• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't know why people are so upset that Dante swears in this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

s8ntmark

He swears quite frequently in the anime. I'm watching it right now, and so far he's said the SH word a few times and in the last episode called the Warden of a Demon prison a Chubby F**k (or was it Tasty F**k, don't remember). Regardless, it's clearly not outside Dante's character to use swear words.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
well there is a topic for this somewhere around here, but a lot of the people I ran into on the topic did not have a problem with him swearing in general, it was that they felt it was "overused" in a way that made NT look like they where trying to force the whole "edgy" thing on us.

They felt it wasn't executed properly.

s8ntmark

well there is a topic for this somewhere around here, but a lot of the people I ran into on the topic did not have a problem with him swearing in general, it was that they felt it was "overused" in a way that made NT look like they where trying to force the whole "edgy" thing on us.

That makes sense.

DankestDarkness

Wondering sprit from hell

I felt the same way that they used it to much as a excuse just to plug in the holes in the dialounge it was funny but kinda shows your writing ain't solid if every sentence gotta have one

Swearing is fine. But there's so many better words to use to sound witty or get your point across.

They're just power words at best. I didn't like Dante's swearing in the anime either.
Point is, you can have a mature game without swearing. Resident Evil 2 doesn't have any swearing IIRC. maybe the word 'bastard' gets mentioned once. I dunno.

You'd have to be pretty good at convincing me that the swearing in the succubus encounter scene was completely necessary.

The word that got filtered btw is the B word with 6 extra letters.

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
I think people are just hyping up the excuses against the new Dante because some people didn't like the reboot. So finding this, they complain about it I suppose.

Your information is correct about the anime so I don't know why people are giving the extra hate :( Poor Dante.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Because there's a difference between using swears in your writing and relying on swears in your writing, when you try to make your character edgey just by making him swear alot then most people will just facepalm at you.

An example being that as bad as people say comic books were in the 90s for this, they didn't simply rely on swearing to get the point across that a situation was bad or the story was going to be dark/edgey. DmC fails on this account by having Dante swear FAR more then he previously had ever done, to the point where people who see through this kind of writing as the lazy and uninteresting drivel that it is.

Essentially you can write a character's dialouge and have him react in a way that doesn't ALWAYS involve swearing, that's the difference between good writing and just being lazy.

D H

I don't have anything against swearing as long as it isn't forced or overused. The anime was just as bad as DmC in this regard as the swearing Dante and Lady did never felt natural. DmC not only sounds unnatural, it so overuses swearing that the dialogue comes across as something a middle schooler who had just discovered swearing would write.

S.F.W

King of Hearts
I pretty much didn't pay any attention to the amount of swearing that was used. The reason for this being it didn't really appeal to me . The way Dante used swear words was kind of funny, but to reiterate some previous posts, it seemed forced.
But overall swearing is fine. It's a reboot blah blah new take blah blah modern and so on. Nothing to be too concerned about.

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
Yeah there is another topic about this somewhere but I feel the same way. I don't even notice it and it fits his character just fine, actually if he didn't in some points it would be just awkward in my opinion. Sure they could have substituted some of the words with a corny insult like the older games for some of the swears but I really didn't see any problem with them in this game. I mean you can claim that swearing is just a lack of knowledge over language, which can be true, but I still see more 13 year olds swearing 10x more in a an half hour than in this entire game if not much more.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
'Che. Dante's in his early twenties (THE GAME SAYS EARLY 20'S, PEOPLE! GAME CANON BEATS WHATEVER PRE-GAME INTERVIEWS!) People in their early 20's cuss a lot. I'm from 103'rd and Wade Park, Cleveland, Ohio. I've heard words that'll make sailors blush.

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
I guess they didn't watch DMC Anime.

I watched both the Japanese and English dub and in the English dub they took out I'd say half of them if not more if I remember correctly. I speak both English and Japanese fluently so I am not basing my myself off of subs that could be inaccurate. This happens in every anime that is English dubbed, they cut back on everything. Even so your point is still valid since he does still cuss a bit in both either way. People will respond to you by saying " the anime sucked anyways" or something stupid like that to avoid the actually point you are making though so >_< However I still loved it!

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
This isn't a case of "Getting over it" anymore, heck for me it never WAS, it was never the point of him swearing being the problem, we aren't children or some asinine parental group here so please don't try and use that as an excuse to brush aside the real issue:

Whoever wrote Dante's dialogue isn't creative and did a lazy job of it, plain and simple, there are plenty of different ways to have your character express themselves but they made Dante "dark and edgy" which might have been interesting had somebody informed NT that dark and edgy doesn't mean "spiteful douchebag" Kratos has that area covered thank you very much and HE manages to convey more emotion and that is saying something.

I'd like some emotional variance, that's all i'm asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom