. With more focus centered around 60fps and 1080p with highly detailed lavish settings, the series would sit well on the console. This would also justify the return of DMC, much like going back to it's "roots".

On other platforms there are competitors ranging from Scalebound to Bayonetta. Platinum Games has made it clear that they are moving forward with their button masher gameplay. Being the way it is, DmC and DMC would be the games the most skilled players would look to. No one would complain about the series being exclusive to Sony.

The Playstation 4 is catering to games that require skill. It's share features are amazing providing that offline to online competitive space. With Sony's feet deep inside of Capcom's fighting game community, the game would have a higher chance at succeeding in transforming the series into a competitive game.

The downside of DMC and DmC going to any other platform would be sales and graphical downgrades including framerate. There's no support for Bayonetta and there's no support for Xbox One in certain regions. That would be against getting the word out. It'd definitely hurt the series and minimize it's lifespan like Bayonetta 2 on Wii U. Corner cutting is how Xbox One has gotten it's way to 60fps and 1080p. That'd mean diced animations, details, and quality would take a beating and even if the developer's ideas are small for the environment, there's no telling if the Xbox One could handle the finished product. Sure, DmC remastered is 1080p 60fps but, that game was cutting corners to feel like 60fps from the beginning and it's graphical quality isn't high like gamers expect a next gen game to be.

The Wii U....if you have one, like I do, then you already know why DmC nor DMC should be exclusive to this console. I'm not even going to go into detail....just know it's worse than what's been listed for the Xbox One.

I'm seeing alot about Kamiya and well, he can stay where he is. Keep the button mashing lovers away from the skilled players. PLEASE. We're looking for combo videos that suit people's preference, not mash buttons to "style". Also Kamiya's style is campy and his portfolio is not as rich as the lot of people here make it out to be. Itsuno's is much more diverse and could take Devil May Cry, as a whole, in new directions with exhilarating gameplay for both DmC and DMC. Something already proven.

giphy.gif

Let's compare?

Kamiya:
DMC
Resident Evil 2
Viewtiful Joe
Bayonetta = DMC
Wonderful 101 = Pikmin
Okami = Zelda

Itsuno:
DMC 3
DMC 4
Dragon's Dogma
Power Stone 1 + 2
Capcom vs SNK 2
Rival Schools + Project Justice
One Piece Mansion

Notice anything special? One's more competitive whilst the other is more about adding a spin to an original formula. Also, be wary of how DMC 3 and DMC 4 are ITSUNO'S directed games.

Last edited:

Meg

Classic DMC is in dire need of an enema.
Could you at least try to not be such a troll? :facepalm:

And just a piece of advice to everyone: when you report a post, don't be all "I want to punch this person in the face." It makes you look bad to the staff. Reports aren't anonymous; we know who's saying what.

OT:

Well, if I HAD to choose:

Platform: PC/Mac
Reasons: Because computers have superior power to consoles and always will. If a game can only come out on one system, it might as well be for the one with the most power.

The Final Offer

Could you at least try to not be such a troll? :facepalm:

OT:

Well, if I HAD to choose:

Platform: PC/Mac
Reasons: Because computers have superior power to consoles and always will. If a game can only come out on one system, it might as well be for the one with the most power.

Just make sure you add the amount it costs to upgrade the computer.

Something PC gamers keep forgetting to add.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Just make sure you add the amount it costs to upgrade the computer.

Something PC gamers keep forgetting to add.

Well, the ruthless war between AMD and Nvidia is now ceased. Or at least calmed down, a lot. Now, you can upgrade your PC much later in time than you needed some years ago (Jee, I remember the beginning of the X360/PS3 era... your PC was already old after a month), 2-3 years average life of a modern graphics card, even a bit more if you turn down settings from maximum to medium/high.

The old concemption that PC gaming is expensive as hell is only a stereotype now, really.

Top Bottom