• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I hope DMC4:SE does more than just new characters...

scionicspectre

Yes, and, although I may have implied it, I don't in anyway think that adding all those new characters was easy.
I'm actually very impressed they were able to in a non copy-paste way.

It's just that doing only new characters makes it seem like they're missing the point.

I agree. It would have been nice to have a little patch up everywhere if they had the resources. I guess that, to some extent, I'm choosing to be happy about what I can and discarding the rest since that's just the kind of personality I have. I'm usually not the kind of guy to hold grudges, or even to get in long, drawn out arguments. I'm usually more concerned with peoples' well-being than being, well, right.

I hope Itsuno gets a chance to impress all of us again in the future. ;)

Dante94513

Making three extra characters from the ground up is VERY hard work along with 4 extra cutscene, (though I don't think 2 of them will make any significance to the story). I really was surprised when they announced that Lady and Trish were playable, including the trailer. So I really appreciate what Capcom has done.

But I'm afraid that, even after seeing live-streams, gameplay footage, and seeing updates, I'm still deeply disappointed so far. I hate to make a comparison to a game that not everyone has played, and most of the fans hate. But DmC: DE (despite it's glitches) has right now the type of content IMO that would make the game last for a long time, it fixed most of it's gameplay mechanics, and at the same time add modes, tweeks, plus having free DLC from the vanilla that would change the game's feel of the combat and difficulty through-out. You have Hardcore that's making rank in combat and missions much harder now (make it even harder with no upgrades on all your moves), add Must Style and it even makes Heaven&Hell fun to play (again, no upgrades), and add God Must Die (and again, no upgrades). You can experiment with the game in ways that you want. Including the fact that you can take the timer in BP off or on to challenge youself. This may not be as hard to work with compared to DMC4:SE's 3 extra characters, and 4 new cut-scenes. But it's still huge significant change from the original that would make the game last til the cows come home.

Despite all the characters they added, and more cut scenes. What else did they add in DMC4:SE so far?
-LDK
-5 Costumes (only one for each character from what I've heard so far. 2 that are pre-order bonuses (if you don't, you have to pay for them), 2 that are IMO...meh, and just one that is pretty awesome)
-Turbo
-few gameplay tweeks (that seems to make the style meter easier to get an SSS, speed activities faster, and bigger hit boxes for crowd combat)

However, the problems in DMC4 are bigger than the glitches I might encounter in DmC:DE: Repetition, and limitation. You can have a very well polish, functional game, but it can still be a turd (not talking to you DMC4, I'm looking at you DMC2)

Now, DMC4 has the biggest and the best character gameplay in the series IMO. But the problem will remain. They didn't fix the backtracking or make any significant changes to the repeated level design. Now with three extra characters, you'll be going through the game 4+ more times with the same songs from Nero and Dante's campaign. I don't know if PS4 and Xbox One can still allow custom music in game just like the PS3 did (don't know about Xbox 360), but I think DMC4: SE will need that feature. Otherwise, the gameplay will get repetitive and stale in about a year or less. Plus unless modes like Hardcore (which after looking at DMC4:SE's style meter and mission rank, the game NEEDS it), Must-Style, or when they make all the enemies in DMD devil trigger very quickly, there isn't much to experiment nor challenge yourself.

They didn't atleast get rid of the timer which was something I didn't like in the original, nor did they say anything about a training mode.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against DMC4, I still love DMC4, and when I get a PS4, this and DmC:DE will be the first games I'll get right away, But I hoped for a bit more than just adding new characters (you do have LDK mode, but it doesn't look very hard when playing as Vergil, Lady, and Trish. I've yet to see Dante and Nero though). I do hope more modes will come as DLC awhile after the game's release atleast (and we don't have to pay for it).

Last edited:

Veloran

They didn't fix the backtracking or make any significant changes to the levels despite having more development time than DmC:DE.
They pitched 4SE a year ago. Apparently Lady and Trish as playable weren't even a part of the initial concept.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
They pitched 4SE a year ago. Apparently Lady and Trish as playable weren't even a part of the initial concept.
You gotta source or are you making stuff up just to defend this P.O.S.?

We didn't even know about these games until a couple months ago. And they were also pretty quiet about the Special Edition for quite some time. I kept up with all this stuff, and I heard nothing about what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Veloran

You gotta source or are you making stuff up just to defend this P.O.S.?
Always the shining beacon of goodwill Chancey.

"When you take a look at just a year ago proposal, !! Lady and Trish as a player still did not exist" ITsuno director

http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/content/?p=17742

Demand of people of the fans and had received a lot to, it is of course, it had entered into consideration.
In addition, the latest hard for such now of PS4 and Xbox One, title that can be provided at an affordable price when looking for, this is the best, there was also a determination that. So, just one year ago, It will form GO sign comes into production of "Special Edition".

