• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I hate overpowered Dante

Terrutas

It mainly doesn't work because he wasn't originally intended to appeal to old fans. He was intended to replace Dante with a modern more serious tone when all he replaced was everything you could like about Dante. He's pretty much that rebellious angsty teenager that hates society because they don't understand how dark, deep and edgy he is. Oooh! His weapon is Rebellion so we have to design his character appropriately because that's good writing skills! Nevermind the fact that most of what he says is plain pandering and most of his 'humorous' acts come off as negative like what he did to the fat guy (he just wanted a drink :<). It's how teenagers are today! You can relate to this guy! You just have to try harder!

berto

I Saw the Devil
You're right. My bad then. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I mean, he tries too hard. I think the biggest mistake in his character though was naming him "Dante". Whether he's a good character/bad character, that's all subjective. But he's unappealing to me and IMO he's nothing like Uncle Dante. Its like he's trying to be new while catering to fans of the old Dante and it just doesn't work. You can't put two and two together like that and expect it to work.

Oh and for the record, I'd rather have an overpowered character with charm than one that isn't endearing.
Well, yeah. But I don't know if trying to hard is how I would describe it, maybe a few times here and there, but overall it's more like what you said about trying to be too many different contrasting things, both an action character and a realistic one. It's not like he is the first character to try to be both but there are better and more successful attempts at pulling it off and so it's possible to do it. The problem here been that they just didn't get it right.
As for the topic at hand I commented at another thread about something similar:
http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/does-anyone-hate-this-dante.12322/#post-391734

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i liked it when he has to struggle with challenge. this is why i enjoyed DMC3 as when hes against Vergil hes lost the last two battles. and Vergil is still, faster, stronger and more savage than Dante. also why i like DmC agaist mundus Dante is significantly less powerful and only won thanks to Vergils intervention.i think his immortality should have been more emphasized in the game eg we fight him for 5 mins tho his health constanly regenerates.

8BitHero

Scrub
Old Lara looked good, was a tough girl who could bring down dinos and dragons, but we can't like her either because apparently a women who can hold her own against creatures 10x her size with her skills and a set of pistols is sexist while a whining crybaby who spends the majority of her game getting beaten up is a very good and well done character right?
I think you've completely missed the idea of what an origin story is. The rebootLara is supposed to be someone whining and constantly feeling under pressure because she's new to adventure. It's her first outing and at the very beginning of the game, turned out to be a huge shi-storm. She's not supposed to be experienced and able to handle herself and take on dinosaurs. As Lara grows up, she then becomes a force to be reckoned with.

Even DMC is the same. DMC 1, Dante has limited moves and has a harder time taking on bosses. Once you're at DMC4, Dante is cocky and takes bosses down with ease. Combined with 5 styles and a range of weapons he can switch to in a instant. I believe the term is character development.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I think you've completely missed the idea of what an origin story is. The rebootLara is supposed to be someone whining and constantly feeling under pressure because she's new to adventure. It's her first outing and at the very beginning of the game, turned out to be a huge shi-storm. She's not supposed to be experienced and able to handle herself and take on dinosaurs. As Lara grows up, she then becomes a force to be reckoned with.
Lara has been rebooted twice and now has 3 origin stories, 2 of them involved no crying and no whining, she just took it like the badass she's famous for and just became more badass, that's the Lara I became a fan of and the Lara I want. Now in this origin story she's a pathetic man needing baby who's gonna grow into a full grown crybaby that modern fanboys/fangirls will claim to be badass. That's not the Lara I want, hell I'd take Nathan Drake over that Lara. Not to mention the game just flat out sucked and had nothing Tomb Raider about it apart from the f**king name.
Even DMC is the same. DMC 1, Dante has limited moves and has a harder time taking on bosses. Once you're at DMC4, Dante is cocky and takes bosses down with ease. Combined with 5 styles and a range of weapons he can switch to in a instant. I believe the term is character development.

That was character development I enjoyed because Dante was still the Dante I liked and he became even more awesome with each game (except DMC2 and DmC). Where is he now? He's starting out as the most hated character in HnS history and will continue to be the most hated character in HnS history unless he returns to the badass he was.

Same thing with Lara. Classic Lara started out awesome and just became more and more awesome. Now she started as a crybaby and will keep on being a whiny crybaby from now on because that's what this god awful generation of gamers want, no badasses, just crybabies.

8BitHero

Scrub
Lara has been rebooted twice and now has 3 origin stories, 2 of them involved no crying and no whining, she just took it like the badass she's famous for and just became more badass, that's the Lara I became a fan of and the Lara I want. Now in this origin story she's a pathetic man needing baby who's gonna grow into a full grown crybaby that modern fanboys/fangirls will claim to be badass. That's not the Lara I want, hell I'd take Nathan Drake over that Lara. Not to mention the game just flat out sucked and had nothing Tomb Raider about it apart from the f**king name.

That was character development I enjoyed because Dante was still the Dante I liked and he became even more awesome with each game (except DMC2 and DmC). Where is he now? He's starting out as the most hated character in HnS history and will continue to be the most hated character in HnS history unless he returns to the badass he was.
You've still completely missed, no, ignored what I said about origin stories.

