• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How to best play through DMC3 VERGIL mode

MKH Spartan

Ok, against Nevan, I find her one of the easiest bosses in DMC3 because every single attack of hers is telegraphed by a unique animation/sound effect, that once you know how to deal with each one, you should be able to beat her without getting hit without too much hassle. I'll refer to each of her moves by the cues they give and how I get around them each time. There may be alternative ways on some, but these are the ways I do it:

• When she moves sideways and says "How's this?", she sends a swarm of bats at you while moving. Simply run the opposite way from her, jumping while moving isn't usually required but feel free to do it if it looks like they are a bit too close.
  • "Now you will become tired", she summons pillars of lightning from the ground. If you are close to her when she starts this, land a Starfall hit on her with Beowulf then just run sidways, as long as you keep moving in a straight line, this move can't hit you.
  • "Dose of lightning", just run sideways and jump when the bats come out for good measure, you can often hit her with Starfall in her recovery but it can be risky (you can often fit a Starfall in after her moves, it just depends how risky you want to play it).
  • I don't think it has an audio cue, but when she does what looks like a backflip, just back off and it won't reach you. This can only hit you if you are very close to her.
  • "Get ready" is her "Please hit me for trying this move". If she tries this either a) Hit her with all 3 hits of Judgement Cut, nets you an instant SSS for style and knocks the bats out instantly or if you aren't confident with judgement cut use Spiral Swords + Beowulf's Lunar Phase after the third spin and it will either knock her shield out or get it very low.
  • She is weak to Light (so Beowulf), so prioritise using this when you knock her shield down. I also use force edge for the faster cancel frames on Stinger, Helm Breaker etc for the last hits, because when she brings the bats back up it will injure you if you are near her, so jump away just before she does it.
  • When she shocks the whole floor with lightning either a) Run on the stage beside/in front of her, it won't hit you or b) Jump + Trick Up + Aerial Rave with Yamato to avoid it. With Dante, just Air Hike plus shoot E&I and laugh as it will never hit you.
  • If she ever stops to laugh like a maniac, hit her, she is open and saying "Hit me!" under that laughter.
  • For all the lightning pillars she sends across the stage, simply just step them, if you look at how they are angled on the stage, you can predict where they will go.
  • When she is low health and tries to give you a nice hug & kiss, keep shooting her with Summoned Swords, wall jump above her, then DT Starfall and wail on her with Beowulf, if that doesn't kill her, simply do it a second time then she will be dead.
  • If you screw up and get grabbed by her, you can break out of it by using DT (if you don't have DT, well..... ouch, just don't get grabbed, it's easy to deal with once you get the hang of it).
Hopefully that helps you against Nevan, now for Lady I haven't played against her with Vergil in ages, but I can tell you how to do it with Dante and some of them work for Vergil too:

• Start of the battle, just stay behind cover and wait for her to set her rocket up, then Kill Bee on her with Beowulf, do the standard 3 hit Beowulf combo followed up by the first 3 hits of the second Rebellion combo, then jump away to away her spin and shoot move (if you aren't sure how that looks, look at the Lady battle I posted above)
  • Once she loses about 1/3 of her health, she will go in top "I have infinite grenades mode". Wait on top of one of the four pillars in the room, wait for her to land on one of the two next to you, once she does, activate Quicksilver, hop over and just beat on her with Beowulf, if you are lucky, that might be enough to drop her down to her next phase, if not, repeat the above.
  • Last phase, just repeat what you did for her first phase, simple as that.
  • If you aren't comboing her with Beowulf/Rebellion at the time, wait either behind a wall, or on top of one of the 4 pillars/bookshelves around the place and keep firing E&I at her (if you are Vergil, Spiral Swords have the same effect of defecting her standard shots). He careful, some shots like her spin and shoot move can't be defected.
  • With Vergil, when she goes into her grenade phase, since he doesn't have Quicksilver like Dante it is a bit harder, but you can either a) Risk it and hop in with Beowulf, can be dangerous or b) Sit back on a pillar with Spiral Swords to stop bullets and Judgement Cut her (much safer), need to get the hang of where to stand as Judgement Cut moves you back in the animation however.
  • For comboing her with Vergil, I could be wrong as I haven't done it in ages, but I think you Starfall, followed up by two Beowulf hits, followed by 4 from Force Edge then two from Yamato, then jump away and get behind something, since you don't have Air Hike, dodging the spin and shoot move is a bit harder. Also remember, have Spiral Swords on as much as possible if you are going for a no damage run, stops those long range bullets getting you by surprise.
Hopefully that wall of text helps you out, that's what works for me in these boss fights.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
honestly after going through with vergil i find im better with dante or nero for combat honestly i dont know why even though vergil is definitely more badass i just cant get a decent hold on his combat any tips for that?