I kept up with all this stuff,
Evidently not.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Always the shining beacon of goodwill Chancey.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/content/?p=17742

Evidently not.
Well, I don't have twitter. Regardless, I can't really care because it doesn't change how much of a piece of crap DMC 4 is.

Seriously, it irks the hell outta me these so called fans just roll over and accept DMC 4 for what it is. I believe if you're a fan, then you shouldn't make excuses for BS. And DMC 4 is BS.

It's a tedious recycled mess of a game that has more problems than just the lazy artificially lengthened copy paste segments. Sure the combat's fine, (albeit it could use a few tweaks) but it stumbles in nearly every other aspect. I did not want to pay $60 back in the day for f#cking Bloody Palace. I unfortunately did. I expect a good full game out of my choice of entertainment.

I thought DMC 4 was gonna be the bees knees, but that game burned me bad. I'm saying it, it's the worst in the franchise. People say DMC 2 is, but that game is actually at least a fairly crafted game. It's just totally underwhelming compared to its predecessor.

It doesn't matter what excuses Itsuno and Capcom have when it comes to DMC 4, it's still poop. If a chef undercooked my food, it doesn't matter what excuses he has. That chef still effed up my food.

And this Special Edition missed its opportunity to fix this game. I gave it a chance to win me over, but I'm just seeing DLC content sold to you as another copy of the game you probably already own. This is pre-owned bargain bin content basically. And Capcom can't even physically release it here.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
While adding new modes does add replayability, new characters do that even more, cause the point of DMC is being as much stylish and creative and possible, and new characters do just that: add even more depth to an already top notch gameplay. I'm curious to see how the stylish scene will change after release.

Personally, I value characters > modes, cause a difficulty mode, I clear it once and that's it, I have little interest in it after I clear it a first time.
Instead I personally play Devil May Cry for being stylish and try to find every combination the game has to offer, therefore new characters were the better choice to make given the fact that stylishness and encouragement of creativity are the strong points of DMC4.

Aside from this, haters gonna hate and fanboys gonna love, and neither of these categories are to be trusted when it comes to judge a game, the way I see it.
From my part, I've already expressed my complaints and my satisfactions about the SE.

Last edited:

Veloran

Well, I don't have twitter. Regardless, I can't really care because it doesn't change how much of a piece of crap DMC 4 is.

Seriously, it irks the hell outta me these so called fans just roll over and accept DMC 4 for what it is. I believe if you're a fan, then you shouldn't make excuses for BS. And DMC 4 is BS.

It's a tedious recycled mess of a game that has more problems than just the lazy artificially lengthened copy paste segments. Sure the combat's fine, (albeit it could use a few tweaks) but it stumbles in nearly every other aspect. I did not want to pay $60 back in the day for f#cking Bloody Palace. I unfortunately did. I expect a good full game out of my choice of entertainment.

I thought DMC 4 was gonna be the bees knees, but that game burned me bad. I'm saying it, it's the worst in the franchise. People say DMC 2 is, but that game is actually at least a fairly crafted game. It's just totally underwhelming compared to its predecessor.

It doesn't matter what excuses Itsuno and Capcom have when it comes to DMC 4, it's still poop. If a chef undercooked my food, it doesn't matter what excuses he has. That chef still effed up my food.

And this Special Edition missed its opportunity to fix this game. I gave it a chance to win me over, but I'm just seeing DLC content sold to you as another copy of the game you probably already own. This is pre-owned bargain bin content basically. And Capcom can't even physically release it here.
cCHlFjo.gif

Nah.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So, that's all you can say. Just dismiss anyone else's argument.

The thing about opinions, is that they mean nothing to me unless you back it up with something that makes it valid. Our friend Foxy explained why he likes it, and fair enough. More power to him.

You however offer nothing. It's like you're just leaving farts in a room and waking out. That's like your contribution to any discussion around here.

Veloran

The thing about opinions, is that they mean nothing to me unless you back it up with something that makes it valid. Our friend Foxy explained why he likes it, and fair enough. More power to him.

You however offer nothing. It's like you're just leaving farts in a room and waking out. That's like your contribution to any discussion around here.
latest

Exejpgwmv

So, any news on anything besides new characters?

Because I'm pretty sure they promised some new difficulty modes.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD

Don't argue. Don't waste your time on it anymore then you have.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Btw, in the news and updates thread, the last post is a link to an article written by a guy who had a hands on DMC4 SE and says that they tweaked the dice game. I think he mentions there are other small tweaks, I don't remember, go read it.

Top Bottom