Same thing with Lara. Classic Lara started out awesome and just became more and more awesome. Now she started as a crybaby and will keep on being a whiny crybaby from now on because that's what this god awful generation of gamers want, no badasses, just crybabies.
Like that dude in your signature? The one that started out as a naked cartwheeler to then slicing 10 story tall nuke firing robots? Definitely not bad arse compared to what he used to be like.
Or Eddie Riggs in your avatar clearly isn't "badass".

mqdefault.jpg

I know you've just been impaled through the skull Lara, but FFS stop moaning about it.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Like that dude in your signature? The one that started out as a naked cartwheeler to then slicing 10 story tall nuke firing robots? Definitely not bad arse compared to what he used to be like.
Or Eddie Riggs in your avatar clearly isn't "badass".

mqdefault.jpg

I know you've just been impaled through the skull Lara, but FFS stop moaning about it.
That's the Legendary Lara Croft now, nothing more than a crybaby and a punching bag.

Eddie Riggs is a badass and one hell of an awesome character, all he does is be awesome, he never wastes my time with a "believable" story or being a whiner.

As for Raiden, yeah he started out as a whiner, I hated that Raiden, but I really like what he is now, all he does is slice giant robots into sushi. He started out pathetic but became a badass and even better, a badass that doesn't waste my time with being "believable" or "relatable", he's just awesome.
I know Lara isn't gonna go that way, she's gonna be a weak female crybaby for the next 10 years. Lara will never be awesome again, except to story hounds.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
That's the Legendary Lara Croft now, nothing more than a crybaby and a punching bag.

Eddie Riggs is a badass and one hell of an awesome character, all he does is be awesome, he never wastes my time with a "believable" story or being a whiner.

As for Raiden, yeah he started out as a whiner, I hated that Raiden, but I really like what he is now, all he does is slice giant robots into sushi. He started out pathetic but became a badass and even better, a badass that doesn't waste my time with being "believable" or "relatable", he's just awesome.
I know Lara isn't gonna go that way, she's gonna be a weak female crybaby for the next 10 years. Lara will never be awesome again, except to story hounds.

I love how you automatically think Lara wont'be as good as past all because of an origin story. You make it sound as if most of these characters popped out of the womb as badasses, when really, they started off as weaklings and were weak at one point in their lives.

KillerIsDeadFor Real

I love how you automatically think Lara wont'be as good as past all because of an origin story. You make it sound as if most of these characters popped out of the womb as badasses, when really, they started off as weaklings and were weak at one point in their lives.

No no. Apparently no one cares about plot. Mindless violence and terrible plots are the way to go!

KillerIsDeadFor Real

Don't forget those horrid under developed characters. Those are sure to win a fanbase. if DMC2-4 can do it, so can other games!

Ignorance is bliss they say.

And hey, maybe they can copy what was in the last game, and put in the next! gamers are to full of mountain dew and Doritos to notice a thing!

GENIUS!

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
They DID start out as badasses, the first game they were in, they were badasses, those are the characters I became a fan of and the characters I want, this Tomb Raider isn't only an origin story, it's the 2nd reboot in the franchise, so now there's 3 alternate realities for Tomb Raider, 2 of them involving her as an unbeatable & sexy badass.
You really think this new Lara is just gonna willy nilly turn into that badass babe I became a fan of in her next game and all this relatable, story driven crap is gonna get f**ked and go away? If so then YAY!! But I know that's not gonna happen, she's gonna be the boring and pathetic baby the so called "fans" consider a badass.

DragonMaster2010

Ignorance is bliss they say.

And hey, maybe they can copy what was in the last game, and put in the next! gamers are to full of mountain dew and Doritos to notice a thing!

GENIUS!

No! Don't say that! Fans are too busy stuffing their faces with pizza and strawberry sundaes and saying "I'll never buy another DMC game again!' The second DMC5 comes, all is forgiven!

Wow, our fanbase is sooo mature and dedicated!

DragonMaster2010

They DID start out as badasses, the first game they were in, they were badasses, those are the characters I became a fan of and the characters I want, this Tomb Raider isn't only an origin story, it's the 2nd reboot in the franchise, so now there's 3 alternate realities for Tomb Raider, 2 of them involving her as an unbeatable & sexy badass.
You really think this new Lara is just gonna willy nilly turn into that badass babe I became a fan of in her next game and all this relatable, story driven crap is gonna get f**ked and go away? If so then YAY!! But I know that's not gonna happen, she's gonna be the boring and pathetic baby the so called "fans" consider a badass.

And move on. Find another outlet of gaming.

8BitHero

Scrub

Fine. I quit this thread. DragonMaster and K-I-D, I bid you good luck and farewell.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
No no. Apparently no one cares about plot. Mindless violence and terrible plots are the way to go!
Mindless violence and terrible average plots in games that are meant to be that way? Insta-buy.
Full focus on story and characters in games that were created to be that way? Will check out.
Boring believble story and full focus on characters in action games that are meant to be about mindless action? BORING!!

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
So you've played MGR I see.
Yes I did and had loads of fun slicing giant robots into sushi and listening to that badass soundtrack while not giving a single f**k about the story. I believe you should have quoted the top sentence for that one lol

DragonMaster2010

Yes I did and had loads of fun slicing giant robots into sushi and listening to that badass soundtrack while not giving a single f**k about the story. I believe you should have quoted the top sentence for that one lol

Naw, I'd rather play a good game then ninja gaidan 3's less then impressive brother.

Top Bottom