• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I really gave DMC3 a chance...

I Make The Devils Cry

What about Dante's dialogue in 2 was bad? I actually felt like 2's voice actor was one of his better ones, since they told him to play a silent badass and he certainly delivered. I mean, my favorite Dante line ever comes from 2. "King? Yeah." *ch-CHK* "Here's your crown."
I admit it's good and entertaining, but it felt so, out of place for some of it because he's essentially the silent badass in that game (as stated by you), and yes it plays out so well like that, but that's what I appreciated him as in DMC 2, him being quiet. I would have much preferred him to talk more or not at all during parts of the game.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I admit it's good and entertaining, but it felt so, out of place for some of it because he's essentially the silent badass in that game (as stated by you), and yes it plays out so well like that, but that's what I appreciated him as in DMC 2, him being quiet. I would have much preferred him to talk more or not at all during parts of the game.

Well, to be fair, it seemed less like he was unwilling to talk and more that he felt that he'd said it all before, so there was no need to speak any more than necessary.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Dante's dialogue whenever he goes self righteous/pinnacle of morality usually results in some of the worst lines I've ever known.
E.g.
"I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" - Devil May Cry
"And my soul, is telling me that it wants to stop you!" - Devil May Cry 3
I totally agree with you there. Although I like Dante when he is joking around and taunting his enemies, he totally fails with his serious lines such as the ones you quoted. The "My soul is saying it wants to stop you" line always gives me the creeps. :ermm:

I Make The Devils Cry

I totally agree with you there. Although I like Dante when he is joking around and taunting his enemies, he totally fails with his serious lines such as the ones you quoted. The "My soul is saying it wants to stop you" line always gives me the creeps. :ermm:
Even as a child that line still had me complaining. I mean, yes, there have been cases when he can pull of serious, but those moments are quite rare, and generally in DMC 3 and 4.

I don't know what to say about this.

He looked pretty serious to me in the last fight with his brother.
Even though he might have that funny and sarcastic façade,he knows when to be serious and when not to.

I think he puts that behaviour in order to preoccupy himself or to forget about the feeling of loneliness he has,because Dante is a lonely guy after all. (How do I know? Because I'm lonely too and I try to put on a smile to forget about it too)

But when it comes to family matters,he acts serious,especially when it comes to his brother wanting to stay in the demon world.I didn't see him smile or joke in the last fight,I think that was when he changed into a more serious person.

He is seen saying 'soul' many times in the games,that's why I think he puts his emotional and rational side in the first place compared to his brother.Again with the theory Dante represents Sparda's soul and Vergil,Sparda's power.

The fact that he is joking around powerful demons is because he is confident and they don't have anything to do with the persons he cares for,like his family or friends.

DMC 4 Dante isn't exactly my favourite,I mean,yes,he had some good jokes and Shakesperean acting,but he felt quite an...empty character.

LysseC

I don't know what to say about this.

He looked pretty serious to me in the last fight with his brother.
Even though he might have that funny and sarcastic façade,he knows when to be serious and when not to.

I think he puts that behaviour in order to preoccupy himself or to forget about the feeling of loneliness he has,because Dante is a lonely guy after all. (How do I know? Because I'm lonely too and I try to put on a smile to forget about it too)

But when it comes to family matters,he acts serious,especially when it comes to his brother wanting to stay in the demon world.I didn't see him smile or joke in the last fight,I think that was when he changed into a more serious person.

He is seen saying 'soul' many times in the games,that's why I think he puts his emotional and rational side in the first place compared to his brother.Again with the theory Dante represents Sparda's soul and Vergil,Sparda's power.

The fact that he is joking around powerful demons is because he is confident and they don't have anything to do with the persons he cares for,like his family or friends.

DMC 4 Dante isn't exactly my favourite,I mean,yes,he had some good jokes and Shakesperean acting,but he felt quite an...empty character.
DMC4 Dante is not my favorite either, and exactly because he lacks a more serious tone about him.
The problem with that line is, imo, that it is strange. Talking about souls who say things is not the usual way to go when we want to deliver the message he is trying to deliver (the fact that he strongly feels that he has to stop his brother). :/ I don't really know how to explain it...it just seemed too, mhh, overexaggerated? Wanting to be dramatic but coming out as strange to my ears.

On the other hand, apart from this line, I really like DMC3 Dante, he is my favorite version of Dante in all the series. And I especially appreciate other lines that are on the border between serious and joking, like the one when he says to Arkham that he should stop poking his nose in other families' business. Those lines are perfect imo, because they sum up all that I love in this character: the fact that he faces serious events in life with a more lighthearted tone, that, as you perfectly say, is just his way of dealing with his personal issues.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
OP was talking about the game itself (the thing that you actually play, you know?), i don't even know how the discussion went down to Dante's lines and the plot even with dozens of threads exclusive for this purpose people insists in derail threads that doesn't have this subject, casuals doing their only possible meaningful job related to gaming: talk about stories. Some members in this forum probably thinks that the DMC franchise is an RPG.

RVbBM7r.jpg

LysseC

Sorry for going off topic, Vine, but was it really necessary to criticize people who talk about the story instead of gameplay? If it's the off topic that bothers you, I'd rather you kindly reminded us of this detail without necessarily throwing sh*t our way because we are "filthy casuals"... There is no law out there that says DMC should be played only by pro players, you know, nor that this is a "pro player only" forum. :/

However, just to make it clear, I was not saying that DMC3 is terrible because of a single line. I love the game and all (thought I should say it before someone thinks I'm here to just throw sh!t at the game).
The off topic derailed my attention and for that I am sorry. I'll try and put more attention to the original topic of a thread.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Sorry for going off topic, Vine, but was it really necessary to criticize people who talk about the story instead of gameplay? If it's the off topic that bothers you, I'd rather you kindly reminded us of this detail without necessarily throwing sh*t our way because we are "filthy casuals"... There is no law out there that says DMC should be played only by pro players, you know, nor that this is a "pro player only" forum. :/

However, just to make it clear, I was not saying that DMC3 is terrible because of a single line. I love the game and all (thought I should say it before someone thinks I'm here to just throw sh!t at the game).
The off topic derailed my attention and for that I am sorry. I'll try and put more attention to the original topic of a thread.

Yes, it happens all the time when people try to discuss gameplay in these forums, LysseC. To be honest, i just don't care about being too much polite with most of people on these forums anymore seeing that any attempt to take some discussions in a more serious manner ends up by people throwing out highly subjective opinions (about objective things like mechanics and gameplay itself) or just taunting people with comments lacking the same level of education i try to have here, you are one that doesn't count on that list but in this case you were engaging in conversation with some of them, so i sincere apologize to you; but only you. Most times i tried to discuss gameplay with someone, even if it was not related to DmC some DmC fans always manage to come and start talking something about how they like DmC story and how DMC lacked story and therefore it's a bad game because bad story (>implying that DmC's story is somehow good). You don't need to be a pro to be interested in gameplay, i mean, just by being a player we can assume that you like to play and gameplay is someting vital to you in a game, there's no advice on this forum saying that it is exclusive meant to discuss story, dialogue and plot too; nor that people have the right to derail a thread about another subject when they can easily create another one (or even post in an old thread) to talk about what they're interested to talk.

I think the main forums lack a stronger moderation, to be honest. It would be good for them to make an area/subforum where people can just fight, taunt and call bad names; them leave the main forum to real, polite and productive discussions. Then the mods would have a good justification to apply more punishment for those who try to derail threads, offend people (even in some moderated fashion like i did in this topic) or just bash for the sake of bashing (without further explanation).

I Make The Devils Cry

OP was talking about the game itself (the thing that you actually play, you know?), i don't even know how the discussion went down to Dante's lines and the plot even with dozens of threads exclusive for this purpose people insists in derail threads that doesn't have this subject, casuals doing their only possible meaningful job related to gaming: talk about stories. Some members in this forum probably thinks that the DMC franchise is an RPG.
I feel as though I'm not going to get an apology for at any stage, especially considering I was more than likely one of the main, or main instigator in taking the post somewhat off topic, but I'm going to firmly stand by my actions, because criticising the dialogue (or story) is a validated thing, and a worthy side-track from a combat based post if we are criticising the game in general. But I digress; I do recognise the fact that this thread was originally, and solely about the gameplay...

It could be better, it could be worse. All of the DMC (entire series) gameplay could do with a few tweaks and additions which would certainly make it a much better H/S game overall, because there certainly is better ones when it comes to this aspect, but as said, it could be much worse. The enemies too, not that original either, as they all generally revolve around the idea of either Death (the physical manifestation) to the extent that a large number of the enemies all carry scythes everywhere or religious themes, such as Heaven and Hell, as exampled by the opponents closer to the end of the game, and overall, if you beat them once, you essentially get the idea of how to do it a thousand times over, which you are certainly going to have done. The enemies which fit into this category are the ones which present a challenge of sorts, but even then, they do become a bit routine to figure out, and if all else fails; DT, slaughter all, and use Holy Water, or a healing item, if desperate.

Top Bottom