• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I can has cookies?

StrifeRazoR

Ok, so, new to the forums (Hi everyone) and I just "snagged" DMC4 for my PC last night. Sat up all night and played until I got to mission 13. Once my eyes were bleeding, I decided to call it quits (Work sucks). But here's my weird problem...At mission 12, or 11...when you switch to Dante...it sucks. Well, to me it does. After playing as Nero and having the awesome abilities that he has, even using Dante and his ability to switch styles on the fly...just doesn't seem to compare to me. Any one else feel that way?

Sorry about the weird thread title. But seriously, can I have some cookies?

Sparda™

^ I think Dante is better at combos and is more innovative. Nero is plain boring, and as powerful as he may seem, his combos are repetitive.

Dante is more fresh. Lucifer and Pandora are awesome. Just learn each styles' powerful points and you'll see Dante is way more fun.

Well, that's me!:D

Koemi

half-breed
First, a warm welcome, but guess I'll keep the cookie part to myself =]

I was like you - after getting use to Nero's buster moves, playing as Dante feels odd... btw, I am a newbie to DMC series and DMC4 is my first game of this series. Just replay mission 12 many... many times and you'll get to love Dante's fire and devil arms. And later on, you'd wonder why can't you play the rest [missions] with Dante as well ;)

MochaCub

ReadzMangaS
Dante Aseroth;117819 said:
^ I think Dante is better at combos and is more innovative. Nero is plain boring, and as powerful as he may seem, his combos are repetitive.

Truest statement I've heard all day.

Zato-OW

King
Well this would be well known from the start. It was admitted that Dante will outshine Nero before the game even came out.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
StrifeRazoR;117816 said:
Ok, so, new to the forums (Hi everyone) and I just "snagged" DMC4 for my PC last night. Sat up all night and played until I got to mission 13. Once my eyes were bleeding, I decided to call it quits (Work sucks). But here's my weird problem...At mission 12, or 11...when you switch to Dante...it sucks. Well, to me it does. After playing as Nero and having the awesome abilities that he has, even using Dante and his ability to switch styles on the fly...just doesn't seem to compare to me. Any one else feel that way?

Sorry about the weird thread title. But seriously, can I have some cookies?

This shows that you are new to DMC series.Nero has all same moves,no new weapons,etc.Dante has far more skills and combos than he is,like Dante and Porkyking said.I am not Anti-Nero,but this is a fact.

Koemi

half-breed
DA: *pull E&I out and shoot DA at forehead, then get back cookie* hmmm.... :p c'mon Dante, you can't die from a wound like this =]

^ it's okay to be newbie - I was like that about a month ago; but now, I just can't play DMC4 without Dante - nothing like pinning down Dagon with Lucifer, and use Royal Guard against Echidna :D :D not do mention the God pod ;)

-B.(o).C-®

涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 SOS団
Dante Aseroth;117819 said:

Dante is more fresh. Lucifer and Pandora are awesome. Just learn each styles' powerful points and you'll see Dante is way more fun.

Well, that's me!:D
Look, can we skip all of the obvious and just say his coat pwns?

StrifeRazoR

Chaos Master;117894 said:
This shows that you are new to DMC series.Nero has all same moves,no new weapons,etc.Dante has far more skills and combos than he is,like Dante and Porkyking said.I am not Anti-Nero,but this is a fact.

New to the DMC series? DMC was the first game I bought for my PS2, 5 months after the console was released. I bought DMC2 2 weeks after it came out. I borrowed my friends DMC3 when he got it. I finally got a decent computer and played DMC3SE (I have many videos up of me pulling off the perfect score in many missions). The fact of the matter is, throughout all of the games, Dante is just...well...Dante. Nero is fresh for me. Even Virgil bored the living crap out of me. (Yes, there's even a video of me getting a perfect score as Virgil in DMC3SE). I'm a DMC freak. I love it, can't live without it. I was hesitant to play this one due to the fact that you're not Dante the entire time. And after playing it (Just beat it about an hour ago) I still think Nero is my favorite. His style is something different from the rest of the characters. Sure, he only has one sword. Sure, he can be a little repetitive. But he is quite possibly the coolest character to take down a boss. That's just my opinion, but I love the style. I was taken aback from my previous notions that the game would be boring without a 24/7 Dante. But it isn't, and I welcome Nero in any upcomming DMC game.

Kiluwastrife

Dante Aseroth;117857 said:
^ Koemi! Now, handle the cookies to Mr.Dante here! Nice and slow...Good girl!...:D

...lol

The only thing that saves Nero from making me bored is his Devil Arm... honestly it's convenience and has it's own cool moves... but besides that... Nero's Skill is actually quite lacking and VERY similar to Dante's... one skill for thrust, one skill for upward attack, one skill for downward...etc. Vergil <on the other hand> was quite "original"... anyone agreed?

StrifeRazoR

In all honesty, it boils down to lack of weapons. Sure, Pandora is cool, but I miss Agni/Rudra and Cerberus. Those were my favorite weapons of all time. Even Beowulf was pretty awesome. It's just all been done before, and Nero is a change for me. I mean, don't get me wrong, Dante has way more versatility and is just overall "better" at killing than Nero. But as you said, it was stated early on that Dante would surpass Nero in terms of performance. I think this is Nero's first role, and he'll get better over time. I'm not bashing Dante though. I don't even use Pandora. I use Gilgamesh primarily with Swordmaster and Trickster. I've never liked Gunslinger. Royal Guard has it's uses, but they're few and far between for my liking.

*EDIT* I mean FFS...the dude's sword has a combustion engine in it...how cool is that crap?

lawltank

I agreed with you on what you said about Nero. He isn't all that bad imo too. I like Dante too, but he lacks in DMC4 for me because the usual fighting areas in the game is pretty open spaced, which is annoying when half of Dante's moves send the enemies flying across the screen. He was better in DMC3 when, even though Dante has pretty much the same moves, you could rape an enemy against the wall no problem. On the other hand, Nero has his Devil Arm so he can bring enemies towards him.

You know, come to think of it, I bet if you combo with Dante without making the enemy soar away from you, the skills you would use are very limited and repetitive just like Nero.

But all in all, they're both good characters to play...imo, it's more of the game being set around Nero (I'm talking about the wide open areas you fight in) that makes Dante less fun to play for me. Just keep practicing with Dante and I'm sure you'll start liking him in DMC4.

And yeah, I love Nero's sword too, sexy. :lol:

Sparda™

lawltank;118420 said:
I agreed with you on what you said about Nero. He isn't all that bad imo too. I like Dante too, but he lacks in DMC4 for me because the usual fighting areas in the game is pretty open spaced, which is annoying when half of Dante's moves send the enemies flying across the screen. He was better in DMC3 when, even though Dante has pretty much the same moves, you could rape an enemy against the wall no problem. On the other hand, Nero has his Devil Arm so he can bring enemies towards him.

You know, come to think of it, I bet if you combo with Dante without making the enemy soar away from you, the skills you would use are very limited and repetitive just like Nero.

But all in all, they're both good characters to play...imo, it's more of the game being set around Nero (I'm talking about the wide open areas you fight in) that makes Dante less fun to play for me. Just keep practicing with Dante and I'm sure you'll start liking him in DMC4.

And yeah, I love Nero's sword too, sexy. :lol:

Dante's combos are NEVER repetitive. You have 5 styles to combine yourself. Nero is very repetitive on the other hand. Snatch, buster, Red Queen move, buster, Red Queen move...annoying.

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
well lets see i personaly really like Dante....there is kinda a running joke with my friend's from college, that i am in love with Dante. and i am. lol. well i was playing dmc 4 at my ex's house....he had beaten the game and i wanted to play it and obivously as Dante. and my ex said not to under estimate the power of Nero and i esentially said that Nero could go blow himself...which caused my ex's current girlfriend laughed even though she doesn't know jack sh*t about DMC (btw we are friends)....well i played as Dante for a while and then he switched it up and made me play through from the beginning with Nero. and i got to Gloria's enterance. so that is my dmc 4 story....

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I think Nero's style is actually better for those not so familiar with DMC...I can't even begin to remember how to make Dante do this or that but I know with Nero it's fairly straightforward - nothing too complex. With Dante I couldn't do better than a C rating. With Nero, I can get the odd S (oh the joys of button mashing! :lol:)

Nero's options are far more suited, IMO, to those who are brand spanking new to the game - an easier route rather than jumping straight in as Dante with no prior knowledge of his moves and specialities. Considering some of those DMC4 players may never have owned a DMC game before in their life because they don't have a Playstation anything, it's kind of ideal to start with Nero and then progress to Dante and learning how to get to grips with his skills before trying out the other DMC games.

The n00b has spoken :p

Zato-OW

King
I remember my first time playing DMC3, Dante was so damn hard to play with it was fustrating because he felt so stiff. But yeah thats the good thing about him because it made you want to practice him more and more.But yeah DMC3 Dante had a very vet feel to him, it was deffinently not a newcomers game by far. Now Nero is very easy to play with and the DB makes it that more easier,but he was to appeal to the new people coming in so I guess it was a good idea to have him that way. My only concern is that, there is no real deepness into his fighting system and everything about him gets too repetitive.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Maybe that's purposeful because it may whet the appetite for non PS gamers to go and try out the other games? And as some have already said, Nero may well get more complex in his fighting styles in later games - but for now he's drawing in the crowds and getting more people interested in DMC as a franchise...

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
well i started dmc 1 and at first i was only able to whip out dull and the next one above that...but now i've played the game so much...that now i can whip out stylish combos without devil triggering.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
As people said, Nero definitely is not a bad new guy. (Personally I only hate the fact that he's related to Sparda. If he was related to whichever mighty devil he wanted I wouldn't be so annoyed with his existence.)

He's user-friendly, as he's quite easy to play with, but he does have some moves which make it feel more professional - like the moves you can only use while on Devil Trigger. Remember Dante in the first Devil May Cry. He had few moves and not even a style, but he got popular very fast. Nero's not bad, but he just came into existence in place of our beloved Dante and that ticked us off mainly. We grew to love Dante all over the years/games, learning how to use him and his style better and better. And now a newbie who is "worse" appears and steals all the spotlight. It's normal that some of us would get annoyed. But seriously give him a chance. He could grow to become a really nice character;)

Top Bottom