MKH Spartan

honestly after going through with vergil i find im better with dante or nero for combat honestly i dont know why even though vergil is definitely more badass i just cant get a decent hold on his combat any tips for that?
Other than practice it can depend, some people just play better with some characters than others because it fits their playstyle better. For example, in Soul Calibur, I always play best with Siegfried, even if I go and practice another character a whole bunch, his playstyle of spacing + stance mix-ups just works really well for me.

One thing which certainly shows how good someone is with Vergil is how well they use his Darkslayer Style, it can be used to close ground on someone easily without attacking, getting over people, instantly getting back on the ground and best of all, all 3 teleports have excellent invincibility frames, making them invaluable for dodging stuff like Cerberus's Ice Storm move etc I found my Vergil play got a lot better when I began to utilise Darkslayer in combat a lot more, maybe try give that a bit of practice.

Oh, plus Spiral Swords are great lolol (seriously, I use them ALL the time, they are so helpful when you learn how to use them correctly).

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
How do you use spiral swords correctly they use your DT bar dont they??? and how do i use the darkslayer style properly?? i just cant get the timing down should i fully upgrade it before i can use it properly

MKH Spartan

How do you use spiral swords correctly they use your DT bar dont they??? and how do i use the darkslayer style properly?? i just cant get the timing down should i fully upgrade it before i can use it properly
Hold down your shoot button, default is X, myself I have it set to L1 (xbox controls), it uses 2 bars of DT and is really worth it in most battles as you can make that DT back from the Spiral Swords if you let them hit the enemies up a few times then change them to Blistering Swords (still need to check Blistering Swords is the right term lol... I think it is).

Darkslayer once maxed has 3 moves really Trick Up, which puts you above your opponents position, Trick, which teleports you towards your opponent (mid-air trick is the same thing but in mid-air) and Back Trick, which teleports you back and onto the ground, great for evading attacks and for getting back on the ground asap if required. Often if someone tries to interrupt you while you are attacking/moving, if the move can be cancelled quickly using either Trick-up or Trick-down depending on your opponent can be very good for evading their attack and putting you in place to punish them for it.
and i know how you feel with soul calibur mitsirugi for me all the way or taiki either or lol
Taki is my secondary in each game, but since she isn't in SCV I don't really have a secondary character in that game lolz.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
ive got it on the 360 as well with right trigger but i still cant get it lol but i guess i gotta pay more attention to my dt bar lol and as for the darkslayer im having the hardest time honestly with the timing and side dodging etc the van hellguard, and cerberus

MKH Spartan

If you are just having a one on one with a Hell Vanguard, he is actually pretty easy. Now when you are facing him with a group of enemies (eg Mission 12 ugh.... omg) then he is ridiculous. Just keep moving and jump if required, here is an example (I could've done better, but it shows the idea and it also demonstrates use of Darkslayer invincibility frames on him too near the end if you watch closely).

Cerberus Ice Storm move is always hard, all I can say is practice and have some luck on your side.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Thanks a lot for all the help its my hope to just s rank all the lvls one easy that way i dont have to focus onstyle when it comes to the dmd lvls i can just fight smart im just having a hard time avoid enemies with vergil using the darkslayer style im so used to trickster giving me a wider range of evaison :/

MKH Spartan

Thanks a lot for all the help its my hope to just s rank all the lvls one easy that way i dont have to focus onstyle when it comes to the dmd lvls i can just fight smart im just having a hard time avoid enemies with vergil using the darkslayer style im so used to trickster giving me a wider range of evaison :/
Yea I can S Rank most of the Levels on VMD without too much hassle, it's SSing them that I find quite hard lolz, so far I have SSed 5/20 of them with Vergil, 15 to go (well, I'm probably not going to bother with Mission 12... well, I would try it last more like lololol).

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
i am trying to put a picture into my signature on here ive found the url but its not working please help sincerly (noob)

MKH Spartan

whats your take on devil may cry 4?
I quite like it, the combat system is really good, such as Dante being able to switch styles mid combat (which I really like), Nero's a different playstyle from Dante which is good if you want to try play as someone else. I do dislike how the 20 Missions are split between both characters, so you only get to play as Dante in 7 of them in which you fight the bosses Nero had to fight, the only exception being the Saviour battle, which is interesting.

Also as a Vergil main, I don't like how I don't get to play him in DMC4 (but I'm sure I'll manage lolz, the other two are more than fun enough to play).

Overall, while I think the game has a few flaws, it has a great combat system and two different playable characters, both with enjoyable and different playstyles and I can quite happily play it for ages, it's a good game.

DMC3 is still my favourite Devil May Cry game, but I would put DMC4 as a relatively close second, with DMC1 after that (I really hate how I have no proper Mission select in that game....).

Assuming they make a DMC5, give me Dante with a fighting style similar to DMC4 and Vergil with DMC3 movelist + Air Hike and I will be a very happy person.

Top Bottom