• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I swear to god...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theproductofboredom

In a part by part breakdown of the teaser trailer, a commentator mentioned something I missed. They mention multiple times that Dante might be insane. and the context suggests all of this.

edit* sorry posted this before I finished it and I didn't realize I posted it. I didn't get to the point I wanted to make.

Some discussions and the trailer suggest Dante may not be mentally sane. Also it shows Dante while under interrogation being scrawny and weak. This suggests a concept that possibly Dante is imagining all this in his mind..... Sometimes its done well like when its obvious or part of the story (american mcgee's alice, folklore), but if Devil may cry does it, or even worse if they make the entire serious a fabrication of this kids imagination, Imma snap.

Who knows, I may have taken one tiny flash of a brain scan and a couple unsettling trailer breakdowns too seriously, but can someone please reassure me of this not being the case.

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
technically he did have mental problems in one of the light novels so that isnt a stretch.
>Technically
>Light novel

In my opinion, it is. People first knew Dante through the DMC games, not the novels, and not everyone has read them. Most DMC fans know Dante for being a laid back type of person. The E3 2010 trailer for DmC implies that the new Dante isn't mentally stable, so yeah, there's a complete difference there.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Isnt dmc's Dante a thrill seeking junkie? he never takes anything seriously and when it comes down to it, when he's slaying a demon he seems pretty enthusiastic about. To me, that happy go lucky Dante was all a facade to hide his real emotions of his family that he lost. Dante has real problems and the only way to come to terms with it was to open a shop that was dedicated to killing demons.(talk about overboard) The only time i've actually seen him vulnerable is in dmc1 and dmc3 for only a little bit and that's when his story actually meant something. As for DmC's Dante, he was a complete wack job from the first trailer. But u gotta admit when the first part of the tgs demo was shown, he actually seemed more human than anything. He showed concern, he was defensive, he was sarcastic, irritated and had a sense of humor. There's something going on in the story that hasnt been revealed to us to actually make sense of all this half demon/angel conspiracy.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
seeing that Dante's a wack job maybe just maybe he might have a split personality he must be the original Dante we know but when he maybe loses it he dye's his hair black and becomes DmC Dante and maybe in the end he'll become back to his normal self this is just a theory. another theory that they might show Vergil but in the end we find out there's no Vergil no Dante's twin Dante himself was Vergil he had a split personality and then......

i woke up.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
oh really, does it specify what exactly his mental problems were?
according to tvtropes as I didn't read it, he has dissociative Identity disorder to where he would associate his demon half as a separate person named Dante to where his human self would be known as tony red graves. It was caused by the trauma of watching his mom die by demons to where his mind basically buried his demon half and all the memories he had of that era. He knew his mom died but couldn't tell you how she died. Plus his powers weren't active during that period since the only thing he could do was heal faster than a normal.

It's canon in training since it could still fit in the canon, you would just have to change his age since he was 26. This was pre dmc3 and in some ways should be canon since it was Dante's origin as envisioned by his creator.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@wallenb and chibi cloud
Dante is a very poorly developed character to where if I ask you to tell me anything about his past other than his mom got killed by demons and he and Vergil had a falling out, you couldn't. You couldn't tell me how he got his training or who he lived with or even what lead him and Vergil to fall out. So him having PTSD isnt that far of a stretch to me.

I think I have to differ with you two on him being a nut job Since neither trailer really had a scene that showed me he could be insane the same way neither showed me how he was emo. Only thing I gleaned from them was he was more driven and less of a grandstander which I can deal since being a show off is something you develop. Plus I always saw him as a self centered sadistic jerk who didn't care about anyone other than himself because who he was in the beginning of 3 . He was the same way in four but that's because kobayashi screwed him over to make Nero look bettter.

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
@wallenb and chibi cloud
Dante is a very poorly developed character to where if I ask you to tell me anything about his past other than his mom got killed by demons and he and Vergil had a falling out, you couldn't. You couldn't tell me how he got his training or who he lived with or even what lead him and Vergil to fall out. So him having PTSD isnt that far of a stretch to me.
Diss the old Dante in favor of the new one. Nice.

Seriously, we couldn't tell you anymore about his history other than the demon invasion happening in his childhood because that was all the information that was given to us. You imply that ANY character that doesn't have a deep past for us to know about, is a poorly developed character? LOL. It just seems like you're trying to find reasons to stick up for the reboot by dissing the old Dante, and also using poor implications. Dante was a great character. He was a wise cracking, laid back BAMF that most of this entire site is a fan of. You sounded like Taneem for a second when you called him a poorly developed character. -_- DMC isn't DMC without Dante, just like MGS isn't MGS without Snake, Ninja Gaiden isn't Ninja Gaiden without Ryu Hayabusa, and Super Mario Bros. isn't SMB without Mario. Call Dante a poorly developed character all you want, but if weren't for him, DMC wouldn't be what it was.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
@wallenb and chibi cloud

I think I have to differ with you two on him being a nut job Since neither trailer really had a scene that showed me he could be insane the same way neither showed me how he was emo. Only thing I gleaned from them was he was more driven and less of a grandstander which I can deal since being a show off is something you develop. Plus I always saw him as a self centered sadistic jerk who didn't care about anyone other than himself because who he was in the beginning of 3 . He was the same way in four but that's because kobayashi screwed him over to make Nero look bettter.

dunno if it means he's a nut job but in the first trailer he has pretty aggressive memory/psycho/hypnosis flashed and they seem to put him in a more aggressive state, hence the more aggressive attacks from after that moment. Also, He is able to see the demon world and i dont know alot of people in the real world who can do that. And if thats been happening for a long time and someone found out about how this young man can interact with demons... i think people would consider him crazy.
but who knows

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
according to tvtropes as I didn't read it, he has dissociative Identity disorder to where he would associate his demon half as a separate person named Dante to where his human self would be known as tony red graves. It was caused by the trauma of watching his mom die by demons to where his mind basically buried his demon half and all the memories he had of that era. He knew his mom died but couldn't tell you how she died. Plus his powers weren't active during that period since the only thing he could do was heal faster than a normal.

It's canon in training since it could still fit in the canon, you would just have to change his age since he was 26. This was pre dmc3 and in some ways should be canon since it was Dante's origin as envisioned by his creator.
ah man, well thank you for answering my question, i never knew that, and from what you just explained it sounds like this would fit into the DmC storyline in some way

Theproductofboredom

@wallenb and chibi cloud
I think I have to differ with you two on him being a nut job Since neither trailer really had a scene that showed me he could be insane the same way neither showed me how he was emo.

There was a scene in the trailer where he clutched his head a flash of a brain scan came on screen. During that it also flashed back to the interrogation room for a split second.
It implies that what "Dante" is seeing or doing may not really be happening.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
There was a scene in the trailer where he clutched his head a flash of a brain scan came on screen. During that it also flashed back to the interrogation room for a split second.
It implies that what "Dante" is seeing or doing may not really be happening.
thats what i'm sayin! He's a Nut case

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
LOL if you think having headaches that show you thoughts of yourself being chained up in an interrogations room is "teenage drama" then u must be from the streets my friend

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I lived in a house my whole life...
apartments too:D
Soooooooooooo...........no therapy for me!

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
you know what's worse than playing DMD mode in a house?...........playing DMD in the rain D:
but anyway this conversation has gone on too far lol someone get back on topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom