• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How would you have changed the story? Or the game itself?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Foreword: All of this is my opinion, and therefore be treated as such. Not right, not wrong, but merely opinion

*SPOILERS*

I keep seeing people... even some of the fans saying... that their expectations weren't met with the story and the game. If that's the case with you, how would you have done it?

As for the game, maybe someone could come up with a DMC4 PC mod with a DmC Dante skin, and see how that plays out, just to get an idea of what it would be like if it had "different gameplay". I won't say it's either better nor worse, just different, in my opinion. Or even a DMC3 reskin just to see the difference.

I keep seeing how the combat itself is supposed to be made for set-ups more than spamming Jump-Cancels.

To tell the truth, I'm still on the fence on that one. I could just say, "make it like DMC4's control system and call it a day," but then we would just end up going back to the reskin mod issue.

I'll edit in a proper control scheme when I come up with one that I'm good with. Putting all these functions into one controller can be tricky, even with styles. And with the style system, you have to keep pressing the d-pad, which I think can be improved.

As for now, I'll just put in the "starter" ideas:

Before I do that though, I'll just say that I'll keep it at 30 fps only because the PS3 isn't quite as powerful (reportedly) as today's PC's, therefore couldn't keep up with both the "Limbo effects" and 60 fps at the same time.

-No color-coded enemies (it limits combo possibilities, they are not combat adjudicators)

-More enemy variety.

-More difficult AI.

-An additional DT like the one Vergil has.

Lock-on (yes, really) but with also the option to have auto-lock on as well.

-No Angel mode.

The angel part of the story was never really looked into -- I'm sure they were saving all that for a sequel, but since that doesn't seem likely, I'm going to have to go with a complete story right here, and put another mode in lieu of Angel.

-Human/Demon/Cambion stances (or human/demon/hybrid).

-There were two types of demon weapons, and two types of angel weapons. There should have been two types of human weapons as well.

-Eva could have been a magic-using human who had to fight against the demons sometime in the past. She and Sparda could have met during a skirmish somehow, and while they at first hated each other, they could still find some common ground. They fall in love, and they have Dante and Vergil.

If Kat was a human that could use magic, then Eva should have been one as well, instead of having to make her an Angel, instead... and for no reason.

Osiris and Aquila could have been weapons created out of human (and magical) ingenuity. Everyone considers the Egyptians to have been way ahead of their time back in ancient history, so they could have worked that into the story as well.

-The Angels in the story could have been non-caring, passive-aggressive manipulators who simply say that "God works in mysterious ways" or "humans brought this upon themselves with their sins".

Apologies in advance for anyone who's religious. I'm just trying to work that element into my own version of the story.

-Instead of making Rebellion a human weapon, they could have made a Hybrid (cambion) weapon, therefore, making Rebellion and Yamato truly unique in regards to Dante and Vergil.

So, to reiterate:

-Cambion: Rebellion, Yamato, and two additional weapons (one for each brother).

-Magical Human: Aquila, Osiris

-Demon: Arbiter, Eryx (unchanged, except maybe to add feet in addition to the giant hands)

-Royal Guard instead of a Demon Dodge.

This one is pretty much unanimous with almost everyone. I haven't really figured out which abilities would go where, but for now, I guess I would keep almost everything the way it is, and maybe just change that one thing.

If I think of anything else in regards to combat, I'll edit it in and just put it in bold.

-More variety in platforming.

As we've seen in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, action-heavy doesn't always mean 100% action. They managed to work in a lot of different platforming sections, without breaking the flow of the gameplay, either.

-Change the ending (maybe).

Everyone knew that this fight was going to happen. However, it just happened too suddenly for some people's tastes. So, instead of Vergil wanting to take over, we'll just have Dante be the bad guy.

Wait what??

-Dante as the bad guy at the end.

Let me explain. Dante has been mistreated by demons his whole life and humans pretty much ignored his pain. If he was keeping all that down inside, he could have just as easily gone mad at the end (the DT infecting his brain and making him lose his sanity) and wanted to destroy humanity for not helping him.

Vergil fights him, and the two reach a stalemate, due to the fact that both are equally powerful. Dante leaves on his own after realizing the error of his ways, Vergil leaves for Limbo in disgust, and Kat is left alone.

Yeah it's bleak, but sometimes a bleak ending is called for, especially with a game that was going for a darker tone.

It's not the best reason, but making Dante the villain at the end would have provided a twist no one say coming. How the twist happens, however, doesn't necessarily have to occur in that way, I'm just trying to come up with a better alternative.

-Anyway, frame-cancels should be added into every weapon, and combos should lose that "stickiness" that some people said were in the game.

I can't think of anything else for now, but I'll edit this post if I do.

Edit:
In DmC, the combat system is far more streamlined. The ability to pause combo into other weapons is something I believe all future DMCs should have.

Forgot about this feature. CheeseKao said it better than I ever could have.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I was not really that underwhelmed by the game. It met my expectations of being a good hack&slay.
But still there are a few things that could make it better for me:

I guess, ever since I saw that cutscene with Dante jumping down this hole, where Kat twists gravity with her egg timer, I wanted some kind of 2,5D level, which would be a throwback to good old Mega Man! Maybe even put a boss at the end....

I also would've incorporated the button combinations a lot more. Meaning, I would've used the launcher buttons like the pause-combo weapon switching, giving it different properties when launching enemies. For example, with the normal button press of the button you would get hightime, bit if you would use it before using the last swing of death coil, you would get some king of double up styled high-time.
The guns would be used in these combinations too, giving you some kind of shooting combos, which Dante partly has in Playstation All Stars. I'd also give guns and the launcher the stinger-type inputs, just to create variety in moves.

Demon Weapons just need some more combo moves, especially in the air...
I would gibe the Arbiter that spinning move that Nevan had in DMC3, only that it's just the Axe head, thats spins around you.
Haven't thought about anything else in that department.

The enemies are fine, I'd simply re-design the Angel and Demon enemies to have elemental attacks, similar to the Frosts for example.
I'd leave in witches like they are now however, since I think they really add a nice tactical element to the combat.

But above all, I'd let the bosses become more like the ones in Dark Souls. Let them be big, but still mobile!
I could live with bob staying how he is though, since he was one of these atmospheric things.
Poison for example could have been a 3 stage boss fight, first you release her from the ceiling, then the real fight starts, where she is crawling around the ground, using some of her moves like Phantom in DMC1, and the last phase is her swimming in the pool of goo, coming out of it like some kind of sea monster, crashing the platform you stand on more and more, all the while you have to do damage to her. And in the end you a barrier would be destroyed letting her get dragged into the ventilator, mixing her up like we all know.

There is a lot more I would change (the Angel stuff, either take it out or elaborate on it like it was said already) but I don't have time to think a lot of these things through right now, maybe later, when I get back to DmC:Legacy... sometime around next week I hope...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I would do more with the cinimatic cutscenes. They were good on there own, but I felt they needed more of that DMC3 feel with the "f*ck gravity" department since gameplay FOCUSES on defying gravity.

Keep those crappy anime cliche ass of lines out of the dialogue. But also make the lines a little better. Maybe have Dante swear less and come off more as a Jersey Shore douchebag, then grow to be a better person as the game goes on.

Make the bosses a lot harder. Make them so hard that its DMC3 level hard. They're bosses. Make them so hard I rage quit when I play DMD mode.

Make Vergil better. I hated Vergil in this game cause he seemed like the guy that talked sh*t but couldn't back it up too well. So I'd make him talk all that sh*t but make him a bit more capable of holding out on his own. And yes, Vergil would still say he has the bigger d*ck. Because Vergil would be boring if he didn't say something out of the ordinary at least once.

Tone down the club level. I mean really! All those flashing lights in my eyes! That hurt really badly.

Flesh out Kat's character a bit more. Do for her what they did for Dante when it came to revealing her past with art pictures.

Do more with the Mundus battle. Make it almost impossible to get through in DMD mode.

Tone down that Demon Dodge. Its too powerful and I'd like it boosted down. I don't want another broken OP uppercut punch like DMC3 where I can just repeat that over and over again to kill my enemies in a few seconds, or that DT+Stinger in DMC4.

NO. COLORED. ENEMIES. Whoever thought of that should be shot in the foot.

Improve the DLC costume of his classic clothes. That hair looks really stupid on him.

Make rebellion transform just as it did with DMC3. But it transforms at the same time he gets his DT.

At the end of the game after the credits, there could be a small cutscene of Dante setting up Devil May Cry and such.

Other then that the game's pretty perfect in my opinion.

nephlim god

I loved the game and tbh i wish people would give it a break . I like the whole idea of a parallel universe and diffrent events taking place. It isnt dmc3 or dm4 its diffrent . Cant we all just accept where DmC is going because in my opinion and many others its going in the right direction

Re-posting what I said in another thread

I just want

-Stylish Combat
-Easy gameplay for a new audience who can't deal with a learning curve
-Jump cancelling to be a hard task to master like it was in the other games
-Enemies to not make it obvious they're about to attack me
-Styles
-60fps on consoles
-DMC4 engine
-No SSS ranks based on damage
-Bionic commando to sort itself out and not be in my DMC game. (I like Bionic Commando)
-Original plot, Yeah I liked They Live, The plot with the guy thinking he's Dante was cool, they could have went with that and not have the original Dante appear at all because he's dead or something
-Dante to be a cool guy
-Slash cancelling
-Enemies to not leave me alone because they're off screen

Sorry for being nitpicky I just think there's room for improvement, look at Sonic 2006, that went out of its way to call itself "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG" meaning this is the reboot, Sonic 1 is a thing of the past and look where that game got itself, Sonic Team tacked on the ending where the game makes itself non-canon because they knew the game was going to fail.

Keep DmC around if you want, just improve please. I played the first and I'd like to see what they do with the second./quote]

Oh, and when you say you want a wider audience that doesn't mean **** off the classic DMC fans. That lost you sales. 'widen' does not mean 'replace' do business like professionals.

Terrutas

All they had to do is put more action into the cutscenes, like the Dante vs Vergil fight. I also was about to say the ending too but VD might fix that.
Yeah the glitches and broken bosses are perfectly fine.

The game was decent,had a couple of neat ideas but it was just poorly executed and quite unworthy of the Devil May Cry name,in my opinion.

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
It needed more geckos licking cheerios. :l
Seeing that gif was the greatest moment ever created...made me happy...sad geckos and cheerios is gone.
huehue, you guys have NO idea what I'm talking about.

ReRave

smug jerk
Well, imo they should have expanded on the story a lot. For the amount of hype NT generated about the deep and dark story, it turned out really flat and uninspired.
I'll just go ahead and list some things that would a) have been great passages to be explored via gameplay and b) would have made the whole thing a lot more logical lore-wise:

- Explain how "Mediums" are made, came to be or whatever

- More info about how Dante and Vergil interact with Limbo, e.g.: Why do some things that break in Limbo also break in the real world, but not all of them?

- Expand on the Devil Trigger-mechanic. I love the DT in this game, though it's only usable in very short bursts, but it's never really explained where it comes from. Is it the demon side leaking through? Angelic powers? Or do Nephilim just have that ability generally? The whole hidden potential-speech of Phineas was way too vague.

- Maybe some flashback-scenes, where you play as an even younger Dante in the various institutions he was in. Not even necessary to make those real combat-scenes. Cineasticity (is that even a word?) is important too.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The game was decent,had a couple of neat ideas but it was just poorly executed and quite unworthy of the Devil May Cry name,in my opinion.

Thank you. What a refreshing change of pace it is when one does not state one's opinion as pure fact. :)

Top Bottom